Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 1/13/2015 2:05:01 PM EDT
I'm against tipping. It doesn't provide better service, better service itself doesn't bring better tips for the most part, and why the fuck do I need to pay for an employee's salary when the employer is taking more of my money even though I'm paying for a product and a service.

If the food is fucked up or good, it isn't the waiter's fault or success. It is the idiot working the kitchen that is at fault or successful. Yet somehow I'm supposed to tip the waiter if the food is good or not tip if it is bad?

Fuck that....

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you watch the video?  His points aren't yours.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#2]
non hablo
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Then don't tip and if the server's tip + wages don't meet the federal minimum then the employer is obligated to make it meet it anyway.

I always tip unless service is horrendously awful but I don't understand whining about it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#4]
In pretty much all other countries you aren't supposed to tip. That's how it should be.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Seems unnecessarily complicated to me. Just charge me whatever price optimizes your profits, and pay your employees yourself.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:08:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I tip strippers
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:08:18 PM EDT
[#7]
You don't tip on the quality of the food, you tip on the quality of the service.  And anyone who thinks tipping doesn't affect the quality of service is probably too cheap to ever tip well.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Boy do I agree with that. When I have to pay $20 and up for a meal that probably costs $3 to make and then I still have to pay half the wages of the employee, something is flat out wrong with that. I do it because it's not fair to the employee not to make a decent wage but it is wrong!
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:08:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I tip good.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:09:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I have tipped the chef before for a beautifully cooked steak. Servers tip depends on my drink level and firmness of her assets.

..yes, I'm a pig, and I'm ok with that.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm against tipping. It doesn't provide better service, better service itself doesn't bring better tips for the most part, and why the fuck do I need to pay for an employee's salary when the employer is taking more of my money even though I'm paying for a product and a service.

If the food is fucked up or good, it isn't the waiter's fault or success. It is the idiot working the kitchen that is at fault or successful. Yet somehow I'm supposed to tip the waiter if the food is good or not tip if it is bad?

Fuck that....

http://youtu.be/q_vivC7c_1k

View Quote

I support giving waiters a good tip, but this video and what soon will become a movement behind it is no more than the protests for McDonalds workers to be paid $15/hr.

Ask any GOOD server if they'd like to make $10/hr no tips or work for tips and they'll say tips all day.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Then don't tip and if the server's tip + wages don't meet the federal minimum then the employer is obligated to make it meet it anyway.

I always tip unless service is horrendously awful but I don't understand whining about it.
View Quote

I feel the same way.  I tip what I feel service is worth - sometimes more, sometimes less.  I don't tip based on the quality of the food because (as you point out) my server has little to do with that.  Tips go down, though, if my order isn't taken correctly.  That part IS the server's fault.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#13]
In pretty much all other countries you aren't supposed to tip. That's how it should be.
View Quote

Typically, a 15% "service charge" is added to the bill. That's a "mandatory tip."

This precludes the possibilty of not tipping, in the case of bad service.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I tip strippers
View Quote
Strippers are providing a service. Also, they don't count.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You don't tip on the quality of the food, you tip on the quality of the service.  And anyone who thinks tipping doesn't affect the quality of service is probably too cheap to ever tip well.
View Quote

Unless I'm a frequent repeat customer how does giving a 30% tip after service affect the service I have already received?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I usually do 20%, but tipping is a dumb practice. I would rather have mediocre service and more expensive food than see the practice continue. I'll never see it in my life though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I feel the same way.  I tip what I feel service is worth - sometimes more, sometimes less.  I don't tip based on the quality of the food because (as you point out) my server has little to do with that.  Tips go down, though, if my order isn't taken correctly.  That part IS the server's fault.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been told that a lot of places the tips are split between cooks and waiters. If that's the case you are tipping the lousy cook too
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I tip strippers

They also tend to react to the tips rather than just receiving them after the fact.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Pay waitstaff strictly by the hour and they'll spend their shifts out back smoking or texting in kitchen, basically slacking off while your incorrectly taken order sits getting cold instead of being trotted out to you toot sweet. That and I doubt many would do it for the minimum wage they'd wind up paying either.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
I been to restaurants with my wife were a meal for two is around $600 - $1000 easily and places that a meal is $20 for two. Sale fucking service. I order food and drinks, food and drinks are brought to me in a relatively quick amount of time. I eat food, drink drinks, empties are taken away.

