[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wait! .........What?? 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Moreover, silencers are both exceedingly difficult to find and have a negative impact on the accuracy and range of gunfire.

Wait! .........What?? 
shhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#2]
wow, that guy is a grade a douche canoe.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Wait! .........What?? 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Moreover, silencers are both exceedingly difficult to find and have a negative impact on the accuracy and range of gunfire.

Wait! .........What?? 
So HPA will actually help save lives because it decreases accuracy. They need to run with that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#4]
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wait! .........What?? 
and yet they want to equip every Marine rifleman with one....

To Save Our Soldier's and Police Officer's Hearing hence the HPA or Hearing Protection Act

The expert is a crook conning the government out of the tax payers money...wonder which politicians he kicks back to?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks OP.  The best rebuttal to a democrat is the truth.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:46:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Swamp has no bottom.
View Quote
You know, when I was stationed in D.C. and was investigating one of the high profile murders that had just happened there no more than a mile from my duty station, when interviewing one of the people closely associated with the first responders who arrived on the scene of the deceased, that very sense of your phrase ominously pervaded my being.

It was one of the darkest feelings I've ever had, learning what I did.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#7]
You can now understand why retired agent and lead salesman for ShotSpotter, David Chipman, had such a sense of doom and gloom regarding suppressors.

It isn't just that he leans to government confiscation and regulation of individual rights WRT to arms and accessories, but more important for him and his company, they would have to invest substantial time, effort, and resources into developing the sensors and software to attenuate to suppressed gunshot signatures.

After the past 2 years of their losses, they launched their IPO in June to help infuse cash.  They lost $6.13 million in 2015, and $6.86 million in 2016.

Understanding those facts helps explain why Chipman had such a bleak and dire outlook on life as it relates to suppressors.

In reality, even the ATF's own senior leadership says they're open to reevaluating inclusion of suppressors on the NFA registry, because they just don't see a lot of issues with them, recommending prosecution only 44 times a year, where only 6 of the defendants on average have a prior felony conviction for some other crime.  That seems to indicate prosecution recommendations for people who have manufactured a suppressor who otherwise are not felonious offenders until they cross the line and make a sound moderator.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You can now understand why retired agent and lead salesmen for ShotSpotter, David Chipman, had such a sense of doom and gloom regarding suppressors.

It isn't just that he leans to government confiscation and regulation of individual rights WRT to arms and accessories, but more important for him and his company, they would have to invest substantial time, effort, and resources into developing the sensors and software to attenuate to suppressed gunshot signatures.

After the past 2 years of their losses, they launched their IPO in June to help infuse cash.  They lost $6.13 million in 2015, and $6.86 million in 2016.

Understanding those facts helps explain why Chipman had such a bleak and dire outlook on life as it relates to suppressors.

In reality, even the ATF's own senior leadership says they're open to reevaluating inclusion of suppressors on the NFA registry, because they just don't see a lot of issues with them, recommending prosecution only 44 times a year, where only 6 of the defendants on average have a prior felony conviction for some other crime.  That seems to indicate prosecution recommendations for people who have manufactured a suppressor who otherwise are not felonious offenders until they cross the line and make a sound moderator.
View Quote
Well, to be perfectly objective about it, putting people in jail for making a suppressor is about as insane as putting people in jail for making a car muffler.

In some ways, we live in Brazil (the movie) and we take it for granted because of how long these dumb laws have been on the books.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:58:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, to be perfectly objective about it, putting people in jail for making a suppressor is about as insane as putting people in jail for making a car muffler.

In some ways, we live in Brazil (the movie) and we take it for granted because of how long these dumb laws have been on the books.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can now understand why retired agent and lead salesmen for ShotSpotter, David Chipman, had such a sense of doom and gloom regarding suppressors.

When I was explaining the issue and history to some of the Congressional aides today, they all seemed to agree these laws are so antiquated, that they at least need some type of review.

Suppressors weren't even discussed or debated on for the 1934, they just got thrown in there for some reason, which seems to have been mitigating poaching, not taking away tools for assassins (ludicrous concept).

The ATF themselves don't give a crap about suppressors, and I think the branch of people who review Form 4 submissions would be happy to dump the workload for Machinegun and DD approvals anyway.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 6:59:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I can attest that a suppressor would have zero impact on causing more or less gun crime.  There is no data to support or discredit anyone attempting to relate crime associated with suppresors.  Much also applies to how often a semi auto rifle being used in crimes.  

Anyone famiiar enough with suppresors and intent to use a firearm equipped with one in a crime wouldn't worry about legally acquiring one today. Furthermore suppresors are legal to posses. It's the NFA that unnecessarily delays and hinders an citizen from acquiring one.  

