Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/11/2006 7:41:36 PM EDT
Every commercial I see has Hip-Hop in it.

Whatever happened to .38 Special, Rossington-Collins, Molly Hatchet?

What happened to Maiden, Megadeth, Deep Purple?

Where are the icons of my youth?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Today's music sucks ass.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:43:51 PM EDT
[#2]
My girlfriends daughters babysit the singers kids.

www.ramblergang.com/

Spread the word, get em noticed. Southern Rock can come back.

Sample some songs here.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/rambler
Whiskey Drinkin Eyes, great song.

ETA the money they raise goes to mostly charities.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#3]
SOuthern Rock became too un-pc
Heavy Metal went down the tubes with the creation of guitar synth boards. People can't play like they used to. Now it's just crank the dig delay and distortion and your a star.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Replaced with talentless, cookie-cutter pop-machine manufactured Mallrat moneygrubbing gangsta scumbag bling blinging image is bigger than talent shit.

Yep I said it: Crip-Hop is PURE SHIT. Stinking, steaming fresh from the ass,wet  corn infested, peanut containing SHIT.

And the RIAA wonders why sales are going to hell: Because the crap you put out sucks., and there are only so many 13 year old teenies that will buy CD's full of one turd after another.

Rant off.

SG
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't blame Bush

Blame Nirvana.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Metal died when people forgot how to play guitar and have no talent to belt out a solo.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree with you in principle, but your examples leave a little to be desired.

.38 special - while a southern band - doesn't really seem like "southern rock" by anyone's standard. As for Molly Hatchet, one of the surviving members of Lynyrd Skynyrd (I can't recall who) said it best "Southern Rock died the day Molly Hatchet's first album was released".
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Like the rest of us, they got old too.

But .38 Special will be playing at the Garfield County fair in Aug. I'll be there. But I'll bet they're a ghost of what they used to be.

Molly Hatchet stopped by last summer the same week Country Jam was happening and nobody showed. But without Danny Joe Brown singing they just don't have the same appeal.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I can remember seeing the Outlaws in, IIRC, 78 and the St Paul Civic Center. They came to town just a few months ago and I got to sit 20 feet from the stage and watch them play Green Grass and High Tides. I hate to say it, but at my age it WAS better than sex! My friend brought his teen-age son who grew up listening to the 90's crap and he was completely blown away! He had no idea what a guitar could really do. Where have all the good musicians gone?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you all even know what you're talking about?

I agree there is a lot of mainstream CRAP out there, but there is a heck of a lot of metal and southern rock out there that is really good.

I see a lot of commercials going with generic nu-metal riffs these days. The new Victoria Secret commercial? That Navy commercial they have had for years, plus a lot of others, so thats not all rap.

There is awesome music out there, but its no longer delivered to your local Best Buy and FYE.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#11]

What happened to metal?

Metal moved to Gothenburg, Sweden.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#12]
It died with Dime.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#13]
sucka free music is all the rave you cracka
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Michael Ammott and Devin Townsend are saving metal.  And I'm pretty sure they're, "sucka free".
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It died with Dime.

www.headbanger.hu/be/htdocs/updir/DimebagDarrell_RIP.jpg

While the murder of Dime was a tragedy, it didn't stop metal.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Don't blame Bush

Blame Nirvana.

+1

Grunge killed all of it's predecessors and combined all rock under the umbrella of alternative.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Today's music sucks ass.

correction:  the music of the 80's and early 90's sucked ass.  the exception is rock - but not much of it.  that 10-15 year period was a very dark time for music

i love today's metal...  i said metal, not rock.  there's a lot of talent out there and a lot of excellent bands.  most of the mainstream stuff is total shit; devoid of all talent, and just there to create maximum revenue for the recording industry.  i don't like older rock very much, but i do have an appriciation for it as it paved the way for the music that i listen to today.

and as far as rap goes...  almost all of it is shit.  it's unoriginal.  these "artists"(and i use that term loosely) just copy the same trash made by other rap stars, and shit out a product that's ten times worse.  with that said, there is some great rap too...  but it's far and few in between.  i listen to rap, but i'm very selective.  i refuse to listen to any of the garbage that's played on the radio.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't blame Bush

Blame Nirvana.

+1

Grunge killed all of it's predecessors and combined all rock under the umbrella of alternative.

Wrong, Grunge did not kill metal, metal is still very much alive. Real metal is as popular as it ever was, I think yall are confusing metal with bands like Motley Crue, and the likes. Metal is 10X as large as it ever was, especially overseas,its a lifestyle there.  I have always considered it a blessing that real metal never got that popular here in the states. I dont want every jerkoff I see wearing a metal shirt, and I damn sure dont want to hear it on the weekly top 40. All the best true metal bands in the last 20 years are all european, American Metal cannot hold a candle to whats been going on overseas in the last 15 or so years. As for domestic metal, it depends how far you want to take it, there are numerous metal bands, from every genre of metal, still pumping out solid albums. Check out Black Label Society, Brand New Sin, Fireball Minestry if you are serious about getting some real southern rock/metal.

