Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/24/2005 7:04:00 AM EDT

Just had my 3rd kid...Wife's doctor says she shouldn't have any more.  Is a vasectomy a pretty simple operation?..or are there issues I need to look out for? Frankly, the idea of getting cut "there" is not high on my list of fun ways of spending a summer.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:05:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Great! Thanks for sharing!

Don't forget to post pics
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:05:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I had mine done a few months ago. Very minor surgery with just a bit of discomfort for a day or two.

Everything works the same as before, just firing blanks now.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:05:43 AM EDT
[#3]
<--gets scissors, bottle of tabasco (for wound), bottle of whiskey (for patient), bottle of tequila (for doctor), pages arfcom medics
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:06:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Just talk your wife into "Swallowing Your Kids"! Its cheaper than a Vasectomy and I gurantee its alot painless!
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:06:39 AM EDT
[#5]
had it done about 10 years ago.. wouldn't go back.

only thing is ya gotta shave down there... if the little woman is too, you can turn it into something "special"
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:06:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Very simple.

But the infection my buddy got laid him up for about 9 months........
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:09:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just talk your wife into "Swallowing Your Kids"! Its cheaper than a Vasectomy and I gurantee its alot painless!

And you still have the risk of pregnancy!

It's an outpatient procedure. Pretty simple from what I understand. There are some people that have had bad experiences, but I think the # of tolerable ones outnumber those by a huge margin. I say tolerable because getting your testicles cut open is never a good thing! A guy at my work had it done. He was back to work within a day or 2 and just walked a little funny/slow.

There are a lot of guys on this board that have had it done. I'd like to have it done after 1 or 2 children myself, though I am still single.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:09:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Why doens't the woman get fixed?

ever notice the behaviour of a dog after is got its nuts cut?

Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:11:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Why doens't the woman get fixed?...

more difficult with more risks. and not exactly out-patient (IIRC)
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:13:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Why doens't the woman get fixed?

ever notice the behaviour of a dog after is got its nuts cut?

When a woman gets it done it is a more invasive surgery, and they can be out of commission for up to 6 weeks. Guy gets it done and he is back in a day or two.

I had mine done about a year and a half ago. Honetly I could have done it on my lunch break and been back and finished my shift that night. I don't recommend doing that, but it would have been possible. Just try to avoid heavy lifting and strenuous activity for a couple days and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:13:55 AM EDT
[#11]
A buddy of mine just had it done. He said it was no big deal. Did it on a Friday back to work on Monday.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:15:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I cringe at the thought D:
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:16:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Your voice will change [higher].

You'll go shopping at the mall more.

You'll start wearing flower pattern shirts and wish you could find pants that match.

The heels on your shoes will get higher, in small increments.

You'll start buying "The Best Of Cher" CDs.

War movies will start to be boring and repetitive and don't even get me started on Zombie movies.

Your wife will start looking at you differently and start trying to remember what a "real" man feels like.

But......

your wife won't have anymore kids............

at least not by you!

Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:19:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Your voice will change [higher].

You'll go shopping at the mall more.

You'll start wearing flower pattern shirts and wish you could find pants that match.

The heels on your shoes will get higher, in small increments.

You'll start buying "The Best Of Cher" CDs.

War movies will start to be boring and repetitive and don't even get me started on Zombie movies.

Your wife will start looking at you differently and start trying to remember what a "real" man feels like.

But......

your wife won't have anymore kids............

at least not by you!

Go ahead...blame it on the vasectomy
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:19:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Had my "snip" done last year.  The procedure itself is easy.  Take someone to drive for you, so you can take the "good stuff" they offer.  There is some discomfort after, but with proper meds, it's not too bad.  Some tips:

1.  Get you wife to shave you... very cool.
2.  Take the valium the doc offers... very cool.
3.  Get your prescription filled first thing (we went to eat first, the valium wore off, and I hurt a little)
4.  Get a couple of bags of frozen peas to use as ice packs.  The mold to your stuff better, can be refrozen, and don't get everything wet like ice.
5.  Set up your recliner, gets some DVDs, good books etc (I stole my boys x-box) and enjoy a couple of days sitting on your butt.
6.  Don't try to be tough and do a bunch of physical stuff.
7.  Moan and act like you're in a lot of pain every now and then to get some sympathy from the rest of the family and get them to wait on you hand and foot.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:23:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

My wife's kinda clumsy...I mean like Lucille Ball clumsy
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:26:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Other than growing man-boobs there isn't any side effects.

