Page / 2
Posted: 9/30/2011 9:48:43 PM EDT
Holy Shit

http://youtu.be/uQITWbAaDx0
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:53:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#2]
He doesn't need any dive weights, his giant brass balls are more than enough.

Yes, I know it's edited.  Regardless.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#3]
nuh-uh
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#4]
there's a hole in the bottom of the sea
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#5]
love this video

the sound track to this video is awesome and very fitting

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Hell NO.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#7]
wow
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:40:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I bet this is ripped off for a Bond movie action sequence within 10 years.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:43:02 PM EDT
[#9]

It's cool that they kept the photographers and their bubbles out of most all scenes.  Makes me wonder how many separate dives it was.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#10]
We need to just make this video a sticky.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:46:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Incredible.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:22:57 PM EDT
[#12]
What's the deal with the PVC pipe running all the way down the edge? Is it a sewer outlet? Was this filmed in mexico?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:36:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Best I have ever done is grab sand from the bottom at 80 feet. I can stay at 30' for about a min. when spearfishing.

These guys have reached 600+ feet  and over 17 min static.

How the hell these people  do it I don't know,I takes everything I have and every trick I know to get 1/10 of what some people do.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:45:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

there's a hole in the bottom of the sea

There's a hoooollllle, there's a hole, there's a hole in the bottom of the sea!

LMAO!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:20:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Fuck that shit.

No fucking way.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:21:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I bet this guy clanks when he walks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:25:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I've done a bounce dive (with air)  off the Bimini Wall down to 318 feet.  Straight down and right back up.  It was scary yet fun at the same time.  I would never do it again.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:26:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

How the hell these people  do it I don't know,I takes everything I have and every trick I know to get 1/10 of what some people do.

Applies to a lot of aspects of life right?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:33:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Cool, and creepy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:35:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've done a bounce dive (with air)  off the Bimini Wall down to 318 feet.  Straight down and right back up.  It was scary yet fun at the same time.  I would never do it again.

My ears cry even thinking about that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:37:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Call me an idiot, but how does he sink so quickly (my fat floats me ) and, really, how long can a person hold their breath anyway?

Awesome video.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:39:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Call me an idiot, but how does he sink so quickly (my fat floats me ) and, really, how long can a person hold their breath anyway?

Awesome video.

He is wearing weights.

Some can hold their breath for 5-6 min. I think the WR is over ten.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:45:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome video.

He is wearing weights.

Some can hold their breath for 5-6 min. I think the WR is over ten.

Ten minutes holding my breath.....oh wow.

I just sat here and held mine for one minute. At the :50 mark I was hurting (inhale, exhale a little every 10-15 seconds) and suppose I could go 1:20 or so if my life depended on it.

Ten minutes. wow.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:46:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can equalize going down to 33 feet, you can equalize all the way down to 300+.  No biggie.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:47:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Is this real??

ETA:  Just read where it says this is a fictional artistic thing.  

Is it possible?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:53:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Is this real??

ETA:  Just read where it says this is a fictional artistic thing.  

Is it possible?

Do a YouTube search of Pipin Freediving.  It is very much for real.  These guys free dive to incredible depths.  They go much deeper when using a sled.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:58:20 AM EDT
[#27]
I wonder if he has a pocket rebreather or two in his pouch. I dove off the Caymans several times (with air) and right at the walls, the depth goes to 6,000'. First time I dove it I hit 150' without even knowing, except that the alarm went off on my dive computer. The water is so clear that depth perception escapes you.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:07:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I wonder if he has a pocket rebreather or two in his pouch. I dove off the Caymans several times (with air) and right at the walls, the depth goes to 6,000'. First time I dove it I hit 150' without even knowing, except that the alarm went off on my dive computer. The water is so clear that depth perception escapes you.

It has been a while since I updated my dive gear, but I don't think a pocket rebreather exists.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:18:23 AM EDT
[#29]
How about no.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:26:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Between each scene he would get air from the camera guys alternate mouthpiece.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:29:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can equalize going down to 33 feet, you can equalize all the way down to 300+.  No biggie.

