Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#1]
What the hell @dk-prof?

it is not fair for staff to hunt over bait.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:14:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Correct they can and will ignore you.

The handful of technical letters I have written to the BATF tech branch over the past 20 years have never been replied to.  Follow up letters asking for status or timeline were never replied to either.

I presume you could try force them to reply via initiating a lawsuit, but folks who have tried to force their hand seem to get a "no" response more often than not.

Now if you are Colt or FN you can probably get them to respond to inquires on some sort of reasonable timeline, but if you are an unlicensed individual or even a small time FFL good luck getting a reply nowadays.
View Quote
Sounds like letters to the ATF should be marked UNODIR...
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#4]
An 80% AR receiver exists because there is an easy and clear path to legal ownership. I don't think they would allow any percentage of an object that has no path to legal ownership. What would be the point. An SOT could do it, but he has other better options than a dias. Jmho.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:28:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My impression is that those were fully complete, but made of some synthetic.    Or do you mean the twisted-up wire things?  

So are you saying the wire coat hanger is essentially an 80% DIAS?  That's a funny point!  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Coat hanger.jpg

My impression is that those were fully complete, but made of some synthetic.    Or do you mean the twisted-up wire things?  

So are you saying the wire coat hanger is essentially an 80% DIAS?  That's a funny point!  

Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:28:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The problem is the ATF treats their determinations like CoC7: deliberately vague to fit whatever they want at any given time.
View Quote

Which is why Chevron needs to die.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:28:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

By that logic, an 80% receiver should be considered a firearm.  It's probably a pretty safe assumption that anyone who buys an 80% forging is PLANNING on making it into a functional AR lower.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has anyone tried to make one?

(I would assume you'd have to an SOT or something in order to do this - just in case you go "too far" and accidentally make something that would be considered an MG or easily convertible - and then send a letter to the ATF for a technical ruling).

Logically, just like an 80% receiver, there MUST be a point where some metal parts are not a DIAS (but a few hours of work could turn them into one), and those could then be sold freely to any AR owner who wants one.

Has this ever been done?  Has anyone tried, and been raped by the ATF?

Sounds like constructive intent.

By that logic, an 80% receiver should be considered a firearm.  It's probably a pretty safe assumption that anyone who buys an 80% forging is PLANNING on making it into a functional AR lower.  

It's almost like you are trolling.

Any swinging dick can get an 80% receiver and legally build a semi auto AR15.

The whole premise of your thread addresses gray areas of federal regs that could land you in prison. Or maybe not gray. I'm not a SME on NFA Class 3 parts.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The whole premise of your thread addresses gray areas of federal regs that could land you in prison. Or maybe not gray. I'm not a SME on NFA Class 3 parts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(I would assume you'd have to an SOT or something in order to do this - just in case you go "too far" and accidentally make something that would be considered an MG or easily convertible - and then send a letter to the ATF for a technical ruling).

Logically, just like an 80% receiver, there MUST be a point where some metal parts are not a DIAS (but a few hours of work could turn them into one), and those could then be sold freely to any AR owner who wants one.

And any first year machinist apprentice can make an M16 from a forging on a manual mill + some files, it isn't like an M16 is a complicated thing to build. Guns aren't complicated in general and were historically invented by laymen, they aren't turbopumps on rocket engines.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Exactly.

The thing is...
There's no "80%" written into law (USC) or CFR anywhere.

Something either is, or isn't, a firearm, MG, silencer, etc.

ATF is who came up with doctrines about "machine time" and whatnot. I don't think much has been committed to written opinion. Even if it were, as you already pointed out, it's their opinion and they can change it at will.
View Quote
Yep.  Like I said, all designed to compel people to be content coloring far inside the lines.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#10]

that there is an 80% DIAS.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
And any first year machinist apprentice can make an M16 from a forging on a manual mill + some files, it isn't like an M16 is a complicated thing to build. Guns aren't complicated in general and were historically invented by laymen, they aren't turbopumps on rocket engines.
View Quote

True, but not what the Prof is discussing.
He said that an 80% DIAS could then be sold freely to any AR owner who wants one.
He's conflated 2 items.
An SOT/FFL made 80% DIAS, which may or may not fly with the feds and Joe Blow possessing one, which sounds like a bad fucking idea to me.

Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Right.

I would LOVE to have whatever FFL/SOT needed to do this (and the machine shop and skills, obviously), and then SPAM the ATF with various versions of a DIAS at different stages of development.

Is this an MG?
How about this?
How about this one?
Is this one an MG?
Okay, I made another one - is this an MG?

I mean, if they are going to have definitions like this, then we should be able to demand to know exactly where the line is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's honestly a pretty interesting hypothetical. There's not much to the things.

It does sort of shine a light on the problem of calling it a firearm, in a hamfisted effort to solve a "problem". Now that you've done that...there must exist an 80% version of this that would be legal to possess.