How fucking hard is that?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Unless I'm a frequent repeat customer how does giving a 30% tip after service affect the service I have already received?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't frequent the same establishments?

You don't think that a server receiving poor tips on the whole isn't incentivized to do a better job?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I support giving waiters a good tip, but this video and what soon will become a movement behind it is no more than the protests for McDonalds workers to be paid $15/hr.

Ask any GOOD server if they'd like to make $10/hr no tips or work for tips and they'll say tips all day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck that....

http://youtu.be/q_vivC7c_1k

And if that happens... I'll be happy seeing McDonald's workers unemployed and machines taking over.

When I'm overseas. I get great service and don't have to tip.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

[rant]I fucking hate that argument.  I hear that shit from my gf's family (Canadian).  I don't care how everyone else does it.  I'm American.  We do it how we do it.  If you like how everyone else does it then go everywhere else.  Piss off. [/rant]

I like tipping.  Rather than pay that money up front I get to make sure they earn it.  Is it so hard adding a tip?  Just pretend like there is no tipping and that all of the prices are 15% higher if it will help you sleep at night.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have been told that a lot of places the tips are split between cooks and waiters. If that's the case you are tipping the lousy cook too
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be interested in how many cooks have received some of the tips from a waitress.  Bet that number is close to zero these days (may have happened much more frequently in the pre-its all about me days).
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

They also tend to react to the tips rather than just receiving them after the fact.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I tip strippers

$5 comes out, clothes come off
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Went to Chillis last night and they had a Ziosk on every table.  Had a touch screen showing menu items, had games you could play for $.99 and you could prompt for refills.  It has a credit card swiper right on it when you are ready to pay you hit the button and it shows you your bill then you can swipe your card.  It even prints out your receipt.  Pretty cool, never seen that before.

Anyway after paying the bill it prompts you if you want to leave a tip.  It starts out set at 20% and showing the $ amount.  You can scroll it left or right to increase or decrease the tip.  It took about 20 scrolls to get it from $4.85 down to $1.00.  But we left $4.50.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Went to Chillis last night and they had a Ziosk on every table.  Had a touch screen showing menu items, had games you could play for $.99 and you could prompt for refills.  It has a credit card swiper right on it when you are ready to pay you hit the button and it shows you your bill then you can swipe your card.  It even prints out your receipt.  Pretty cool, never seen that before.

Anyway after paying the bill it prompts you if you want to leave a tip.  It starts out set at 20% and showing the $ amount.  You can scroll it left or right to increase or decrease the tip.  It took about 20 scrolls to get it from $4.85 down to $1.00.  But we left $4.50.
View Quote

You tipped a machine
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:23:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Gratuities were once a way to show your appreciation for a job well done.  That has evolved into what we have now, a required minimum charge regardless of the quality of service.  In addition, the notion that gratuities alone should be a "living wage" has caught on and will never go away.

Some expectations need to be reset.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Pay waitstaff strictly by the hour and they'll spend their shifts out back smoking or texting in kitchen, basically slacking off while your incorrectly taken order sits getting cold instead of being trotted out to you toot sweet. That and I doubt many would do it for the minimum wage they'd wind up paying either.
View Quote
Then explain why when I go to Spain, France, or Italy I don't get shitty service. Because I don't tip there and the service for the most part is excellent.

If the staff is fucking up.... Congrats, you're fired. Next!

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:25:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I'll tip my barber... the delivery guy and a waiter/waitress in a sit down restaurant if I get good service.

That's it. Too many people are demanding tips these days.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Meh wouldn't hurt my feelings to walk into a place like Chillis,Logans, Outback, etc, be seated and at that point use a device at the table to place my own order, have the app notify me when the order has been started and then the device alerts me letting me know it's done with the option at the time of placing the order to come to a window to pick it up and take to your table or having staff bring it to you. Put some card devices so I can pay at the table and leave..

I tip but not really a big fan of it. As long as they're pretty friendly I'll tip but I always see a tip as something you give for doing something that is above and beyond the service you're paying for.

ETA:Seems like something similar is already being used in certain places
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I tip strippers
View Quote

I also take them home for a hot meal and bed
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I'll tip my barber... the delivery guy and a waiter/waitress in a sit down restaurant if I get good service.

That's it. Too many people are demanding tips these days.
View Quote
I don't have a set barber... Supercuts has someone different every time amd guess what... my High & Tight is the same every time.

