Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 6:59:05 PM EDT
I have been averaging around 9-10 minute miles, takes me about 27-30 minutes to do 3 miles on a cross country course in a local park.

Been doing it for about two weeks now (3 if you include this week). I'd like to get a little faster.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#1]
My guess would be 22-25 minutes. Ran a 5k at a city park a two weeks ago. 17:20 won it, I finished at 22:45 and was 56 out of 341 people. How many days a week are you running and how many miles per week? I wouldn't worry much about time right now. Just work on getting a good mileage base and the time will start dropping.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#2]
When I ran cross country in college, guys were winning MAJOR races with times not much longer than 4 1/2 minute miles for a 5 mile race.  That's like 22 minutes for 5 miles cross country.  They were SERIOUS runners.  I never did better than about 28 minutes.

They would run 3 miles in about 14 minutes.  I could do it in under 17-18 minutes.

If you are not running 5 minute miles you are not competitive.

Do you WANT to be a competitive runner?  Being a competitive runner is HARD WORK!  It hurts.  It is also a lot of fun on race day.

What are your objectives?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:01:33 PM EDT
[#3]
You needed to run a 17:45 5K to make the varsity CC team at my high school. My fastest was a 17:15 on a relatively flat course. I was no were near the fastest guy on the team.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:59:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My guess would be 22-25 minutes. Ran a 5k at a city park a two weeks ago. 17:20 won it, I finished at 22:45 and was 56 out of 341 people. How many days a week are you running and how many miles per week? I wouldn't worry much about time right now. Just work on getting a good mileage base and the time will start dropping.

About 3-4 days a week, 12 miles a week.

Just curious as to when I'd start seeing improvement..
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:28:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Maintain about 20 miles a week for 4-6 weeks, and you will see your times improve.

I remember when I first started...  I had a 5 mile course and I was hell-bent on running it in 40 minutes (8:00 per mile).

After about 6 weeks of regular running, I finally was able to do it.

ETA - get out at least 4 days a week, say 4, 5, 4, 7.  You should be running the 4 milers 'harder' than you run the 7 miler.  Shorter = more intensity/effort.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:50:08 AM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

About 3-4 days a week, 12 miles a week.

Just curious as to when I'd start seeing improvement..

Sounds like a good start. That's about where I'm at on my weekly total. I use the 10% rule. Basically don't try and up your mileage more than 10% the previous week. For me I add 1 mile to 1 workout a week. Last year I jumped my mileage up too much and aggrivated my IT Band. Had to take a fwe months off to get over it. I would think you will start seeing improvement within 6 - 8 weeks. Down here the racing season is over with now, its just too hot and too humid to get folks out for a race. The summer time is normally a building time.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Maintain about 20 miles a week for 4-6 weeks, and you will see your times improve.

I remember when I first started...  I had a 5 mile course and I was hell-bent on running it in 40 minutes (8:00 per mile).

After about 6 weeks of regular running, I finally was able to do it.

ETA - get out at least 4 days a week, say 4, 5, 4, 7.  You should be running the 4 milers 'harder' than you run the 7 miler.  Shorter = more intensity/effort.

Maybe what I'll do is increase my time (30 minutes) to a gradual time of 40 minutes.

The course I have is not well marked/listed, I have to use google earth to map out the areas .
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree with what alot of people said. I am not much of a 5k runner, I run one or two 5k races a year just for fun to see how fast I can go. I made a decent showing running a 22:30 at the last one I was at. I think I was 60 out of 300. I am more of a half marathon and marathon runner. Dont be afraid tog et out and try a race or two. The big 5k had times from 17:50 which won it to people in athe 30 minute area. Just getting out a being with other runners helps teach you stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top