User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:44:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

All the gay folks I know are far more interesting, contented, and get laid more than the average arfcommer.  Maybe it's just you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gay?

Nothing Gay about being a homosexual. Most of the few real homosexuals I know are tortured souls that are searching for fulfillment of a chasm is their life that they can't explain.

Can someone explain it to me?

All the gay folks I know are far more interesting, contented, and get laid more than the average arfcommer.  Maybe it's just you.

Go figure... CA boy.

Wtf?

How did I own page two?

I never own page two.

Sierra
Hotel!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:49:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:50:40 PM EDT
[#3]
If only there was some network of computers with all the information we had on them accessible via some sort of search program...

The word may have started to acquire associations of immorality as early as the 14th century, and had certainly acquired them by the 17th.[1] By the late 17th century it had acquired the specific meaning of "addicted to pleasures and dissipations",[11] an extension of its primary meaning of "carefree" implying "uninhibited by moral constraints." A gay woman was a prostitute, a gay man a womanizer and a gay house a brothel.[1]The use of gay to mean "homosexual" was in origin merely an extension of the word's sexualised connotation of "carefree and uninhibited", which implied a willingness to disregard conventional or

respectable sexual mores. Such usage is documented as early as the 1920s, and there is evidence for it before the 20th century,[1] although it was initially more commonly used to imply heterosexually unconstrained lifestyles, as in the once-common phrase "gay Lothario",[12] or in the title of the book and film The Gay Falcon (1941), which concerns a womanizing detective whose first name is "Gay." The "gaya ciencia" was a Provençal/French/Castilian term for poetry. Similarly, Fred Gilbert and G. H. MacDermott's music hall song of the 1880s, "Charlie Dilke Upset the Milk" – "Master Dilke upset the milk/When taking it home to Chelsea;/ The papers say that Charlie's gay/Rather a wilful wag!" – referred to Sir Charles Dilke's alleged heterosexual impropriety.[13] Well into the mid 20th century a middle-aged bachelor could be described as "gay", indicating that he was unattached and therefore free, without any implication of homosexuality. This usage could apply to women too. The British comic strip Jane was first published in the 1930s and described the adventures of Jane Gay. Far from implying homosexuality, it referred to her free-wheeling lifestyle with plenty of boyfriends (while also punning on Lady Jane Grey).

A passage from Gertrude Stein's Miss Furr & Miss Skeene (1922) is possibly the first traceable published use of the word to refer to a homosexual relationship. According to Linda Wagner-Martin (Favored Strangers: Gertrude Stein and her Family (1995)) the portrait, "featured the sly repetition of the word gay, used with sexual intent for one of the first times in linguistic history," and Edmund Wilson (1951, quoted by James Mellow in Charmed Circle (1974)) agreed.[14] For example:

They were ...gay, they learned little things that are things in being gay, ... they were quite regularly gay.
   —Gertrude Stein, 1922

Through the mid 20th century, the term "gay" commonly referred to "carefree", as illustrated in the Astaire and Rogers film The Gay Divorcee. (See detailed discussion in article.)

Bringing Up Baby (1938) was the first film to use the word gay in apparent reference to homosexuality. In a scene in which the Cary Grant character's clothes have been sent to the cleaners, he is forced to wear a woman’s feather-trimmed robe. When another character asks about his robe, he responds, "Because I just went gay all of a sudden!" Since this was a mainstream film at a time when the use of the word to refer to cross-dressing (and, by extension, homosexuality) would still be unfamiliar to most film-goers, the line can also be interpreted to mean "I just decided to do something frivolous."[15]

The word continued to be used with the dominant meaning of "carefree", as evidenced by the title of The Gay Divorcee (1934), a musical film about a heterosexual couple.
Shift to homosexual

By the mid-20th century, gay was well established in reference to hedonistic and uninhibited lifestyles[11] and its antonym straight, which had long had connotations of seriousness, respectability, and conventionality, had now acquired specific connotations of heterosexuality.[16] In the case of gay, other connotations of frivolousness and showiness in dress ("gay apparel") led to association with camp and effeminacy. This association no doubt helped the gradual narrowing in scope of the term towards its current dominant meaning, which was at first confined to subcultures. Gay was the preferred term since other terms, such as queer, were felt to be derogatory.[17] Homosexual is perceived as excessively clinical,[18][19][20] since the sexual orientation now commonly referred to as "homosexuality" was at that time a mental illness diagnosis in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM).

In mid-20th century Britain, where male homosexuality was illegal until the Sexual Offences Act 1967, to openly identify someone as homosexual was considered very offensive and an accusation of serious criminal activity. Additionally, none of the words describing any aspect of homosexuality were considered suitable for polite society. Consequently, a number of euphemisms were used to hint at suspected homosexuality. Examples include "sporty" girls and "artistic" boys,[21] all with the stress deliberately on the otherwise completely innocent adjective.

The sixties marked the transition in the predominant meaning of the word gay from that of "carefree" to the current "homosexual".

In the British comedy-drama film Light Up The Sky! (1960) directed by Lewis Gilbert about the antics of a British Army searchlight squad during World War II, there is a scene in the mess hut where the character played by Benny Hill proposes an after dinner toast. He begins, "I'd like to propose..." at which point a fellow diner, played by Sidney Tafler, interjects "Who to?", suggesting a proposal of marriage. The Benny Hill character responds, "Not to you for start, you ain't my type". He then adds in mock doubt, "Oh, I don't know, you're rather gay on the quiet."

