Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/4/2006 5:59:03 PM EDT
Well what would you do?  Last person that almost hit an animal leaving my property (didnt slow down to miss but the dog jumped out of the way) got a punch in the jaw the next time i seen him.  

poll inbound

he almost hit my sisters cocker spaniel, granted i dont like that dog, but you dont purposly try to hit a pet.

ETA: this thread got me thinking....

ETA 2:  This also means some one eles pet, cat, dog, or an animal that you see going down the road.

Like say you seen  some one swerve to hit a cat, what would you do?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:09:38 AM EDT
[#1]
There was a short story from Andrew Vachss (sp?) where that kind of asshole got owned- a painted replica dog made out of solid concrete in the middle of the road.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:11:47 AM EDT
[#2]
if someone purposely ran over one of my pets, i would be in jail.

ETA:
<---------
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:18:23 AM EDT
[#3]
when I was 14 (almost 14 years ago) this exact scenario occured.

I was helping the neighbor chase down his pup who squeezed past him when I knocked on his front door for a visit.

puppy gets about a block away (won't come when called...too young/untrained) as we're running after it.

asshole in old cutlass supreme partially leaves the paved surface as he swerves to hit the dog.

he ended up "nipping" her (wounds were superficial)

he got a busted taillight courtesy of a well-thrown piece of rip-rap (limestone).

Guy never slowed down or stopped.

That being said, I should have put it through his rear window.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:22:17 AM EDT
[#4]
It depends on what you consider a pet.

Some people eat dogs and cats, but worship cows.

Some people feed deer, squirrels, chipmunks and consider them pets.

Most people would shoot a rat, but I've two of them as pets before.  (they actually made pretty good pets)
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:25:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I didn't see anything
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:31:12 AM EDT
[#6]
If its a pet, KEEP YOUR ANIMAL OUT OF THE STREETS, if its a squirrel or some other wild animal and you purposely swerve to hit it, well your just an asshole.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#7]
A person who intentionally tries to hit someone's pet should be shot in the face.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A person who intentionally tries to hit someone's pet should be shot in the face.

I'm strangely comfortable with it.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:36:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

as has been stated many times before:

what kind of person intentionally kills someone's pet?

(question is rhetorical btw)
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow....flame away.

You love you pet so much, you would shoot someone over harming them. Yet, you would let them play in/by the road?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:37:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If its a pet, KEEP YOUR ANIMAL OUT OF THE STREETS, if its a squirrel or some other wild animal and you purposely swerve to hit it, well your just an asshole.

Fences get dug under, cables break, leash clips fail, animals sometimes run faster than you.  Yes, you should make every effort to keep them off the road.  If you are the type of asshole who deliberately attempts to hit a pet with a car then I could care less if you get beat to within an inch of your life.  I wouldn't even pick up the phone to call for help for you.  I'd certainly not turn in the other person.  Reap what you sew.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:38:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

i hope someone mistakes you for a pet and runs you over.  and then backs over you just to be safe.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:38:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Wow....flame away.

You love you pet so much, you would shoot someone over harming them. Yet, you would let them play in/by the road?

Sometimes it has nothing to do with "let".  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:41:32 AM EDT
[#15]
If my neighbors 100lb dog keep shitting in my lawn I am going to have an accident.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm strangely perfectlycomfortable with it.  

Fixed it for ya.

His was a movie quote.

And -1 for you for not knowing it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:43:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Wow....flame away.

wow!  you've completely miscontrued what this thread is about.

who said anything about allowing pets to play in the road?

the topic was "What would you do if you seen someone TRY to hit(with a vehicle) a pet?"

that means to intentionally and maliciously cause harm to another's property/loved one/family member.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:45:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Yo, Homie...is that my cat?

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Whenever I see someone's pet out in the road looking aloof I want to stomp it and act like I'm going to run over it by getting real close and scare it because I don't want the animal to be killed in the future.  You know, I want the animal to associate cars with fear so they will learn to stay away from them.  But I'd never do it in front of people because I know they'd misunderstand.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I seem to remember old blue haired ladies are worth 500 points..............

How many points again for a dog?

How 'bout a cat?

