Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/16/2003 5:00:15 PM EDT

I am changing out a few toilets for water saving models to cut down on the water bill.  That extra gallon or so may not seem like much, but just picture 500 toilets all being used everyday!!

Does anyone know if older high flow toilets are worth much of anything.  I've heard homeowners who are doing remodeling often search these out for the extra WOOSH.  

Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Definetly hang on to them until you can sell them pre-ban toilets for big bucks.
And yes, I am serious.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#2]
In many cases the low flow toilets cost more in water to use, because the shit won't go down with one flush and the toilet needs to be flushed again. I would never use a low flow like that in a house I live in. I have put a few low flows in some of my units and got complaints that they need to be flushed twice also. Just my experience with these. YMMV
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#3]
yes, they're worth money, sad when the gov't bans a certain size shitter.  especially when you're running off your own septic tank, those little pussy toilets they have now do not do the job and cost you later on.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#4]
if you were in ND i'd buy two for my mom's house

i hate low flow shitters
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:13:31 PM EDT
[#5]
THEY SUCK!THEY SUCK!THEY SUCK!

I have two in Our house and I'd trade both of them for one good Pre-ban 7gal atomic flusher!

Oh, By the way....They're another thing we all can thank AlGore for. Japbastards!

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#6]
That government mandated low-flow crapper idea ranks up there as maybe the shittiest law ever devised by a congress enamored with social engineering in the history of our republic.

Stupid bastards...they don't know squat about crapping...they're so full of it all the time.

The only way we keep ours from backing up is to multiple flush...you know, in increments.  (Gotta be careful here...don't want to get banned.)

Keep the old ones 'cause one day We The People will rise up off our pots in indignant rage and overturn this crappy law!
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#7]
... Seriously Slumlord, think long and hard about doing that. My guess is that your clogged toilet landlord calls will go up 10 fold. You've been warned!
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Our new low-flow rules. It is pretty expensive but it uses a larger trap diameter so everything goes down faster. Never needs a second flush like the older low-flows did. Advertised that you can unroll half a normal roll of toilet paper into the bowl and it's all gone in one flush. But at $200+ each you pay for the one flush convinence.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I think I've heard of people bringing the preban configuration ones in from Canada
I'm not sure if I've used a low flow toilet or not, but I hate low flow shower heads. I like a powerful stream of water for my shower
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
In many cases the low flow toilets cost more in water to use, because the shit won't go down with one flush and the toilet needs to be flushed again. I would never use a low flow like that in a house I live in. I have put a few low flows in some of my units and got complaints that they need to be flushed twice also. Just my experience with these. YMMV

Only twice?

Some of mine take four or five.  

Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#12]
they'd also make interesting targets

I think it's hilarious that we're talking about preban toilets
what else will this country ban?
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Slumlord,

Those high flow toilets are worth mega-bucks nowadays.  My dad just finished an addition to his house, and needed a couple of toilets.  He despises low flow toilets, and after much searching on the black market, he found a plumber that had a few and was willing to sell them.  He said it was like a drug deal going down to get these things.  The plumber would take cash only, and he had to agree to meet at a location that would not be disclosed until 30 minutes before the 'deal' was to go down. These were however toilets that had never been used, and I would imagine that carries a premium.

You should hold on to those instead of throwing them away.  They will only become more valuable over time.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Welcome gamble11!
Good First Post!
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#15]
There was some valuable research done that disproved the myth that post-ban crappers used less water than their pre-ban counterparts.

Do a google search on King of the Hill.

Link Posted: 7/16/2003 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#16]
howdy and welcome gamble................

but this thread has reminded me of a story from high school.  i had to take "environmental science" (bullshit class taught by a lefty deluxe)  anyway, as i was sitting there counting the minutes this moron brings up shitters and how we're going to kill the planet if we dont put bricks in our evil pre-ban shitters so they'll use less water per flush.  well, being the smart ass i was i told him that he could put whatever in the hell he wanted in his toilet but i prefered that my turds go down the first time, then asked him what he had stuck in the bathtub to reduce water, etc........

the bastard kicked me out of class!!!!!!  told me to wait outside the door in the hall (because the principal made rounds and he'd find me and take me to his office)  i went to the ag building and had a dip of snuff instead

well, it was funny when it happend anyway, maybe its one of those deals where you just had to be there.......
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the welcome fellas!

