Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#1]
wood
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:15:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There is a difference in flavor.  How can you not taste the difference?
View Quote

I've seen more than a few blind taste tests where the participants couldn't.

Technique and grill quality have a bigger impact on flavor than heat source.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:19:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a difference in flavor.  How can you not taste the difference?

Put me on any of those tests....I guarantee that I can easily spot the difference.  It only gets tough to tell if the person uses a charbroil seasoning to the meat....even then you can still tell.

Maybe I'm just picky or have sensitive taste buds.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Charcoal and wood.

Taste, etc.

Can smoke stuff with it.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You are using shitty Lump if it's leaving a lot of ash.  The stuff that I use practically doesn't leave any at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gas is for slow kids.

I like my briquets.  Lump is hot; but it burns fast, puts out inconsistent heat, and leaves way too much ash for my liking.  With plain ol' Kingsford I can do the same exact thing every time and get the same results.

You are using shitty Lump if it's leaving a lot of ash.  The stuff that I use practically doesn't leave any at all.

Yeah, probably.

Did I also mention I'm cheap.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Charcoal, it tastes better. But gas is more convenient, you just turn the knob, and voila! fire.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah, probably.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gas is for slow kids.

I like my briquets.  Lump is hot; but it burns fast, puts out inconsistent heat, and leaves way too much ash for my liking.  With plain ol' Kingsford I can do the same exact thing every time and get the same results.

Yeah, probably.

You really don't have to pay a ton for it....just try a different brand.   Try Royal Oak (Made in USA version) usually found in Walmart.  Quick review here.  FYI: It's cheap
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag11.htm
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#8]
As I get older I find that some things are just worth waithing for. Good food is one of those things. Charcoal only takes about 5-10 minutes longer to be ready to cook on than gas. Those few minutes are put to good use with some good beer in hand. It is charcoal for me with a chimney starter and sometimes a handfull of hickory, oak or mesquite chips thrown in depending on my mood and what is going to be grilled. No gasser can even come close to the taste.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Wood for flavor, propane for convenience.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I like lump charcoal.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#11]
A well seasoned gas grill with properly effective heat dissipaters can produce a quality product.  I had a charbroil gas grill that would get up to over 700 degrees and sear the shit out a piece of meat.  I find that harder to perfect with charcoal.  That being said I only cook on charcoal now.  The price to repair a gas grill (that will eventually wear out) is usually more than the cost of a new Weber Kettle.  Charcoal is more versatile and consistently has a better taste.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:35:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

A well seasoned gas grill with properly effective heat dissipaters can produce a quality product.  I had a charbroil gas grill that would get up to over 700 degrees and sear the shit out a piece of meat.  I find that harder to perfect with charcoal.  That being said I only cook on charcoal now.  The price to repair a gas grill (that will eventually wear out) is usually more than the cost of a new Weber Kettle.  Charcoal is more versatile and consistently has a better taste.
View Quote
Just repaired my first Weber Propane.  Grates were $50, Burners were $50, did not replace flavorizer, it still has some life in it (but would have been $50)., Starter button $15.  I also needed some new screws, and new rails for the greese pan (fabricated the rails myself because the vendor canciled my order).  Anyway, got about $125 in the rebuild of a grill I used for 5 years after buying it used for $35.  About the cost of a kettle, but currently using the kettle is banned (fire restrictions).  

I attempted to rebuild several other propane grills with various success.  Cheep Walmart one rebuilt ok several times (stamped burners were cheep, thin grid was cheep), was not worth the cost of keeping my BBQ Galore store brand running ($200 per rebuild, rebuilds every other year).  Just tossed a $300 Brickman, it needed a complete gutting after 2 years.  I will stick with Weber a bit longer (one at house, rebuild to travel with trailer).  That said, looking forward to getting a BGE very shortly (Friday if all goes well - but then need to start on an table for it).

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:39:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You also hear that gas is faster and easier....In my opinion, if your looking for speed when it comes to grilling, you're doing it wrong.
View Quote

Great philosophy if you have time... but I have time to use a gas grill 2-3x per week and I"d have time for charcoal 2-3x per month.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:28:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Great philosophy if you have time... but I have time to use a gas grill 2-3x per week and I"d have time for charcoal 2-3x per month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You also hear that gas is faster and easier....In my opinion, if your looking for speed when it comes to grilling, you're doing it wrong.

I don't blame you one bit.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:35:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like lump charcoal.
View Quote

I got 2 onion sacks of lump charcoal from Mexico sitting in the garage.  

The stuff is amazing.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Mesquite Wood or Charcoal for grilling. Most of the time its charcoal. Grilling with either just taste better.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Charcoal and wood.

Taste, etc.

Can smoke stuff with it.
View Quote

This.

I use mesquite charcoal and Oak when I "smoke", and Mesquite-charcoal by itself for general grilling
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I only use Kingsford charcoal briquettes or Royal Oak lump charcoal. Grilling is a fun past-time.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:25:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Wood pellets; even heat across the grill and much harder to dry the meat out compared to my LP grills. Only drawback is it doesn't heat up very fast.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I used to have a gas grill..  Then got older and wiser and went to Charcoal.   Now I love using the lump and some hard wood chunks .    There is no comparison the way the food tastes with charcoal vs LP.   There is no need for lighter fluid get a chimney.   The weber one is the best.   Only takes 15 minutes to get going.   Much better product then with the LP, sorry Hank Hill.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:32:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Charcoal
Gas
Electric
Wood
other

Also....bump it....argue....do what you guys do best.

For me it's Charcoal and then add some hardwood chunks for smoke....if it's wanted.

I often hear....taste the meat...not the heat........but I have to disagree with that statement.

View Quote

I grill all year....over 100lbs of propane a year.
Waiting on charcoal in the winter sucks....and charcoal grills when used as much as I use them rot out too fast.
I use charcoal from time to time, its what I have at my girlfriend's house.....but I know on my gas grill...where all the hot spots are and exactly where each piece of food goes for optimal cooking and timing.

For big parties...I can't keep pouring coals in and waiting for them when I am grilling for 20 people (I don't have my outdoor dream kitchen yet).

You want good flavor? don't spot clean the grates. A dirty grill tastes best.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:36:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I generally use some dried split hardwood like hickory, buttonwood, sasafrass ect to make a small fire then rake it down when all the wood is pretty much burning. Wood with bark usually gives off a funny taste so I try to burn it off first or peel it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Wood.

I'm not a fan of charcoal most of the time the meat tastes like lighter fluid. Could be someone did it wrong, didn't let the shit burn off enough or whatever, but Propane tastes better than that shit... but I prefer wood.

Anything grilled on my traeger comes out awesome.
View Quote

Go buy a charcoal chimney and quit using lighter fluid man! It takes half the time to get the charcoal ready, and you don't need to worry about petrol flavoring.

I've not had a gas grill in forever, the only way I would get one again is if it's an NG grill hooked into my house line.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top