Mike
ps - just kidding here folks, as this thread seems far too serious for me (besides, I ride a scoot 24/7/365, so hitting animals would probably mess me up worse than them...)
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:59:21 AM EDT
[#22]
When I was a teenager we lived a couple of miles down a dirt road but all the mailboxes were lined up out on the paved highway. My brother and I would ride our motorcycles up to the road and get the mail everyday until some people moved in down the road with a doberman they let run loose. This is a rural area with no animal control outside the city limits.

Anyway the doberman loved to chase cars and motorcycles. He would come flying out of his yard and run right along side within a foot, barking and snapping at the vehicle. The owners refused to do anything about it. One day my brother and I decided to take our chances with the dog and were riding up to get the mail when the doberman ran into his bike causing him to wreck.

My uncle was out at the house that day with his work truck and trailer when we got back and told my mom and him about it. Just so happens that he accidentally ran over that doberman that day as he was leaving our house. He said it must have slipped in the sand when it came running out to chase his truck. Got it with the truck and the trailer, I think that dog deserved it. It ranks right up there with the day someone ran over my ex-wife's satan-spawned Siamese cat, not sure which one made me more happy.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#23]
My neighbor has a dog that if it were a dark night and I could get away with it I would be tempted to swerve to kill.  It poops on everybody's yard.  Considers the neighbors property as its boundary.  It acts like it is going to attack kids by coming very close to them barking and snarling.  It is not a safe pet and a nuscence to the neighborhood, but it is a pet to some poor kid.  I wouldn't have hard feeling if somebody took care of it for me  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I had a related discussion (regarding deliberate infliction of injury/pain on animals not related to hunting or reasonable extermination) with a tavern keeper recently. People who do that need to be watched carefully. VERY CAREFULLY. When he asked me what I thought about a kitten-stomper of whom he had heard, I replied "He's mostly likely also a bed-wetter, a firebug, and a current or eventual killer of humans." Based on personal observation as well as pretty substantial research, the correllation between deliberate animal cruelty (again, NOT hunting, pest-killing, or even shooting/poisoning a dog or cat in your yard [not that I necessarily approve of the latter]) and SERIOUSLY DANGEROUS sociopathy is astonishing.

If I saw somebody try to kill a dog for what appeared to be the pure hellish joy of it, I'd call the cops, so I'd know that when pieces of missing children start turning up in his recycle bin, the detectives will have something to work from.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:14:06 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow....flame away.

the topic was "What would you do if you seen someone TRY to hit(with a vehicle) a pet?"

that means to intentionally and maliciously cause harm to another's property/loved one/family member.  

I didn't take anything out of context. Immediately people started saying they would shoot someone for trying to run over their pet. I feel if you love your pet enough to kill someone over them, love them enough to protect them from pricks like that.
Is someone who tries to runover anything an ASSHOLE? Well fuck yes!
Is being an asshole a deadly sin? If it is, there are a bunch of people on this board, who should go ahead and take a bullet for the team.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Well what would you do?  Last person that almost hit an animal leaving my property (didnt slow down to miss but the dog jumped out of the way) got a punch in the jaw the next time i seen him.

Are you saying the guy intentionally tried to hit the dog or just didn't slow down/swerve around the dog ? To me there is a difference.

I don't swerve or brake for small animals, very dangerous. I know of one teenage girl around here that died as a result of her car rolling over when she swerved to miss a dog. A guy I went to high school with is paralyzed after being ejected from his vehicle because he ran off the road to miss a deer. Much more safe for yourself and other motorists on the road not to swerve or suddenly brake for small animals.

ETA: I will lift off the gas and maybe give them an extra second to move but that is about it. Don't want to hit anything but don't feel bad about it either.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:42:31 AM EDT
[#27]
I don’t have a problem with killing an animal for food, or to protect human life, or if the animal is just a plain nuisance. And humans are predators, so I think it’s normal to actually enjoy killing animals for any of these reasons. But, killing animals, just for the joy of killing, strikes me as a bit unbalanced to say the least.

