Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/30/2007 5:47:06 PM EDT
I think it is right up there with pro-wrestling in stupid and ghey. "Hey, let's beat the ever lovin' shit outta each other in front of a few hundred folks! That sounds like fun!" I just don't get it...

At least pro-wrestlers have to do some acting and theatrics. At least thats kinda good for a chuckle....
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#1]
It's real.

Wrestling is fake. Doh !
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess then don't watch it?  
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:51:27 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a combat sport called Mixed Martial Arts, or MMA. Wrestling is homoerotic redneck entertainment. Two completely different things.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#4]
You poser, you wouldnt last 20 seconds in the GON,TAP OUT BITCH
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think it is right up there with pro-wrestling in stupid and ghey. "Hey, let's beat the ever lovin' shit outta each other in front of a few hundred folks! That sounds like fun!" I just don't get it...

At least pro-wrestlers have to do some acting and theatrics. At least thats kinda good for a chuckle....

Anyone that thinks wrestling is better than MMA fighting is a sorry ass.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Boxing is dead, and until someone with a little charisma and personality revives it Ultimate Fighting rules the roost.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Go to a local MMA club and start taking lessons.

Stick with it for a few months and then re post.

The US Army went to a MMA based Combatives System. Modern Mixed Martial arts is "The"  model for un armed self defense.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I really hope this is a joke
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I just think that all the attention it, and wrestling get is ghey. If I wanted to see a couple of guys beat the shit out of each other I can go to any local bar and see that.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I just think that all the attention it, and wrestling get is ghey. If I wanted to see a couple of guys beat the shit out of each other I can go to any local bar and see that.

There is so much more to MMA than two untrained folks beating the shit out of each other. MMA involves stand-up, clench and ground fighitng. Each with it's own dynamic and subtle nuiances.

If you think it is that simple go find a Brazillian Jiu Jitsu school and challenge a white belt during open mat. Pay the mat fee and roll with them.

They will whoop your ass. You will be taping left and right. You need to train it and try it to really apreceate it.

And if you carry a gun you need groundwork skills to be able to defend the gun if you get taken down and there is a gun grab attempt.

UFC has revolutionized unamred combat in the USA.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#11]
A lot of the guys are very skilled, but frankly I find the ground-and-pound guys a bit boring to watch.  I prefer to watch a stand up fight.  I used to like the PKA when it was around.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#12]
UFC (MMA) is real.... wrestling is fake except to this guy it still real to him and hes serious about it. www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvTNyKIGXiI
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I never got into boxing.  Kind of the same thing, I really don't care to watch two grown men beat each other to pulp.  No entertainment for me.

But, bread and circus for some, I suppose.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:11:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Dude - is this the week where your wife gets to keep your nuts in a jar?

UFC fucking rocks. Im watching it now. I am probably the last guy you would think would like it. But I enjoy it. Its not fake and there are some good fights on there.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Personally, I don't see the draw of watching two guys beat the shit out of each other, regardless of the skill level.

I know people who seriously follow it, make it a point to watch it when it's free at home or at the bar when it's PPV.  But honestly, I'd rather watch, well, almost anything.

I don't doubt the skill and I'm sure any one of those guys could beat me down before the ref finishes saying "lets get it on", but I just don't care to watch it.

Don't really give a damn about NASCAR either.

ETA: Maybe if ESPN televised 3-gun matches...
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#16]
It's supposidly all about real fighting.

Like if you were in a steet fight. This is what alot of people dream about.

Kinda like us and our zombies.

Sad thing is, it's not always fun.

I've seen some of the end result of 6inch taller siblings that were on steriods beat the hell out of my father.

Guess what profession my "sibling" went into.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Personally, I don't see the draw of watching two guys beat the shit out of each other, regardless of the skill level..

You sound just like my wife.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
A lot of the guys are very skilled, but frankly I find the ground-and-pound guys a bit boring to watch.  I prefer to watch a stand up fight.

I agree with you but I do think that MMA is sort of evolutionary at this point. There are are other venues than the UFC that showcase the stand up phase of unarmed combat.

