OP should feel bad.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:59:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I like giving my self an out
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Meh. I'd be more concerned if they were paying attention to when the light changes than their phone. Fucking people have the attention span of a gold fish.
View Quote

It's also the reason for the endless threads that pop up every 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:00:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
OP does not know how to drive.

Don't feel bad OP, you are in the majority.

Of idiot fucks.

View Quote

^ this
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#5]
They tell you to in drivers ed. Also in LA if you sit on the sensors at the back of the row the light will turn in your favor when making a left.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:00:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Because it's smart for all the reasons already mentioned.... Plus, it allows you to regain a cushion of space, visibility and time when traffic starts moving again.

OP... Why do you want to ride people's asses and get to the next traffic light 3 seconds before the other drivers?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#7]
This started in the mid "90's for my old area(New England). Annoyed the shit out of me...I do it now though
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is this a Tier 87 Operator thing now, like pulling the pistol to their chest and whipping their head left right left?

Do they figure a car-length per 10mph rounds to 1 when you drop below 10mph?

Are they too short to see over the steering wheel for the "wheels atop hood" check?

Seriously, WTF?!?!?!  Especially at an intersection where traffic backs up a lot, you arseholes are causing more problems.  Stop it.
View Quote

So if you're rear ended you also dont slam into the car in front of you.

Also, so you arent blocked in; during an emergency situation.

Is this your 1st day driving?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Escape and evasion, common sense.
View Quote

op has obviously never been attacked or shot at
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I tend to do it when I have already stopped, and the cars ahead of me creep up a few feet.  Leaving me about a car behind the one ahead of me.  I don't care enough to push the clutch in, put it in gear, slip the clutch to move forward, then take it out of gear again.  I'll just wait a few minutes kthxbai
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OP should feel bad.
View Quote

You really should OP.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:02:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is this a Tier 87 Operator thing now, like pulling the pistol to their chest and whipping their head left right left?

Are they too short to see over the steering wheel for the "wheels atop hood" check?

Seriously, WTF?!?!?!  Especially at an intersection where traffic backs up a lot, you arseholes are causing more problems.  Stop it.
View Quote

In Seattle at the first hint of snow people abandon their cars in the middle of the road and walk home. If I leave a space I can pull around them and drive home.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Every dildo on the road parks on the bumper in front of them, I do not. Sue me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:03:23 PM EDT
[#14]
They do it just to piss you off OP
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This started in the mid "90's for my old area(New England). Annoyed the shit out of me...I do it now though
View Quote

Definitely wasn't MA. Those fuckers don't leave a car length at 85mph, let alone a stop light.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
because i like to leave enough room to go around if i have to?

this isn't rocket fucking surgery

doesn't take a whole car length though
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Escape and evasion, common sense.

Also, this....

OP needs to drive around Iraq for awhile.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

So you have a way out, also keeps you from hitting the car in front if rear ended.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:07:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
... Strategic exit maneuver if required
View Quote

This. Some asshat decides to carjack or road rage you-you- you can pull away
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:11:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Op is a female driver. Bet curbs jump out infront of you too?
It's not your fault, we understand.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I leave some space so when some oblivious asshole rear ends me, I don't hit the car in front of me too.  

View Quote

this, the last two accidents I was involved in I was hit by the person behind me because they were right on my bumper when they got rear ended.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:12:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Because some people might havd gotten rear ended before.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:12:59 PM EDT
[#25]
OP is an honorary teener, doesn't know how to drive.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Because I might need an escape route.

Because I don't want to bash the car ahead if I get rear ended.

Because I don't want to wait for the car ahead of me to move a carlength before I start accelerating when it turns green, which keep the car behind me from having to wait for me to move, and so on.

The ONLY time it annoys me is when people space themselves in a lane that has a right or left turn branching off of it. If they'd squeeze up a little, it would allow drivers behind them to get off the road.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Leave yourself room to move.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I do it when I travel into large cities or bad neighborhoods - in case I need to jet.
View Quote

Same.

I usually try to stay in a lane that has an out if need be (shoulder, center median etc).

But the ones that hang back 5+ car lengths and then ratfuck you when the light turns green by sitting there until it turns yellow and gunning it through the intersection can eat a bowl of dicks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:20:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I leave a space so I can go around the vehicle in front of me in case it becomes disabled or if the car coming up behind me isn't paying attention.  I have had to get on the gas a couple of times due to the car not paying attention behind me and without the buffer I would have definitely gotten rear ended.  Common sense if you ask me, ride someone's ass and bad things will happen.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Room to pull forward when you note the teener behind you might not stop in time due to texting.
View Quote

My son got rear ended tonight.  It drove him into the car in front of him.  Had he left a car length, the damage would have been substantially less.

