Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 4/19/2016 9:41:18 PM EDT
Is this a Tier 87 Operator thing now, like pulling the pistol to their chest and whipping their head left right left?

Do they figure a car-length per 10mph rounds to 1 when you drop below 10mph?

Are they too short to see over the steering wheel for the "wheels atop hood" check?

Seriously, WTF?!?!?!  Especially at an intersection where traffic backs up a lot, you arseholes are causing more problems.  Stop it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Appropriate distance is if you can see the rear wheels of the car in front of you.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#2]
because i like to leave enough room to go around if i have to?

this isn't rocket fucking surgery

doesn't take a whole car length though
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:42:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Room to pull forward when you note the teener behind you might not stop in time due to texting.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Leave yourself room to move.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#5]
all of the above...
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:43:48 PM EDT
[#6]
In a really bad neighborhood it could be in case emergency invasive action is required.  In such cases I usually leave about 1/2 car length.

Most of the time though I think it's just people not knowing how to drive properly.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#7]

I leave some space so when some oblivious asshole rear ends me, I don't hit the car in front of me too.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:43:51 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, do you drive a bro dozer?
Does your girlfriend like yelling at gay dudes in a BMW?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:44:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:44:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Meh. I'd be more concerned if they were paying attention to when the light changes than their phone. Fucking people have the attention span of a gold fish.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:45:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Appropriate distance is if you can see the rear wheels of the car in front of you.
View Quote

And so I don't become trapped when the asshole not paying attention rear ends the car behind you and smashes you into the one in front making the car fold up on you and needing to be cut out of the car[img]]

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is this a Tier 87 Operator thing now, like pulling the pistol to their chest and whipping their head left right left?

Are they too short to see over the steering wheel for the "wheels atop hood" check?

Seriously, WTF?!?!?!  Especially at an intersection where traffic backs up a lot, you arseholes are causing more problems.  Stop it.
View Quote

Have you ever had any real driver training?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:45:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I've noticed it too, most people I see stop well short and bust out the cell phones. It's like they either can't wait to get on their phones, or they do it to add space because they know they're not going to pay attention for a while.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I like to see the tires contact the ground of the car in front of me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:46:33 PM EDT
[#15]
People have their heads so far up their asses these days tapping away on their little cell phones that they can't be bothered to pay attention to their driving.

That's why I leave room in between so that if I'm on a motorcycle I can get out of the way in time.

If I'm in a car it depends a lot on what the car is in front of me.  If it's a truck hauling a bunch of wood or other shit I'm going to hang back some distance in the event that the load comes loose.

Self preservation.

Lastly, there is no real point to parking my car as close as possible to the bumper of the car in front of me.  What if the person needs to back up for some reason? What if they are driving a standard and let the car fall back a bit before engaging the clutch?

Common sense.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#16]
What really kills me is when people do it at Drive Thru's or ATMS. Pull the fuck up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:48:04 PM EDT
[#17]
OP does not know how to drive.

Don't feel bad OP, you are in the majority.

Of idiot fucks.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Only one car length?  Hell here in Vegas it's usually 3-4 lengths. Never saw it till we moved here.
Seriously see it nearly every time we go anywhere here in town.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#19]
You should leave enough room to drive around the car in front of you in case the guy behind you gets froggy. Basic persec bro.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#20]
... Strategic exit maneuver if required
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:49:54 PM EDT
[#21]
OP,

Do you drive a White F350 dually by chance?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:50:38 PM EDT
[#22]
To make sure no one trips the sensor loop.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:50:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Of idiot fucks.

View Quote

This....
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Escape and evasion, common sense.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Accident avoidance and offensive/defensive driving.  I guess they fit in the operator realm, but I've always been taught to stop far enough away so that you can pull around if needed.  And also so that if you get rear ended the chances of hitting the car in front of you are drastically reduced by distance.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. Always give yourself enough room
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
OP,

Do you drive a White F350 dually by chance?
View Quote

Already asked.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:52:21 PM EDT
[#28]
So I've got room to change lanes if necessary.

I detest bumper riders.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I do it when I travel into large cities or bad neighborhoods - in case I need to jet.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:52:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
all of the above...
View Quote

This. If something happens or I just plain want to move I want room to go.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Who cares? Really!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:53:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Escape and evasion, common sense.
View Quote

This. I leave room just in case I need to get the fuck out for some reason.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#34]
OP can you tell me why people use their blinker to get on the highway? That one always stumps me. To me the binker indicates a change when there are options. Where the fuck else are you going to go other than the right lane? It looks like you want to go from the right lane to the left, but you don't.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#35]
For escape purposes and if some asshole decides to slam into me I don't cause a chain reaction.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#36]
OP fails at proper planning for inevitable assholes.

ETA: Funny story time.  I had just pulled up to a stop sign where there was a car stopped ahead of me.  I left the amount of space that OP is bitching about.  My ride was an 82 CJ7 that I had lovingly (and not kinda piss-poorly) built up.  Well the clutch linkage chose that exact moment to break causing the jeep to lurch forward at which time I rapidly turn the wheel towards a nicely manicured lawn and get it stopped. Had I pulled right up to the bumper of the car ahead like OP does I would have crashed into their bumper.  See OP: practical application.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#37]
That's what bumpers are for. Just push them forward a bit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Room to pull forward when you note the teener behind you might not stop in time due to texting.

These. Depends on the light.. If it's a light in town, usually half a car length. If it's a light just coming off a highway, or on one of our weird highway but not highway roads, a car length. I pull up to maybe 1/3 car length once there's a car or two stopped behind me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:55:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Do you even close car combat, bro?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1bm3GgDxPOM
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:55:37 PM EDT
[#40]
I used to think these people had some secret awareness about driving, so I started to take mental note of them when I drove past them. 9/10 looked like disheveled fuck nuts to me, maybe a higher percentage. Honestly, I think they can't judge where to stop, so they stop early. I came across a person who "stops early" where I work, I asked them why they do it, their response was somewhat illuminating, they said they'd been in a wreck and their anxiety kept reminding them of the intersection so they avoid it by stopping early. They asked me why I inquired and I was honest, I felt that people who stop short are oddballs.

I see alot of illegal alien types doing it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:56:03 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Accident avoidance and offensive/defensive driving.  I guess they fit in the operator realm, but I've always been taught to stop far enough away so that you can pull around if needed.  And also so that if you get rear ended the chances of hitting the car in front of you are drastically reduced by distance.
View Quote

A 1/3, maybe a 1/2.. but a full car length is being a special fucking look at me snow flake.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#42]

LOL

Just OP being an OP again. I wonder if he'll come back.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Also gives you options encase someone tries to jack you.  You might be able to pull around and beat feet out of there.  My dad taught me that when I started driving.  He had to drive through a bad part of town to get to his job.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

0.5/10 rant
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:56:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Hop off my ass OP.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Leave yourself room to move.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:57:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Of idiot fucks.

View Quote

LoL
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:58:57 PM EDT
[#49]
There's more than one time I looked in the rearview mirror I can tell the jackass was going to run into the back of me because they weren't paying attention and it gave me time to pull out and avoid it..

But hey Nice rant
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Now that I am married, old and can't bang 20 year olds the very next best thing in life is to wedge my Crown Vic in some asshole's 25' long stoplight safe space.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top