Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/29/2015 7:32:05 PM EDT
Gay?

Nothing Gay about being a homosexual. Most of the few real homosexuals I know are tortured souls that are searching for fulfillment of a chasm is their life that they can't explain.

Can someone explain it to me?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

8/7/87 to be exact.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Gay?

Nothing Gay about being a homosexual. Most of the few real homosexuals I know are tortured souls that are searching for fulfillment of a chasm is their life that they can't explain.

View Quote

It's marketing, it's spin, and like most leftist spin it's the exact opposite of the truth. They wanted a "positive" word, a hip, cool, "isn't it awesome to be homosexual" word. In their defense, if your psyche is that troubled you might need an esteem boost, even a false one that you only give to yourself.

A similar attempt has been made over the last few years to use the term "bright" for atheists. It has met with less success.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#4]

They got tired of being called mentally retarded and changed it to gay in the early 80s.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Because they also don't like the idea of gender, now at least. They don't like the idea of calling it what it is (being attracted to your own sex) because it sidelines their other pet project, self identification/gender neutrality or some other such nonsense.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess after "queers" and "fags" went out of style
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#7]
because being called a queer got their panties in a knot
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe the word "gay" when referring to homosexuals was initially used as a noun, not an adjective. I think it referred specifically to a male, not a female.
Over time, this transformed a bit and it took on a unisex adjective role to refer to any homosexual.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Newspeak.
The word "homosexual" has been removed from the dictionary.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
because being called a queer got their panties in a knot
View Quote

Not so, queer seems to be an acceptable term, at least amongst themselves. Kinda like the n-word, you know.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I heard it in the late '70s when I was home-ported at Alameda NAS.

Right across the "gay bay".

I guess it sounded better than the "cocksucker canal".
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Just another formally normal word that has been stolen from the mainstream.  Same goes for "partner", now followed by "marriage".  I've got no problem with equal legal rights, but what's wrong with calling it "civil union".  Can't we heterosexuals keep a word that been our's for millennia?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Goober - Gobbler just don't have the right ring to it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Gay?

View Quote

Why do you assume they gave themselves the name? Can you possibly know that?

Maybe the homosexuals you know who are sad have something in common (you)?

I mean, I've just read one post of yours and I'm already feeling worse about humanity. Just spitballin'
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#15]
The writer Truman Capote referred to himself as a "Homosexual", as I refer to myself as a "Heterosexual".

He HATED the term "GAY", and called them "YAGS".
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:02:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Late '60s or early '70s is my guess.

It's funny to watch old movies (1930s-50s) where the term "gay" is frequently used in its traditional, non-homosexual context. It was a pretty commonly-used word, hardly obscure. Somehow the gay movement succeeded at making it their own. Edit: or had it forced on them, not sure.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#17]
ITT: People who can't spend the two seconds it takes to google something and instead make shit up.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/517/how-did-gay-come-to-mean-homosexual
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Late 70's early 80's. It was around when they started to embrace the flamboyant/in your face life style.

The Village People made it cool to know someone gay as everyone was singing their homo songs.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I mean, I've just read one post of yours and I'm already feeling worse about humanity. Just spitballin'
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gay?

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Goes back to the early 70s.  I remember because I knew a girl named Gay.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I refuse to use the "G" word. I only use the correct terms, HOMOSEXUAL AND OR SODOMITE.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Please stop with the fucking gay/tranny threads.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:20:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

only in as much as Ni@@@r  went out of style, Ok for them to use but not an outsider.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Late 70's early 80's. It was around when they started to embrace the flamboyant/in your face life style.
The Village People made it cool to know someone gay as everyone was singing their homo songs.
View Quote

Most of the people singing their homo songs back then didn't know they were homos. They didn't look any weirder than KISS. Maybe people in Greenwich Village or San Francisco did, but in the South or middle America? Nah, we didn't have a clue.

Kind of like you can look back now and see how Rob Halford used to dress with Judas Priest. Yeah, it's all homoerotic bondage bullshit in retrospect, but at the time we just thought it was typical "over the top" heavy metal show biz.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I mean, I've just read one post of yours and I'm already feeling worse about humanity. Just spitballin' snowballin'
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gay?