I have to take sudafed the night before I dive or I have trouble with my left ear. I haven't gotten below 100 yet.  I will next summer though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:31:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Something that I think everyone is missing:

No bubbles from the cameraman on the way down
  Credits mention cameraman is a woman freediver as well
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:32:48 AM EDT
[#33]
The cool thing though is it was done in several takes, also shot by a freediver. I think I saw it posted here about a year ago. Really cool!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:33:04 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How does it work?    I feel like someone stuck a nail in my ear if I touch the bottom of a 18' pool

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:42:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

He doesn't need any dive weights, his giant brass balls are more than enough.

Yes, I know it's edited.  Regardless.

I'd like to see the unedited version to see his breathing

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:43:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Nicely done and edited.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:47:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How does it work?    I feel like someone stuck a nail in my ear if I touch the bottom of a 18' pool

Plug your nose, hold your breath and gently blow until the pressure in your ears equalizes.  Your good for another atmosphere.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:48:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some people can just swallow, others can wiggle their jaw, I think most of us, including me, have to close our mouths, pinch our noses and exhale. I do it every few feet.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:50:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some people can just swallow, others can wiggle their jaw, I think most of us, including me, have to close our mouths, pinch our noses and exhale. I do it every few feet.

I am able to equalize by moving my jaw a bit back and forth.  Rarely do I need to use the pinch method.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:51:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am able to equalize by moving my jaw a bit back and forth.  Rarely do I need to use the pinch method.

I hate you.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:08:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate you.

Join the crowd.  They have a grill and are making margarita's back there somewhere.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:09:33 AM EDT
[#42]
As a kid I could hold my breath better than most - still I don't think I ever pushed it over 2:30.  I am certified scuba - but preferred skin.  That said, my ears did not.  Got to the point I was at the doctor after almost every day diving.  I think it was a combination of 2 issues, one of which I have learned how to control.  The other was getting water in my inner ear, which really sucks.

Regardless, I have only skin dived once (honeymoon) in quite a few years.  It was vastly disappointing - I chose poorly.   I really should have chosen a scuba dive and left the tanks in the boat.

videos look neat - but I would never try it.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:12:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Thanks Dan_Gray & DV8 for responses,  I'll have to give it a try next summer

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Thanks Dan_Gray & DV8 for responses,  I'll have to give it a try next summer

Nothing else like it man. Sometimes I like to drop down to the edge of where I can really see the sun light, and just hover staring up, watching the bubbles. It's a lot easier if you can do it on bottom.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:15:12 AM EDT
[#45]
awsome!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#46]
The video may have been shot in a few takes, but it was still done using breath hold or free diving for both the diver and the camera person.

I don't think i saw any SCUBA anywhere in the video and it would have been very easy to see rising up the hole.

The divers are also moving to fast up and down it the water  for a SCUBA diver to film. When free diving you are not limited by the issues a person breathing compressed air does. You can decend as fast as you like on ether, preety much as fast as you can equalize you ears. It's the going up that becomes a problem. On SCUBA you can go up at around 60' a min. About as fast as your bubbles rise. Most half that to 30' a min. Then there is saftey stops and all sorts of other stuff that limits a SCUBA diver. When you hold your breath these rules don't apply.  Have put on two 7mm wet suits before and strapped on like 60 pounds. Let go of the boat and hit the bottom at 60' in about 10 seconds. Drop the weights (on a rope) and ROCKET to  the surface. Good fun.

Thats how they set the unlimited breath hold depth records. They hold on to a weighted sled and fly down a wire. At whatever depth they get to they grab a depth marker and inflate a lift bag and fly back to the surface.    I think the record is well over 600 feet.

Rebreathers or breathing off SCUBA was not used in this video, it would have been deadly.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:00:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I battle with the flight doc every year during my flight physical.  

Doc: Let me see you valsalva.
DG84: Okay, I just did.
Doc: I didn't see it, do it again.
DG84: There.
Doc: Nope, do it again
DG84:  Did it again, I swear, my ears are popping.
Doc: I still don't see it.
DG84: ***Holds nose, closes eyes, and blows as hard as I can.***
Doc: There ya go.
DG84:  Yeah, I did that the first time.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#49]
I would do that in a heart beat...
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something that I think everyone is missing:

No bubbles from the cameraman on the way down
  Credits mention cameraman is a woman freediver as well

No bubbles just means the camera person is using a rebreather, which doesn't vent air, it scrubs off the co2 and recharges it from an o2 tank. The mouthpiece is usually bulky since it has an incoming and outgoing line.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top