Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 5:59:05 PM EST
I have been averaging around 9-10 minute miles, takes me about 27-30 minutes to do 3 miles on a cross country course in a local park.

Been doing it for about two weeks now (3 if you include this week). I'd like to get a little faster.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:40:37 PM EST
My guess would be 22-25 minutes. Ran a 5k at a city park a two weeks ago. 17:20 won it, I finished at 22:45 and was 56 out of 341 people. How many days a week are you running and how many miles per week? I wouldn't worry much about time right now. Just work on getting a good mileage base and the time will start dropping.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:58:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/5/2008 7:59:11 PM EST by Mike_Mills]
When I ran cross country in college, guys were winning MAJOR races with times not much longer than 4 1/2 minute miles for a 5 mile race. That's like 22 minutes for 5 miles cross country. They were SERIOUS runners. I never did better than about 28 minutes.

They would run 3 miles in about 14 minutes. I could do it in under 17-18 minutes.

If you are not running 5 minute miles you are not competitive.

Do you WANT to be a competitive runner? Being a competitive runner is HARD WORK! It hurts. It is also a lot of fun on race day.

What are your objectives?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:01:33 PM EST
You needed to run a 17:45 5K to make the varsity CC team at my high school. My fastest was a 17:15 on a relatively flat course. I was no were near the fastest guy on the team.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 1:59:04 AM EST

Originally Posted By plt228:
My guess would be 22-25 minutes. Ran a 5k at a city park a two weeks ago. 17:20 won it, I finished at 22:45 and was 56 out of 341 people. How many days a week are you running and how many miles per week? I wouldn't worry much about time right now. Just work on getting a good mileage base and the time will start dropping.

About 3-4 days a week, 12 miles a week.

Just curious as to when I'd start seeing improvement..
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:28:56 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/6/2008 4:32:44 AM EST by illigb]
Maintain about 20 miles a week for 4-6 weeks, and you will see your times improve.

I remember when I first started... I had a 5 mile course and I was hell-bent on running it in 40 minutes (8:00 per mile).

After about 6 weeks of regular running, I finally was able to do it.

ETA - get out at least 4 days a week, say 4, 5, 4, 7. You should be running the 4 milers 'harder' than you run the 7 miler. Shorter = more intensity/effort.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:50:08 AM EST
height=8
Originally Posted By VooDoo3dfx:
height=8
Originally Posted By plt228:

About 3-4 days a week, 12 miles a week.

Just curious as to when I'd start seeing improvement..

Sounds like a good start. That's about where I'm at on my weekly total. I use the 10% rule. Basically don't try and up your mileage more than 10% the previous week. For me I add 1 mile to 1 workout a week. Last year I jumped my mileage up too much and aggrivated my IT Band. Had to take a fwe months off to get over it. I would think you will start seeing improvement within 6 - 8 weeks. Down here the racing season is over with now, its just too hot and too humid to get folks out for a race. The summer time is normally a building time.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:56:28 PM EST

Originally Posted By illigb:
Maintain about 20 miles a week for 4-6 weeks, and you will see your times improve.

I remember when I first started... I had a 5 mile course and I was hell-bent on running it in 40 minutes (8:00 per mile).

After about 6 weeks of regular running, I finally was able to do it.

ETA - get out at least 4 days a week, say 4, 5, 4, 7. You should be running the 4 milers 'harder' than you run the 7 miler. Shorter = more intensity/effort.

Maybe what I'll do is increase my time (30 minutes) to a gradual time of 40 minutes.

The course I have is not well marked/listed, I have to use google earth to map out the areas .
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 9:32:06 AM EST
I agree with what alot of people said. I am not much of a 5k runner, I run one or two 5k races a year just for fun to see how fast I can go. I made a decent showing running a 22:30 at the last one I was at. I think I was 60 out of 300. I am more of a half marathon and marathon runner. Dont be afraid tog et out and try a race or two. The big 5k had times from 17:50 which won it to people in athe 30 minute area. Just getting out a being with other runners helps teach you stuff.
Top Top