Although this is my first post, I've actually been lurking here everyday for almost two years!
I guess this is just the first time I've had anything constructive to add to a topic.  Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread any further, but I hope to be a little more active in the future.

Gamble11
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I wanted to post a better reply than this, but I have to go take a shit.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Thanks for the welcome fellas!

Although this is my first post, I've actually been lurking here everyday for almost two years!
I guess this is just the first time I've had anything constructive to add to a topic.  Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread any further, but I hope to be a little more active in the future.

Gamble11

Let me get this straight...

You have been lurking this site for almost two years and the only time over that time period you actually have something constuctive to post was in a toilet-related thread?

Man, you will fit in just fine!

Welcome, and there are ladies present, so we ask that you put the seat down or my girlfriend will kick my ass!

Link Posted: 7/16/2003 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#20]

I think I have an idea that would satisfy both parties:  A toilet with 2 buttons--botton #1 (high flow) for sh!tter, button #2 (low flow) for peeing.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I got 2 pre-bans myself and can't find anyone willing to purchase them!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I think I have an idea that would satisfy both parties:  A toilet with 2 buttons--botton #1 (high flow) for sh!tter, button #2 (low flow) for peeing.

Some of the better one's have a dual action flush. Push handle down and you have a short flush and hold it down longer and it evacuates the "Lincoln Log's"!

Welcome aboard Gamble!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
...just picture 500 toilets all being used everyday!!

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwww.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...just picture 500 toilets all being used everyday!!

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwww.

You should see what things look like when the man holes back up.  Talk about lincoln logs!!!
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
... Seriously Slumlord, think long and hard about doing that. My guess is that your clogged toilet landlord calls will go up 10 fold. You've been warned!

This very problem has been contemplated quite a bit.  About 50 of these toilets were installed about 4 months ago, with no real increase in maintenance calls about stop ups.

So anyone need a deal on a few PRE-BAN porcelain gods?
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Holy CRAP! When I looked at that picture....I saw......TARGETS!!!

Fly Navy
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Our new low-flow rules. It is pretty expensive but it uses a larger trap diameter so everything goes down faster. Never needs a second flush like the older low-flows did. Advertised that you can unroll half a normal roll of toilet paper into the bowl and it's all gone in one flush. But at $200+ each you pay for the one flush convinence.

I've replaced the original and cracked toilets in the last 3 years.  The first one I replaced, I replaced again.  That is because the first replacement was an embarrassment in the guest bath.  Flush twice, plunge, flush again!.  What a waste of money on the first one.

Now, I've got Toto toilets all around. One flush satisfaction.  

I also know they still make the overhead tank style toilets.  You know, pull the chain style crappers.  I'd like to someday install one of those.  If high flows are pre-ban, the overhead tank model must be a C&R!
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some of the better one's have a dual action flush.

Seen those double-stage triggers in a number of varieties.

There are also DIAS (drop-in aqua stop) modules available, where you can flush, and stop the flow once everything is gone.

Another fine invention is
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Slumlord,

I'll trade for one of those prebans even up.  I've got a pink one in my master bath that has been bothering me colorwise since I bought the place 5 years ago.  I was always afraid to change it and get stuck with one of the new crappers.

I need the extra water power due to the old pipes.......both me and the house  

I do not like to see my shit again especially if it just keeps circling flush after flush.  Kinda freaks me out.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:23:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Slumlord,
 I've got a pink one in my master bath that has been bothering me colorwise since I bought the place 5 years ago.  

What the heck are you doing with a pink toilet?????
What the heck makes you think I want one?????????
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:24:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Holy CRAP! When I looked at that picture....I saw......TARGETS!!!

Fly Navy

Some of the ones that can't be salvaged may make a trip up to the Hun farm.  If I ever make it that is.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#32]
You might want to check this link out before getting rid of the old toilets.  You might be able to get a little bit back.

