Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:10:11 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Okay, so I'm watching this UFC fight last month, and one guy is kneeling over his opponent laying face up, throwing massive blows right to his face, one after another. Now I'm a big boxing fan, real boxing that is.  I'm like "let him live to fight another day!"  UFC is too much.

It's just different is all. What you witnessed there was the equivalent of a boxer having his guy trapped in the corner. If he's landing shots, the end is near. I've seen a few fights that should have been stopped earlier, and I've seen the same thing in boxing. Tommy Morrison ate at least 5 full power shots from Ray Mercer after that fight should have been stopped. The angles and body mechanics are different on the ground than when standing, so there's not as much on those punches as there are when a guy is standing and can put his entire body behind it.
So, it's the same as boxing, just different. I can see how it can be shocking to you, because from a boxing rules perspective, it can appear very "uncivilized."

One guy has died in MMA. Fighting over in Russia about 10 years back, Doug Dedge, but he had a pre-existing medical condition. Just looked, he's even got his own Wikipedia entry: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Dedge
The wiki article references a 15 year old kid in Tijuana in 1981, but I have a REAL hard time believing that fight was anything resembling the modern incarnation of MMA. Sounds more like an underground pit fight that immediately preceded or was followed by a donkey show.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:26:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I tried, but I just can't get into MMA.  I like it when they stand up and fight.  I hate when they lay on the ground for 5 minutes.  BORING!
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:39:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Evertime I've looked at it one of the guys was laying on top of the other...normally between their legs...
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:47:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Evertime I've looked at it one of the guys was laying on top of the other...normally between their legs...

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:54:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i73.photobucket.com/albums/i227/JonnySak/212227e8489eacc95e9586b3d3ffd7d5.jpg

That picture always makes me laugh. I always get my Rua's mixed up, though. Is that Shogun?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:55:53 AM EDT
[#6]
My 15 year old son has been going to a Gracie Barra school for a year now 3,4 times a week.

He loves it when I allow him to use me as a practice dummy.   It always amazes me what he has learned.  I'm bigger and stronger but I have a hard time trying to counter his moves.  
 One mistake on my part and he's got some sort of joint lock or choke.      

He's starting up kick boxing next week, I can't wait.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:01:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That picture always makes me laugh. I always get my Rua's mixed up, though. Is that Shogun?

Wanderlei Silva in front and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua in back
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:19:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Its much more entertaining than african tree hockey.

That's sig material
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:30:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I like MMA better than boxing because it is more real world. And I still think MMA is a little tame by real world stanards. I have seen things done in real world fights that can't/shouldn't be allowed in MMA.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:38:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Just a fad because some one else is watching it/doing it. I first thought it was gay wrestling... I was informed other wise...
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I tried, but I just can't get into MMA.  I like it when they stand up and fight.  I hate when they lay on the ground for 5 minutes.  BORING!

This is because you don't fully grasp the nuances of the wrestling and submission grappling involved in the ground aspect of the fights you are watching.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:06:56 AM EDT
[#12]
UFC is alot lighter than it was when it first came out. Those matches were just plain brutal in the early days. No weight classes, no fighting style classes, no holds barred except eye gouging and biting.

I can't remember the guys name, but he was a 5' 10" 175 lb. white guy from the midwest who was a Ken Po (sp?) master. They put him in the octogon with a 6' 8" 600 lb. Sumo wrestler. The little white guy won that fight by getting behind sumo on the ground and beating him in the head until he tapped out. However, he couldn't go any farther during that UFC since he broke his hand from all the head blows he was delivering
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:10:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I compete in, & teach MMA. I'm not going to come on here & try to talk anyone into enjoying my sport or tell you why it's so great, but...

...You learn a lot about yourself when you walk into a ring or cage & put it all on the line against a guy whose as well trained & in as good as shape as yourself. I've had plenty of streetfights growing up & hanging out at the bar, but fighting someone else who knows his stuff and has no fear of you or the consequences is truly having "cajones".