Even that (the 80% rule) is arbitrary as hell, so it's really two bureaucratic problems colliding.

Right.

I would LOVE to have whatever FFL/SOT needed to do this (and the machine shop and skills, obviously), and then SPAM the ATF with various versions of a DIAS at different stages of development.

Is this an MG?
How about this?
How about this one?
Is this one an MG?

I mean, if they are going to have definitions like this, then we should be able to demand to know exactly where the line is.

As you said, an 80% configuration has to have an ATF determination letter to be legal or you run the risk of creating one over 80% and then it’s a mg.  80% Dias usually is the body with just the main U shaped cut in it, a toggle and no rod for the axle.  Standard setup sold by many.  Relatively easy to complete if you have the rest of the dimensions and a couple tools.  

With your above scenario you are waiting a year or longer to get a reply back and you may never get a reply back which means it MAY be an illegal mg and they can jam you up at any time for making it.  I know of one FFL that made an 80% Glock select fire sear but not exactly like the approved version.  He ended up getting jammed up for not submitting a letter and waiting on approval plus anyone who had bought one had it confiscated unless they had already engraved and form 2’d it. (Obviously they also had to be an 07/02)

The scam is the determination letter is only an opinion at that moment for that manufacturer and it can change at any time according to the whims of the ATF

07/02 here so no one piss their pants.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm genuinely curious.

Obviously 80% forgings are perfectly legal, so there should be an 80% version of a DIAS, right?  

View Quote

80% is a made up number. Just keep sending blocks of metal to the ATF snd getting letters saying they’re not a machine gun. Do more machining, repeat. When they say it’s a machine gun, you’ll know you crossed the line.

Then they’ll retroactively say all blocks of metal are machine guns
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
An 80% AR receiver exists because there is an easy and clear path to legal ownership. I don't think they would allow any percentage of an object that has no path to legal ownership. What would be the point. An SOT could do it, but he has other better options than a dias. Jmho.
View Quote
Let's look at it like this then.  Federal law bans a drug which is identified by the chemical/molecular makeup of the drug.  An enterprising chemist develops a new drug, that is a single molecule different from the one banned, yet has the same effect as the original drug making them indistinguishable from each other by the end user.

In this case, we have a 99% = legal but 100% = illegal situation, and in a space where the legislature obviously cannot keep up with the evolving situation.  So you put a regulatory agency in charge, like the FDA, who can react quicker.  They're delegated the authority to now issue rulings on what makes a drug lawful or unlawful, their rulings are binding and they don't typically put people in federal prison for creating something that wasn't unlawful before they created it and before the FDA ruled on it.  There is a similarity in the case that FDA ruling isn't necessarily required, nor is the FDA required to issue rulings on every request, consider any supplement that says "These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA."

The BATFE on the other hand doesn't make binding rulings, is actually boundless by any rational definition, and they continually change in their opinion of what is or is not lawful.  So what is the difference between a cube of aluminum, and a partially completed DIAS?  Both are lawful to possess, neither is a machine gun, one is obviously closer to actually becoming a machine gun than the other, but either one has the potential to become a machine gun.  If the BATFE worked the way other regulatory agencies do, neither would be considered a machine gun until they did machine gun things.  A complete DIAS, fully capable of being dropped into a gun and running full auto, wouldn't be considered a machine gun until it actually was dropped in and fired.

But that's not how the BATFE works.  They have no problem using the unlimited resources of the federal government to prosecute and bankrupt people for daring to do something that, on it's face, appeared lawful within the letter of the law.  They go out of their way to prevent having a court set precedent that clarifies the issue in question, because of the risk that clarification may be more permissible than they prefer.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

In 2021, an 80% DIAS probably looks like extensive legal fees, failed attempts to crowdfund your defense, and an eventual over-frisky cell mate in federal prison after the ATF makes an example of you.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
80%  dias right here

timing will need some work but the idea is there

https://pimdatacdn.bahco.com/media/sub1008/16a85b21c808c13f.png
View Quote

DIAS I think not.
Metal for a Lighting Link is a yes.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#20]
The atf and NFA is horseshit. He fact that we can’t even know what’s legal and not is absurd. I won’t grade my students on a bio test by giving them all math questions. I can’t give an essay question that just says “write an essay about the correct subject matter” or anything like that.

They are tax funded so arguably they report to us.
Least they could do is tell us the fucking rules.

I have a double barrel shotgun with 28” barrels. Can I cut one barrel to 6” and the other to 18”? They are welded together so it’s technically a barrel extension like the others on the market.

