Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/10/2006 9:17:42 AM EDT
and the cops are swarming the place-it's on right now.

HH
-------------------------------------------------------------

One Hostage Still Held in Florida Bank Standoff
Tuesday, January 10, 2006

PHOTOS

Click image to enlarge

KISSIMMEE, Fla. — Two suspected robbers fled a bank this evening where they had held hostages and are now trapped inside a car with their one remaining hostage.

Authorities say police threw some sort of explosive device as the robbers ran out the door and jumped into the car of a bank employee.

Police say they flattened the tires on the car and that the robbers, believed to be a man and a woman, are inside the vehicle with their hostage, hours after two other captives were released.

A SWAT team from the Osceola County Sheriff's Office has surrounded the Mercantile Bank a mile west of the theme park.

The standoff began at about 9:30 a.m. and stretched into the evening, snarling traffic in the tourist corridor after deputies cordoned off the area.

As a result, several families in town for Disney visits were stuck in the area hotels and nearby restaurants were all but deserted.

Lizasuain said none of the released hostages were hurt, and the suspects have said they don't intend to harm anyone. She said at least one of the robbers was armed, but did not specify a weapon.

(Story continues below)

ADVERTISEMENTSAdvertise Here  

The released hostages, two women and a man, were let go hours apart — the first woman after the robbers panicked when deputies arrived so quickly after the robbery, Lizasuain said.

The man was released about three hours later in exchange for cigarettes, and the second woman was released just before 3 p.m. after deputies agreed to back their vehicles a few feet away from the bank, Lizasuain said.

The remaining hostage was a female employee. Lizasuain said the suspects wanted deputies to open up roads for her release, but that request was denied.

Lizasuain said the released hostages were shaken, but recovering, and negotiations were still progressing.

Julie Flores, the front desk clerk at a Quality Inn within sight of the bank, said several guests were getting restless after being stuck inside much of the day. She said families weren't confined to their rooms, but couldn't leave the hotel after police shut down the area.

Sam Hamade, manager at Giordano's Pizza across the street from the bank, said his store couldn't even make its scheduled 10 a.m. opening because roads were already closed off.

"People are calling for deliveries, and we cannot deliver," he said, adding that the shutdown cost an estimated $12,000-$13,000 in lost business.

Calls to the bank were routed to a Mercantile call center, where a woman said she had no additional information.

Mercantile Bank is a subsidiary of the South Carolina-based South Financial Group, which issued a statement saying:

"The police are in charge of this situation. We are cooperating fully and in every possible way. Our concerns are for our employees."

The same bank was robbed Nov. 16, and investigators are still looking for two suspects, Lizasuain said.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:19:23 AM EDT
[#1]
dang

hope it turns out OK
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#3]
It's all Bush's fault
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Bank robbers are Ghey. Get a job ya bums.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#5]
There is a theory that these are the same people that robbed this bank on November 16th 2005.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Damn JBT's they should be out revenue collecting.

This deal is going to cost major money.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
and the cops are swarming the place-it's on right now.

HH

Crap.

Well, here's hoping that the cops kill the bad guys and that all the innocents get to come home safe.

Also, here's hoping we don't end up with another North Hollywood out of this.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:26:32 AM EDT
[#8]
George Bush hates hostages.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Hope they stormed the place wearing long sleeve shirts, polyster pants, and ties while armed with a revolver.  No need in any of that icky SWAT-type gear.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:27:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Damn JBT's they should be out revenue collecting.

This deal is going to cost major money.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:29:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
dang

hope it turns out OK

+1.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:31:42 AM EDT
[#13]
>.<

POST A DAMN LINK. I CAN'T READ MINDS.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:32:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It's all Bush's fault hr

+1
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:33:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
>.<

Wow.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:34:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
>.<

Wow.

I've been looking like crazy, I have family that works in various banks...

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Bush turned on his bank robbery machine to pay for the levee he got caught blowing up.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
>.<

Wow.

I've been looking like crazy, I have family that works in various banks...