I mean, I've just read one post of yours and I'm already feeling worse about humanity. Just spitballin' snowballin'

FIFY
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#27]
From 1969.
Advance to about 4:50

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Please stop with the fucking gay/tranny threads.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Most of the people singing their homo songs back then didn't know they were homos. They didn't look any weirder than KISS. Maybe people in Greenwich Village or San Francisco did, but in the South or middle America? Nah, we didn't have a clue.

Kind of like you can look back now and see how Rob Halford used to dress with Judas Priest. Yeah, it's all homoerotic bondage bullshit in retrospect, but at the time we just thought it was typical "over the top" heavy metal show biz.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their hits such as "In the Navy" and "YMCA" were a tip off to most people who didn't mange to figure out what was up just by looking at them.
But, as they say, "Ten percent never get the message.".
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Their hits such as "In the Navy" and "YMCA" were a tip off to most people who didn't mange to figure out what was up just by looking at them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

actually look at any band from the 70's

that was the uniform of the era they all wore mr slave outfits.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:55:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm telling you, nobody in my town knew they were queers. Every town had a YMCA. We had no idea it was some queer thing. Small town America in 1979 was...sheltered in some ways, shall we say. At least it was where I lived. I mean, we saw construction workers, cops, and military guys all the time. We didn't look at them and think, "Hey, I bet he's queer!"
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you didn't figure it out either.
How old were you?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:01:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm telling you, nobody in my town knew they were queers.
View Quote

I'll bet plenty of people knew. They simply didn't discuss it with you.
How old were you when they became famous?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I remember hearing it during the Anita Bryant days.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:06:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm telling you, nobody in my town knew they were queers.

Mid teens. Now, what you say is possible, too. It isn't like my high school teachers would have just launched into a conversation about homos and we didn't just walk around asking folks what they thought about the Village People. I'll put it this way: if any of the adults I knew had a clue these guys were queers, they never let on in any way. Maybe they were just trying to protect me from such...debauchery.

ETA: You have to keep in mind also, that in '79 most homos were still very much in the closet in the South (Tennessee Williams excepted, lol). Now, we could usually figure out who they were and we didn't go around beating them up. However, they didn't adopt that silly lisp and didn't dress funny. They stayed in the closet where both they, and we, were safer.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm glad, it was always kind of an inside joke with brothers and sisters when dad said he was running out to pick up some 'fags', sometimes a whole carton of them!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gay?

FIFY

Totally busted. Gayest dude on ARFcom.

I'd have gotten away with it if you pesky kids hadn't started snooping around.

Back in my days we stoned the queers.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#38]
It is clearly stated in the handbook for world domination all of us are issued that we are to require all breeders to refer to us as Gay. My edition of the handbook was printed in 87
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I remember hearing it during the Anita Bryant days.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#40]
The sobriquet "gay" was adopted as an ironic counterpoint to the high levels of depression and suicide among homosexuals.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#41]
It's amazing that people literally have access to the worlds biggest library in recorded history at their fingertips, yet choose to make stuff up.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:13:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

LAVENDER BOYS
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:07:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gay?

FIFY

LOL Sorry, it was just begging for an edit given the thread.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:29:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Why are so many supposedly straight ARFCOMers obsessed with gays?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:31:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Anal sex is kind of like skydiving.

Might be awesome but not really worth the risk.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:31:35 PM EDT
[#46]
OP is a lumbersexual
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:33:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Holy shit, this place really is out of its collective mind about homosexuality.

Richard Simmons doesn't obsess about homosexuals as much as arfcom does.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:38:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It's amazing that people literally have access to the worlds biggest library in recorded history at their fingertips, yet choose to make stuff up.
View Quote

Do re-arrange books on other peoples bookshelves at parties?

Buzzkill!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:39:53 PM EDT
[#49]
First time I remember hearing it was in the mid seventies.  I actually prefer sodomite to refer to them, since I hate letting a liberal demographic take over a word that has nothing to do with them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:42:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Gay?

View Quote

All the gay folks I know are far more interesting, contented, and get laid more than the average arfcommer.  Maybe it's just you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top