Not to mention, there's is absolutely no greater rush!! Imagine an enire amsement park of rides all rolled up into 5, 10 or 15 minutes!
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Okay, so I'm watching this UFC fight last month, and one guy is kneeling over his opponent laying face up, throwing massive blows right to his face, one after another. Now I'm a big boxing fan, real boxing that is.  I'm like "let him live to fight another day!"  UFC is too much. Real injuries make it so that the losing fighter can never 100% come back to avenge a loss.  WTF?  Has anyone actually died in these fights yet?

ETA: Ultimately, it's supposed to be a sport, right?  Not a live fight to the death.

More people die in boxing than in MMA.

In MMA there is no standing 8 count, once you get knocked out, tap, or pass out that is it. In Boxing you can be knocked silly and keep on fighting. Thats why you have people like Mohammad Ali.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
UFC is alot lighter than it was when it first came out. Those matches were just plain brutal in the early days. No weight classes, no fighting style classes, no holds barred except eye gouging and biting.

I can't remember the guys name, but he was a 5' 10" 175 lb. white guy from the midwest who was a Ken Po (sp?) master. They put him in the octogon with a 6' 8" 600 lb. Sumo wrestler. The little white guy won that fight by getting behind sumo on the ground and beating him in the head until he tapped out. However, he couldn't go any farther during that UFC since he broke his hand from all the head blows he was delivering

Keith Hackney
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keith Hackney

Yeah! That guy!

Man I am so glad you knew that because it was gonna bug me all day if I kept wondering.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:19:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keith Hackney

Yeah! That guy!

Man I am so glad you knew that because it was gonna bug me all day if I kept wondering.

Now if Keith was wearing heavy gloves like in boxing he could have kept striking and done way more damage than in the case of no gloves or the  light gloves used in MMA.

More proof that MMA is inherintly safer.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Don Frye is awesome

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6315113964671200441&q=Don+frye&total=169&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Holy crap!  Great video.  Thanks for sharing it!
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The first 2 or 3 of them were pretty entertaining.  They had kung fu guys, karate guys, judo, kick boxers, even ninjas.  Some of the fights were pretty damn one-sided.  

Now its all the same MMA stuff and boring as hell.  MMA is only revolutionary in the minds of those that forgot or didn't know that it has been around for a long time before this UFC stuff.  BJJ got popular because of UFC, it had a lot to do with putting a 4th degree black belt in a pretty solid art up against a lot of poorly trained individuals.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:29:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Don Frye is awesome

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6315113964671200441&q=Don+frye&total=169&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

holy shit.........that was brutal.........I love it!!!!!!!!!!

OP prolly thinks it's nasty though........so he better turn the channel and put his pink crocs back on........

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Okay, so I'm watching this UFC fight last month, and one guy is kneeling over his opponent laying face up, throwing massive blows right to his face, one after another. Now I'm a big boxing fan, real boxing that is.  I'm like "let him live to fight another day!"  UFC is too much. Real injuries make it so that the losing fighter can never 100% come back to avenge a loss.  WTF?  Has anyone actually died in these fights yet?

ETA: Ultimately, it's supposed to be a sport, right?  Not a live fight to the death.

i would think the opposite--the sheer violence of MMA means far fewer total blows to the head, simply because the fights are stopped so quickly.  if you watch, you'll notice that if a guy is taking direct, hard head punches, the ref usually calls the fight almost immediately.  add to that the fact that striking is only part of the game--you'll see a lot of fights that include only a few desultory punches before going to the mat.

western boxing, OTOH, is a virtual guarantee of 45 mins of head punches.  each punch is slightly more padded, but the cumulative effect is far more damaging for both fighters.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Keith Hackney.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:39:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keith Hackney.

Kieth Hackney - Tiger Kenpo Karate

Beating

Emanuel Yarborough - Sumo.

Broke his hand on that dudes head, and couldn't return.