Shok
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:28:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I had it done about 15 yrs. ago no big deal, my only advice is to follow your Dr.'s instructions to the letter!!! DO NOT DO ANY LIFTING TILL YOU ARE CLEARED TO DO SO!!!

Other than that take it easy and play it up for sympathy points from wifey, collect them later...
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:30:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Get some Ice packs, a recliner and have a "Band of Brothers" marathon
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:31:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Come to Austin and have it done by the man, Dr. Dick Chopp. I shit you not that is his name. One of my best friends had it done and he came home with an Austin Urology T-Shirt that said " You've Been Chopped" on the back.

Dr. Richard Chopp

Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:32:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Voodoo, the best "ICE" is frozen Peas.  Break them up and they will conform to your shape.

There are newer procedures for women now that is PAINLESS.  I just got certified on a procedure called Essure.  We put springs into the fallopian tube through the vagina and uterus.  Outpatient surgery. No bleeding and no pain.

We recheck in 3 months to make sure the tubes are occluded and youre good to go.

http://www.essure.com/consumer/c_homepage.aspx
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:33:53 AM EDT
[#22]

Don't forget: lots of sex after recovery but no unprotected sex for awhile afterwards.  Gotta clean your system out to be sure no swimmers were left behind.

Shok
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:38:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Come to Austin and have it done by the man, Dr. Dick Chopp. I shit you not that is his name. One of my best friends had it done and he came home with an Austin Urology T-Shirt that said " You've Been Chopped" on the back.

Dr. Richard Chopp

Holy shit he's right "Dr. Richard (Dick) Chopp is well known in the Austin community for performing Vasectomies."

As for comments about higher voice and dog behaviour, there's a fucking difference between a vasectomy (snipping the tube that carries sperm out of your nutz) and outright castration (completely removing the nuts such that not only does sperm not flow, neither do any hormones).

Example: my uncle was snipped a long time ago and he's currently serving with his NG unit in the sandbox.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:44:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Had it done 3 yrs ago as a birthday present to my wife  I offered to get her a convertible, but she was please with the vaz.

I've had more discomfort after going to the dentist than I experienced from the big V.  I didn't even need pain meds.

No lifting, just kick back & relax.  Ice packs are your friend.

You will get black & blue around your sack.   You'll have to abstain from self gratification for a week.  After a week you get to enjoy yourself at least daily for a month.  Your wife is required to help
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:46:50 AM EDT
[#25]
My future brother-in-law had it done recently.  He was in some pain for a good 3-4 days, but it was outpatient surgery that he said took no time at all.  

I think the psychological implications are the hardest part to get over.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Don't forget: lots of sex after recovery but no unprotected sex for awhile afterwards.  Gotta clean your system out to be sure no swimmers were left behind.

Shok

Essential for your recovery.  The first wad hurts.  Man up.   Take care of business ASAP.

Forget the valium.  

Anyone else notice an increase in output volume?  My Doc said it's common.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 8:02:49 AM EDT
[#27]
I swelled like a grapefruit on the right side.  Then the suture opened up and got infected.  Hurt like a MF'r.  I would never do that again.  Shave yourself so some big burly male nurse like me does not do it for you!!

Bob RN
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#28]
sitting on a bag of peas worked well, the worst part was the shots to numb the area. I fucked up and looked when the needle was going into my sack!
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

What's wrong with floral pattern shirts?
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
sitting on a bag of peas worked well, the worst part was the shots to numb the area. I fucked up and looked when the needle was going into my sack!

Link Posted: 6/24/2005 8:10:47 AM EDT
[#31]
OK, so I have not had that surgery, but I did have a tumor removed from there.  All I can say is this.....

