Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/13/2016 12:19:42 PM EDT
I think this summers family vacation is going to be Missouri area, and was wondering if ya'll had some good advice on things to do/see there: wife,myself and 12, 8, and 2 year olds. We've started planning vacations around MLB parks, this year including a Cards and Royals game is why the location choice.

Ideas?

Maybe there is a better forum than GD for this question but there are always such informative and non-sarcastic replies here.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe ask Melissa Click, I hear she's got a lot of time for travel now.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:21:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Dont miss out on Branson! Yeeee haw!
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Grew up in south Missouri... All that is there is nature stuff.

There is Branson if you like shows a couple theme parks. Very family friendly.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:22:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dont miss out on Branson! Yeeee haw!
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO is a lot of fun.
http://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park

Also, canoeing and kayaking on Elk River in southwest MO (the Noel area) is a great time
http://www.riverranchresort.com/

ETA- I guess these aren't really in the area you will be.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Summer in MO is best enjoyed on the water, whether on a lake or a river, and having a 2yr old along might limit your options.  Which city are you going to for the baseball game?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Go to the City Museum if you end up in St Louis.  Your kids will love it and it's also fun for adults!  They also have a bar if you want to grab a drink.  It's basically junk sculptures/art but everything is basically open to be climbed around on.  It's a really fun way to spend an afternoon and isn't far from the stadium.

The science center in STL is pretty cool too and if I recall there isn't an admission fee.

Be aware that there are metal detectors in use if you plan on going into the Arch and are carrying.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a boat on Tablerock, enjoy paying the high rental if you decide on that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I spent every summer in Eminence and Summersville, tooling around the Ozarks.  No trip would be complete without going there.  

Also, Busch Stadium is the best atmosphere in MLB.  Go see my Cards kick some ass. If you go to STL, Eating at any of the Hill's local restaurants is a must.

IMHO, Branson was probably better in the 70's, when Merle and Conway were still touring through there.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:39:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Neat museums in KC. Steamboat Arabia, WWI, Airline History, TWA museum. Catch a game, eat BBQ.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:41:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Worlds of Fun is a big amusement park in KC. It's only about 15 miles from the ballpark. We've also got a minor league team, the T-Bones, who play in a really nice ballpark on the west side, by the NASCAR track. There's a big outlet mall, and a Cabela's right there! We've got the WWI museum and Negro Leagues baseball museum downtown, a great art museum that's free, and all sorts of other historic and cultural sites.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#12]
There are many springs to be seen that flow in to current river.  A float trip down the current would be fun.  We like to take folks to blue springs.  It is just about a 1/4 mile walk from where you park, at the water is beautiful.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Like others have said some of the most fun that can be had are on float trips southern MO  rivers. May want to avoid the weekends if you're with the family. Can get pretty wild.
Table rock lake and lake of the Ozarks are also great times.
Tons of things to do in Branson.
As far as KC theres Worlds of Fun/ Oceans of Fun, WWI museum, Top Golf which is really fun if you're into golfing at all
Don't forget the BBQ I recommend Gates
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#14]
You can always take a day trip down To Eureka Springs, AR and see all the LGBT and make sure its a diversity weekend. Fun for all. The kids will LOVE it!! IF you hear banjos playing pop mags and driver faster!!
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Come visit the Missouri Hometown forum
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There are many springs to be seen that flow in to current river.  A float trip down the current would be fun.  We like to take folks to blue springs.  It is just about a 1/4 mile walk from where you park, at the water is beautiful.
View Quote

Summer isn't summer without the current and jack's fork
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#18]
May I suggest a tour of the University of Missouri?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:47:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Stay out of  St Louis  city as much as possible. ..
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:51:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Go to the City Museum if you end up in St Louis.  Your kids will love it and it's also fun for adults!  They also have a bar if you want to grab a drink.  It's basically junk sculptures/art but everything is basically open to be climbed around on.  It's a really fun way to spend an afternoon and isn't far from the stadium.

The science center in STL is pretty cool too and if I recall there isn't an admission fee.

Be aware that there are metal detectors in use if you plan on going into the Arch and are carrying.
View Quote

Yep, you should do all that stuff. I live in KC and took the kids there for a weekend trip summer 2014 and we had a blast. When you go to the Arch, be sure and take a riverboat tour. It's fun and relaxing.

The Budweiser brewery tour was cooler than I thought it was going to be. We tried to hit the zoo but it was crowded as fuck and very hot that day so we skipped it. Be sure to go to The Hill and eat some toasted ravioli!
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen to that.

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#22]
if you go to st. louis and like trains, the  museum of transportation is very, very cool.

