Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/19/2017 6:09:39 PM EDT
The opponents of the SHARE Act and HPA were pretty brazen to bring this guy in as their "expert witness".

Retired ATF SAC/ASAC David Chipman, failed to mention some important details that are relevant to this case.

Served this nation for over 25 years in support of ATF's mission to combat violent crime. Led North American Sales for ShotSpotter.com during period of explosive growth while demonstrating the true nature of gun violence. Dedicated to developing, implementing and evaluating firearms violence reduction strategies aimed at making neighborhoods safe.
View Quote
Market Watch:  5 things to know about gunshot detection company

The money

ShotSpotter recorded revenue of $15.5 million in 2016, up from $11.8 million in 2015. This was on top of net losses of $6.86 million in 2016, slightly wider than a net loss of $6.19 million in 2015.

Almost all of its revenue comes from contracts with local governments and related agencies. The company’s customers pay for the service on an annual subscription basis.

The company said it expects to increase its costs in the near future, spending on sales and marketing, expanding internationally and conducting research and development. It plans to use about $13.6 million of its proceeds from the offering to pay off outstanding debt.

ShotSpotter has been capital backed by investors including City Light Capital, Claremont Creek Ventures and Labrador Ventures. Motorola Solutions Inc. is also an investor.
View Quote
So the company is losing millions every year, but is being kept afloat with government contracts, which it plans to increase the fees for.  Some cities don't even have their sensors active because they can't afford the continued service, and this is detailed on ShotSpotter's website.

They have scrubbed and updated their FAQ regarding questions about suppressor use.  It used to read:

16. What about silencers?
While high-quality silencers (also known as "muzzle blast suppressors") do have the ability to defeat ShotSpotter, the reality is, they are very rare and are illegal nationwide. Thus, while owning a licensed gun is not illegal, and carrying it usually is not (depending on jurisdiction), having in one’s possession a silencer is virtually guaranteed to lead to criminal prosecution. Moreover, silencers are both exceedingly difficult to find and have a negative impact on the accuracy and range of gunfire. Perhaps this is why less than 1% of all crimes in which guns are fired involve silencers, according to the FBI.
View Quote
How many things can you find wrong with that paragraph...

It was then changed to:

16. Does ShotSpotter detect gunshots from gun silencers?
In regard to gun silencers it is more accurate to call them suppressors as they suppress the impulsive sound of gunfire not wholly eliminate it.
We have successfully if not inadvertently detected confirmed suppressed gunfire within our existing deployments. Although we have not formally tested the theoretical impact to our system we intend to do some targeted testing in the near future. We believe we will have various options ranging from increasing our sensor array density to developing software/firmware to address the detection of suppressed gunfire if it were to become a widespread issue.
View Quote

September 12, 2017
My name is David Chipman and I currently serve as a Senior Policy Advisor for Americans for Responsible Solutions, the gun violence prevention organization founded by former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and retired U.S. Navy Captain and astronaut Mark Kelly. For the purposes of today’s testimony, I will rely heavily on my experiences during my 25-year career as a Special Agent of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) serving the Departments of Justice and Treasury.
View Quote
I guess he just forgot to mention that he's also the lead sales rep for ShotSpotter during its term of explosive growth.

LinkedIn

What's interesting is that the ACLU is very concerned about ShotSpotter because it has been used to record conversations when sensors are tripped. The CEO of ShotSpotter said if you're worried about his sensors, then you should also turn off your cell because it has a better microphone.

ACLU Concerns on ShotSpotter

Second, if a microphone were stationed outside my house, I don’t think I would love that, no matter how many assurances I was given. Clark’s answer to that was,

If you’re really worried about that, what about your cellphone? If you’re worried about NSA boogeymen, they’re not going to be using our sensors, they’ll be using your phone. It’s in your pocket and has a better microphone.
View Quote
I contacted many Congressional offices already to notify them of this today, including the sponsor's, Jeff Duncan.  They were surprised to hear about David Chipman's financial connections and natural opposition to this bill, which seems to be based more on his relationship with ShotSpotter.  I'm sure the opposing members will have a fun time explaining to the ACLU why they are siding with money over privacy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that Labradar that makes chronographs?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Good find, but I probably would have guessed that immediately.  Lol
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#3]
As always, follow the money.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The opponents of the SHARE Act and HPA were pretty brazen to bring this guy in as their "expert witness".

Retired ATF SAC/ASAC David Chipman, failed to mention some important details that are relevant to this case.

