Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/23/2006 7:46:41 AM EDT
I do tactical carbine and IDPA.

poll coming - multiple answers OK.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:49:05 AM EDT
[#1]
None

I wish I had time. I am hoping that once I get done with my house, sell it, move in to a new one, and get that settled, I'll be able to compete on weekends. Maybe 2008 if I'm lucky.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:49:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I do international shooting competitions all the time.  I want to do High power and small bore, but I will have to wait until after Collegiate Nationals.

ETA: mine is all precision pistol.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:50:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Tactical bumpfire, held whenever.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:50:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:52:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Sporting Clays and IHMSA  Big Bore, Small Bore, and Air Pistol.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:52:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You forgot to add 3 gun and shotgun.

I also "forgot"  cowboy action.

And Schuetzen.

And air rifle.

And silouette.

And blackpower.

And .....

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:00:23 AM EDT
[#7]
3 gun
IDPA
NTI
IPSC
PPC
Bianchi Cup
SWAT Challenge

...when I have time, that is, when I'm not in court, called-out, training, teaching, working, chewing out some rookie etc.

Sheep
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:03:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I use to shoot steel plates. They closed the place down and I have not competed since.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:09:37 AM EDT
[#9]
You also forgot Bullseye Pistol, that's what I do.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:16:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I shoot as regularly as I can in rifle, pistol and shotgun matches. I'm very weak in Precision rifle but plan to try to enter in those shoot as well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:31:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#12]
3 gun, going to have to miss this months match though
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#13]
ipsc and 3gun - monthly

i would do precision rifle matches if they had them around here
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I Love USPSA  IPSC

I quit IDPA because of all the chickenshit rules.

I like to shoot Steel plates too.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Mozambique El Presidente-two to the chest, one to the head
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:41:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I shoot some HP at Charlotte and I am a member of a local C&R club and we shoot at Leeds, Indian Creek and Manchester near Sumter. Mostly just for fun and comradeship. We have a shoot this weekend as a matter of fact. We call it the Winter War shoot in honer of the Finnish/Russian war.

Garandman you need to join us sometimes..
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I shoot some HP at Charlotte and I am a member of a local C&R club and we shoot at Leeds, Indian Creek and Manchester near Sumter. Mostly just for fun and comradeship. We have a shoot this weekend as a matter of fact. We call it the Winter War shoot in honer of the Finnish/Russian war.

Garandman you need to join us sometimes..

We got a tactical carbine match in Aiken Feb 25. See the Georgia Forum.

Please email me about your Sumpter shoot. Sounds interesting.

Don't beleive I've ever commemorated the Finnish / Russian war.  

Why aren't there any good shoots in the upstate? If I could find a location, I'd host them.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#18]
email sent
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#19]
3 gun and IDPA.

More IDPA than 3 gun, but they're both fun.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#20]
I used to shoot 3p smallbore, but I coach more than I shoot now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I Love USPSA  IPSC

+2/3rds  I haven't quit IDPA but don't like the chickenshit rules either.  The mag capacity limit and not being able to dump partially empty mags on the ground are the main two.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I Love USPSA  IPSC

+2/3rds  I haven't quit IDPA but don't like the chickenshit rules either.  The mag capacity limit and not being able to dump partially empty mags on the ground are the main two.

my biggest gripe about IDPA is how they want you to engage targets from left to right, one shot at a time.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Any and ALL of the 2/3 gun matches here in the PHOENIX area!  Mostly the RIO SALADO matches lately!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:16:26 AM EDT
[#24]
I recently started shooting IDPA. The club that I'm shooting with also holds quarterly 3 gun matches, and I plan on participating in those as well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Practical Rifle once a month. All I have time for right now!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I Love USPSA  IPSC

my biggest gripe about IDPA is how they want you to engage targets from left to right, one shot at a time.  

left to right only...WTF?!  we shoot tactical order, but obviously that depends on which side you're slicing the pie from.  haven't heard of this in IDPA (left to right that is)

makes more sense than tactical reloads...which our R.O. did away with, seeing as how it's doubtful that anyone is not going to shoot to slidelock (us civvies anyway).
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#27]
SPEED STEEL (Steel Challenge)

Cheers
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
SPEED STEEL (Steel Challenge)

Cheers

I need to make one of those.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

That's not the way we shoot IDPA.

We DO engage in tactical order / tactical sequence, which all seems very sensible to me.

If all targets are equal distance, yer gonna be dead if you double tap each target as you come to it. "Everyone gets served before ANYONE gets seconds."

Working from near to far, double taps are HIGHLY encouraged.

Far as right to left, that's only if you are behind cover, and  "slicing the pie" from the right hand side of  cover.

I do think the rule against tactical reloads is stupid. If EVER I'm using my pistol in defense, if I survive until the time to reload, I'm dumping any partially empty mag in favor of a topped off mag.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:38:25 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I Love USPSA  IPSC

I always had a hard time with the mag changes. Years of IPSC conditioned me to dump almost empty mags on the ground.
I did like the blind stages,  and the idea of stock guns. I never got into IPSC open class.

What really pissed me off about IDPA was Bill Wilsons attitude when the new rule book came out.
It seemed like he was saying "this is My game, if you don't like it, tuff shit"

I think it's a mistake to not have an elected board of directors,  so the membership can have a say in things.