But his "expert" opinion comes from an agency that conceived Fast and Furious.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 7:08:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 7:09:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I have always told my boys, follow the money and you will find the truth
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 7:09:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I have always told my boys, follow the money and you will find the truth
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 7:32:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When I was explaining the issue and history to some of the Congressional aides today, they all seemed to agree these laws are so antiquated, that they at least need some type of review.
View Quote
Are you visiting DC?
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Great work LRRPF52.  Thank you for what you do.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 8:23:17 AM EDT
[#16]
So in light of this, do you think that HPA still has a chance?
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 8:35:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Wasn't shotspotter used in Iraq as well?
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 8:48:55 AM EDT
[#18]
What a ho.  People will say just about anything if there's enough money on the line.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Great work LRRPF52.  Thank you for what you do.
View Quote
Second. Thank you for fighting the good fight that some of us can't devote the time to.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Are you visiting DC?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you visiting DC?
No, just looked at everyone on some of the key committees and Democrat Reps in key States where we can make a difference.

One important approach to use is to be genuine and be polite with the Congressional aides and staffers.

These people literally wouldn't know what a suppressor is, and most of them are not aware of the merits of the laws, nor do they know how their Reps actually stand on most of their positions unless it's a big issue.

I took the time to explain the history of how suppressors were placed on the NFA, the considerations of the Great Depression, and that suppressors weren't even debated at the time.  I then explain how in my mom's home country where gun laws are very strict, that suppressors aren't even regulated, nor are they regulated in many other nations where you can't even legally own a handgun, but because of reasons that are not even clear to those of us who have studied the issue, we have to submit fingerprint cards and passport photos plus a $200 Federal Stamp Tax fee that was meant to keep guns out of the hands of gangsters in the 1930s, just to put a sound moderator/muffler on the end of our guns so we don't hurt our hunting animals' ears, or go deaf if we have to protect ourselves in our homes during a home invasion.

Several of the Democrat staffers (mostly young women), commented, "That's a really antiquated law."  They were also surprised to learn than David Chipman didn't disclose his financial and employment relationship with ShotSpotter.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 6:17:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Outstanding work LRRPF52. 

Thanks for sharing. 
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:00:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No, just looked at everyone on some of the key committees and Democrat Reps in key States where we can make a difference.
View Quote
This brings up an interesting point (to me).  Some of the democrats are willing to waiver on this issue. When I told my Dad that I was getting one, but I wouldn't have it in time to bring it up for Christmas...his response was "you'd better not bring it up here."  He then sent me the link below and said "disregard my last," lol.  

NH HB500: New Hampshire: Governor Signs Suppressor Legislation
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#23]
San Francisco Chronicle worried
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#24]
It bothers me greatly that the people listening to Mr. Chipman didn`t know enough to tell him to sit down and shut up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It bothers me greatly that the people listening to Mr. Chipman didn`t know enough to tell him to sit down and shut up.
View Quote
They called him in as an expert witness.

Why would they tell him to shut up?

ShotSpotter is on its way into profitability now.  I'm sure the contracts will flow in like wine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 12:40:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I was thinking the source got their knowledge from Counter-Strike. LOL. Where balances were put in so a suppressed M4 was less accurate and less lethal than the suppressed version.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone's knowledge of suppressors either comes from the time where they used wipes or Fallout 4. 
I was thinking the source got their knowledge from Counter-Strike. LOL. Where balances were put in so a suppressed M4 was less accurate and less lethal than the suppressed version.
I don't have a clue what you said, but I vehemently disagree in the strongest manner possible.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#27]
ShotSpotter Soars on Las Vegas and Congressional Change of Heart

Yesterday, in the wake of a horrible tragedy of fire and fury in Las Vegas where a lone gunman killed 58 and wounded 530 people attending a country music concert, SSTI soared 18.3% to a new all-time high.
View Quote
ShotSpotter (SSTI) reignited last week. This week, buyers rushed in and pushed SSTI to a new all-time high with a 18.3% gain on the day.
Note well that the rally in SSTI began before the shooting. More importantly, the big gain yesterday came on breaking news from Congress: House Speaker Paul Ryan (R) announced that he will shelve indefinitely a bill backed by the National Rifle Association (NRA) designed to roll back restrictions on gun silencers. I was not aware of this bill when I wrote about SSTI. The bill’s potential to pass can help explain why the stock had almost no upward momentum. Silencers all but neutralize SSTI’s technology that relies on loud sound profiles to identify the location of a gunshot.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D) provided a quote that could have come from an SSTI press release thanking Congress for its change of heart:
“‘One of the few ways the police had to go after this shooter was they could look for the sound, try to hear the sound of where the guns came from,’ Schumer said on the Senate floor. ‘Thank God our colleagues on the other side of the aisle have pulled back on this bill.'”

This same bill was postponed temporarily back in June after a shooting at a Congressional baseball practice that injured House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R) and others. Scalise just returned to work last week after an extended recovery process.

The short interest in SSTI is only 4.0%, so I highly doubt this rally has much to do with short-covering. Instead, I consider the rally in SSTI as representative of a heightened profile over the need for, and availability of, more effective tools for establishing gun safety and fighting gun-related crime.
More than ever, be careful out there!
Full disclosure: long SSTI
View Quote
I wonder how many Senators and Congressrats invested in SSTI as soon as it went with IPO?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top