If you have the same tape up job I had, get your ass shaved also.  I guess the Doc's thought it would be pretty funny to only shave where they needed to cut, but then to run medical tape up my crack.  After having to have my wife remove the tape, I can stronly say I would never , never, never, never recommend someone getting their butt crack / butthole waxed.

I have never felt/screamed like that ever and I feel sick thinking about it.  And it has been 5 years.  I don't know what hurt so bad, having the hair ripped out or the top layer of skin on my butthole, but i just recommend the less hair the better.  

Be prepared.....

Dan
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 8:14:31 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Voodoo, the best "ICE" is frozen Peas.  Break them up and they will conform to your shape.

There are newer procedures for women now that is PAINLESS.  I just got certified on a procedure called Essure.  We put springs into the fallopian tube through the vagina and uterus.  Outpatient surgery. No bleeding and no pain.

We recheck in 3 months to make sure the tubes are occluded and youre good to go.

http://www.essure.com/consumer/c_homepage.aspx

Sounds easy but my wife doesn't want to be near a doctor's office for awhile...Besides the co-pay for a vasectomy is going to run $30 if done in a Doctor's office to $125 if done in a Hospital...that's hard to beat
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 8:22:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Its a piece of cake dont worry about a thing,you will be uncomfortable for a day or two!!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 8:23:51 AM EDT
[#34]
I had it done back in april.

My experience was not as good as most. In fact it was a real painful long recovery.

I did all the research. Read everything I could find on it.  Talked to 5 or 6 guys I know who had it done. All good so far. Went and had a consultation w/the urologist. All good. Hell, it was sounding like fun!

The procedure went well. Got an injection of valium and it was over in about 20 minutes. Jocked up the boys and went home to 2 days of rest and frozen peas.

Simple huh?

Not even. I followed the Dr.'s instruction to the letter, 3rd day my testicles swelled up like oranges and I was in pain. Especially when I would stand upright. It felt like my balls were being pulled off.

Well back to the urologist I went. He was amazed that I had not gone to the emergency room. Well long story short he said I had epididymitis (?). He gave me a shot of something and some painkillers and laid me out of work for 5 days. I asked what happened, and the Dr. told me it just happens sometimes in 3% of cases.

3%, don't I feel lucky.

Well I'm better now. Shooting blanks and all. My balls are still pissed off at me for what I did to them, so they won't hang as low as they used to.

That's my story.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 8:27:40 AM EDT
[#35]
1) There can be complications including your nuts swelling up to the size of softballs.
2) I know of two people that have "vasectomy babies"
3) There is more information coming out saying a vasectomy is bad on your long-term health  <-- most important I think

And last but not least:

4) There is now a non-invasive outpatient procedure for women called "Essure"

www.essure.com/consumer/c_homepage.aspx

Finally, women and their partners considering permanent birth control have a new option. It's called Essure.

Unlike tubal ligation and vasectomy, there are no incisions or punctures to the body. Essure takes about 35 minutes, does not require general anesthesia, and provides birth control without hormones.

Best of all, you should be on your way about 45 minutes after the procedure.

But you just go ahead and let someone cut your nut sack up
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 8:57:57 AM EDT
[#36]
I have decided that it would be a good idea from me to get vas too. We have three kids and as far as I am concerned, we are done having more. More importantly, we are sponsoring an Au-Pair later this summer, thus the procedure could really come in handy.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 9:09:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Had it done a year ago.  Nio big deal, and the one side wasn't numb when he first went in.  

A quick hollar to him that I could feel what's doin' and he loaded me up so I felt NOTHIG after that.  

Done on a Friday went back to work on Tuesday (Monday wasn't necessary, but I decided I needed the extended break from work)
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
OK, so I have not had that surgery, but I did have a tumor removed from there.  All I can say is this.....

If you have the same tape up job I had, get your ass shaved also.  I guess the Doc's thought it would be pretty funny to only shave where they needed to cut, but then to run medical tape up my crack.  After having to have my wife remove the tape, I can stronly say I would never , never, never, never recommend someone getting there butt crack / butthole waxed.