Sorry to hear that

Did you check Foxnews.com?   clicky
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Thank God...

I WISH PEOPLE WOULD POST LINKS IN THEIR THREADS.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:40:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Holy shit. The JBT's have an armored personel carrier. Bet those come in handy at those DLC's.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#21]
There is an APC in the street....they are preparing for something.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Cover?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:43:27 AM EDT
[#23]
tag for when there's pics.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#24]
SWAT is tied up executing SWs for half ounces of pot.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:43:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Kick ass.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:44:00 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cover?

Or a Full Breach.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Thank God...

When the thread was started, there weren't any links on any of the sites I go to for info: Fox, CNN or Topix.net. Sometimes that happens.

You can go to any of those sources yourself too and find out for yourself instead of making statements like that.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:44:37 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cover?

and negotiations and photo ops
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#29]
IBTDkJ

In Before The Dog Killer jokes .
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#30]
nope the apc is going to drive in and punch a few holes, and pump in tear gas, the next thing will be a fire
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:49:44 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thank God...

When the thread was started, there weren't any links on any of the sites I go to for info: Fox, CNN or Topix.net. Sometimes that happens.

You can go to any of those sources yourself too and find out for yourself instead of making statements like that.  

Thanks for stating 1st what I would've!  Dang...it came on LIVE before they even thought about putting it on their site.  

HH

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:50:06 AM EDT
[#33]
One Hostage is out safe . Dont think this gonna be a hollywood shootout.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cover?

Waiting for backup

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:52:31 AM EDT
[#35]
They're saying there could be 5 or more hostages inside.  

I'm praying they get out safely.  

Comment on FOX: "There's no getting out of here...it's completely surrounded."

HH
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thank God...

Wait to the shoe is on the your foot. Bank robberies with hostages often times end badly. My mother's bank got held up 6 times this year and my cousin had his robbed twice at gun point in the same month. Kissimee isn't far from where they both work.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#37]
To many JBT's on the ground. There is revenue that needs collecting.

They need no more than two donut munchers to handle this detail.

Get back to work.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thank God...

Wait to the shoe is on the your foot. Bank robberies with hostages often times end badly. My mother's bank got held up 6 times this year and my cousin had his robbed twice at gun point in the same month. Kissimee isn't far from where they both work.

Well, as I've done since I had access to the Internet for 10 years now, I'd have checked the news outlets (it's as easy as clicking "submit" on Arfcom) and THEN wigging out instead of demanding links and wringing my hands while wigging out.

FWIW if your mom's been robbed 6 times I'd tell her to get a new job. That's crazy.

Edit I WASTED POST 10,000 ON THIS???!!!!?!?!! I want my money back!  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Any place to get steaming video? Dont have access to a TV right now.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:55:33 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thank God...

Well, as I've done since I had access to the Internet, I'd have checked the news outlets (it's as easy as clicking "submit" on Arfcom) and then wigged out instead of demanding links and wringing my hands.

FWIW if your mom's been robbed 6 times I'd tell her to get a new job. That's crazy.

That is considered good. Most banks get it once a month.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:56:19 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Get back to work.

That's a big 10-4

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

WHAT
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Get back to work.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Most banks get robbed once a month?  Where at, Bogota?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHAT

Majority of robberies are a simple note and takes less than a minute. No other person knows except the teller/branch manager and the robber. They always catch the guys.

Quoted:
Most banks get robbed once a month?  Where at, Bogota?

Central FL. It's really fucked up. The cops stopped going to frauduglent calls, etc. Told the branch manager, "To call when there is a REAL emergency."

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHAT

macman...you just flew by 10000.  Congrats!

HH
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:01:01 AM EDT
[#47]
This is less than a mile from the entrance to DisneyWorld.

HH
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Congrats macman37 on making 10K posts.

Only about 398 to go for me.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Congrats macman37 on making 10K posts.

Only about 398 to go for me.  

Good job, deej!  I've got some serious catchin' up to do!

HH
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#50]
The FBI has arrived.

This could last a while.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top