The Delivery guy is also different every time. Once again? Why should I tip him. He drives up to my mailbox, takes two steps, places a box next to it, and leaves. Why does that deserve a tip?

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I been to restaurants with my wife were a meal for two is around $600 - $1000 easily and places that a meal is $20 for two. Sale fucking service. I order food and drinks, food and drinks are brought to me in a relatively quick amount of time. I eat food, drink drinks, empties are taken away.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much of a tip did you leave?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#35]
FUCK YES!

I was actually going to make a thread similar to this after I got dogpiled on for saying I don't tip.

Fuck tipping.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

That line of reasoning doesn't explain why the cooks that are paid hourly ever bother to actually make the meal.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#37]
If you can't afford to tip you can't afford to eat out. Its simple.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Then explain why when I go to Spain, France, or Italy I don't get shitty service. Because I don't tip there and the service for the most part is excellent.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're used to cheap fucks who don't tip and adjusted their work force accordingly.

I still tip in Europe. If they refuse the tip, I buy drinks for them.

Am I remembering incorrectly that you get shitty service in South Georgia and North Florida because you're Cuban?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How $120 for a $600 bill. That is 20%.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You don't think that a server receiving poor tips on the whole isn't incentivized to do a better job?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  Almost all of the time I'm eating out it's on the road.

And my getting decent service is predicated on everyone else that's been there before tipping well?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

The complaints aren't about the cost but the silly system.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#42]
If you don't want to cook for yourself and too cheap to leave a tip, then go to McD's

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:36:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't bother, the former waitstaff is in a tizzy.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Seems unnecessarily complicated to me. Just charge me whatever price optimizes your profits, and pay your employees yourself.
View Quote

A thousand times this.  That actually makes sense and is how it's done in virtually every other industry.

But then people wouldn't be able to feel like bigshots and sneer at anyone who doesn't tip the same amount as they do.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote

And I've been to many of those countries and gotten shitty, indifferent service in your garden variety restaurants...wheras here, even an Applebees the employees know they're trying to earn a little extra.

Don't like tipping? Go to McDonald's, or cook your own fucking food. I don't want it built into the cost of my food, with no recourse when the service is bad.

Tipping is control, for the consumer. If we eliminate tipping, we'll still be paying the same amount, just higher prices built in....but what carrot is there for the employees? None. And, what are you gonna do when the service sucks? Whine, cause you're paying the bill either way.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#46]
"Its not tipping that I believe in, its over tipping"

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#47]
[douchebag haute cuisine asshole rant on]

In higher end restaurants the gratuity is a sign of appreciation not for the menial physical tasks of bringing you your food, but for the input and pairing abilities of the waiter or sommelier.

A good waiter can tell you off the top of their head exactly what is in a dish, what is done to prepare it, what drink goes best with it, what is a good appetizer to lead into it, etc. That skill and knowledge is learned and developed, it is an indicator of a person who enjoys their trade... and is what you are grateful for as it increases the enjoyment of your meal. A good waiter / sommelier can turn a ho hum meal into a real treat.

I think it has already been said but that level of knowledge and input is virtually nonexistant at Chillis or Hooters. Heck, the wait staff at family feed bag shit on the walls restaurants barely know what is on the fixed in stone same thing at every location menu let alone have any of their own input on it outside of "I, like, really love the, like, nachos". Basically it means you are tipping Amber (or Cherri or Lynne or whoever) to not fuck up and to keep your drink filled, pure and simple. But you can't punish them because the system gives them pennies and you have to make up the other half of their paycheck.

I'd love to see chain places and glorified McDonalds with utensils joints just drop the pretense and pay their people a fixed wage and leave the gratuity for the professionals.

[/douchebag haute cuisine asshole rant off]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:38:08 PM EDT
[#48]
You'll pay for the service one way or another. At least with tipping you can determine how much that is.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

And I've been to many of those countries and gotten shitty, indifferent service in your garden variety restaurants...wheras here, even an Applebees the employees know they're trying to earn a little extra.

Don't like tipping? Go to McDonald's, or cook your own fucking food. I don't want it built into the cost of my food, with no recourse when the service is bad.

Tipping is control, for the consumer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tipping is control, for the consumer.

The recourse if the service is bad is the same as if they send out shoe leather when you order medium-rare.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

never waited tables, just enjoy calling out all of the cheap fucks on this board. Gun owners are notoriously cheap
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top