That was on one of the first 5 UFC's or so, back in the day of Tank Abbot, before he got suspended for whipping ass on someone in the crowd for talking shit after the fight.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Don Frye is awesome

Never go blow for blow with Don Frye.

ETA: Or Mark Coleman.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
It's real.

Wrestling is fake. Doh !

It's real, but frankly it almost always devolves to grappling which I find very boring.  I would rather watch boxing.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
A lot of the guys are very skilled, but frankly I find the ground-and-pound guys a bit boring to watch.  I prefer to watch a stand up fight.  I used to like the PKA when it was around.

+1
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#29]
TANK ABBOT HIGHLIGHTS

I was fighting when the prize was going to jail...

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I just think that all the attention it, and wrestling get is ghey. If I wanted to see a couple of guys beat the shit out of each other I can go to any local bar and see that.
+1
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I just think that all the attention it, and wrestling get is ghey. If I wanted to see a couple of guys beat the shit out of each other I can go to any local bar and see that.

Unlike "Paintball", which is totally cool right?

MMA / UFC is the best thing to come along in many years now.

I wish I had gotten into back when it started in the early 90's (?) or so.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 1:06:29 PM EDT
[#32]
The UFC has replaced boxing because boxing totally went to hell years ago. When a fight goes 10 rounds and there isn't any blood or any marks on either boxer, it's hard to believe it's a real fight. The UFC matches however leave no doubt that it's a real fight. Plus, the fact they can use all sorts of styles and techniques rather than being forced to stand in the middle of the ring throwing jabs, crosses, uppercuts and hooks. So it's a whole helluva lot more interesting.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I am a fan(huge fan actually) of boxing. I don't really care for MMA but I very much respect the atheletes involved. I believe it is safer for the atheletes than boxing. BTW Ali has Parkinsons which has nothing to do with getting hit in the head. Frasier is fine and he took way more punishment than ALI ever did.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#34]
It's all about the competition. Doesn't matter if it is a knock down drag out or a very skillful application of wrestling, Ju Jujitsu, or judo. MMA is good competition.

Boxing has suffered because it is corrupt.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I think it is right up there with pro-wrestling in stupid and ghey. "Hey, let's beat the ever lovin' shit outta each other in front of a few hundred folks! That sounds like fun!" I just don't get it...

At least pro-wrestlers have to do some acting and theatrics. At least thats kinda good for a chuckle....

Do you like football?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I bet UFC would be more interesting to watch if one of the fighters had a $1200 knife to use.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
It's all about the competition. Doesn't matter if it is a knock down drag out or a very skillful application of wrestling, Ju Jujitsu, or judo. MMA is good competition.

MMA, and all the UFC is crap.

Unless it is no rules and to the death, it is fucking lame.

There is no team aspect to it like other major sports (basket ball, foot ball, etc).  It is two fags in a enclosure squeezing on each other until one loses.

Put two men with rifles and pistols 2km apart from each other on a mixed terrain field (set up with buku cameras) and the object is to kill the other.

Now that is interesting.

One on one competition is NOT sport.  At least with any other sport there is team work and strategy.  With one on one it is "don't lose, and beat the shit out of the other guy"

Spare me the "you don't understand the nuances" crap.  Two grown half naked men rolling around inside a cage is about as gay as it gets.

There are rules, there are time limits all of which take away from the pure competition which is, in theory interesting.

It is all gamesmanship and who can get in better shape first - skill is secondary.

Lamo.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is no team aspect to it like other major sports (basket ball, foot ball, etc).  It is two fags in a enclosure squeezing on each other until one loses.

Put two men with rifles and pistols 2km apart from each other on a mixed terrain field (set up with buku cameras) and the object is to kill the other.

Now that is interesting.

One on one competition is NOT sport.  At least with any other sport there is team work and strategy.  With one on one it is "don't lose, and beat the shit out of the other guy"

Spare me the "you don't understand the nuances" crap.  Two grown half naked men rolling around inside a cage is about as gay as it gets.

