Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/23/2013 9:58:30 AM EDT
Charcoal
Gas
Electric
Wood
other

Also....bump it....argue....do what you guys do best.

For me it's Charcoal and then add some hardwood chunks for smoke....if it's wanted.

I often hear....taste the meat...not the heat........but I have to disagree with that statement.

You also hear that gas is faster and easier....In my opinion, if your looking for speed when it comes to grilling, you're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:05:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Charcoal and wood.

Taste, etc.

Can smoke stuff with it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:06:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Charcoal and wood.

Taste, etc.

Can smoke stuff with it.
View Quote

I've smoked stuff with gas, but it isn't as good.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Charcoal and my new Visions ceramic grill.  Awesome flavor and moisture retention.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends on the situation. Venue, company, occasion, food type.

I will adjust my answer for each specific scenario.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#5]
WOOD!   that is all
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:08:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Depends on the situation. Venue, company, occasion, food type.

I will adjust my answer for each specific scenario.
View Quote

Lets say....Chicken, steak, or Iowa style pork chops and it's for you and the family
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I've always wanted to try wood....but i'm not really sure on how to go about doing it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Charcoal and wood.

Taste, etc.

Can smoke stuff with it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:10:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Wood>Propane>Charcoal>Electric
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:11:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I do gas grill for quick and easy food. Burgers, dogs, etc.
anything more than that and it's charcoal.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#13]
If you aren't using camel dung, you aren't a real man.  
I have a gas grill and a charcoal kamado.  Both have their uses, and both work very well.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Depends.  
Fast quick grilling- Gas or charcoal
grilling- charcoal
Smoking/BBQ- Wood

If I want a steak, I usually just crank my gas grill up to 700+ and cook it for a short time on each side (time varies with thickness)
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:12:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Wood.
I'm not a fan of charcoal most of the time the meat tastes like lighter fluid. Could be someone did it wrong, didn't let the shit burn off enough or whatever, but Propane tastes better than that shit... but I prefer wood.
Anything grilled on my traeger comes out awesome.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:13:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I've always wanted to try wood....but i'm not really sure on how to go about doing it.
View Quote

A good start is setting it on fire.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Wood.

I'm not a fan of charcoal most of the time the meat tastes like lighter fluid. Could be someone did it wrong, didn't let the shit burn off enough or whatever, but Propane tastes better than that shit... but I prefer wood.

View Quote

Don't use lighter fluid.  Get a chimney starter.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wood.

Chimney starters are definitely the way to go.  Don't use Lighter Fluid
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you simply throw it in your grill and light it up?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wood.

Soak a paper towel in vegetable oil and place at the base of the charcoal stack.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Charcoal is hotter.  It can be marginally slower and harder to control than propane - but that can be minimized.  Wood can be used to add flavor to charcoal, without making it AS hard to control as wood alone.
I like charcoal - I rarely use my stick burner, but usually use sticks with my charcoal.  I have a offset stick burner, a charcoal grill (weber), a charcoal smoker (uds), and 2 propane grills (weber).  Will own a BGE in the next week or two.

----

fwiw I think a weed burner trumps a chimney starter.  Some day I will marry the 2 using a propane jet burner to start my chimney.  Currently start with a weed burner and a blower.  Does not take much before the blower can handle it alone.

I only use lump.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wood.

I use lighter fluid only when grilling. I pour a bit on to the ashes below, instead of directly on the coals. Using a chimney starter for grilling adds another unnecessary 10 minutes.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wood.

Get Lump charcoal...not briquets.  

Use the chimney starter....

That's charred wood, not sawdust pressed with coal and a binder.  

I use gas for convenience...don't have the time to fire up a lump charcoal/wood fire and grill or smoke...but when I had some time, I had a stick burner (Silver Smoker)...yes, gas is not as good, but when the choice is have barbeque or grilled meat over gas...or cook inside (boiled hotdogs or spaghetti?) because you don't have enough time to get a decent fire going and tend it....then I'll take the grilled or smoked over gas.

AFARR
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
Generally, I light it on fire and use it to heat my food.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#25]
I have gone back and forth between charcoal and propane a few times. I love the charcoal for the "authentic" aspect.

But, after finally buying a "good" gas grill to use during high fire danger months, I cannot tell a difference in flavor. I get great grill marks, and you can fine tune the temperature by adjusting the burners.

There is no ash to dispose of, etc. Propane is a great fuel for grilling.

That said, when the weather turns cold and your propane regulator freezes up, it is nice to have a charcoal grill to take over and keep on grilling.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#26]
I love charcoal.

But if you're just doing regular old fashioned grilling it really doesn't matter what you use.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#27]
In before the god's gas guy,has a stroke when he sees the poll.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:28:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I use gas for convenience...don't have the time to fire up a lump charcoal/wood fire and grill or smoke...but when I had some time, I had a stick burner (Silver Smoker)...yes, gas is not as good, but when the choice is have barbeque or grilled meat over gas...or cook inside (boiled hotdogs or spaghetti?) because you don't have enough time to get a decent fire going and tend it....then I'll take the grilled or smoked over gas.