Can I put a mossberg shockwave on an AR pistol to make a master key? The brace counts towards the oAL right?
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#21]
https://www.wnd.com/2013/07/atfs-latest-confiscation-program/

TLDR:

One of the reasons gun owners tend to be completely opposed to the passage of any new gun laws  no matter how innocuous or reasonable seeming  is the erratic history of interpretation and enforcement of the current gun laws. This is also why I cringe every time I hear someone who supposedly supports gun rights  from politicians to the head of the NRA  calling for the feds to "enforce the laws already on the books." The fact is, the gun laws that are already on the books are a labyrinth of confusion and booby-traps full of open-ended mandates, ambiguous definitions and unbridled bureaucratic discretion. Many innocent people have had their lives and livelihoods completely destroyed when federal agencies have decided to "enforce the laws already on the books."

The law that was on the books up until 1981 said that a DIAS was just a chunk of metal unless it, along with at least three other "full-auto" parts, was actually installed in a gun without prior ATF approval. Then in 1981, ATF bureaucrats, at their own discretion and under their own authority, redefined them as machine guns, but in their decree, they included the following exception:

"With respect to the machine gun classification of the auto sear under the National Firearms Act, pursuant to 26 U.S.C. 7805(b), this ruling will not be applied to auto sears manufactured before November 1, 1981. Accordingly, auto sears manufactured on or after November 1, 1981, will be subject to all the provisions of the National Firearms Act, and 27 C.F.R. Part 179."

For the following 30-plus years, it was widely understood that any DIAS manufactured prior to Nov. 1, 1981, was "grandfathered" and not subject to the rules regulating machine guns, and that it could be legally possessed so long as the possessor did not also possess either an AR15 rifle into which the auto sear could be installed or the other necessary M16 conversion parts. The belief in the legality of DIAS possession was so prevalent that a variety of sources continued publicly selling drop-in auto sears that they claimed were manufactured before ATF's arbitrary cutoff date. Such DIASes were widely known as "Pre-81 Drop-In Auto Sears" and were routinely advertised in various firearms publications and online auction sites.

Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Unregistered drop in auto sears made before the ban were being sold many years ago at gun shows along with a sheet of instructions on how to register them. They sold for a while before and  "after the 1986 restrictions" and they they sold for 50 bucks a pieces. I passed on three at a gun show after the 86 ban that were nice including hardened sears that were going for 50 bucks each.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's an interesting concept.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Laughs in "fuel filter" and "solvent trap".
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Right.

Is this an MG?
How about this?
How about this one?
Is this one an MG?

View Quote

I don't think AFT answers tech questions anymore, and hasn't for several years.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:31:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
https://www.wnd.com/2013/07/atfs-latest-confiscation-program/

TLDR:

One of the reasons gun owners tend to be completely opposed to the passage of any new gun laws  no matter how innocuous or reasonable seeming  is the erratic history of interpretation and enforcement of the current gun laws. This is also why I cringe every time I hear someone who supposedly supports gun rights  from politicians to the head of the NRA  calling for the feds to "enforce the laws already on the books." The fact is, the gun laws that are already on the books are a labyrinth of confusion and booby-traps full of open-ended mandates, ambiguous definitions and unbridled bureaucratic discretion. Many innocent people have had their lives and livelihoods completely destroyed when federal agencies have decided to "enforce the laws already on the books."

The law that was on the books up until 1981 said that a DIAS was just a chunk of metal unless it, along with at least three other "full-auto" parts, was actually installed in a gun without prior ATF approval. Then in 1981, ATF bureaucrats, at their own discretion and under their own authority, redefined them as machine guns, but in their decree, they included the following exception:

"With respect to the machine gun classification of the auto sear under the National Firearms Act, pursuant to 26 U.S.C. 7805(b), this ruling will not be applied to auto sears manufactured before November 1, 1981. Accordingly, auto sears manufactured on or after November 1, 1981, will be subject to all the provisions of the National Firearms Act, and 27 C.F.R. Part 179."

For the following 30-plus years, it was widely understood that any DIAS manufactured prior to Nov. 1, 1981, was "grandfathered" and not subject to the rules regulating machine guns, and that it could be legally possessed so long as the possessor did not also possess either an AR15 rifle into which the auto sear could be installed or the other necessary M16 conversion parts. The belief in the legality of DIAS possession was so prevalent that a variety of sources continued publicly selling drop-in auto sears that they claimed were manufactured before ATF's arbitrary cutoff date. Such DIASes were widely known as "Pre-81 Drop-In Auto Sears" and were routinely advertised in various firearms publications and online auction sites.

View Quote

So is ruling 81-4 still in effect? I know there was a ruling in the 10th circuit that said
81-4 was contrary to 26 5845b and ATF had no authority to make such a ruling.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Constructive intent/possession probably tripped long before 80%.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

the wire clothes hangers in your closet.
View Quote

Doesn't Rowe V Wade protect our use of coat hangers?
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Coat hanger.jpg
View Quote

hesrightyouknow.jpg
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:46:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

As others have pointed out, just like regular Title 1 firearms, something either legally IS or ISN'T a firearm.  It cannot be both.  At a certain point, with a certain amount of machining, an 80% receiver legally BECOMES a firearm.

