Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 9:20:26 AM EDT
IIRC he was never referred to as Ben Kenobi in the first three episodes. Was this his (or shoudl I say George Lucas') lame attempt at changing his name to hide from the Empire?

Empire [on the phone]: Is this Obi Won Kenobi?
Obi: Uh, who's calling?
Empire: This is the Galactic Empire, we are trying to find Obi Won Kenobi because Darth vader wishes to kill him.
Obi: Nope, sorry... this is... uhhhh. BEN, yes Ben Kenobi... no relation.
Empire: Alrighty, well, sorry for the mix-up.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Uh, when he went into hiding?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

So I take it a long time ago in a galaxy far far away Kenobi is as common as Jones or Smith and that's why he didn't bother changing his last name too?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Empire: This is the Galactic Empire, we are trying to find Obi Won Kenobi because Darth vader wishes to kill him.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#4]
when he went underground after lopping off Anakin's remaining extremities. Apparently Bin Laden is a Star Wars fan, he's trying the same formula: find cave to hide out in in the middle of a mountainous remote desert filled with sand people and armed midgets in brown robes...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:37:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I just think "Old Ben" was a transmogrification of "Obi Wan."
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So I take it a long time ago in a galaxy far far away Kenobi is as common as Jones or Smith and that's why he didn't bother changing his last name too?

If he had changed his name to Juan Valdez then Luke would never have connected the dots that R2D2 was looking for him.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#7]
It was a social thing, really.  Thursday nights at the Cantina was 25 cent drafts.   He simply wanted to fit in with all the Tusken Raiders, who had names like Earl, Ted, Roger, and Fred.  You guys are so behind the .
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's a better question for you. At the end of Episode 3 Kenobi was in his early thirties and Luke was just born.  In Episode 4 Luke is 18 or 20 and Kenobi is 65-70.  So how did Obi-Wan age 30-35 in only 18 to 20 years?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Here's a better question for you. At the end of Episode 3 Kenobi was in his early thirties and Luke was just born.  In Episode 4 Luke is 18 or 20 and Kenobi is 65-70.  So how did Obi-Wan age 30-35 in only 18 to 20 years?

Tattioine Hookers and Tuskan Blow, obviously
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tattioine Hookers and Tuskan Blow, obviously

Deathsticks are a hell of a drug.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#11]
www.starwars.com/databank/character/obiwankenobi/

As the Jedi's ranks were wiped out by the machinations of the emergent Empire, Obi-Wan went into hiding on Tatooine. He would stay there for decades, adopting the name of Ben.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

He was in his 40s, or is supposed to be.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:53:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
IIRC he was never referred to as Ben Kenobi in the first three episodes. Was this his (or shoudl I say George Lucas') lame attempt at changing his name to hide from the Empire?

What, no Jedi mind trick?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:28:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What, no Jedi mind trick?

"These aren't the Kenobis you're looking for"  
/waves hand
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:30:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ITs not the years, its the miles.

I guess a long time ago in a galaxy far far away men age like Korean women.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:14:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or it could be that he was in his late forties in Episode III, not 30 like some have suggested.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:59:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Or it could be that he was in his late forties in Episode III, not 30 like some have suggested.

I like my theory better.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:04:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

IV, V and VI?  

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:39:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or it could be that like most of my students, most 15-20 somethings here have no idea what someone in their 30's 40's or 50's looks like.    30 is fricken ancient to them.   You go live in a cave for a while and see how you look after 20yrs.

In IV, Ben looks to be in his mid 50s,  maybe a little younger.  It fits with the story.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:45:16 AM EDT
[#21]
If in Episode I, Anakin is 5-6, and Obi-Wan is just getting ready to become a Jedi Knight, then that would probably make him at least Mid-20's.

So, 15 years later, when Anakin is old enough to become a Jedi himself, Obi-Wan would be in his 40's.

And 20 years later, when Anakin's son is old enough to be a Jedi, Obi-Wan would be in his 60's.

Makes sense....
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:10:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IV, V and VI?  

You answered your own question. Episodes, not movies.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IV, V and VI?  

You answered your own question. Episodes, not movies.

The first episode released was IV, Star Wars.

My only reason for asking is that Luke refers to him as Old Ben Kenobi in the FIRST EPISODE RELEASED.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#24]
When Luke's uncle referred to Obi-Wan as old Ben Kenobi, uncle already knew who Obi-Wan was. He just tried to cover it up to protect Luke from truth about his father and all that other bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
My only reason for asking is that Luke refers to him as Old Ben Kenobi in the FIRST EPISODE RELEASED.

Hey... don't get sassy mister sassy pants. When I said first episode I meant chronologically first in the Star Wars time line, not the release time line. I knew he was referred to in the "original" movies (IV, V, VI), but I don't remember anyone ever calling him Ben in I, II, or III.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey... don't get sassy mister sassy pants. When I said first episode I meant chronologically first in the Star Wars time line, not the release time line. I knew he was referred to in the "original" movies (IV, V, VI), but I don't remember anyone ever calling him Ben in I, II, or III.

That was why I was asking for clarification.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:41:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or it could be that like most of my students, most 15-20 somethings here have no idea what someone in their 30's 40's or 50's looks like.    30 is fricken ancient to them.   You go live in a cave for a while and see how you look after 20yrs.

In IV, Ben looks to be in his mid 50s,  maybe a little younger.  It fits with the story.

With two suns Tatooine is a place where you don't scrimp on sunblock.  Ben might just look older because of the harsh enviroment.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#28]
20 yrs of stress of hiding from the Empire can age someone real quick.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Alec Guiness was 63 in Star Wars
so if the character was supposed to be in his late 50s it's not that far off
I figure Episode 3 obi wan to be around 35-40
so 55-60 in episode 4 isn't far off from the real life age of the actor
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#30]
it was going to be Ben Wah but someone was already using it
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#31]
So how old was Chewbacca then?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
So how old was Chewbacca then? hr

My thoughts exactly.  Chewie seemed to age much more gracefully.

In the same vein, did anybody notice in Ep 4 the kid version of Guido(sp?)  who Han would later blaster under the table as an adult in the employ of Jabba?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In the same vein, did anybody notice in Ep 4 the kid version of Guido(sp?)  who Han would later blaster under the table as an adult in the employ of Jabba?

Greedo.

Greedo shot first.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#34]
I think he shoud have been named Onlyone Canoli
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you mean Anakin's little buddy in Episode I... the one checking out his pod racer? I don't knwo if they said thwt was actually Greedo...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:47:46 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
So how old was Chewbacca then? hr

Do you mean Anakin's little buddy in Episode I... the one checking out his pod racer? I don't knwo if they said thwt was actually Greedo...

Yes that is the one.  They didn't actually say it but I took it to be him cause they look just alike.  I got wrapped up in the whole divergent paths of youth thing.  A good playmate gone bad.  Um actually two good playmates gone bad.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wookies are a much longer lived species, At the time of Episode IV I think he was supposed to be about 200 and barely middle aged.

Gredo was the bounty hunter that Han killed in the bar.  He was a Rhodian IIRC and Anakin's friend was just another Rhodian.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Greedo's in a deleted scene on the dvd, adn is a different rhodian kid than the one anakin was friends with. he was a punk bully
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Excellent point.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top