AFARR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wood.

AFARR

Lump is good stuff
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have gone back and forth between charcoal and propane a few times. I love the charcoal for the "authentic" aspect.

But, after finally buying a "good" gas grill to use during high fire danger months, I cannot tell a difference in flavor. I get great grill marks, and you can fine tune the temperature by adjusting the burners.

There is no ash to dispose of, etc. Propane is a great fuel for grilling.

That said, when the weather turns cold and your propane regulator freezes up, it is nice to have a charcoal grill to take over and keep on grilling.
View Quote

There is a difference in flavor.  How can you not taste the difference?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:32:10 AM EDT
[#30]
lump hardwood charcoal.

you still taste the meat and you get some nice smokey flavor too.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
In before the god's gas guy,has a stroke when he sees the poll.  
View Quote

Gas is definitely losing the battle....that's for sure.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Gas is for slow kids.

I like my briquets.  Lump is hot; but it burns fast, puts out inconsistent heat, and leaves way too much ash for my liking.  With plain ol' Kingsford I can do the same exact thing every time and get the same results.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Some wood in a non coated grocery cart and you are GTG!

Actually I have been using a weber kettle for years now. I love the charcoals
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#34]
When I have the time to do it right:  Wood and/or natural lump charcoal

If I just got home from work and want to quickly grill a chicken breast or steak for dinner:  Propane.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a natural gas grill, a propane gas grill, a charcoal/wood grill, and a wood pellet smoker.
I use all of the fuels listed except electric depending upon what I'm grilling.
They all have their strong and weak points.
I probably use my wood pellet smoker the most, followed by my natural gas grill, with my charcoal/wood and propane grills being used the least.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#36]
I have an CB IR propane grill for some stuff, a Weber that I use NL and wood in and a smoker.

So, get all of them?  
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Misquite charcoal.

If you're cheap you can use regular charcoal and then throw misquite branches from your yard into the fire when you start the grill.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
That's what she said (immediately prior to becoming sexually active).

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is there a YouTube video with instructions ?

It's my first and only choice here at Kamp Krusty....I dont yet own any grills .

I'll usually do some shooting while my coals are prepping

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Misquite charcoal.

If you're cheap you can use regular charcoal and then throw misquite branches from your yard into the fire when you start the grill.
View Quote

I prefer heckory.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Gas is for slow kids.

I like my briquets.  Lump is hot; but it burns fast, puts out inconsistent heat, and leaves way too much ash for my liking.  With plain ol' Kingsford I can do the same exact thing every time and get the same results.
View Quote

You are using shitty Lump if it's leaving a lot of ash.  The stuff that I use practically doesn't leave any at all.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Charcoal. If you're gonna cook over gas, why even go outside.

Add wood for extra flavor. I have a pecan tree in the back yard, so I throw pecan sticks in with my coals for smoke.

Hell I smoked two racks of ribs on my Weber kettle the weekend before last. The kettle does it all, and it's dirt simple. You don't need any fancy gas shit. Besides, if you're gonna let some fancy machine do all the work, just go out and eat. Grilling and BBQing is all about getting outdoors, playing with fire, stoking the coals, having a cigar and a beer etc. The process is half the point.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Lump Charcoal is awesomesauce but harder to use.
Propane wins for convienence but loses for flavor.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#45]
If all you care about is taste, the answer is wood.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:05:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Charcoal. If you're gonna cook over gas, why even go outside.

Add wood for extra flavor. I have a pecan tree in the back yard, so I throw pecan sticks in with my coals for smoke.

Hell I smoked two racks of ribs on my Weber kettle the weekend before last. The kettle does it all, and it's dirt simple. You don't need any fancy gas shit. Besides, if you're gonna let some fancy machine do all the work, just go out and eat. Grilling and BBQing is all about getting outdoors, playing with fire, stoking the coals, having a cigar and a beer etc. The process is half the point.
View Quote

To keep the heat out of the kitchen....  
Plus most people don't have grills in the kitchen, only stoves and ovens...
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Charcoal.  I prefer lump over briquet, and hardwood over mesquite if I have the choice.

Wood is awesome, but impractical for everyday grilling.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Gas is for slow kids.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#49]
I use a mix of charcoal and the natural  lump wood coal.

Best flavor.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#50]
If you cook right with propane you can get some amazing flavor.

These threads crack me up as they prove how there is almost no difference in flavor based on cooking method.

Someone will say propane and be dismissed because "charcoal is better".  Then the person using charcoal briquettes is dismissed, told their food will taste terrible, and that lump charcoal is the only way to go.  The someone using real wood will dismiss the lump charcoal people and tell them their food tastes terrible because wood is better.  Which type of wood?  Everyone will argue about it.  If you smoke something for 8+ hours then maybe the flavor of the wood will be adsorbed into the meat.  But cooking a steak it really doesn't matter.  I will take my propane steak over any steak house steak any day.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top