Served this nation for over 25 years in support of ATF's mission to combat violent crime. Led North American Sales for ShotSpotter.com during period of explosive growth while demonstrating the true nature of gun violence. Dedicated to developing, implementing and evaluating firearms violence reduction strategies aimed at making neighborhoods safe.
View Quote
Market Watch:  5 things to know about gunshot detection company

The money

ShotSpotter recorded revenue of $15.5 million in 2016, up from $11.8 million in 2015. This was on top of net losses of $6.86 million in 2016, slightly wider than a net loss of $6.19 million in 2015.

Almost all of its revenue comes from contracts with local governments and related agencies. The company’s customers pay for the service on an annual subscription basis.

The company said it expects to increase its costs in the near future, spending on sales and marketing, expanding internationally and conducting research and development. It plans to use about $13.6 million of its proceeds from the offering to pay off outstanding debt.

ShotSpotter has been capital backed by investors including City Light Capital, Claremont Creek Ventures and Labrador Ventures. Motorola Solutions Inc. is also an investor.
View Quote
So the company is losing millions every year, but is being kept afloat with government contracts, which it plans to increase the fees for.  Some cities don't even have their sensors active because they can't afford the continued service, and this is detailed on ShotSpotter's website.

They have scrubbed and updated their FAQ regarding questions about suppressor use.  It used to read:

16. What about silencers?
While high-quality silencers (also known as "muzzle blast suppressors") do have the ability to defeat ShotSpotter, the reality is, they are very rare and are illegal nationwide. Thus, while owning a licensed gun is not illegal, and carrying it usually is not (depending on jurisdiction), having in one’s possession a silencer is virtually guaranteed to lead to criminal prosecution. Moreover, silencers are both exceedingly difficult to find and have a negative impact on the accuracy and range of gunfire. Perhaps this is why less than 1% of all crimes in which guns are fired involve silencers, according to the FBI.
View Quote
How many things can you find wrong with that paragraph...

It was then changed to:

16. Does ShotSpotter detect gunshots from gun silencers?
In regard to gun silencers it is more accurate to call them suppressors as they suppress the impulsive sound of gunfire not wholly eliminate it.
We have successfully if not inadvertently detected confirmed suppressed gunfire within our existing deployments. Although we have not formally tested the theoretical impact to our system we intend to do some targeted testing in the near future. We believe we will have various options ranging from increasing our sensor array density to developing software/firmware to address the detection of suppressed gunfire if it were to become a widespread issue.
View Quote
http://img.wennermedia.com/480-width/david-chipman-042fd608-b8ce-45f9-a5da-3b0ccbf2ff0f.jpg

September 12, 2017
My name is David Chipman and I currently serve as a Senior Policy Advisor for Americans for Responsible Solutions, the gun violence prevention organization founded by former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and retired U.S. Navy Captain and astronaut Mark Kelly. For the purposes of today’s testimony, I will rely heavily on my experiences during my 25-year career as a Special Agent of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) serving the Departments of Justice and Treasury.
View Quote
I guess he just forgot to mention that he's also the lead sales rep for ShotSpotter during its term of explosive growth.

LinkedIn

What's interesting is that the ACLU is very concerned about ShotSpotter because it has been used to record conversations when sensors are tripped. The CEO of ShotSpotter said if you're worried about his sensors, then you should also turn off your cell because it has a better microphone.

ACLU Concerns on ShotSpotter

Second, if a microphone were stationed outside my house, I don’t think I would love that, no matter how many assurances I was given. Clark’s answer to that was,

If you’re really worried about that, what about your cellphone? If you’re worried about NSA boogeymen, they’re not going to be using our sensors, they’ll be using your phone. It’s in your pocket and has a better microphone.
View Quote
I contacted many Congressional offices already to notify them of this today, including the sponsor's, Jeff Duncan.  They were surprised to hear about David Chipman's financial connections and natural opposition to this bill, which seems to be based more on his relationship with ShotSpotter.  I'm sure the opposing members will have a fun time explaining to the ACLU why they are siding with money over privacy.
View Quote

I think if a microphone was outside my house I would be experimenting w/ what it took to set their system off.  Loud speakers w/ recorded gunshots, propane popping.  Lots of fun experiments w/ a captive microphone.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Bingo!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Solid work! Glad to hear you informed the correct people so hopefully they bring his conflict of interests to light 
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is that Labradar that makes chronographs?
View Quote
Look again. Its Labrador.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I been told they have shot spotter locally, but also told its not helped them catch anybody. what the truth is no idea. Have read about it not working well in other places.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Good info I'll have to call my Reps again. 
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#10]
They have their shitty shotspotter in nearby Wilmington.  Piece of garbage and waste of money.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:39:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Lol wow
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Moreover, silencers are both exceedingly difficult to find and have a negative impact on the accuracy and range of gunfire.
View Quote

Wait! .........What?? 
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They have their shitty shotspotter in nearby Wilmington.  Piece of garbage and waste of money.
View Quote
But muh feelz!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Good job OP.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#15]
imagine that.

