Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2005 7:44:41 AM EDT
OK Arfcommers.....

I posted this question a while back, but can't find it any longer.

I need Tips, advice, and what to do and what not to do for an upcoming vasectomy. We have 2 wonderful boys, and that's where we're calling it quits.

All recommendations will be appreciated.

Signed

Kurt "Hey Doc...watch that knife" Austin
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:52:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Use the ice & don't overdo it! I did and had a week of complications. (My balls swelled up so bad I couldn't walk very well.)

But other than that, post-vasectomy life is very nice.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:52:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Write THIS IS NOT MY PENIS!  on both of your legs so they don't cut in the wrong spot.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:54:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Spunk in a jar and put it in the fridge (not Frige) in case you change your mind.

R.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:55:50 AM EDT
[#4]
ice and rest for 3 days.

It will feel like you are carring a 10lb brick from your dick.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Write THIS IS NOT MY PENIS!  on both of your legs so they don't cut in the wrong spot.

They cut your sack not your penis.

Shok
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#6]
My experience was not bad at all.
The worst part was the injection of local anesthetic into the pubic region. That was painful but not horrible.
They shave some of your pubes and tape your dick to your belly.
They make a small incision in your scrotum and cut and snip your vas defrens and sew it up.
repeat for other side.
I did not feel anything at all other than some strange tugging in the groin. I was talking throughout the entire procedure.
You go home with pain meds and a bag of ice.
My incision site was infection free for the duration.
Take it easy for the first 24 hours. No vigourous activity and no lifting.
Worse part of post surgery was my nuts were itching from the shave job and the sutures.
The most pain I felt was like a someone smacked your nuts with a tennis ball but not like a full serve.
I experienced some swelling and pain a few months afterwards but this becomes less in duration and severity as time goes by.
I had mine done in 1990 and the last time I had achy balls was 2 years ago and I barely noticed it.

ETA: we did the sperm collection and kept the specimens for 5 years in case we changed our mind.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They cut your sack not your penis.

www.emedicinehealth.com/images/4453/4453-4484-25921-30422tn.jpg

Shok

Yes.  Thank you.  It was a joke.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:27:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The worst part was the injection of local anesthetic into the pubic region. That was painful but not horrible.

I'll second that, but do yourself a favor and shave it yourself. Do you really trust anyone to shave you but yourself?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:29:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll second that, but do yourself a favor and shave it yourself. Do you really trust anyone to shave you but yourself?

my nurse was hot but I was numb when she got to me and it wasn't working. I was probably too nervous to get a boner anyway
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
ice and rest for 3 days.

SGatr15

You F***ing pussy

I was at werk two hours afterwards... a couple o tylinol and that was it...
Although... I did take it easy with runnin' up and down stairs..(It helps to hang on to the boys so they don't bounce too much)
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:41:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

my nurse was hot but I was numb when she got to me and it wasn't working. I was probably too nervous to get a boner anyway

pathetic, twonami, pathetic. My nurse was hot also, infact she was a cute little med student about 24-25 years old. the lidocane had no effect when she came in and touched the shlong. I was a bit embaraced to say the least, but she smiled back at it
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:04:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ice and rest for 3 days.

SGatr15

You F***ing pussy

Although... I did take it easy with runnin' up and down stairs..(It helps to hang on to the boys so they don't bounce too much)

Yeah, but here in America our penises are ALOT bigger due to the exchange rate.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:11:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
ice and rest for 3 days.

SGatr15

You F***ing pussy

Yeah, but here in America our penises are ALOT bigger due to the exchange rate.

Sgat1r5

pwn3d
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:21:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I had mine done in 2001.  As stated, the injection of numbing agent was the worst part.  I had mine done just before my weekend at work so I had two days of rest before going back to work.  I do physical work but even so I did 95% of my normal job.  I just got help for lifting the heavy stuff.

Tips:

Listen to the instructions regarding ice.  Ice is your friend.  Bags of frozen peas are your friend.

I think I only took Advil/Tylenol but there really wasn't much post op pain involved unless the boys were not secured and got moving around.

A jock Strap or tighty whities are amust.  If you are a boxer guy, you need to get some before the operation.  You'll understand afterwards what I am talking about.  As Sgtar15 said, it feels like someone tied a weight to your balls.

I didn't have sutures with mine.  The doc just made a snip on my sac with what looked like side cutters, took a hunk out of the Vas, cauterized the ends, then stuffed it back in facing the opposite ways.

The whole proceedure for me was a breeze and if for some reason I had to do it again, I'd do it without hesitation.

Also as stated above, sex afterwards was better.  I am guessing that somewhere subconciously I was always concerned about pregnancy before the operation.  With that no longer being a factor, I felt more "free".