The exact same thing must be true for a DIAS.  At some point, on its machining journey from raw pieces of metal, it legally BECOMES a machine gun.

What I am getting from this thread is that the ATF might just refuse to define where that point is - but I believe I am correct that such a point should exist, and it should be possible to have an 80% DIAS, which could be legally bought and sold without any paperwork.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As others have pointed out, just like regular Title 1 firearms, something either legally IS or ISN'T a firearm.  It cannot be both.  At a certain point, with a certain amount of machining, an 80% receiver legally BECOMES a firearm.

The exact same thing must be true for a DIAS.  At some point, on its machining journey from raw pieces of metal, it legally BECOMES a machine gun.

What I am getting from this thread is that the ATF might just refuse to define where that point is - but I believe I am correct that such a point should exist, and it should be possible to have an 80% DIAS, which could be legally bought and sold without any paperwork.

If someone should actually try this, and then go into the business of selling "80% DIAS stock", I do believe that they'd get shiny handcuffs with a quickness. At the trial, the alphabet boys would simply use the same excuse that the Supreme Court justice used in his famous decision regarding what is or isn't pornography, not too many years ago:

"I don't know what it is, but I know it when I see it."
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the wire clothes hangers in your closet.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#34]
This is as close to 80% as you can get but .gov thought otherwise.

Attachment Attached File
" target="_blank">Auto Card
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Holy crap... I need to put my sunglasses on to read this thread...
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Welding hood works moar better!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#37]
The laws about what constitute a firearm, and what constitutes a "machinegun" are not inclusive of each other.

The train of thought here isn't even on the tracks.

Link Posted: 10/14/2021 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#38]
One of the easiest guns to covert to full auto is the AR15.
An Akm or 74 is harder to convert because you have to not only cut two different sized holes in the receiver one being 7mm and other 5mm.
You have to align a cut or divet where the full auto selector marking should be and you have to cut a slot in the right hand side of where bolt carrier rides where auto sear sticks up on
If you cut it wrong by doing too much you have to weld or braze steel back on or it will not work because it would not be timed properly with bolt carrier sear tab and would trip out of battery safety engagement on back of bolt carrier not letting it fire auto. That is why the AR is so popular with SOT's cheap and easy to convert compared to other rifles.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#39]
A paper weight
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#40]
The N part of my INTJ makes me feel like this thread isn’t what it seems.   Not that its hunting over bait, but perhaps rather, a covert way of warning people, without letting on that you’re warning people?   Like flashing a scrap of paper saying “they're listening”.  Or, blinking it in morse code..      I dunno.   It’s weird.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#41]
It's looking like under the new ATF "ghost gun" rule, owning a CNC and block of aluminum is constructive intent. Or a 3D printer and filament.

"Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted  and you create a nation of law-breakers  and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with."  -Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 6:16:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

"Constructive intent" is bullshit made up gun counter fudd-lore. You should be ashamed of yourself for spreading it around here.

ETA:

You too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Constructive intent" is bullshit made up gun counter fudd-lore. You should be ashamed of yourself for spreading it around here.

ETA:
Quoted:Seriously?

Are you really ignorant of what the ATF calls "constructive intent"?

You too.

It’s not bullshit, it’s accepted case law

Edit:  that’s not constructive intent, it’s constructive possession. Case law for constructive intent would be the Thompson Center one, which did not go in favor of ATF
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#43]
I think it would look like about 20 years.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Happened in March of this year.

They arrested him and seized his assets.

For this:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/310007/fde7842c87466bf8179dfa5aa6385e7c-660x508-2129525.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IIRC someone made lightning link biz cards years ago. Which was just a piece of sheet metal with an engraving of what a lightning link should be and they got raped by the ATF.

Happened in March of this year.

They arrested him and seized his assets.

For this:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/310007/fde7842c87466bf8179dfa5aa6385e7c-660x508-2129525.JPG

That’s insane
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Prof, I would say you are.

Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#47]

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#48]
.Gov be a digging...Not today...
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#49]
The funny thing about this thread is

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Like the back of a STOP sign

If we print up a lightning link bumper sticker,
can the Arfcom yugo be registered as a destructive device?

@nvgeologist
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lightning link stencil would be kind of cool for marking things.  
Like the back of a STOP sign

If we print up a lightning link bumper sticker,
can the Arfcom yugo be registered as a destructive device?

@nvgeologist

That would be an "interesting"  thing for a group to take as their logo and posting anywhere and everywhere.   I like the idea of something like a glow in the dark green lightning link stencil on the back of stop signs.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top