Killswitch-do you consider yourself proficient in unarmed combat? I do think that what these men do is valuable as far as entertainment goes. I also think that what thay do and train for is more relevant than some of the other popular "martial arts". I mean boxing ,wrestling,and a whole host of asian arts. That being said -try pulling guard in a bar fight and the guy on top of you will call his his buddy over to stomp your face in.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:28:31 PM EDT
[#20]
No really, take a guess.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I bet UFC would be more interesting to watch if one of the fighters had a $1200 knife to use.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd say the UFC sure is a "real" fight in the sense that both participants are trying their very best to whack the crap out of each other.  They're trained to a level of fitness and skill that beats 99.9% of anyone out there (yes, they're better than me too).

But they still follow rules and train to fight an opponent who's also following those rules.  They get searched before the fight to ensure they don't have concealed weapons.

It's bloodsport entertainment, not to be confused with a real-life streetfight.  Good fun for everyone.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I love K1, see YouTube for some videos.
A while back I saw  a tiny kickboxing African take on a huge Japanese sumo wrestler
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
You poser, you wouldnt last 20 seconds in the GON,TAP OUT BITCH

I hold rank in three arts. I have tapped out and made people tape out.  I want to ask why all of the aggression and ugliness?  Save that for the ring, if you have the right stuff. Unwind a little bit people!  The guy only asked a question.    
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:54:56 PM EDT
[#25]
terribly weak rant.  such a great thread title, but a huge letdown once the post is read.  

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:56:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Complete and total ignorance.

"What's the deal with all this 'assault rifle' crap?  I just don't get why anyone would need an M-16 or an AK-47 or a 'clip' with more than 5 rounds."

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:59:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't understand anyone who has no interest in it.  In our world of phonies, fakes, freaks and poseurs, here are two true athletes trying their level best to compete.  

There is a purity and honesty about it that is appealing.  Although aggression is an innate part of our psychology, we are taught from a young age to cover it up and control it.  MMA is the most natural thing in the world.  The only thing that could make it better are edged weapons, armor, and wild animals.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
It's supposidly all about real fighting.

Like if you were in a steet fight. This is what alot of people dream about.

Kinda like us and our zombies.

Sad thing is, it's not always fun.

I've seen some of the end result of 6inch taller siblings that were on steriods beat the hell out of my father.

Guess what profession my "sibling" went into.

Quoted:
No really, take a guess.

LE?
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I think it is right up there with pro-wrestling in stupid and ghey.....

That is one extraordinarly uninformed opinion.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Have you ever played any sport at all?
Bob
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Killswitch1892  why would you pick a name like that,you actually have a 1892?

I saw a man weighing about 300 lbs his name was Sapps pushing and beating the hell out of a smaller 230 lb man and pretty much haveing his way with him utill he got caught in an arm bar!  GAME OVER!

Rear Naked choke hold is what you need to watch for!

Go back to whatever game you were playing,but don't ever post about MMA again!

Things you don't know can hurt you!

Bob
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Boxing is dead, and until someone with a little charisma and personality revives it Ultimate Fighting rules the roost.

Boxing is dead? Not by a long shot. It is still wildly popular in Europe and Asia, and although it may not be as big as it used to be in the States, recent PPV sales have been very good.

Don't confuse there being less heavyweight talent in boxing for the death of the sport.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:05:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Okay, so I'm watching this UFC fight last month, and one guy is kneeling over his opponent laying face up, throwing massive blows right to his face, one after another. Now I'm a big boxing fan, real boxing that is.  I'm like "let him live to fight another day!"  UFC is too much. Real injuries make it so that the losing fighter can never 100% come back to avenge a loss.  WTF?  Has anyone actually died in these fights yet?