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I had mine a week and a half ago...The gave me a light sedative ahead of time so I was asleep not long after my head hit the table...I did wake up when the needle with the local was injected into my sack  I asked about it before hand about a month ago then posted on it righ afterwards

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=376731

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=363738

also google "beavercleaver" and it'll show full color vasectomy being done
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#16]
cant believe you would even consider it.

wth man do you wear pink panties too?

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:39:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

What sort of reasoning did you use to come up with this gem?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
They shave some of your pubes and tape your dick to your belly.
They make a small incision in your scrotum and cut and snip your vas defrens and sew it up.
repeat for other side.
I did not feel anything at all other than some strange tugging in the groin. I was talking throughout the entire procedure.
You go home with pain meds and a bag of ice.
My incision site was infection free for the duration.
Take it easy for the first 24 hours. No vigourous activity and no lifting.
Worse part of post surgery was my nuts were itching from the shave job and the sutures.
The most pain I felt was like a someone smacked your nuts with a tennis ball but not like a full serve.
I experienced some swelling and pain a few months afterwards but this becomes less in duration and severity as time goes by.
I had mine done in 1990 and the last time I had achy balls was 2 years ago and I barely noticed it.

ETA: we did the sperm collection and kept the specimens for 5 years in case we changed our mind.

+1  That's exactly how it works.  We just didn't bother with the sperm collection beforehand.  
Also, insurance usually pays 100%.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:45:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Ice is your friend.  In a day or so you should be up and moving normally.

Also, don't get drunk and have sex 4 days after you have it done.  Trust me on that.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What sort of reasoning did you use to come up with this gem?

Pink panties. Not normally...unless there's nothing good on cable.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#21]
How long after the snip till your really shooting blanks?

There has to be some sort of wait time to let the swimmer guys in storage go sour.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

There has to be some sort of wait time to let the swimmer guys in storage go sour.

You have to pump out the pool so to speak.  As my Doc told me "You aren't in the clear until I say you are in the clear."  You have to go back and have samples tested to see if their are any sperm present.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have to pump out the pool so to speak.  As my Doc told me "You aren't in the clear until I say you are in the clear."  You have to go back and have samples tested to see if their are any sperm present.  

Yup.

But I think most sperm dies after 24 hours...not sure

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:04:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ice and rest for 3 days.

SGatr15

You F***ing pussy

A friend of mine rode his mountain bike home from the doctor's office after surgery.

That's pretty hardcore...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
ice and rest for 3 days.

SGatr15

You F***ing pussy

A friend of mine rode his mountain bike home from the doctor's office after surgery.

That's pretty hardcore...

Jesus...Is he a crack addict?

You gotta either really be into pain, or really be on something good to think that a mountain bike ride after open nutsack surgery is a good idea.

Kurt "My Nuts Ache Already" Austin
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#26]
I had a lousy HMO at the time.

I went through the door and thirty minutes later I was leaving.

I've never seen a doc work that fast. I felt like the calf at the rodeo. I half expected him to throw up his hand when done and look at the clock for his time.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Guy goes in for a vasectomy and later returns for the follow-up.

Doc says that he's going to need a 'sample'.

The guy notices that the nurse reached down, unzips his fly and starts stroking him.

He figures, "Hey...this ain't bad...and sits back to enjoy it"

Then he looks over to the next room and sees a nurse down on her knees giving a blowjob.
(Obviously the head nurse)

He says, "Hey doc, what's the deal, why does that guy get a blowjob and all I get is a handjob?"

The doc says, "Sir...he is on a PPO plan, you're on an HMO"

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ice and rest for 3 days.

SGatr15

You F***ing pussy

From your spelling, I guess that your nuts must still hurt.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#29]
O-K . . . here's my 2 cents . . .

After my second child it was time to get "fixed".  Went to a general surgeon -- a friend of mine -- and told him what I wanted.

Doc made all the plans and I went into the local hospital on a Friday morning.  Nurse took me downstairs and gave me a shot of some really cool stuff  !    Felt like I was floating in the clouds  !   Don't remember much after that but about an hour later Doc came to my room and told me that Wifey was waiting on me and I was ready to go home.   Doc gave me a funny looking jock-strap to wear for a few days and a small pack of pain pills.

Rested most of the day and on Saturday went to the local tractor pull and must have walkabout 3 miles.  Never had any problems.  

Doc said that he would need a "sample" after Wifey and I had sex 10 times.  

Anyway - - - took in a sample and Doc called with the results.  I was out of the office when he called and he left a message with my secretary: "please tell Banker Billy that Charles called and they are all dead".  What a message  ! !  

Don't think my secretary ever figured out what was going on.  