By 1963, a new sense of the word gay was known well enough to be used by Albert Ellis in his book The Intelligent Woman's Guide to Man-Hunting. Similarly, Hubert Selby, Jr. in his 1964 novel Last Exit to Brooklyn, could write that a character "took pride in being a homosexual by feeling intellectually and esthetically superior to those (especially women) who weren't gay..."[22] Later examples of the original meaning of the word being used in popular culture include the theme song to the 1960–1966 animated TV series The Flintstones, whereby viewers are assured that they will "have a gay old time." Similarly, the 1966 Herman's Hermits song "No Milk Today", which became a Top 10 hit in the UK and a Top 40 hit in the U.S., included the lyric "No milk today, it was not always so / The company was gay, we'd turn night into day."[23] In June 1967, the headline of the review of the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album in the British daily newspaper The Times stated, "The Beatles revive hopes of progress in pop music with their gay new LP".[24] Yet in the same year, The Kinks recorded "David Watts".[25] Ostensibly about schoolboy envy, the song also operated as an in-joke, as related in Jon Savage's "The Kinks: The Official Biography", because the song took its name from a homosexual promoter they'd encountered who'd had romantic designs on songwriter Ray Davies' teenage brother; and the lines "he is so gay and fancy free" attest to the ambiguity of the word's meaning at that time, with the second meaning evident only for those in the know.[26] As late as 1970, the first episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show has the demonstrably straight Mary Richards' downstairs neighbor, Phyllis, breezily declaiming that Mary is, at age 30, still "young and gay."

There is little doubt that the homosexual sense is a development of the word's traditional meaning, as described above. It has nevertheless been claimed that gay stands for "Good As You", but there is no evidence for this: it is a folk etymology backronym.[27]]
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:52:45 PM EDT
[#4]
According to this article, sometime between the 1920's and the 1950's.

The word’s original meaning meant something to the effect of “joyful”, “carefree”, “full of mirth”, or “bright and showy”.

By the mid 17th century, according to an Oxford dictionary definition at the time, the meaning of the word had changed to mean  “addicted to pleasures and dissipations.  Often euphemistically: Of loose and immoral life”.  This is an extension of one of the original meanings of “carefree”, meaning more or less uninhibited.

Fast-forward to the 19th century and the word gay referred to a woman who was a prostitute and a gay man was someone who slept with a lot of women (ironically enough), often prostitutes. Also at this time, the phrase “gay it” meant to have sex.

Around the 1920s and 1930s, however, the word started to have a new meaning.  In terms of the sexual meaning of the word, a “gay man” no longer just meant a man who had sex with a lot of women, but now started to refer to men who had sex with other men.  

By 1955, the word gay now officially acquired the new added definition of meaning homosexual males.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/02/how-gay-came-to-mean-homosexual/

View Quote

Makes you wonder what was going on in the 1890's.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:54:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Holy shit, this place really is out of its collective mind about homosexuality.

Richard Simmons doesn't obsess about homosexuals as much as arfcom does.
View Quote

America has been played like a fiddle on this issue, ~ 3% of the population and look how much time people spend talking about it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:54:22 PM EDT
[#6]
It happened on your birthday.  They did it to specifically annoy you.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:56:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:
View Quote

No, no, no. What is this .... Facts not pulled from ones behind? Sources being cited? [crying-eagle.gif]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:56:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

America has been played like a fiddle on this issue, ~ 3% of the population and look how much time people spend talking about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's only 3% if you add in the bisexuals! lol
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:58:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Transexualism is even more disproportionate, it's like .001 percent, yet people won't fucking stop talking about it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:06:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Transexualism is even more disproportionate, it's like .001 percent, yet people won't fucking stop talking about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I KNOW! Right?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:15:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No, no, no. What is this .... Facts not pulled from ones behind? Sources being cited? [crying-eagle.gif]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, my bad.

It happened when you were born, OP.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:28:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Gay?

Nothing Gay about being a homosexual. Most of the few real homosexuals I know are tortured souls that are searching for fulfillment of a chasm is their life that they can't explain.

View Quote

LOL!!!!

There is no better place to find tortured souls than in GD.  They hate everything, have no friends, can't get along with neighbors, hate marriage, hate pointy elbows, hate any and all restaurants.

But they do like some things, talking about all the things they hate. There needs to be name.

I forgot, we already have a name. Basement dwellers.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:28:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Their hits such as "In the Navy" and "YMCA" were a tip off to most people who didn't mange to figure out what was up just by looking at them.
But, as they say, "Ten percent never get the message.".
View Quote

What the hell does YMCA mean? I wasn't around in the 70s or whenever the hell this came out.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:29:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's marketing, it's spin, and like most leftist spin it's the exact opposite of the truth. They wanted a "positive" word, a hip, cool, "isn't it awesome to be homosexual" word. In their defense, if your psyche is that troubled you might need an esteem boost, even a false one that you only give to yourself.

A similar attempt has been made over the last few years to use the term "bright" for atheists. It has met with less success.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gay?

It's marketing, it's spin, and like most leftist spin it's the exact opposite of the truth. They wanted a "positive" word, a hip, cool, "isn't it awesome to be homosexual" word. In their defense, if your psyche is that troubled you might need an esteem boost, even a false one that you only give to yourself.

A similar attempt has been made over the last few years to use the term "bright" for atheists. It has met with less success.

I have never heard "bright" for atheists... usually you hear "enlightened"
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:32:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

*snort*  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:07:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

What the hell does YMCA mean? I wasn't around in the 70s or whenever the hell this came out.
View Quote

Young Men's Christian Association.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YMCA

In the context of the song, the clubs which were in most every major city usually had temporary (cheap or free) housing for young men, in addition to social and fitness facilities, so they became a beacon for runaway homosexuals. Hence, the song's gay undertones.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:48:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Grab the language by the balls and hearts and minds will follow.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:54:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I guess after "queers" and "fags" went out of style
View Quote

A few years ago I witnessed two of them having a tremendous lovers spat and one got so mad he called the other guy a queer dick.
Truth.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top