There are rules, there are time limits all of which take away from the pure competition which is, in theory interesting.

It is all gamesmanship and who can get in better shape first - skill is secondary.

Lamo.

You're an idiot. Every single point you made was liberally sprinkled with 'stupid'. You need to learn a few things about what you are talking about before you go spouting your mouth off and look like a retard. A creepy retard with fantasies of hunting other people.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now that is interesting.

Lamo.

it's pretty obvious that you've never fought, and it sounds as if you've never played a team sport other than softball.

since you clearly haven't read the thread, and know nothing about the UFC, here's a little history--originally, the rules were:

1.  no eye gouging.

2.  no fishhooking.

and that's it.  no time limits, no weight classes...nothing.  the fight went on until one guy quit or was incapacitated.  while this satisfied most of your criteria, it wasn't that enjoyable to watch.  therefore, the rules were changed somewhat.  as royce gracie pointed out, the rule changes were very beneficial to the sport.  he said that the original rules determined which system was better, but that the new format proved who was the better fighter.

as for your "deathmatch" flight of fantasy, i don't really know what to say about that.  perhaps you should get your prescription refilled.

by the way, could you tell us which sport you prefer?  is it football, with all those grown men running around in uniforms which exaggerate their secondary sex characteristics, and the QBs hands up the center's ass all day?

baseball?  you like the boys in tight pants maybe?

oh wait...i've got it!  your heavy emphasis on homosexuality means that you like basketball, where if one boy touches another boy's hand, it is a foul.

grow up.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:29:45 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is so much more to MMA than two untrained folks beating the shit out of each other. MMA involves stand-up, clench and ground fighitng. Each with it's own dynamic and subtle nuiances.

If you think it is that simple go find a Brazillian Jiu Jitsu school and challenge a white belt during open mat. Pay the mat fee and roll with them.

They will whoop your ass. You will be taping left and right. You need to train it and try it to really apreceate it.

And if you carry a gun you need groundwork skills to be able to defend the gun if you get taken down and there is a gun grab attempt.

UFC has revolutionized unamred combat in the USA.

But still, since it is a competition, almost all of the most effective moves for SD are outlawed(Eye gouging, Knee kicks, Throat punches, etc.).
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:34:30 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I'd say the UFC sure is a "real" fight in the sense that both participants are trying their very best to whack the crap out of each other.  They're trained to a level of fitness and skill that beats 99.9% of anyone out there (yes, they're better than me too).

But they still follow rules and train to fight an opponent who's also following those rules.  They get searched before the fight to ensure they don't have concealed weapons.

It's bloodsport entertainment, not to be confused with a real-life streetfight.  Good fun for everyone.

Yep... It's still a sport with rules (that outlaw undeniably THE most effective moves in a life-or-death unarmed fight)

If it were really no holds barred, then I'd imagine VERY few fighters would ever be able to get in a ring again after a few fights at most.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#42]
I love watching MMA because it is the next stage in evolution of the martial arts.  All of the traditional disciplines -Akido, Judo, Karate, etc. developed as fighting systems adapted to the conditions of the time, and then became frozen in tradition.  MMA is the next stage of evolution, and it is a uniquely western and American evolution in that it borrows freely from numerous systems, but primarily Ju-Jitsu, Thai Boxing, Western Boxing, and Western Freesytle Wrestling, in order to create a new and better system.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is so much more to MMA than two untrained folks beating the shit out of each other. MMA involves stand-up, clench and ground fighitng. Each with it's own dynamic and subtle nuiances.

If you think it is that simple go find a Brazillian Jiu Jitsu school and challenge a white belt during open mat. Pay the mat fee and roll with them.

They will whoop your ass. You will be taping left and right. You need to train it and try it to really apreceate it.

And if you carry a gun you need groundwork skills to be able to defend the gun if you get taken down and there is a gun grab attempt.

UFC has revolutionized unamred combat in the USA.

But still, since it is a competition, almost all of the most effective moves for SD are outlawed(Eye gouging, Knee kicks, Throat punches, etc.).