Nice work, OP.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So the company is losing millions every year, but is being kept afloat with government contracts, which it plans to increase the fees for.
View Quote

Sounds like the making of a Ponzi scheme
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
They are. I haven't heard one instance of that system being responsible for getting a bad guy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#18]
What. The. Fuck.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Thank's OP.

Always follow the $$$
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Wait! .........What?? 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Moreover, silencers are both exceedingly difficult to find and have a negative impact on the accuracy and range of gunfire.

Wait! .........What?? 
Someone's knowledge of suppressors either comes from the time where they used wipes or Fallout 4. 
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Someone's knowledge of suppressors either comes from the time where they used wipes or Fallout 4. 
View Quote
I was thinking the source got their knowledge from Counter-Strike. LOL. Where balances were put in so a suppressed M4 was less accurate and less lethal than the suppressed version.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Wait! .........What?? 
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wait! .........What?? 
I guess military snipers didn't get that memo
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#24]
So what suppressed round for shotspotter?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Geez. Well this just warms the cockles of my heart. My cockles are burning.

Good post OP, thanks for the info
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Fuck this guy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Good Job!!! Keep up the good fight!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
25 years as an ATF Agent. Based on the agency's track record, I wouldn't consider him an "Expert"...
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:40:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Wait! .........What?? 
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wait! .........What?? 
Too much COD.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:00:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Excellent work OP.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:06:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Solid work as always, OP
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:11:01 PM EDT
[#32]
GOD DAMN!
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I been told they have shot spotter locally, but also told its not helped them catch anybody. what the truth is no idea. Have read about it not working well in other places.
View Quote
There are many municipalities listed on ShotSpotter's website that no longer can afford/discontinued the services because it was cutting into essential functions of local government to be able to pay for the surveillance system monitoring agreement with the company.

I think they update their firmware and provide subscription-based services for the network.

Many cities have not been able to afford it in the long run.

It was the system that helped the DC Police narrow down the location of where Seth Rich was shot.

Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Too much COD.
View Quote
Youd be surprised how many think this is a fact due to stupid video games
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#35]
It was interesting in his testimony how he claimed that he's never seen or needed suppressors in an LE capacity, based on his vast 25 years of experience, including being on a SWAT Team.

Especially for K-9 officer units, suppressors should be mandated by the LE Agency, State, and Federal guidelines for working with animals and protecting their hearing as much as possible, as we don't have hearing protection for dogs, and would negate one of their most important assets when using them (their ears).  The investment that goes into solid working dogs is substantial, and they need all the protection they can get.

When I hear a 25yr career Federal LEO claim he's never needed suppressors, nor has he ever been exposed to them in an LE capacity, I really question the experience level or bias of that officer.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#36]
The fleecing of America.  

This guys scam needs to be revealed.  To everyone.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Call your Democratic Party reps and tell them about the animal abuse of our innocent 4-legged friends, as well as the ACLU's position on ShotSpotter surveillance of your conversations, and to support the SHARE Act of 2017, for the chiltrens and animals.

Also demand to know why the Federal Lands Subcommittee would call on a witness like this who has financial ties to a company who supports destroying the hearing of animals, while spying on our conversations.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yessir like a bee straight back to the bee hive follow the honey
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Called up ASA as well to let them know about it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Wait! .........What?? 
View Quote
That's how it works on Call of Duty....

Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks op.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:30:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Hey he's a professional.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

There are many municipalities listed on ShotSpotter's website that no longer can afford/discontinued the services because it was cutting into essential functions of local government to be able to pay for the surveillance system monitoring agreement with the company.

I think they update their firmware and provide subscription-based services for the network.

Many cities have not been able to afford it in the long run.

It was the system that helped the DC Police narrow down the location of where Seth Rich was shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z7U0OUG4oU
View Quote
Why would they have needed shot spotter to find out where Seth Rich was shot.  Wasn't it where his body was found when the ambulance got there?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#45]
City just south of me has shotspotter. Hasn't been used in some years now since its too pricey to fix all the time last I heard.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Birmingham(Alabama) has stopped responding to alerts unless there's a Dead Body involved.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#47]
And here is how effective the system is.....

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/City-pulls-plug-on-pricey-gunshot-detection-system-11817475.php
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#48]
The Swamp has no bottom.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
I know that Hillsborough has it in certain areas.....
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:53:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Well, isn't HE a douchebag......

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top