Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/2/2014 4:00:20 PM EDT
A few years ago I purchased this bomber jacket. I have bought other nice Army Air Corps stuff from this family before. Here is the story the Father was in a home and the son wanted to get rid of some stuff. His dad flew in the 8th Air force in WW2.
There was a fiftieth anniversary reunion. So he had his old Twenty five mission jacket rebuilt this was the 90's. With the jacket came a 1910 baby browning in 25acp. Tons of pitting on the left side next to the body and pristine on the right. I am guessing that the original jackets had a vest pocket to carry pistols in on the left.
I  looked doubtful. So I asked the Wing he was a part of. This is what I got.8th AF 3rd air division, 45th combat wing, 96th bomb group C, 339th bomber squadron. He said that the jackets came with no insignia and the local British women made logos and patches that were hand cut.
He also berated the too perfect reproductions in that the art was too good. In that one of the crew usually hand painted the jackets. It's a redo I know that. Constructed by a original member of the crew and painted by him. Stacked hand cut 8th patch and all paint was covered in some kind of flexible clear coat.
I paid 100$ for it with pistol. It's kind of big for me but if I wore it would this be a case of stolen valor? The 339th was reactivated in Korea but he never flew there.
But he did make Major.

This was cut from the original coat and stitched to the new one.

It sits in my closet. The leather needs to be worked a bit. He wore it for a couple of years I was told.
I've had it since 2002.Pictures were taken at my sisters house.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#1]
unless you make claims that are not true, it isn't stolen valor, imo.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

No one is going to assume you are a WWII  bomber pilot.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think wearing a bomber jacket from WWII is stolen valor.  If you wore full uniform and were old enough to pass for WWII then yes.

That said that jacket is a relic and probably should be preserved.  Wearing it may be too hard on that old jacket it's art work and its history.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Make sure you say stuff like "This isn't the European Theater. There are rules" and "Yeah, that reminds me of the time I was bombing Dresden..."
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. And unless you're like 87 years old, no one is going to believe you flew 25 missions over Europe anyway.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#6]
If there is any discomfort whatsoever, don't wear it.  Send it on over to me because in fact I did earn all those patches and rank.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

Some people also wear stuff in honor. Just don't give the proscription that you've earned it
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#8]
It is more about the rank insignia. Taking them off would damage it.
Just wanted to see how the mil guys thought about it. It's only about 20 years old.
But to keep the folds right and a little body heat and moisture is what it needs.
I took it to a place that specializes in leather coats.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#9]

You're going to probably need to dye your hair gray or silver and get a cane or walker to pass that off
Nice jacket btw
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:38:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Those hand made WW2 patches bring good money . like several $100 good, My dad had a cocksucker in Florida steal his original
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I got a setup like this off Ebay.  Should I wear it GD?

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/ekZ6eFq.jpg
View Quote

I don't think Stolen Virginity is a crime?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#16]
yeah, get a grip.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I have an early 70's bomber jacket I got from a family friend, I wear it. I'm not claiming to be anything but a fan of the jacket.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt anyone is doing anything with his virginity anytime soon.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd wear it as is. Unless you're in your 80's or 90's, No one is going to think you're pretending. If anyone says something to you, tell them the story behind the jacket and that you wear it to honor the original owner.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dudes probably an LT by now

Stolen Valor Jams
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Awesome jacket, either way.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Awesome jacket, either way.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:55:48 PM EDT
[#23]
That jacket is bad ass.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:02:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Every once in a while i wear my dads G-1 flight jacket that he wore when he was a crew chief on N model hueys in the Marines. It has his squadron patch and name tag on it, i have worn it around vets and people who were aircrew and they didn't give a shit. I never claim to be something that i am not and i  just tell them it was my dads and he gave it to me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I wouldn't worry about it. Don Shipley will likely go easy on you for a first offense.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:11:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Make sure you say stuff like "This isn't the European Theater. There are rules" and "Yeah, that reminds me of the time I was bombing Dresden..."
View Quote
I'll never get over Macho Grande.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Every once in a while i wear my dads G-1 flight jacket that he wore when he was a crew chief on N model hueys in the Marines. It has his squadron patch and name tag on it, i have worn it around vets and people who were aircrew and they didn't give a shit. I never claim to be something that i am not and i  just tell them it was my dads and he gave it to me.
View Quote