Anyway -- sex DOES get better and would do it all over again . . . .
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:50:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Takes 72 days to clean out the tank completely. You give sample in about 3 -4 weeks then again in 90 days. Had mine a year ago. As far as I'm concerned it was a waste of time. Got much more prior to snip job.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Most guys get over it in about a week--I was one of the minority.  Even with ice and jock straps the left side took about a month; the right side almost six months.    It would feel like something pulled loose, and I'd be carrying sgtar15's 10 pound brick again for 3-4 days...

BUT--I'm happy I had it done.  Hopefully YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

My doc pronounced me "good" after I brought in 3 clean samples - nothing alive, nothing dead, just plain nothing. It takes weeks before all the dead ones have vacated the premises.

You see, if there are dead ones, then how do you know they weren't live ones that leaked passed the sutures? You gotta shoot a score of "zero".
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Oh man, I feel like I'm going to hurl just reading these responses. Just thinking about having my bag cut on makes me feel faint.

Our 2nd (and last) child is due in January and I was thinking of getting snipped during the time my wife is off of work for maternity leave. It would be the perfect time because we won't be able to "have relations" anyway. I am going to take some time off of work also, so I would have plenty of time for rest. It's just the thought of actually doing it makes me feel sick.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Just do it yourself, tie a small rubber band around you giggle berries and wait like 3 weeks.  We do it to the bulls on the farm every year.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Just do it yourself, tie a small rubber band around you giggle berries and wait like 3 weeks.  We do it to the bulls on the farm every year.

that'll make you go up an octave
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:36:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Frozen peas mould very well to your now swollen testicles.  Take it easy, and dont do too much especially at first.  In a week you will feel better, but you are not 100% yet and dont act like it.  Ease back into intercourse, and now is not the time to be experimenting with the kama sutra positions.  After sex, I was tender for a couple weeks, but that goes away too.  Follow up with your doctor and report anything out of the ordinary.  After all you dont want to take chances with the boys.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:44:22 PM EDT
[#37]
You can have an allergic reaction to any sperm that get spilled.  5-10% of the time, this is the thing that gets the swelling started.  Definitely get a good jock and wear it.  Keeping them up nice and tight keeps swelling down too.

You don't want to have one like mine, we knew I had some existing scar tissue from some congenital hernia repair, so we went the whole knock him out, ER, general anaesthesia route.  One side went fine, the 10 minute in and out just like the office routine.  The other side ended up  with an incision about an inch and a half long and took an hour and a half .  

Frozen peas mold around best, crinkle cut carrots stay cold a lot lot longer.  I was able to go back to work in 4 days, but I basically put things on ice the rest of the time.  Wore the jock two weeks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I told my wife that the doctor said that it was critical not to let pressure build up in the vas deferens that could tear the stitches. It's very important to get 'relieved' a couple of times a day.

No...she didn't buy it unfortunately, but it's always worth a shot.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I told my wife that the doctor said that it was critical not to let pressure build up in the vas deferens that could tear the stitches. It's very important to get 'relieved' a couple of times a day.

No...she didn't buy it unfortunately, but it's always worth a shot.

Not in your case!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#40]
been there...

done that...

(about 15 years ago)

no big deal
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#41]
REALIZE THERE ARE RISKS OF COMPLICATIONS.  I had one done about 2.5 years ago and things are better but still not 100%.  I had lots of pain for about the first 2 years.  Consider other options at least.  Hopefully you'll be one that has no complications.  I'd pay $10,000 if I could wiggle my nose and have it reversed.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:19:11 AM EDT
[#42]
I am not getting cut. I still want to make lots more welfare recipients.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:52:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Sorry your's was a bummer FlyingBrass but I imagine that's pretty uncommon.  Mine was no problem about 25 years ago - still no problem .
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:29:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Like I told my wife at the time .....

But what if my next wife want's kids ?

That was 15 years and 1 wife ago
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:38:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#47]
If I had to do it over again  (which I wouldn't) I would do a "no-scalpel" vasectomy under sedation.  I did not have a good experience;  I got "congestion" and was literally walking bow-legged for 3 months with a variety of sharp pain, dull ache, throbbing pain, on one or both sides.  For the first couple weeks it felt like my balls were going to explode.  I had sharp pain during ejaculation for more than a year afterwards.  I did it in July 2003, I would say I'm about 90-95% now, but it doesn't feel completely right.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

With the six month contraceptive shot available today,  there is NO need, NONE WHATSOEVER,
for you to get a vasectomy.

Guard your nuts and stand your ground.

CJ

Do some research dude. There are medical reasons why some women simply can't use contraceptives.  If the alternative is depending on a diaphram or rubbers, I'll take a quick snip any day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top