I can answer ALL metal related questions, so bring em on.

And if you have to ask who that is in my avatar, well, thank you for stopping by, nothing to see here, move along.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:08:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't blame Bush

Blame Nirvana.

+1

By the way, I liked your song list in that other post. You rock. Literally!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't blame Bush

Blame Nirvana.

+1

I don't know, most radio friendly metal had already discovered how to suck its own dick before Nirvana and grunge came around.  In fact, I think there Nirvana and the other so called grunge bands like Alice in Chains, Sound Garden, etc., were more metal than some of the candy ass metal bands of the late 80s.  

Metal and Southern rock is alive and well. If you really want to hear it then you have to go online and listen to specialized stations or go to clubs.  

I live in Savannah Geogia and I'm the weird old guy who hangs out at the bar or in the back of the rock clubs (i.e., the Jinx formerly known as the Velvet Elvis). I'm impressed with the Metal and/or Southern music the kids are putting out.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Every commercial I see has Hip-Hop in it. hatever

Where are the icons of my youth? hr

Dude, you need satellite radio.

Anything you want to hear, any time of the day, all day.

Trey

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I think there Nirvana and the other so called grunge bands like Alice in Chains, Sound Garden, etc., were more metal than some of the candy ass metal bands of the late 80s.

I agree.

Hair Metal was metal in name only.  A cheap pretender.

Just like Alice in Chains, and Soundgarden were grouped into grunge, there were some really solid bands that while hair metal, still produced some awesome albums, such as Dokken, Cinderella, and dare I say Queensryche, while considered to be progressive metal, the did take on the big hair look for a few years.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:17:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Trey

I'm a Sirius subscriber, and I'm a salesman, so I'm in the car most of the day. I'm not complaining about the lack of availability of old metal or southern rock, I'm complaining about the lack of availability of NEW metal or southern rock.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't blame Bush

Blame Nirvana.

+1

Wrong, Grunge did not kill metal, metal is still very much alive. Real metal is as popular as it ever was, I think yall are confusing metal with bands like Motley Crue, and the likes. Metal is 10X as large as it ever was, especially overseas,its a lifestyle there.  I have always considered it a blessing that real metal never got that popular here in the states. I dont want every jerkoff I see wearing a metal shirt, and I damn sure dont want to hear it on the weekly top 40. All the best true metal bands in the last 20 years are all european, American Metal cannot hold a candle to whats been going on overseas in the last 15 or so years. As for domestic metal, it depends how far you want to take it, there are numerous metal bands, from every genre of metal, still pumping out solid albums. Check out Black Label Society, Brand New Sin, Fireball Minestry if you are serious about getting some real southern rock/metal.

And if you have to ask who that is in my avatar, well, thank you for stopping by, nothing to see here, move along.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't blame Bush

Blame Nirvana.

+1

I have a BLack label society tour shirt you guys would bust a nut over, the front says BLS in large white letters, and the "L" it a upright 1911, on the back, it has a large celtic style cross, with a skull on the top, and 2 Thompsons crossing over the cross.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't blame Bush

Blame Nirvana.

+1

I have a BLack label society tour shirt you guys would bust a nut over, the front says BLS in large white letters, and the "L" it a upright 1911, on the back, it has a large celtic style cross, with a skull on the top, and 2 Thompsons crossing over the cross.

tyman
camp victory, iraq

Pls send asap, k thx bai.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think there Nirvana and the other so called grunge bands like Alice in Chains, Sound Garden, etc., were more metal than some of the candy ass metal bands of the late 80s.

I agree.

Hair Metal was metal in name only.  A cheap pretender.

Just like Alice in Chains, and Soundgarden were grouped into grunge, there were some really solid bands that while hair metal, still produced some awesome albums, such as Dokken, Cinderella, and dare I say Queensryche, while considered to be progressive metal, the did take on the big hair look for a few years.

Dokken! Queensryche! THAT'S what I'm talking about! Dream Theatre! Where's all the fun talent? Sounds from the responses I'm getting that Europe is the home of metal, and if you read up on Molly Hatchet's site, you will find out that they ended up recording many of their albums in Germany, where they were really popular in the 1990s.

Here, in the sunny shithole of Aurora, CO, I get Urban Males, whiggers, skinheads, and various other loser thug-wannabes in dented 1993 Sentras with steamroller tires, all with mind-numbing Crap-Hop-shit coming out of the windows vibrating their license plate holders.

Everything SUCKS. Makes KOKO MAD. KOKO SMASH!!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't blame Bush

Blame Nirvana.

+1

our internet sucks
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:27:46 PM EDT
[#31]
What are you listening to right now?

