Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2013 4:53:43 PM EDT
Other than "asshole?"

It was yellow and about half as big when I got it. Now it changes from the coloration you see to a deeper ugly blue.

And it's a jerk. Thinks it owns the rock pile. I put a fake tree stump in there to protect some fry from it, but seems I'll have to block the openings in it with more than just sand. Or just get rid of jerk fish or put it in its own tank.

Click for larger image:

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Eat it
Problem solved
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Eat it
Problem solved
View Quote

Maybe I should feed it to my cat.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a gourami. Good job finding it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#4]
African
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Tilapia
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
African
View Quote

Yep, one of about a zillion species, all of which I have forgotten.  But it is one of the most common ones.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#7]
He's not being a jerk, he's being a Cichlid.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#8]
My guess would be a Lake Malawi cichlid.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Those ones with stripes on their head like that are always assholes.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Its a shitty common hybrid zebra which is why it has shitty color and not more pronounced blue. Based on its "egg" spot in the fin and the black highlights on all fins its most likely a male so it will be territorial.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:31:37 PM EDT
[#11]
My cichlids would tear guppies to shreds. They were awesome.
I moved out of my parents house years ago and left my tank behind with maybe ten cichlids and a couple catfish in a ~40 gal.
Figured they'd be fine, my parents would at least keep the filter plugged in and maybe feed them every now and then. Nope.
I go back home a few months later and almost all the water has evaporated, it's brown and crusty like a sewer pipe.
There were at least 5 cichlids still alive and well. Like 3 months without any help from a human.
I started a new tank with those guys and they flourished. Had hundreds of babies, and I would sell them to the pet store.
Wound up giving it all away. I should start another tank one day.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I've never had any luck doing the communal cichlid tank. I would invariably get fish that would beat each other to death.

I will keep a single oscar and it gets the run of the tank.

I currently have a red named Rose, who is frikkin' huge, but she's being dwarfed by two plecos that have outlived a couple of big oscars.

Bad pic, lotta glare on dirty glass. But it's the most recent I have online . . .

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:52:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Its a shitty common hybrid zebra which is why it has shitty color and not more pronounced blue. Based on its "egg" spot in the fin and the black highlights on all fins its most likely a male so it will be territorial.
View Quote

Yep.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've never had any luck doing the communal cichlid tank. I would invariably get fish that would beat each other to death.

I currently have a red named Rose, who is frikkin' huge, but she's being dwarfed by two plecos that have outlived a couple of big oscars.

Bad pic, lotta glare on dirty glass. But it's the most recent I have online . . .

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t1/1454907_10201587691106952_883009418_n.jpg
View Quote

I'm surprised it doesn't attack em. I had two little oscars once they were by far the bravest little fish on the planet. One actually jumped out of the tank and tried to bite a person who opened the lid to look down at it. I'm not good at keeping fish though apparently, they both died within about a year not before they tore just the head off a smaller fish of a different species, killed both of the large snails, and then one beat the other to death when it got sick, and showed signs of weakness .

Oh and pretty fish.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

Not all of them, some are not jerk fishes at all there is the ....

Never mind.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm surprised it doesn't attack em. I had two little oscars once they were by far the bravest little fish on the planet. One actually jumped out of the tank and tried to bite a person who opened the lid to look down at it. I'm not good at keeping fish though apparently, they both died within about a year not before they tore just the head off a smaller fish of a different species, killed both of the large snails, and then one beat the other to death when it got sick, and showed signs of weakness .

Oh and pretty fish.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t1/1454907_10201587691106952_883009418_n.jpg

Oh and pretty fish.

Oscars get raped by almost any other South American cichlid, even ones 1/3 their size. The wild caught Oscars are assholes but the domesticated ones that you can get in any color and shape are pussies they just want food all day errday that's why they jump out of the tank, they are pigs
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Oscars get raped by almost any other South American cichlid, even ones 1/3 their size. The wild caught Oscars are assholes but the domesticated ones that you can get in any color and shape are pussies they just want food all day errday that's why they jump out of the tank, they are pigs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh and pretty fish.