I'm not sure of your angle on this, but I'll address the reality of techniques banned from the sport. So add in an eye gouge when the situation calls for it or punch them in the throat. I've never understood the naysayers on that stuff. I was rolling with one back in the 90's. One of those "my stuff is too deadly", and he brought up eye-gouging. I was able to wipe his eyelids with my thumb at will. I could have cleaned his damn ears from the inside. He couldn't even touch my face, because I controlled him, his hands, and his arms, and I wasn't letting any fingers in my face. It doesn't take any skill or training to stick a thumb in someone's eye. There's no secret technique to it. Any retard can add it to any situation at will, so a person can't condemn any MMA stuff by saying "Well, they don't _______" because if they did, they'd be more effective at it that some Shaolin monkey humper.

I wasn't aware that knee kicks were illegal. It seems like it would be pretty damn hard to police, especially when you lift your knee up to check leg kicks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

You're comparing a disciplined sport with some of the best trained athletes in the world to drunken slobs in a pub, thats about as bad as saying pitbulls are predisposed to kill babies.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
TANK ABBOT HIGHLIGHTS

That KO at 2:15 looked like he killed the guy.

Looks like the big samoan I mentioned pre-edit is in the highlights too.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#46]
It has my acceptance after they did a special fight night at a USMC Air Base in Iraq.  It showed this past Friday night if anyone saw it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
You poser, you wouldnt last 20 seconds in the GON,TAP OUT BITCH

Yup. Wrestling is considered the most energy draining sport, atleast in school it was..Ide last 30 seconds
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
TANK ABBOT HIGHLIGHTS

That KO at 2:15 looked like he killed the guy.

Looks like the big samoan I mentioned pre-edit is in the highlights too.

Cabbage?

That was the first time i'd seen that KO.  Man that was nasty, Cabbage was known for his incredible chin too.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now that is interesting.

Lamo.

it's pretty obvious that you've never fought, and it sounds as if you've never played a team sport other than softball.

since you clearly haven't read the thread, and know nothing about the UFC, here's a little history--originally, the rules were:

1.  no eye gouging.

2.  no fishhooking.

3. no weapons

4. enclosed space - no real world settings

5. not in street or "combat" clothing

and that's it.  no time limits, no weight classes...nothing.  the fight went on until one guy quit or was incapacitated.  while this satisfied most of your criteria, it wasn't that enjoyable to watch.  therefore, the rules were changed somewhat.  as royce gracie pointed out, the rule changes were very beneficial to the sport.  he said that the original rules determined which system was better, but that the new format proved who was the better fighter.

as for your "deathmatch" flight of fantasy, i don't really know what to say about that.  perhaps you should get your prescription refilled.

by the way, could you tell us which sport you prefer?  is it football, with all those grown men running around in uniforms which exaggerate their secondary sex characteristics, and the QBs hands up the center's ass all day?

baseball?  you like the boys in tight pants maybe?

oh wait...i've got it!  your heavy emphasis on homosexuality means that you like basketball, where if one boy touches another boy's hand, it is a foul.

grow up.

Whine so more since I'm pissing on gay little sport.

It IS nothing more than two guys beating the piss out of each other.  Who the fuck fights like that in the real world?  Ok, lets go over this again.  You claim it is a sport.  Fine, some sports emphasize more aspects then others.  Most are team sports, and one can appreciate the strategy and team work involved to play the game.  Others like boxing are invidual sports and like MMA/UFC are boring to watch.  Two dumbasses hitting each other, with even more rules than MMA/UFC.

I'll grow up when I feel like it.  My criticism of the sport are valid based off the fact that everyone in the thread has stated it is "realistic" street fighting.  Bullshit.  It is a GAME that rewards nothing but who is the strongest.  It is two dumbasses beating the shit out of each other and rolling around in a cage.

It is stupid and gay.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#50]
When I think of this, or see it on T.V., all that crosses my mind is............
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top