"Angry Again" by Megadeth.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:28:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:30:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Smashing the speakers with some live DIO performances as we type.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#34]
OH Yeah!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Michael Ammott and Devin Townsend are saving metal.  And I'm pretty sure they're, "sucka free".

Did not post right the first time but you get the picture.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Some good examples of today's (signed) metal bands, some are rather hardcore influenced...

Lamb Of God
Trivium
God Forbid
Chimaira
In Flames
Scarlet
Full Blown Chaos
and many more

Also, check out the new Remembering Never cd, it's awesome.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Trey

I'm listening to XM Liquid Metal online right now. No sports,news talk,just music and a few comedy channels. For $7.99 a month,I might buy it when the free trials over. The uncensored comedy channels almost worth the price.
XMRadio-online
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:01:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Queensryche

Karaoke ]..

About an hour ago I butchered it......
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:05:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Smashing the speakers with some live DIO performances as we type.

Oh, Ronnie James... How's he doin' lately?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Some good examples of today's (signed) metal bands, some are rather hardcore influenced...

Lamb Of God
Trivium
God Forbid
Chimaira
In Flames
Scarlet
Full Blown Chaos
and many more

Not a bad lineup, I am partial to, but not limited to:
First and foremost OPETH!!!!!!---No contest, no other metal band can even hold a candle to these guys
Immortal, Candlemass, Paradise Lost, My dying bride, King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, Machinehead,
Vadar, Nevermore, Manowar, Queensryche, Dream Theatre, Death, Blind Guardian, Bloodbath, Stratavarious, Fates Warning, Manilla Road, Testament, Annihilator, Exodus, The Haunted, Moonspell, Anthrax, Dark Tranqulity, Iron Maiden, Red Harvest, Minestry, Iced Earth, Slayer, Overkill, TOOL, Helloween, Hammerfall, Amorphis, The Gathering, Sepeltura, Pantera, Therion, Celtic Frost, Type O Negative, Tiamat, Savatage, Alice in Chains, Metal Church, Voivod, Raven, Venom, Bathory, Legend, Rage, Trouble, Havoc, Watchtower, Mekong Delta,

Sheesh, I could go on and on, my Metal taste are on the darker, heavier side as you can see. Id be willing to bet I have over 5k wrapped up in metal CDs, not to mention all the obsolete tapes I still have. Anyone else on the more extreme end of the metal spectrum with me?

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#41]
we don't want to offend the black population.... so we HAVE TO use a black artist in everything these days.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:25:38 PM EDT
[#42]
we need more southern rock around    [><]

modern metal and hardcore died when pantera left the scene...the old stuff like maiden slayer and ac/dc has become classic and will never be able to be duplicated with todays "musicians and musical talent"

music has died it seems

except for texas country

a good southern rock band yall should check out is Down...their first cd NOLA
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lamb Of God
Trivium
God Forbid
Chimaira
In Flames
Scarlet
Full Blown Chaos
and many more

Not a bad lineup, I am partial to, but not limited to:
First and foremost OPETH!!!!!!---No contest, no other metal band can even hold a candle to these guys
Immortal, Candlemass, Paradise Lost, My dying bride, King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, Machinehead,
Vadar, Nevermore, Manowar, Queensryche, Dream Theatre, Death, Blind Guardian, Bloodbath, Stratavarious, Fates Warning, Manilla Road, Testament, Annihilator, Exodus, The Haunted, Moonspell, Anthrax, Dark Tranqulity, Iron Maiden, Red Harvest, Minestry, Iced Earth, Slayer, Overkill, TOOL, Helloween, Hammerfall, Amorphis, The Gathering, Sepeltura, Pantera, Therion, Celtic Frost, Type O Negative, Tiamat, Savatage, Alice in Chains, Metal Church, Voivod, Raven, Venom, Bathory, Legend, Rage, Trouble, Havoc, Watchtower, Mekong Delta,

Sheesh, I could go on and on, my Metal taste are on the darker, heavier side as you can see. Id be willing to bet I have over 5k wrapped up in metal CDs, not to mention all the obsolete tapes I still have. Anyone else on the more extreme end of the metal spectrum with me?

I am a big fan of Manowar, Pantera (who isn't), Sepultura, Metal Church, Type O Negative, etc. I like anything thats heavy basically. I was just naming off some of the newer bands I could think of, but I obviously am more into the hardcore part of metal.

Question, what are your thoughts on Gwar?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:27:25 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
It died with Dime.

www.headbanger.hu/be/htdocs/updir/DimebagDarrell_RIP.jpg

i just posted before rolling thru this thread, and i have to agree whole heartedly with that statement

RIP Dimebag

Pantera owned
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:30:26 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

modern metal and hardcore died when pantera left the scene...the old stuff like maiden slayer and ac/dc has become classic and will never be able to be duplicated with todays "musicians and musical talent"

music has died it seems

except for texas country

Southern rock?

