Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/2/2015 2:32:44 PM EDT
Do you prefer the redder/pinker variety (which I assume has a higher meat content) or the paler, greyish looking variety (which I assume has a higher fat content)?

For example --

Red variety:

Pale grey variety:

The brand I've always gone with is a red variety but recently I tried a new brand which happens to be the pale grey variety (a dollar cheaper too -- more fat vs. meat).  I was appalled at first, and didn't think I would like it (I didn't care for another pale variety when I'd had it years ago) but after I cooked it up I found it rather tasty.  The higher fat content allowed it to fry better without burning, and the volume of grease left over was almost like that of bacon.  It's juicier as well and tender.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#1]
gray might also be due to additional filler.  That said, I enjoy scrappel and head sausage.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:39:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Here toy go
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#3]
What is that, meatless tofu sausage?? Gross.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#4]
No preference although I like to buy Gunnoe's and Gwaltney as they are VA based companies (I'm pretty sure Gunnoe's is made in VA as well)
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Good ol' Jimmy Dean for me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This or Tennessee pride. Used to be Bob Evans but theirs is so lean, there's not enough grease to make gravy. And, I ask you, What is sausage without gravy?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This or Tennessee pride. Used to be Bob Evans but theirs is so lean, there's not enough grease to make gravy. And, I ask you, What is sausage without gravy?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Almost as bad as biscuits without gravy.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Skip the roll.
Go to a meat counter where they actually grind the pork and mix the seasoning. You'll be much happier.
I don't actually blend my own seasoning, I use a premix.
Fall is coming, I can tell by my sausage sales, they will triple in the next few weeks.
The grey stuff looks pretty ugly.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:59:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No preference although I like to buy Gunnoe's and Gwaltney as they are VA based companies (I'm pretty sure Gunnoe's is made in VA as well)
View Quote

Don't forget Jamestown Brand (hot).
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gunnoe's is my regular brand (it is the red variety) along with Odom's TN Pride (another similar red variety).  The new one tried is Jamestown Brand made in Smithfield.  It's a pale grey variety but I'm liking it.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Did you say 'Gray' Meat?

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Swaggerty sausage is best breakfast sausage. It is cheap too at sams club.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#13]
as long as its 16 ounces. no sausage thread is complete until Randy gets his rant on.

BTW- Blue and Gold is the best sausage out there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Gunnoe's is my regular brand (it is the red variety) along with Odom's TN Pride (another similar red variety).  The new one tried is Jamestown Brand made in Smithfield.  It's a pale grey variety but I'm liking it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Mom has been getting Jamestown Brand hot ever since I can remember. I use Jimmy Dean hot for making gravy but Jamestown Brand for slices to go with eggs.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I like them all, but Conecuh is one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:17:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Did you say 'Gray' Meat?

http://users.rcn.com/bvdrangs/images/Scrapple2.jpg

View Quote

I love me some scrapple.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote
That's a funny looking presto log.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:18:45 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote
Oh man I could go for a chub of scrapple in the freezer right now.

You can't get that here.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:19:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Jimmy Dean roll or Swaggerty's roll
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
Another vote for Conecuh. Really good stuff.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yep, I like to buy VA sausage and bacon.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#22]
No sausage discussion is complete without mentioning goetta.

If you've not tried it, you're missing out.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#23]
That and Jimmy Dean sausage with sage

Quoted:
Swaggerty sausage is best breakfast sausage. It is cheap too at sams club.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:42:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

My Mom has been getting Jamestown Brand hot ever since I can remember. I use Jimmy Dean hot for making gravy but Jamestown Brand for slices to go with eggs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd grown up on the Gunnoe and Odoms brands and never really ventured outside my comfort zone until now, but I'm glad I did.  Jamestown Brand was a good find.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://www.seriouseats.com/images/2013/08/20130926-263971-Goetta-Raposo.jpg
View Quote

That looks like gourmet scrapple.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Big link sausage is the best.  As a kid I remember dressing a hog in my grandparents basement.  I had to scrape the inside of the intestines then slide it on the hand grinder and feed the meat mixed with red pepper into the intestines.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Best link sausage I ever had came from a small place in Dunn NC. 2 huge links on a biscuit, best I ever had
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:18:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.seriouseats.com/images/2013/08/20130926-263971-Goetta-Raposo.jpg

Nothing like scrapple, really. Sausage with pin oats and some different seasoning.

It's a love or hate kind of thing. The scouts loved it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
as long as its 16 ounces. no sausage thread is complete until Randy gets his rant on.

https://youtu.be/f4RNb3tt0LM

BTW- Blue and Gold is the best sausage out there.
View Quote

Ha, I came to post this. Must be a big 'ole family.