Hmm that might explain it too. They did get excited when they saw me because I fed them. They also bit a few drunken friends who put their hands in, and didn't believe the lil fishies would . One got sick shortly after the jumping out hitting the guys face, then landing on the kitchen floor incident . Seemed like a pretty cool, smart type of fish though. The one that lasted the longest didn't like the plastic plants being rooted in the bottom and would pull up the rocks till it floated off. It would also play dead for about a week after I would remove it from its tank to clean said tank which was hilarious. Swim swim swim doing normal stuff, spot me get still roll on its side and sink to the bottom, out of sight swim swim swim, rinse repeat.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#19]
you never remove fish from the tank to clean a tank, you only take out about 25 to 50% of the water MAX or else you disturb the bacteria and you start the cycle all over again like setting up a new tank. he was really stressed out when he was on his side like that "playing dead". They are really smart...for a fish
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't even know how to pronounce "Cichlid".

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sicklid
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#22]
pronounced "sick lid"

there are some beautiful cichlids out there and they can be a challenge sometimes to raise.  they have a lot of personality though.  best to keep the tank full of them, you have less fighting with more fish.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Sicklid
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sicklid

Fuck.  I was going to go with "Chick-lid".

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:29:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
you never remove fish from the tank to clean a tank, you only take out about 25 to 50% of the water MAX or else you disturb the bacteria and you start the cycle all over again like setting up a new tank. he was really stressed out when he was on his side like that "playing dead". They are really smart...for a fish
View Quote

Doh . I guess if I try it again some day I'll do more research than huh Super Walmart has tanks and fish impulse buy.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yep.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

It's a rusty cichlid (Iodotropheus sprengerae).  I've had a few.  All Mbuna are pricks if they're at the top.

Sorry, wrong fish.  The other one, with multiple pictures , is probably a saulosi.  They start out yellow and the males mature to a beautiful blue/black that looks like a demasoni, except the saulosi get much larger.

This is by far the meanest African cichlid.
Melanochromis Chipokae

It ended up being the only one left in my tank at one point.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
Bingo. I had a over agressive fish beating on one smaller blue fish. I traded him in on a different fish. Blue victim fish then killed new fish. They are all assholes. Might was well be cats.....

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Looks like it could be a Jack Dempsey.

You want mean?  I had a 12" jaguar cichlid that would kill ANYTHING I put in the tank.  Channel cats, crawfish, mice, lizards, frogs, plecos...

And the jaguar cichlid have TEETH.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Oh and pretty fish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh and pretty fish.
my large oscar has jumped out of the water and bit me ( once on the nose ) several times. I routinely "punch" him with my finger when I am in the tank lol.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Your other cichlids are jerks as well, they're just not as big...
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#30]
My guess is a zebra crossed with a demasoni.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#31]

A species of Turdrasla
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

It's a Pseudotropheus MBuna hybrid.
Tough fish to keep in a small tank. They are EXCEPTIONALLY territorial. I wouldn't think about keeping them in any tank under 100 gallons and they should be in a nearly emty tank with LOTS of other fish. The more.rocks the more territories.Over crowding is about the only way to keep them.  
They will kill and eat each other.without fail. They will never be peaceful. They are gorgeous when they are young but the colors fade and they get ugly as they get older.

I've raised many Afrcian Cichlids but I completely gave up on Pseudos not worth the time at all.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:46:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
my large oscar has jumped out of the water and bit me ( once on the nose ) several times. I routinely "punch" him with my finger when I am in the tank lol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh and pretty fish.

Rose is not much of a jumper or biter. She's about the most mellow Oscar I've kept.
She loves being hand-fed, bug she will get into moods where she doesn't want to be touched otherwise.

The worst was Millie, she would bite you if she could, and splash you if she couldn't. And you had to make sure the lids were down and secured. She would knock them open.
But she was a great fish, loved interaction of any kind.

The plecos are pretty unflappable. Harlow is 14" long and Allie is 13".

Rose is about 9½". She picks at them, for all the good it does.
But it's not like she's deliberately trying to hurt them anyway, just harass them.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:52:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
African
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top