ETA: Ultimately, it's supposed to be a sport, right?  Not a live fight to the death.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:47:51 PM EDT
[#35]
If you like contact sports but want to see some real skill, then watch a judo match, Its an olympic sport with rules that ensure safety but you can still kick ass. The combination of throws, chokes, pins ,and arm bars makes it one of the most respected, most participated, and dynamic sports on the planet.

ass kicking right here
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
If you like contact sports but want to see some real skill, then watch a judo match, Its an olympic sport with rules that ensure safety but you can still kick ass. The combination of throws, chokes, pins ,and arm bars makes it one of the most respected, most participated, and dynamic sports on the planet.

ass kicking right here

That is pretty fun to watch.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:05:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Correct me if I am wrong but those guys make more than a couple of hundred dollars.

A LOT more if I were to guess.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

That is pretty fun to watch.

This one isn't very fun to watch.  (I SWEAR it IS NOT A RICK ROLL)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wEnVbnucYtc

But this one is (again, NOT a rick roll)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=in6OXI7WeZo&feature=related

rr
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:13:27 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
A lot of the guys are very skilled, but frankly I find the ground-and-pound guys a bit boring to watch.  I prefer to watch a stand up fight.  I used to like the PKA when it was around.

Exactly.  Very boring.  The boxing/kickboxing aspects of it are fun to watch, but a couple of guys clenched up beating on each other (or just laying there like a dead fish) is the stupidest spectator sport on the planet.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I bet UFC would be more interesting to watch if one of the fighters had a $1200 knife to use.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

+1

Personally, I got sick of the boxers when this new group of young fighters made no bones about admitting freely on air in front of Larry merchant and the world, that they didnt care who the fans wanted to see them fight or who was ranked #2, they would fight the person that brought the biggest paycheck.

I'm not so naive that I dont know what makes the industry run, but at least act like you have love for the sport and not the money.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:38:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Okay, so I'm watching this UFC fight last month, and one guy is kneeling over his opponent laying face up, throwing massive blows right to his face, one after another. Now I'm a big boxing fan, real boxing that is.  I'm like "let him live to fight another day!"  UFC is too much. Real injuries make it so that the losing fighter can never 100% come back to avenge a loss. WTF?  Has anyone actually died in these fights yet?

ETA: Ultimately, it's supposed to be a sport, right?  Not a live fight to the death.

Actually, from what I understand, a broken nose or cut eye is WAY better than the long term, brain jarring beating that boxers take. If the fighters were to actually stand and duke it out, they usually only go about 10 minutes, if that, of actual fighting.

Boxing requires 100's of fights over the length of a career, with 10-12 rounds of constant head jarring punches.

Just ask Muhammed Ali.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#43]
I find it funny how many people here are so pro self defense, but overlook hand to hand combat.   MMA rules!
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:01:11 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I find it funny how many people here are so pro self defense, but overlook hand to hand combat.   MMA rules!

MMA as a self defense method that mixes boxing, Thai boxing, wrestling and jujitsu is a very good self defense method.  However, what is practiced in the MMA for competition is not a good example of how that art should be applied IRL, IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:12:46 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Personally, I don't see the draw of watching two guys beat the shit out of each other, regardless of the skill level.

Its much more entertaining than african tree hockey.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:29:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Having been in fights, I appreciate knowing the right moves for the right situation - as much if not more than the right tools for the right job. Sure a screw driver or butter knife can do the trick for most jobs...but not all.

Ditto with the perennial "is a shotgun better than an AR for home defense" question. The answer is of course "sometimes". SOMETIMES, stand up throwing punches the old style way is "the answer" to a real life situation.

SOMETIMES it's enough to throw one punch to make 'the point' and settle something.

But other times - especially when in the street or parking lot, and accosted by a younger, faster, bigger and taller guy, the 'old way' is NO WAY.

So you need to use their advantages AGAINST them. Speed and weight are great only if controlled. A quick Judo or wrestling move that re-directs their body's motion away from your face can turn a serious beating into a quickly resolved "OK, now that you're on the ground, bloodied, and I'm on top, pinning you to the ground, let's call it a draw".

In the Movies the fight scenes where one guy takes out a dozen...have to be carefully choreographed to work. I love watching the outtakes of the Jackie Chan movies showing how hard it is for him to pull off some of those moves. More than half the times he'd have LOST - and that's with a crew of fighters who've trained with him for years.