Jimmy Dean Original cooked in Wright bacon grease.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Skip the roll.
Go to a meat counter where they actually grind the pork and mix the seasoning. You'll be much happier.
I don't actually blend my own seasoning, I use a premix.
Fall is coming, I can tell by my sausage sales, they will triple in the next few weeks.
The grey stuff looks pretty ugly.
View Quote

This^^^^  I grind and season my own. I have been making my own sausage for decades. Have about 6 different recipes/flavors.  It's easy to make and beats the shit out of any pre packaged store stuff.

My daughter got me a new industrial strength stainless steel grinder for Christmas last year. It grinds an eight pound pork shoulder in a couple of minutes.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Pork sausage is a godsend for carnivores on a budget. Plain, with toppings, or as the base of a righteous meatza, it always delivers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Worst part about living here in the PNW. No good breakfast meats or hams. Period......
I don't want artisan organic champagne fed pork with hints of marijuana. I want greasy, spicy as shit sausage that makes excellent gravy. Jimmy Dean is okay but I know there's better stuff out there.

This Virginia boy misses all the foods from Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, and Tennessee.

Anyone have a recommendation for a place that does Internet orders?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Pork sausage is a godsend for carnivores on a budget. Plain, with toppings, or as the base of a righteous meatza, it always delivers.
View Quote
Damn right. Cheaper than hamburger most of the time and much more satisfying.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#34]
uummmm. sausage, heavy on the sage, done to a turn, bacon and country ham on th' side.

I sometimes feel bad for all the non-Southerners out there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Worst part about living here in the PNW. No good breakfast meats or hams. Period......I don't want artisan organic champagne fed pork with hints of marijuana. I want greasy, spicy as shit sausage that makes excellent gravy. Jimmy Dean is okay but I know there's better stuff out there.

This Virginia boy misses all the foods from Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, and Tennessee.

View Quote

Here ya go:
http://www.conecuhsausage.com/prodbycat.aspx?cid=4

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Worst part about living here in the PNW. No good breakfast meats or hams. Period......I don't want artisan organic champagne fed pork with hints of marijuana. I want greasy, spicy as shit sausage that makes excellent gravy. Jimmy Dean is okay but I know there's better stuff out there.

View Quote

You gotta go to the mom and pop butcher shops man. No more store meat.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Here ya go:
http://www.conecuhsausage.com/prodbycat.aspx?cid=4Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here ya go:

We agree.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

You gotta go to the mom and pop butcher shops man. No more store meat.
View Quote
Nothing doing. Been to numerous places locally looking for good ground pork sausage.

I can get great steaks and awesome cased sausages but a good country ham, chops, or ground sausage?

Nope.

Too lean, spices are fucked, or not ground correctly. This area sucks when it comes to pork.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yes!  

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I've been buying lately.  My preference is Register's, but it's local/regional and hasn't been on the shelves very consistently lately for some reason.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:25:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dude that sucks

Click here and fix yourself up.

http://www.edwardsvaham.com/

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

We eat a ton of pork. Usually get it for under 2 bucks/pound. Chops, loin, country ribs, ham.

Haven't had beef in forever. I refuse to pay the price.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Best breakfast sausage I've ever had was at a place I stopped at in Schulenburg, TX.  Made by the family that owned the place, with a very nice daughter who worked at the grill.  If I'd had been a single, younger man...   Man could she could cook!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

We agree.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here ya go:

We agree.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Conecuh is the only correct answer when the question is breakfast, although it works well grilled on a bun, cooked in red beans and rice, etc.  I can remember when it was only local in that area.  My grandmother would visit her home town near Andalusia and bring back pounds of this sausage.  I worked in a grocery store near Mobile in high school and college and remember when it was finally available in this area.  We would get pallets of it and still run out before the next truck came in.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Pick up a pound or two.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#46]
None better than this!

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:57:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
None better than this!

View Quote

Ain't nothing wrong with SPAM. Back when we were poor, mom used to make fried rice and other things with SPAM as that was the cheapest meat we could afford. Still have a taste for it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#48]

There is fail, uber fail, and your post somehow tops that.

This kicks the shit out of Spam when you don't want sausage or bacon.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#50]
I miss real sausage and biscuits.

My great aunt was a master of them.  We used to live near her in East TN.

The sausage was made by my great uncle.  He worked at times at a local slaughterhouse his family owned.

I never was crazy about link sausage.  Patties for me!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top