User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Um yeah. Fuck no....
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to do something like this while night scuba diving.

The lake had a wall that dropped 105 ft straight down (when the lake level was up).

Alone, with the light off, in the dark, I'd get my back to the wall just under the surface, let all the air out of the BC, exhale and kick off, out into a free fall position.  After a fall rate was established, I'd start shallow breathing.  In the first few feet the mask would squeeze the face, the ears would get differential pressure and I'd often have to reach over and pinch the nose to equalize the ears and, of course, let some air out into the mask.  As depth increased the wet suit compressed and became less buoyant, so the fall speed increased.  You could feel the water going by, as you fell, it's speed increasing.  When you passed through a thermocline, it would take your breath away, you had to force yourself to breathe again.  There were two or three thermoclines.

I was hoping to land flat on the mud plain below and not on a rusted out car or lawn mower.  Also I was hoping the mask and regulator would not be torn away from impact.  And, hoping the mud would not clog the diaphragm on the regulator.  

You don't know when you will hit and what will happen when you do.  

Whump, I'd land on the mud and with a big breath and some air into the BC, be able to rise from it.  

When I did this I got to experience terror, it is much better than just lowly fear.  

Later, out of the water and getting out of the wet suit, I felt extremely alive and extremely good.  

Life it good!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#3]
NOPE!

BTW, what make of dive watch is he wearing?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Very addicting sport.
I kinda started getting into it in Hawaii.

Your breath hold improves VERY quickly till about 6 minutes.  You keep pushing it.  Death comes easy.  Its almost like a very bad drug addiction.  You start off with friends.  Then you are doing it by yourself.  Then you are doing it by yourself at night.  Then you realize you have a problem.  
Its a great feeling, though.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top