I tend to leave more space in front of me when I ride one of my motorcycles.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#31]

There's a lot of good reasons for it, as already explained.

Me, I do it because I feel like it.

You don't like it? Too bad for you.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:24:47 PM EDT
[#32]
People who think head win, plus, you're not getting where you want to be any faster or slower because the guy in front of you leaves himself an easy way out, just like your not getting there any faster by coal rolling to the red light while I'm coasting to get to it.  Always gives me a good giggle though, so keep on keeping on.

Laughed at a girl that a couple of weeks ago that pulled up to close to my bumper then decided she wanted in the next lane.  She was having a shit fit that she kept having to back, forward, back forward, repeatedly to make it work.  She had a choice but chose wrong.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Glad that some drivers do that, shows that they're not complete idiots.
Too bad you aren't
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Do you even "smith systems"?

You can tell who drives professionally on here.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#35]
I think there's a differ nice between leaving enough room to bust out if need be and the full 1-1.5 carpenters the OP is talking about.  

What annoys the heck out of me is when you pull up behind the one car at a light and they have stopped so far back that they aren't even on the sensor to trigger the light, OR it's a long line of traffic and you're trying to turn into a business and the a-hat in front of you is just watching you with your blinker on trying to get by but they can't use any of the 15ft in front of them to pull forward enough for you to get that last 1/2inch of your bumper by without touching their car...
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:31:59 PM EDT
[#36]
1. So you can get out if you need to in an emergency
2. So if you do get rear-ended, you don't slam into the car in front of you. As far as I understand it, you can be held at fault for 'being too close,' though I could be wrong.

As a firefighter, I spend a lot of time driving a big red thing with lights and sirens on it, responding to vehicle crashes, and watching people drive in general. The majority of people driving on the road are doing something stupid or unsafe (including ARFCOMers.) People forget they are in control of a multi-thousand pound chunk of metal, plastic, and fuel and that they can cause a lot of damage with it by not paying attention.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#37]
If the car in front of you breaks down, it gives you enough room to drive around it without having to reverse.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Ahh, yes over brakers. Go around them when you can. That really pisses them off, which makes me smile.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:33:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Did you take drivers ed OP?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're making the mistake of assuming they have any fucking clue where their vehicle is, spatially, in relation to their surroundings, and/or that they care at all rather than just sitting there fucking with a phone.

There is a time and place to leave extra space, but crowded stretches of road with traffic backing up behind you isn't it.   People don't need a couple of car lengths of space to get out.

Quoted:

What annoys the heck out of me is when you pull up behind the one car at a light and they have stopped so far back that they aren't even on the sensor to trigger the light,
View Quote

Most people are will look at you like you have a dick growing out of your forehead if you ask them about stoplight sensors.   Little old ladies, soccer moms, and millenials have no idea how lights work.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:34:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Now that I am married, old and can't bang 20 year olds the very next best thing in life is to wedge my Crown Vic in some asshole's 25' long stoplight safe space.
View Quote

It's more satisfying when they're in a sports car that they can't drive worth a f.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#42]
You should always leave space between you and the next car to be able to have a getaway.  Do they not teach this in drivers education anymore?

Oh, btw, I do this BECAUSE of shitty drivers such as the OP who read-end me when they're rear-ended.  Thanks OP- you're a wonderful driver!  Pat yourself on the back!

ETA: this has saved my ass a few times too, the worst was a semi that was not slowing down in my mirror, I pulled around into the median and watched him plow into the car in front of me who was right up on the next guys ass with no where to go...  He went to the hospital- I went on my way.  Semi driver fell asleep.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:38:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Usually this coincides with this trick: waiting for the light, they do the "red light creep," letting off of the brake pedal slightly, creeping forward. That's how you can spot an automatic transmission driver.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:40:09 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Room to pull forward when you note the teener behind you might not stop in time due to texting.
View Quote
Yup.  It's saved me from damage during rear end collisions 3 times now.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Leave yourself room to move.

Life is movement, movimiento es vida!

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Gotta leave room for a getaway
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

LoL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP does not know how to drive.

Don't feel bad OP, you are in the majority.

Of idiot fucks.

LoL

OP does not operate...

Stay in your lane, OP!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:44:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Because some dipshits feel like they need an entire football fields length to escape their lane.

The first cars at traffic lights that sit a car length or two behind the line are the really weird ones. Dumbasses don't realize they are not tripping the light anytime soon.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:45:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Usually this coincides with this trick: waiting for the light, they do the "red light creep," letting off of the brake pedal slightly, creeping forward. That's how you can spot an automatic transmission driver.
View Quote

You mean like 95+% of vehicles? How's that a trick?

If anything you should watch for the ones that might roll back slightly to give them more room. Seen more than one manual driver panic and stall at very bad spots.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top