Pets aren’t just animals though. A stray dog is just a stray dog, but a pet dog is an animal that someone loves and cares for. When you kill a pet you aren’t just killing an animal, you are causing pain and grief to other people. Killing a pet without very good cause is an act of evil of such magnitude that the ultimate punishment is called for.

Understand that I hesitate to use this punishment except in the most extreme cases, routine disagreements should be handled in more civilized ways. (Lead pipes or duels to the death.)

But this calls for….

Lawyers.

I would get their tag number and press charges for cruelty to animals. (If the police are reluctant I would go to the press with stories of little girls crying about fluffy getting crushed and an uncaring district attorney.)

Then I would sue them for the emotional trauma caused by witnessing such a vile act. I would encourage the pet owners to sue also. If I was the pet owner I would sue for everything I could think of and then some. I would even try to get the company I work for to sue because the trauma and caused my work performance to suffer.

Between the lawsuits and the criminal charges the pet killer would be bankrupted just from legal fees. (Which is my goal) I would also arrange (through third parties that know how to keep their mouths shut) to put up flyers with the perps picture, address and place of employment all around his home and place of work. That way everyone would know just what kind of person he is.

Likely he would lose his job over this as well as his house, his car, and possibly his family, assuming he has one. With thousands and debts, more thousands in judgments, no job, and a criminal record, our pet crusher would be totally destroyed as a human being in our society.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#28]
can you say beaten within a inch of they"re life ??
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I can, but proper grammer would prevent it.

j/k

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:50:45 AM EDT
[#30]
I saw a guy about 100 yards in front of me swerve to avoid hitting a squirrel
Dumb fuck is doing 65 and almost went out of control.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:58:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Whoa unto thee...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#32]
This is a tough one for me. Killing a neighbors pet is not something I would do lightly. If the animal bit me or one of my family members, then I would put it down because it is a menace to the neighborhood. The same goes for a rabid fox or a wayward coyote.

One of the issues I have been dealing w/ lately is goose control. Those feathered Thanksgiving dinners like to shit on my lawn and walk down the center of the road. I know they are not intentionally trying to cause harm, so I haven't exterminated them yet, but I have found other rewarding methods of discouraging their behavior. It's amazing how fast they will leave my property with bootlerockets, M80's, and mortars chasing them.......and if I catch them in the road I gladly chase the little bastards with the truck.

Accountant
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:09:51 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow....flame away.

I didn't take anything out of context. Immediately people started saying they would shoot someone for trying to run over their pet. I feel if you love your pet enough to kill someone over them, love them enough to protect them from pricks like that.
Is someone who tries to runover anything an ASSHOLE? Well fuck yes!
Is being an asshole a deadly sin? If it is, there are a bunch of people on this board, who should go ahead and take a bullet for the team.

point taken...

And no, I wouldn't shoot someone for killing a pet, but I couldn't guarantee that the thought wouldn't cross my mind.

A sound beating does seem justifiable though.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#34]
depends on the dog, and cituation

every  other weekend or so I go to my shooting range.   when i leave, a couple miles down the road.   I go down a road with trees on both sides of the road.   then the trees stop and then a couple houses.  75% of the time there is a dog there waiting to just  jump out in front of cars.(you can't see the dog because he  hides in the trees) you have to skid to a stop to avoid hitting him   I don't know what the stupid dog  is thinking.   there have been numerous times   where 2 or 3 of my rifles(in cases)  and flown from the back of the vehicle to the front and have either hit me or someone else in the back of the head or neck.   one time a bottle of hoppes #9 was broken.   now all winter my car has smelled like hoppes.  

what would you do in that cituation
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
depends on the dog, and situation

every  other weekend or so I go to my shooting range.   when i leave, a couple miles down the road.   I go down a road with trees on both sides of the road.   then the trees stop and then a couple houses.  75% of the time there is a dog there waiting to just  jump out in front of cars.(you can't see the dog because he  hides in the trees) you have to skid to a stop to avoid hitting him   I don't know what the stupid dog  is thinking.   there have been numerous times   where 2 or 3 of my rifles(in cases)  and flown from the back of the vehicle to the front and have either hit me or someone else in the back of the head or neck.   one time a bottle of hoppes #9 was broken.   now all winter my car has smelled like hoppes.  