Seemless
Clutch
Down
Corrosion Of Conformity
and well, Crowbar, members of other southern rock bands

They're out there, go listen.

Also, AC/DC, not metal or hardcore.

Pantera was NOT the end of modern metal and hardcore, Pantera was the BEGINNING, Dime invented the breakdown, a basic element of hardcore (even hardcore-punk these days!)

You might not like anything after Pantera, or Slayer, but that's what modern metal and hardcore is.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:32:01 PM EDT
[#46]

I am a big fan of Manowar, Pantera (who isn't), Sepultura, Metal Church, Type O Negative, etc. I like anything thats heavy basically. I was just naming off some of the newer bands I could think of, but I obviously am more into the hardcore part of metal.

While they are considered to be an extreme novilty act to some, they are very tallented, put on one hell of a show with thier sci-fi/horror themes. They are a solid band, not really my style of metal, but I just cant get into them like the darker bands. They have 1 really awesome song, The Road Behind, which im sure you are familiar with if you are a fan.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Metal sucks now, no doubt about it.  Even the best of the new stuff can't hold a candle to the good old stuff.  Take Lamb of God.  I was just at the record store tonight and had one of their discs in my hand based on a good recommendation.  I went to the listening station just before I went to the checkout line and lo and behold, it sucked.  It sounded like Papa Roach and all the ten million other hip-hop meets very-simple-metal BS I've seen come out for the last ten years.  This was supposed to be great stuff.

Same with High On Fire.  Unlistenable after the second song.  Electric Wizard has it pinned on 11 the whole time, so it just kind of drones on.  I dunno, the kids are not doing it for me anymore.

Let's back up a little bit and look at three killer hard rock/metal/punk bands from Back in the Day.

1.  The Jesus Lizard.  If you've never seen 'em live, you missed out.  Craziest show I've ever seen, and I've seen 'em all.  Kick ass rock and roll with a style all their own.  Really good stuff.  They have two discs I'd recommend to anyone.  First is Liar, second is Head/Pure.  Both are great, both are short, both have great songs with great hooks and awesome mysterious lyrics.  Very dark and angry and violent, and still fun.

2.  Prong.  If you ever watched Headbanger's Ball back in the day, the intro music was from Prong.  They're kind of patchy, every album had a great hit on it and also some dreck.  When they hit, it's over the fence, but keep that FFWD button in sight 'cause you never know.  Great live show too.  They never seemed to catch on... I don't know why.

3.  I can't do it.  I can't do just three.  There's so many.  Metallica.  Megadeth.  Iron Maiden.  Black Sabbath.  The Dead Kennedys.  The Melvins, the Misfits, Ministry, Sepultura, Slayer, Sleep, Stabbing Westward, The Cult, Tool, Unida, Venom, AC/DC, Alice in Chains, Big Black, Billy Squier, Blood Circus, Cannibal Corpse, Circus of Power, Cop Shoot Cop, COC, Def Leppard, Down, The Dwarves, Filter, Hank Williams (he's so punk rock don't even get me started), Helmet, Killing Joke.... it just goes on and on and on.

What do we have now.  Crossfade, I suppose, and maybe Velvet Revolver.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:33:06 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

music has died it seems

except for texas country

Southern rock?

Seemless
Clutch
Down
Corrosion Of Conformity
and well, Crowbar, members of other southern rock bands

They're out there, go listen.

Also, AC/DC, not metal or hardcore.

Pantera was NOT the end of modern metal and hardcore, Pantera was the BEGINNING, Dime invented the breakdown, a basic element of hardcore (even hardcore-punk these days!)

You might not like anything after Pantera, or Slayer, but that's what modern metal and hardcore is.

I would call those bands southern metal, most of those are part of the NOLA crew, such as Crowbar, DOWN, Acid Bath, Goatwhore, ect. Excellent choices.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:38:05 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
What do we have now.  Crossfade, I suppose, and maybe Velvet Revolver.

Noooooooooooooooo, please keep this thread METAL
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

While they are considered to be an extreme novilty act to some, they are very tallented, put on one hell of a show with thier sci-fi/horror themes. They are a solid band, not really my style of metal, but I just cant get into them like the darker bands. They have 1 really awesome song, The Road Behind, which im sure you are familiar with if you are a fan.

Ah, excellent. I like to ask people that like metal what they think of Gwar, sometimes it gives a good insight into how much they know about music (some laugh and call them a gimmick band, which although its true, they are extememly talented). I've seen them live 3 times, and the last time I spent the entire time covered in fake blood that they shot out over everyone, it was awesome. I have total respect for anyone that can play metal in giant foam rubber suits, and their live album, Live From Mt Fuji, was just nuts, and entirely offensive and vulgar.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top