We pay for old toilet tank lids
www.plumbingwarehouse.com/we_buy_toilet_tank_lids.html
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Gross,  some of you people would buy a used toilet?  I hope most of you go for the NOS.

Toilets, underwear, and toothbrushes are three things I know I won't buy used.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:26:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
home.quixnet.net/~mcress/toilets.jpg

My oh my, that is a pretty picture.  So many toilets, so little shi...........

Any why not use a used toilet.  Clean it up with some bleach and use it.  It's a toilet for god's sakes.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Hey, just plop the things on ebay.  Probably get rid of them in a jiffy for a pretty good chunk of change.

Just ad something like "for display purposes only" or whatnot to cover you in case you really aren't supposed to sell these.

Are there any laws concerning the resale of these?
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#36]
I remember seeing a pretty novel idea for a toilet in a Real Goods catalog many years ago – It had a faucet and sink built into the top of the tank. When you washed your hands, the water drained into the tank and was used for the next flush.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 12:55:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Dude, how many of those do you have left, and what's their condition (cleanliness?)
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 5:39:17 AM EDT
[#38]
500 toilets ain't "sh!t" (pun intended) I work in Corporate Loss Prevention for a national property management/development company, one of the properties I deal with has 1387 units, 1/3 of which have two crappers, talk about a load of sh!t.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 6:54:44 AM EDT
[#39]
I've been sitting on an unused preban American Standard for 10 years!

wait a minute, that didn't come out right...
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Dude, how many of those do you have left, and what's their condition (cleanliness?)

Depending on what we will be doing with them, they may get powerwashed and cleaned up.  Otherwise use your imagination, these are crappers that have been in these apartments for years, with occupants who in many cases don't seem to know to use cleaning supplies.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#41]
HANG ON TO THEM!!! When I was living in Seattle, I drove to Canada and smuggled two of them into the country. Smuggling TOILETS for Christ sake!!! Some smuggle cigars or illegal immigrants, I smuggle toilets. I have never been more filled with shame.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 10:56:25 PM EDT
[#43]
If you look real close the newer models are smaller tanks,but they have a plastic sleave that you can remove.  then they get full potentual of their smaller tanks!

Bob
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 11:59:29 PM EDT
[#44]
I'll take three of them!!!!!  The low flow toilets suck.  you have to flush em like ten times and you end up wasting way more water. They also clog up real easy.  

turd, turd go away! turd turd go away!!!   lol
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 12:04:35 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
If you look real close the newer models are smaller tanks,but they have a plastic sleave that you can remove.  then they get full potentual of their smaller tanks!

Bob

can you describe that process?  
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 12:32:14 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bob

can you describe that process?  

Its probably against the law,but if you look in side there is a plastic collar much like that collar around your old swamp cooler pump to keep the peices of fiber from getting into the pump!

It just really is high enough to keep the bowl from flushing too quickly,and it  is about two inches tall so that the whole tank can't be used freely!   It is right there ,and when you take it out you get about another gallon of water per flush!

Look See it?   Bob
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 12:54:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Illegal? Who is going to arrest you? Who is going to serve the search warrant on your shitter to see if it's pre or post ban? What is the sentence for having an illegal toilet?

Can you be considered a domestic terrorist for using a Weapon of Mass Drainage?

Ya'll are nutz!
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 5:09:09 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Illegal? Who is going to arrest you? Who is going to serve the search warrant on your shitter to see if it's pre or post ban? What is the sentence for having an illegal toilet?

Can you be considered a domestic terrorist for using a Weapon of Mass Drainage?

Ya'll are nutz!

I believe it is Acohol, Toilets and Firearms?

Link Posted: 1/3/2004 8:34:14 AM EDT
[#49]
A little late to this thread....I'm not a plumber but why don't you guys install an adjustable flushometer instead of the water tank toilets? Especially those who have problems with flow? We almost never have a problem with backed up toilets, and in the rare case that one does back up, it does not require a plunger, just a few minutes and another flush. They have a lot of flushing power.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Can I take a drive up to Canada, buy one of the standard capacity toilets, bring it back and install it legally?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top