Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 8:00:14 AM EDT
Without Remorse IMDB

I think they're doing another "young" Clark / Ryan thing (like SOAF).
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:03:05 AM EDT
[#1]
they are going to butcher the story.

Well at least I hope that they put the scene in where he uses the decompression chamber to get the guy to talk
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:03:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Joaquin Phoenix...

<Vader> Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! </Vader>
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:08:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Without Remorse IMDB

I think they're doing another "young" Clark / Ryan thing (like SOAF).

Well it should be, since the book takes place in the late 60's. CLark woulf have been in his late 20's early 30's. Ryan should by young, since the book centers around Ryan th cop (father), I believe Ryan of the other books was still very young. It has been several years since I read the book.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:11:54 AM EDT
[#4]
There is no way, IMHO, that they will be able to make the movie as dark as it needs to be.  I'm expecting suckage.  

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:16:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There is no way, IMHO, that they will be able to make the movie as dark as it needs to be.  I'm expecting suckage.  

+1

that and the ghetto drug dealers/pimps will be replaced somehow.  Remember "Sum of All Fears"?  

EPOCH  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:18:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

and here's your proof:

Writing credits:
John Singleton (screenplay)

Filmography includes directing such screen gems as 2 Fast 2 Furious, the Michael Jackson bio, and others....
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:18:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yup...'fraid you're on the mark.  Clark does some pretty evil shit in his attempt to rid the world of the evil dopers...and since some of them in the book are people of color, and thereby victims of the overarching evil white society, the movie makers will be forced to change the characters in order to remain PC.

IIRC is was a VERY dark story and definitely not on my list of re-reads.

I want to see Red Storm Rising...but fat chance of that ever happening.  Rainbow Six would be nice too...but again, Hollywierd would end up ruining the story by making the Earth Firster types victims.  

The movie will suck...
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:19:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I just read the book a few weeks ago. Great book, easily one of Clancy's best.

I happen to think that Joaquin Phoenix might do a good job of it... He's an excellent actor IMHO. I had Clark pictured as a taller, more muscular, more sandy-haired guy than Phoenix but I'm not going to write the movie off simply because of that.

I doubt this movie will rock.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Rainbow Six would be nice too...but again, Hollywierd would end up ruining the story by making the Earth Firster types victims.  

Rainbow 6 @ imdb.com
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:27:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Without Remorse IMDB

I think they're doing another "young" Clark / Ryan thing (like SOAF). hr

Well it should be, since the book takes place in the late 60's. CLark woulf have been in his late 20's early 30's. Ryan should by young, since the book centers around Ryan th cop (father), I believe Ryan of the other books was still very young. It has been several years since I read the book.

Yeah it's set around 1969-'73, the Son Tay Raid occurs in the book, and it ends with a bunch of POWs coming home, the 1973 exchange. Jack is a student at Boston College.

I just hope the movie includes the dive chamber scene
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup...'fraid you're on the mark.  Clark does some pretty evil shit in his attempt to rid the world of the evil dopers...and since some of them in the book are people of color, and thereby victims of the overarching evil white society, the movie makers will be forced to change the characters in order to remain PC.

I want to see Red Storm Rising...but fat chance of that ever happening.  Rainbow Six would be nice too...but again, Hollywierd would end up ruining the story by making the Earth Firster types victims.  

The movie will suck...

Not only that, but in order to understand why he does these things, you would have to include fairly graphic scenes involving the several hours of torture the gang did to his girlfriend, as well as his prior experience with such monsters in Vietnam, and especially the scene where the Vietcong rapes and tortures the village leader's family to death.  The wonderful moral conflict of the story comes from the fact that Clark understands the depths of human depravity, and understands what it takes to defeat it, but yet he must be cautious of Nietzche's warning that "those who fight monsters should be careful not to become them, for when you look into the abyss, the abyss looks back into you."  I seriously doubt they are going to touch on these things in a movie.  

Edited to add:  Here's the full quote, and its one of my favorites.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
- Nietzche.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The movie will suck...

that indeed would be far more entertaining instead of watching the butchered up version of W/ Remorse
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:43:44 AM EDT
[#13]
If the Hollywierd PC types had made The Sum of All Fears in the style of the book it might have been one of the best thrillers of all time.  They ruined with their PC bullshit.

The BGs should have been Islamofacist terrorists.  Strange how truth follows fiction huh?

The homegrown asshole character really should have been the cowardly, grasping, power-hungry BITCH NSA of the Merkin Muffly pres.  I mean...in the book she damn near causes the end of the world then collapses with the vapors and goes to bed in the end!

The Merkin Muffly pussy president (Anyone else recognize Bill and Hill here?) should have been portrayed as a weak sister, willing to destroy the planet to save his rep.  In the movie he was a fool...but nothing like the idiot in the book.

The methods used by Clark and Chavez to elicit the evidence and truth from the Arab-terrorist-killers was not shown (Think "Man on Fire" in the car scene with one of the "Professionals".)

Essentially, they fucked that flick up.  Who here really believes that they won't do it again?

Clancy writes great stuff...but way too deep for the Hollywierds to handle.  And way too un-PC.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:52:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The movie will suck...

Not only that, but in order to understand why he does these things, you would have to include fairly graphic scenes involving the several hours of torture the gang did to his girlfriend, as well as his prior experience with such monsters in Vietnam, and especially the scene where the Vietcong rapes and tortures the village leader's family to death.  The wonderful moral conflict of the story comes from the fact that Clark understands the depths of human depravity, and understands what it takes to defeat it, but yet he must be cautious of Nietzche's warning that "those who fight monsters should be careful not to become them, for when you look into the abyss, the abyss looks back into you."  I seriously doubt they are going to touch on these things in a movie.  

Edited to add:  Here's the full quote, and its one of my favorites.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
- Nietzche.

The forepage contains a quote I memorized, but I can't recall the source;

Beware the fury of a patient man.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Too bad it will suck so bad, it will bring down the good name of the book, one of my faves.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:59:48 AM EDT
[#16]
All they need to kill the movie:

pistol action (akimbo)
hardcore rock music as the background music for a series of long action sequences involving a high body count and plenty of ammo being used

or it might just make it better!

I remember "The One". I saw it in a theater near Ft Bragg. It was a lot of fake action stuff but just seeing all those G36s / M4s with the cool soundtrack was a blast in the theater.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
All they need to kill the movie:

pistol action (akimbo)
hardcore rock music as the background music for a series of long action sequences involving a high body count and plenty of ammo being used

or it might just make it better!

I remember "The One". I saw it in a theater near Ft Bragg. It was a lot of fake action stuff but just seeing all those G36s / M4s with the cool soundtrack was a blast in the theater.

I have to admit "The One" was a fun, "put your brain on hold and just watch" type flick!

(must watch the DVD "special features" too though, my wife and I still joke about "Good Jelly" and "Bad Jelly" ... you will only get that if you've watched the "Making Of" documentary)
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:29:43 AM EDT
[#18]
He had better drive a Scout in the movie too dammit!!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:43:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Phoenix would have to do some beefing up to play Clark.  AT that time Clark was in his prime and was a BAMF.

Agreed that Hollyweird will screw this pooch.

CMOS
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#20]
The photo of John Clark in the Rainbow Six games shows what appears to be a middle aged to early senior (50s?) white male with a medium build. It's something Tom Berenger could pull off if the story required the modern John Clark.

"Watch out, this place is like a shooting gallery!"
"We need you back in 1 piece!"
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:29:19 AM EDT
[#21]
that's it.....I'm going back to read the book ....again
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top