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Pay your respects to the Gentle Giant

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 3:27:04 PM EDT
[#24]
If you do go to St. Louis hit Pappys smokehouse. I hate the lines but it is totally worth the wait. They have a safe secure parking lot and it is great food.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yep, you should do all that stuff. I live in KC and took the kids there for a weekend trip summer 2014 and we had a blast. When you go to the Arch, be sure and take a riverboat tour. It's fun and relaxing.

The Budweiser brewery tour was cooler than I thought it was going to be. We tried to hit the zoo but it was crowded as fuck and very hot that day so we skipped it. Be sure to go to The Hill and eat some toasted ravioli!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anthonino's baby!
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Big Louie's in St Robert.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Kharn

View Quote

Uranus, MO has pretty much everything you seek.

https://uranusmissouri.com/

I 2nd Silver Dollar City, my parents have been taking me there since I was 5 and I still enjoy it as an adult.

Also in Branson is Top of the Rock and Big Cedar Lodge. Both are definitely worth checking oit.

World War One museum in Kansas City is worth your time of you're headed up that way.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

quart of charcoal lighter fluid should do it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:14:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Missouri has two seasons. Humid and too hot, humid and too cold. You can keep it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:14:44 PM EDT
[#30]
You could head across the river to Alton IL.  There is the river road going from Grafton to Alton very senic and lot of Eagles. You could see Robert Wadlo statue, Piasa Bird. Confederate prison. Lovejoy monument. Military academy where Col Paul Tibbets went ect. Lot of historic stuff.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#31]
The St Louis zoo and the magic house in St Louis would be fun for the kids.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You could head across the river to Alton IL.  There is the river road going from Grafton to Alton very senic and lot of Eagles. You could see Robert Wadlo statue, Piasa Bird. Confederate prison. Lovejoy monument. Military academy where Col Paul Tibbets went ect. Lot of historic stuff.
View Quote

You failed to mention Fast Eddie's.  Alton Fail
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:45:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is taking kids? He would have to tie them up outside!
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#35]
If you are into wine, check out Hermann

Lots of cool things to do there and some decent wines. Beautiful little town

http://visithermann.com/
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I think this summers family vacation is going to be Missouri area, and was wondering if ya'll had some good advice on things to do/see there: wife,myself and 12, 8, and 2 year olds. We've started planning vacations around MLB parks, this year including a Cards and Royals game is why the location choice.

Ideas?

Maybe there is a better forum than GD for this question but there are always such informative and non-sarcastic replies here.
View Quote

People I work with like to go to Branson. But I am not much on Country Music.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:07:16 PM EDT
[#37]
If you are going through St. Louis, DO NOT miss the City Museum.  One of the coolest places ever.    The Arch is also worth doing once in a lifetime.  Head south west after that and find some nature.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Johnson Shut-ins State Park is really cool especially for swimming, kind of off the beaten path. But Elephant Rock and Taum Sauk mountain are also close by.
Float the Current or the Jacks Fork rivers. Visit Big Spring Park in Van  Buren.
Come on over to Springfield, go to the original Bass Pro Shops store that has an NRA gun museum inside.
Table Rock Lake is great, I won't go near Lake of the Ozarks.
Branson is what it is, and it is cool, especially for kids. So go ahead and act like a tourist, spend some money. I like the Branson Landing, the Veterans Museum is a must see. Silver Dollar City is fun, once...
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If you do go to St. Louis hit Pappys smokehouse. I hate the lines but it is totally worth the wait. They have a safe secure parking lot and it is great food.
View Quote

Pappys is good but SugarFire is better
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wut?

Worst BBQ in St. Louis.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Wut?

Worst BBQ in St. Louis.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wut?

Worst BBQ in St. Louis.  

Real Missouri BBQ comes from a random old black guy on a corner with a smoker.

Get yourself a whole plate of pork steaks for about $7.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This guy knows what he is talking about.  Although, nowadays I spend the lion's share of my weekends on the Gasconade in a jet boat.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:39:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Kharn

View Quote

Make sure to stop in at the Uranus Fudgery next door.

(apparently it is pretty good fudge)
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#45]

See all the culture that Rolla has to offer.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:17:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Thanks for all the great input. No better way to get a plan together than advice from here!

Any advice on best sections to sit at Kauffman and Busch Stadium?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Lake of the Ozarks
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Thanks for all the great input. No better way to get a plan together than advice from here!

Any advice on best sections to sit at Kauffman and Busch Stadium?
View Quote
If it's going to be later in the summer, and a night game, sit on the 3rd-base side at The K. You won't be in the sun.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wut?

Worst BBQ in St. Louis.  

Perry fosters in Warrensburg use to be damn good.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#50]
If you go to Branson; make sure to go see the Dixie Stampede show.  You and your kids will love it!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top