Outlawing the cheap Kydex Uncle Mikes holster, is an example of a stupid rule that I bet most members would not want to see put in the rule book, but Wilson insisted it stay.

Making 5" revolvers illegal,  but not 5" autos OK, is another dumb idea.

I think if you can conceal a 8" gun, you should be able to use it !

But the last straw was when i read about Taran Butler getting a DQ at the Nationals after He went home.

The MD and RO's got together, after the match,  and decided to DQ him for unsportsman like conduct.

During the match, he had only got one procedural.

I think it's bullshit to DQ someone without giving them a chance to defend themselves.

If you're gonna DQ me,  do it to My face !

You can read about it on Brian enos forum...

www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27922&st=0
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#31]
I voted, but I also shoot these:

Smallbore Rifle Silhouette
Bianchi Cup aka NRA Action Pistol <------Twice a year
Steel Challenge
Pin Shoots
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#32]
None at the moment, but I want to to shoot Rifle and Pistol Metallic Silhouette. Having trouble finding places that hold these matches.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:15:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#36]
April to September I shoot 6mm PPC  Benchrest nationally under auspices of the IBS.
November to April I shoot 3-position  22 cal indoors with a team in Coxsackie, NY. against  teams in Albany and Schenectady, NY.

Since I just got a beautiful 1944 Springfield Garand, I'm thinking about getting into some new competitions.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Olympic pistol.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
But the last straw was when i read about Taran Butler getting a DQ at the Nationals after He went home.

The MD and RO's got together, after the match,  and decided to DQ him for unsportsman like conduct.

I think it's bullshit to DQ someone without giving them a chance to defend themselves.

John M., the Match director, wanted to talk to Mr. Butler about the situation after he shot but could not find him because he had already left. He left several messages for Mr. Butler and did not recieve a call back.

John would've DQed him to his face if he hadn't left before he had the opportunity to.

Taran says He stuck around after He was done, and He saw John May after the match, stopped him and said he was sorry for the mistake.

John May waited till Taran was back in CA. before he called and DQ'ed him. You can read about this at the end of the thread on Brian Eno's forum,  I posted the link above.
It's written By Taran Butler himself.

When a shooter gets a procedural or DQ, it should be on the spot. Not after the match.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:01:03 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

John M., the Match director, wanted to talk to Mr. Butler about the situation after he shot but could not find him because he had already left. He left several messages for Mr. Butler and did not recieve a call back.

John would've DQed him to his face if he hadn't left before he had the opportunity to.

If Taran was doing things that were so wrong during the match, why wasn't he penalized on each stage with a procedural? If what he was doing was bad enough to be DQ'ed, it should have been done during the match.

The mere fact that you can be Disqualified, after the match without your side of the story being heard, is crazy.

Have you ever heard the phrase "inmates running the asylum"?

Well that didn't work for IPSC. They have drifted so far from their original intent to be practical. It is now just "golf" with guns.

For the record I have nothing against IPSC /USPSA it is just not my thing.

Actually, it seems to be working just fine. Give the people what they want.

BTW IDPA is open to suggestions from the membership as long as those suggestions meet with the original intent and spirit of IDPA.

As long as you want what Bill wants, it's fine.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but IDPA and the way it's run just isn't my thing.

++++++++++++++

Can you tell I shoot USPSA/IPSC and hardly any IDPA?

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Skeet Shooting.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:32:57 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

If Taran was doing things that were so wrong during the match, why wasn't he penalized on each stage with a procedural? If what he was doing was bad enough to be DQ'ed, it should have been done during the match.

The mere fact that you can be Disqualified, after the match without your side of the story being heard, is crazy.

+ 1000

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:43:15 PM EDT
[#43]
slacked a bit last year b/c of new job..  

but usually
Highpower 2 or 3 matches a year (Service Rifle)
Smallbore 1 or 2 matches a year (3200 matches sometimes just 1 day (1600))
Black Powder 1 or 2 matches a year (offhand 25 and 50yd targets, various types.. I want to try over the log next)
If I have a free weekend, I have shot a few IHMSA matches as well
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#44]
i shoot furry things like rabbits and coyotes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By texastactical

Well that didn't work for IPSC. They have drifted so far from their original intent to be practical. It is now just "golf" with guns.

BTW IDPA is open to suggestions from the membership as long as those suggestions meet with the original intent and spirit of IDPA.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but IDPA and the way it's run just isn't my thing.

++++++++++++++

There is nothing pratical about USPSA/IPSC anymore. And their use of DVC isn't what Jeff Cooper meant when he invented it. The problems with IPSC started with comped .38 super race guns and the Gamers who used them. When IDPA came out it wasn't to bad but the Gamers are taking it over too. Same thing with the "pink tink" cowboy shooters.  At least DVC still works in steel matches.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By texastactical

++++++++++++++

There is nothing pratical about USPSA/IPSC anymore. And their use of DVC isn't what Jeff Cooper meant when he invented it. The problems with IPSC started with comped .38 super race guns and the Gamers who used them. When IDPA came out it wasn't to bad but the Gamers are taking it over too. Same thing with the "pink tink" cowboy shooters.  At least DVC still works in steel matches.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Skeet
IDPA
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Skeet
IDPA
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Skeet
IDPA
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top