So the scenario: you're out shopping and come back to the BOV parked in the back of the parking lot. You are met by one large, hard-body muscle bound guy with a mean look and a snarl on his lips. He's at least 6" taller and at least 100lbs. heavier than you.

You aren't packing a gun, and the folder is still in your back pocket - plus, in the nanosecond between being startled into defending your life you hesitate about turning this into a knife fight.

Too late! He's moved into your 'personal do-or-die zone'. He wants to take your money, keys, and probably your life too.

Now what can you do with someone that big?

Not much in a stand up slug fest. But the bigger they get, the more force and weight is channeled down their legs to their knees. Top heavy guys have few weaknesses - their knees are two of them. Their higher center of gravity is the chief weakness. Knock a big guy down and the 'field is leveled' somewhat. Not entirely, but some what.

Trouble is, in a fluid situation like a fight, you really only have ONE chance to start off on the "right foot" - one mistake and it might be the last. If the swift kick to his knee misses now he's beating on you mercilessly, so what next? Unless you train, improvisation is betting on a ray of luck in a bad luck thunderstorm.

Change the scenario to two big guys.

If it was me, my first reaction would be to turn 90 degrees and jump ON TOP of the nearest car/truck. This accomplishes two things. One, it gives me distance from the immediate attack and two, it surprises the assailants - attracts attention and hopefully sets the car alarm off.

I'm not going to take on TWO bigger guys mano a mano. But it could happen. If they know multiple fighting styles, my chances of escaping drop. still, the fluid nature of fighting is a Murphy's Law zone for everyone.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:36:36 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
So the scenario: you're out shopping and come back to the BOV parked in the back of the parking lot. You are met by one large, hard-body muscle bound guy with a mean look and a snarl on his lips. He's at least 6" taller and at least 100lbs. heavier than you.

That would make him 6'4" and 300lbs.  I don't run into too many guys that size...  

You aren't packing a gun

So this is in Canada or something?  Why am I shopping in Canada?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:39:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Wrestling and MMA have _a lot_ in common, in and out of the ring, community-wise, etc etc.

The only real difference is that they hurt each other for real in MMA.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:01:59 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its much more entertaining than african tree hockey.

BOT, I'd be willing to say if you don't like MMA you either don't like sports ( ) or you don't understand two things:

1) The level of training & years of commitment it takes to be able to compete in the big leagues. - Almost without exception these guys have spent years training in multiple martial styles plus strength and conditioning training. All with the purpose of becoming the best martial arts practitioner they can. Some of these guys train more than the average joe works in any given year.

2) The evolution of the sport as far as the UFC goes - People say that "it's not real life because you have to obey certain rules". That is true. The UFC wasn't always like that, in the old days of the sport there were no rules, no weight classes, it was a true free-for-all. I've got the VHS tapes from those days sitting in my entertainment center

Guess what happened? John McCain. After he saw a MMA fight in 1996 he made it his mission in life to shut the sport down. He lobbied every single governor to ban it in their state. Several did. Then Johnny became chairman of the commerce committee, which oversees the cable industry and soon the major cable companies withdrew from airing the matches.

The UFC was forced to make changes to survive. They had to implement all the rules you now see just to be able to keep the sport alive in the US. It wasn't their choice, it's the fault of the asshat Senator from AZ.

Even though the rules have changed the athletes of the UFC have continued to evolve. At present, I feel it is the absolute pinnacle of athleticism and competition. Two men facing each other with nothing but their own skill and heart to rely on. It is the best, most pure, most exciting sport out there for my money.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:08:37 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Okay, so I'm watching this UFC fight last month, and one guy is kneeling over his opponent laying face up, throwing massive blows right to his face, one after another. Now I'm a big boxing fan, real boxing that is.  I'm like "let him live to fight another day!"  UFC is too much. Real injuries make it so that the losing fighter can never 100% come back to avenge a loss.  WTF?  Has anyone actually died in these fights yet?

Yea , Yea, Tell it. Tell it like it is. At least one fighter is killed every fuckin time. What is up with that, all them killins. it aint right I'm tellin ya, it aint right.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top