Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 10:44:22 AM EDT
I've heard in various places the proper terminology is Former Marine, not Ex-Marine.

What's the reasoning behind this? Thanks
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#1]
"There are no 'ex-Marines'"

Once a Marine, always a Marine.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#2]
it has to do with the "once a Marine, always a Marine" mentality
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Though I have heard of dishonorably discharged Marines referred to as "ex-Marines".  Dunno what the rule is for them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Though I have heard of dishonorably discharged Marines referred to as "ex-Marines".  Dunno what the rule is for them.

You might as well call yourself a Felon if you received a dishonorable.  You can't own a firearm and can't vote in most states.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:16:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You might as well call yourself a Felon if you received a dishonorable.  You can't own a firearm and can't vote in most states.  

Yup, the military only gives dishonorable discharges for really really really bad stuff, usually amounting to felonies.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Roger that.  Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've heard in various places the proper terminology is Former Marine, not Ex-Marine.

What's the reasoning behind this? Thanks

Because the Marine Corps is a brotherhood. Everyone goes through the same shit in boot camp, and there are only 2 places to go, so the training is almost the same.

It has to do with the pride of being a Marine. you don't capitalize solider, sailor, or airman, but you do Marine.

Until you go through it, you don't understand.

And the only ex-Marines are DD's & BCD.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yes there are:

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:00:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:11:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Explain please??? Im curious???

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes there are:

www.nndb.com/people/067/000039947/murtha-sized.jpg
www.abc.net.au/sydney/stories/Scott_Ritt_m829960.jpg
www.simonsays.com/assets/isbn/0743235355/C_0743235355.jpg

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Even Oswald and Swafford?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I worked with a guy that was in the USMC. I always called him an ex Marine. It never failed to get him worked up.
You would think after 10 years he would finally get the idea I was fucking with him.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:15:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC, it has been explained that the only EX-Marine is Lee Harvey Oswald.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Why would you group Oswald and Swafford together?   What did Swafford do that was so terrible?  Oswald never stood trial...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:22:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Explain please??? Im curious???

Murtha

Ritter: Link

"US defeat in Iraq 'inevitable'
26/03/2003 16:03  - (SA)  

Lisbon - The United States does not have the military means to take over Baghdad and will lose the war against Iraq, former UN weapons inspector Scott Ritter said.

"The United States is going to leave Iraq with its tail between its legs, defeated. It is a war we can not win," he told private radio TSF in an interview broadcast here on Tuesday evening.

"We do not have the military means to take over Baghdad and for this reason I believe the defeat of the United States in this war is inevitable," he said.

War 'already lost'

"Every time we confront Iraqi troops we may win some tactical battles, as we did for ten years in Vietnam, but we will not be able to win this war, which in my opinion is already lost," Ritter added.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would you group Oswald and Swafford together?   What did Swafford do that was so terrible?  Oswald never stood trial...

I just thought that the consensus here was that Swafford was a piece of Crap that crapped on his brothers with his book.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:30:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just thought that the consensus here was that Swafford was a piece of Crap that crapped on his brothers with his book.

You'd be right.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:32:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Dimebag's murderer is an Ex-Marine.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'd be right.

It isn't my "consensus" as I don't care. Opinions, his or anyone's, are free for the givin' and takin'.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He did shit on the Marine Corps with his book, but it takes worse than that for the Corps to turn it's back on you.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:05:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Dimebag's murderer is an Ex-Marine.

+1
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#22]
You do realize that Marines are technically squids, right?

ETA to add the smiley...don't take me too seriously.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:27:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

No.

The Marines are a department of the Navy alright....the MEN'S department!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

What he said! While in various guard units,there were lots of Former Marines,a real good group. Only bad thing about them was that I never kept in contact with them all. (Bruce Hodgeson, Gary Davis;wounded in Viet Nam, Kevin Eddy, Larry"Cuz" Smith, John Gauthier in San Diego, and there's more I can't remember  off hand)
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

No....I'm afraid I didn't realize that. When I went thru Parris island in 1995, at no time was I referred to as a "sailor", nor was I referred to as "sailor" at any time since, so technically you're WRONG. If I had wanted to be a sailor, I would have joined the Navy. No disrespect to the Navy intended.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:23:49 PM EDT
[#26]
"EX-" implies seperation with abandonment.

"Former" implies you are just not doing it anymore.

Kinda like a former girlfriend and an EX-girlfriend.

No Expert
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#27]
If the statement "once a marine, always a marine" is true, then there should be no former marines either, since "former" and "ex" are synonyms.  Oh well, it is just one more meaningless issue of semantics that people (in this case marines) choose to get worked up about for a lack of anything useful to do with their time.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:38:09 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Semper Fi Forever!!!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
If the statement "once a marine, always a marine" is true, then there should be no former marines either, since "former" and "ex" are synonyms.  Oh well, it is just one more meaningless issue of semantics that people (in this case marines) choose to get worked up about for a lack of anything useful to do with their time.

MArine is spelled with a capital M. Learn it, live it, love it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:34:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I sincerely hope you are bullshitting us.

My closest friend is a Marine (got out in 93) I am a former soldier. The ribbing knows no bounds between us. One thing I can count on is his loyalty to me and the knowledge that he would spare nothing to save my ass if I was in a bind. (Hence the Motto: Semper Fidelis).

As I understand it, Being a marine is a committment for life. Once you commit to the Corps, the Corps will take you into its arms forever. You could be broke and homeless on the streets devoid of all material things the one thing you do have is the Corps.

To minimize thier title is unjustifiable. It is a right you have not earned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top