Thats because most people, even people who served, don't give a shit.   I want to gag at all the "Honor the jacket" tripe.   White Knight much?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That jacket is bad ass.
View Quote

i agree. i would wear it all the time
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Why are the bombs arranged in a dick and balls fashion?
Was it an all gay squadron?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Hey, really cool jacket! Wear the fuck out of it!
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Why don't you just display it in a case? Instead of risking it getting ruined.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:18:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Only reason I wouldn't wear it is because of the oak leaves.

That's just me. I wouldn't flame you for wearing it.  Pretty bad asses jacket.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Apparently, they go for over a grand on ebay and in much worse condition.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#35]
I say -try- and steal valor with it. See how many people you could convince you were a WW2 bomber. If they bite, tell them it runs in your family since your father was a bomber in the civil war.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I honestly would, because that's hilarious.

Needs to work in a line about that one dame in Paris .
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thats because most people, even people who served, don't give a shit.   I want to gag at all the "Honor the jacket" tripe.   White Knight much?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh Oh. Prepare to get dogpiled by the Stolen Valor Mafia
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They need hobbies.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It is more about the rank insignia. Taking them off would damage it.
Just wanted to see how the mil guys thought about it. It's only about 20 years old.
But to keep the folds right and a little body heat and moisture is what it needs.
I took it to a place that specializes in leather coats.
View Quote

Your Dad's jacket... your Dad earned the rank.  As long as you aren't claiming to be a former Major bomber pilot from WWII, IMO you're good to go.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Who gives a shit?  Wear the hell out of it
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#42]
I say wear it.  Tank icon approved.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:27:26 PM EDT
[#43]
ETA: I guess I need to read more.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Pan Am Captain Flying a 747 was having trouble understanding the Berlin ground controller's instructions.
Controller asked the Pan AM pilot " Haven't you been here before"?

Captain replied back. " Yes I was here in 44'  but we didn't land"
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#45]
If you wear it because it's cool or in honor of those who earned it, then no problem.

If you claim its history as your own, you deserve a punch in the dick.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#46]
I would wear it. There are companies that turn out replica jackets for civilian wear with reproduced artwork, names, etc. As others have posted, nobody will think you are posing as a WW2 bomber pilot. And quite frankly, flight jackets are technically not uniform items anyway. They are considered flight equipment (at least in the USAF when I was in). That is why military pilots would catch hell about wearing them off base or even on base if they were not flying. I do not know if that is still true or not, I have seen more than a few active duty pilots wearing their leather A2 jackets off base in the past several years.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:37:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I would not consider it stolen valor if you are obviously NOT trying to depict yourself as the person who wore that jacket in wartime, which should be obvious from your age in this case.

Wearing an article of military clothing to commemorate a certain time in history or war is fine in my opinion, provided you have no intention to deceive.

"Stolen Valor" comes into play when people are deliberately trying to impersonate actual veterans or active military personnel, with intent to deceive others.

That is a horse of an entirely different color.

ETA: I own a few A-2 jackets myself, and although none of them have any rank insignia on them, a few do have "nose art" painted on them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#48]
If anyone gives you a problem, tell them your outerwear has been vetted and authorized for wear by AR15.com.  This authorization is only valid if you don't claim to be a SEAL, Special Forces, A-10 pilot or gender-reassigned.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Very cool. As everyone else has said, unless you are claiming to be a vet, it's not stolen valor.

I wear an M41 field jacket out every now and then, no insignia right now but I've been meaning to add 5th armored and Tech 5 patches to commemorate my grandfather's service.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:56:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Don't laugh but when it cools down I plan on wearing it.
The bombs in a row are runs over Germany proper the rest scattered around are over occupied country's.
The swaz is backwards as a sign of disrespect. I was told they just got 25 missions in then they raised the limit.
The patch on the front from the original was covered in "dope" some kind of flexible stuff painted on the canvas surfaces of the plane.
He was a nice old guy. A friend of my father but his son sucked. Oh and to the poster above aren't those Maple leaves?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top