I have never felt/screamed like that ever and I feel sick thinking about it.  And it has been 5 years.  I don't know what hurt so bad, having the hair ripped out or the top layer of skin on my butthole, but i just recommend the less hair the better.  

Be prepared.....

Dan

Link Posted: 6/24/2005 9:14:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Ice will be your best friend.

Oh yeah, ice, ice,ice.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#40]
BAD EXPERIENCE......

I guess the doc didn't wait for me to be numb enough. He made first incision which was ok....however, when he reached in my sack with a wire clothes hanger looking thing and yanked the tube out to cut it, I thought 10,000 volts went through my body.

I shit you not, it F'ing hurt like you can't even imagine. I instantly felt nausea, got cold sweats and almost passed out lying there on the table.

The other side was fine - I guess the medication worked.

Point to learn - make sure he waits long enought between numbing shot and cutting
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Just had my 3rd kid...Wife's doctor says she shouldn't have any more.  Is a vasectomy a pretty simple operation?..or are there issues I need to look out for? Frankly, the idea of getting cut "there" is not high on my list of fun ways of spending a summer.

Very simple. Mine was a breeze. Minor tenderness for about a week. My brother had some discomfort for a bit longer with his. Best part is that after you're all done and checked for blanks you can just let it soak. You'll find that the Mrs really relaxes and is far more amenable to "variations", now that it's all fun and games and getting knocked up is not an issue.
My wife's pregnancy with our daughter was a horror, with future pregancies predicted to be worse due to a particular condition. Things were really tense in the bedroom until I finally decided to go for the snip. After the "all clear" I discovered that women can have a level of "horny" that is often unappreciated by lesser men than me.
Go for it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

They slice your scrotum near the root, then hold it together with a bandaid. By the time the bleeding stops your tallywacker will be a shriveled shadow of it's former self.

Oh, yeah; it hurts like hell too.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 6/24/2005 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

If you have the same tape up job I had, get your ass shaved also.  I guess the Doc's thought it would be pretty funny to only shave where they needed to cut, but then to run medical tape up my crack.  After having to have my wife remove the tape, I can stronly say I would never , never, never, never recommend someone getting their butt crack / butthole waxed.

Be prepared.....

Dan

Link Posted: 6/24/2005 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They slice your scrotum near the root, then hold it together with a bandaid. By the time the bleeding stops your tallywacker will be a shriveled shadow of it's former self.

Oh, yeah; it hurts like hell too.

Hope this helps.

Ah Jeez..Thanks a whole hell of a lot!!..the room will probably be cold too
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#45]
You could always opt for the redneck vasectomy - All it takes is a cherry bomb & a coke can
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#46]
I got mine done about 2 years ago and was fine by Monday. Just make sure you whine complain for the whole weekend so your wife takes care of you. Milk it to the end

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My wife's kinda clumsy...I mean like Lucille Ball clumsy

That could save you a trip to the Doc's....

Oh wait!  It could be the other way around
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 5:35:36 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Dr. Richard Chopp

To heck with Dr. Chopp, I'm calling his associate, Dr. Steven Harderman to see what his speciality is!
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Have it done on a Friday. No matter how good you might feel, do nothing but sit on your arse being waited on for the wekend by the Mrs. & watch movies.

One of the best parts is cleaning out the pipes before you submit your sample to see if you're clean. The doctor told me I needed 6 to 10 before I collected the sample. I "forgot" the number he said and told the wife the doc wanted 100 Some of the fondest memories I've ever had.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#50]
I had one 20+ years ago, not that big of a deal really.  Just don't tell the doc jokes while he is cutting you.  I had my doc laughing so hard that he had to stop and tell me to shut up before he "cut my balls clean off".  I STFU real quick when he said that!

BTW vinyl gloves filled with crushed ice and tied at the top work very well to chill things out after the procedure.  Just wrap the fingers around what's left of your jewels and you are good to go.  Good luck!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top