what would you do in that situation

sorry but I couldn't look at it twice
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

every  other weekend or so I go to my shooting range.   when i leave, a couple miles down the road.   I go down a road with trees on both sides of the road.   then the trees stop and then a couple houses.  75% of the time there is a dog there waiting to just  jump out in front of cars.(you can't see the dog because he  hides in the trees) you have to skid to a stop to avoid hitting him   I don't know what the stupid dog  is thinking.   there have been numerous times   where 2 or 3 of my rifles(in cases)  and flown from the back of the vehicle to the front and have either hit me or someone else in the back of the head or neck.   one time a bottle of hoppes #9 was broken.  now all winter my car has smelled like hoppes.  

I give you -3 for totally inappropriate smiley deployment. I think you meant

now all winter my car has smelled like hoppes.  
Unless, of course, there's something you'd like to tell us by way of explanation. . . comrade cruze5. Hmmm?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

every  other weekend or so I go to my shooting range.   when i leave, a couple miles down the road.   I go down a road with trees on both sides of the road.   then the trees stop and then a couple houses.  75% of the time there is a dog there waiting to just  jump out in front of cars.(you can't see the dog because he  hides in the trees) you have to skid to a stop to avoid hitting him   I don't know what the stupid dog  is thinking.   there have been numerous times   where 2 or 3 of my rifles(in cases)  and flown from the back of the vehicle to the front and have either hit me or someone else in the back of the head or neck.   one time a bottle of hoppes #9 was broken.  now all winter my car has smelled like hoppes.  

I give you -3 for totally inappropriate smiley deployment. I think you meant

now all winter my car has smelled like hoppes.  
Unless, of course, there's something you'd like to tell us by way of explanation. . . comrade cruze5. Hmmm?

LOL

even my girlfriend doesn't mid the smell of Hoppe's when I clean my guns in the sink.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i hope someone mistakes you for a pet and runs you over.  and then backs over you just to be safe.

LOL your retarded, btw I kill cats.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#39]
i like the smell of hoppes don't get me wrong.   i just get light headed while driving for long periods

thanks for the spelling correction twonami,  I knew it didn't look right.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
i like the smell of hoppes don't get me wrong.   i just get light headed while driving for long periods

BONUS!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
If my neighbors 100lb dog keep shitting in my lawn I am going to have an accident.

So hit the neighbor, not the dog.  The dog doesn't know any better until he's taught.

FB
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BONUS!

Points deducted for prior penalty have been recredited. Cruze's card is now clean.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#43]
to say they would get beat up is an understatement
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm strangely comfortable with it.  

I was thinking a 12 slug through the femur, both of them
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

................  I don't know what the stupid dog  is thinking....................

Yeah, there's one down the street who tries to "catch" my car. Probably not long for the world. I'd really like to ask him WTF he would do with it if he CAUGHT it.

We have some friends who lost their dog ("Dutch," after RR). Someone ran 20' up into their yard to get it. In that situation I guess I'd try to follow them home and then contemplate my later reaction.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:15:15 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And you're illiterate.  But that kind of goes with what you're saying you do.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can, but proper grammer would prevent it.

j/k

Did you mean proper spelling would prevent it?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

illiterate.
il·lit·er·ate   Audio pronunciation of "illiterate" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (-ltr-t)
adj.

1. Unable to read and write.

1. Marked by inferiority to an expected standard of familiarity with language and literature.
        2. Violating prescribed standards of speech or writing.
  3. Ignorant of the fundamentals of a given art or branch of knowledge: musically illiterate. See Usage Note at literate.

I guess that makes you ignorant.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA: I didn't say I condoned running over an animal, I just said keep your pets out of the way of the road instead of blaming everyone for YOUR problem.

illiterate.
il·lit·er·ate   Audio pronunciation of "illiterate" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (-ltr-t)
adj.

1. Unable to read and write.

1. Marked by inferiority to an expected standard of familiarity with language and literature.
        2. Violating prescribed standards of speech or writing.
  3. Ignorant of the fundamentals of a given art or branch of knowledge: musically illiterate. See Usage Note at literate.

I guess that makes you ignorant.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top