Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2013 7:11:13 PM EDT
I haven't gone shooting for a while due to long hours at work, and more importantly ammo cost and availability . But today I said fuck it and broke into my stash and had some fun.
This is a 1944 Izhevsk PU Sniper, the scope is from 1943. The rifle was imported by SAMCO as one of the "scopeless snipers", so the scope doesn't match the rifle and it's a shooter rather than a collector piece...but damn does it shoot. Interesting bit of history, SAMCO got these rifles out of Yugoslavia and they were part of the weapons Stalin sent to arm Josip Tito and his partisans towards the end of WWII.

I was shooting at 200yds using some Russian 182gr surplus. This rifle loves the heavy stuff and doesn't do so great with lighter 147gr. This was the best group of the day, just a hair under 2". Not too shabby for a 70 year old rifle and scope shooting 50 year old ammo. I want to try it out at long range to see what it can really do.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:15:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome job man, my PU Mosin narrowly edges out the Enfield as my favorite bolt gun

Ammo's still cheap though. Do you not shoot milsurp?

http://images.4chan.org/k/src/1378696426414.jpg
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome job man, my PU Mosin narrowly edges out the Enfield as my favorite bolt gun

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I want one of those pretty bad..

- Clint
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

In before a northern California police officer.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got one that I bought from Navy Arms in the 90's. Despite it nice condition, about 2" for three shots is the best I can get out of it at 100 yards. Five shots opens the group up to about double.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Beautiful pic.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I got a 1944 scope on a 1943 sniper. Wanna trade?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#10]
1 MOA with a Mosin sniper means you know what you're doing behind a rifle; my compliments.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

It's drying up fast, especially Heavy Ball because Russia stopped production of it a while ago.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

1 MOA with a Mosin sniper means you know what you're doing behind a rifle; my compliments.
View Quote

I competed in smallbore for several years so I've gotten the fundamentals of rifle shooting down pretty well. But still, this rifle makes it very easy to look good

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Very nice mosin and excellent shooting
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#14]
That's great for an old bolt gun like that.

I'd have to say that I'm jealous. I want that, and my old Romy PSL back. Wish I'd never sold that rifle.

Unrealistically speaking though, I'd rather have an SVD or a Tigr rifle instead of the PSL.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I also own one and I must admit the accuracy is unbelievable. I collect WW II Rifles and my Enfield is also very accurate.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:39:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'd have to say that I'm jealous. I want that, and my old Romy PSL back. Wish I'd never sold that rifle.

Unrealistically speaking though, I'd rather have an SVD or a Tigr rifle instead of the PSL.
View Quote

Guns Magazine did an article a while back about WWII Sniper Rifles, shooting them out to 1000yds. The Mosin PU sniper crushed the 1903A4, No.1T, and K98k Sniper.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:44:05 PM EDT
[#19]
That is an outstanding group for any rifle and ammo.  I thought group size was measured center to center on the farthest holes ( or outside to outside and subract the the caliber).  In either case that group is closer to an inch and a half.  Pretty decent shooting.  That's 7 and 1/2 inches at a thousand yards if all other things are equal.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Guns Magazine did an article a while back about WWII Sniper Rifles, shooting them out to 1000yds. The Mosin PU sniper crushed the 1903A4, No.1T, and K98k Sniper.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I remember that article.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll raise you a

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

- Clint
View Quote

Ditto.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is a joke.  Everyone on arfcom knows that mosins are cheap truck guns with minute of barn door accuracy.  One must spend at least two months pay for a Wallstreet broker to get a 1moa rifle.
View Quote

Yup. This is unpossible!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That is an outstanding group for any rifle and ammo.  I thought group size was measured center to center on the farthest holes ( or outside to outside and subract the the caliber).  In either case that group is closer to an inch and a half.  Pretty decent shooting.  That's 7 and 1/2 inches at a thousand yards if all other things are equal.
View Quote

I'm sure you mean 15".
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm sure you mean 15".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure you mean 15".

Nope.  He said that group was at 200 yards. Unless my basic math is off.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure you mean 15".

Ah, I missed that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

- Clint
View Quote

What I really want is a PE Sniper

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

He did say that was the best group of the day.

Last summer I shot a shit load of ten round groups with a PSL and spam-can light ball.

The best group was just over 1 MOA...  ten shots, mostly in one ragged hole.

However, there were also ten-shot groups as big as 7.5 MOA with no called fliers.

"Best group of the day" is not the same as consistent accuracy, and I'm not convinced that there is any milsurp 54R that is consistently that good in any gun.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Are the triggers better in the sniper guns?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Love those mosin PU snipers.  Good job OP.

Quoted:

Are the triggers better in the sniper guns?
View Quote

I have a Tula ex-sniper I got from Aztec years ago.  $99 shipped.  These were sniper rifles that were rearsenaled and returned to the standard 91/30 configuration.  You can spot an ex-sniper pretty easy.  You can look inside the action and see where the holes for the mount were filled in.

The trigger that came with it sucked.  I took the triggers out of all my Mosins and played mix and match until I came up with a decent trigger.  I can say that it's the most accurate open sighted gun I own.

I don't have any pics of it so don't ask
Top Top