Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Tipping separates the Service and Product sides of eating out. Without this, all of the food costs will go up, and the people bitching about having to leave a tip will bitch about that. While probably not the best system, it is extremely efficient in the fact that poor service will result in poor compensation for the service.

And tipping does provide much better quality of service, at least in my experiences. Of course, this will be more reflected based on how often one eats, but it often offers incentive for the servers to provide good service or face making crap in tips.

If they were paid hourly, then there are no incentives for them to bust their ass for your table. They are much less likely to stay attentive to your wants and needs.

McDeal with it; if you can't afford to tip, you shouldn't be going out to eat.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

never waited tables, just enjoy calling out all of the cheap fucks on this board. Gun owners are notoriously cheap
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you can't afford to tip you can't afford to eat out. Its simple.

The complaints aren't about the cost but the silly system.

Don't bother, the former waitstaff is in a tizzy.

never waited tables, just enjoy calling out all of the cheap fucks on this board. Gun owners are notoriously cheap

Who has said or implied that servers shouldn't get paid for their efforts?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

That line of reasoning doesn't explain why the cooks that are paid hourly ever bother to actually make the meal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pay waitstaff strictly by the hour and they'll spend their shifts out back smoking or texting in kitchen, basically slacking off while your incorrectly taken order sits getting cold instead of being trotted out to you toot sweet. That and I doubt many would do it for the minimum wage they'd wind up paying either.

That line of reasoning doesn't explain why the cooks that are paid hourly ever bother to actually make the meal.
No it sure don't. In retrospect I should say tipping is more like the gratuity that some call it. Do a good enough job and I'll pay what I feel is appropriate after it's done. Not much else works that way oddly enough.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You don't tip on the quality of the food, you tip on the quality of the service. And anyone who thinks tipping doesn't affect the quality of service is probably too cheap to ever tip well.
View Quote

The tip comes after the service. So if the people before me tip poorly will the wait staff give me crappy service.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No it sure don't. In retrospect I should say tipping is more like the gratuity that some call it. Do a good enough job and I'll pay what I feel is appropriate after it's done. Not much else works that way oddly enough.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pay waitstaff strictly by the hour and they'll spend their shifts out back smoking or texting in kitchen, basically slacking off while your incorrectly taken order sits getting cold instead of being trotted out to you toot sweet. That and I doubt many would do it for the minimum wage they'd wind up paying either.

Quite a few places a gratuity is not unusual for great service, it's only in the food serving staff that it's considered a part of their basic compensation.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Bingo!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask any GOOD server if they'd like to make $10/hr no tips or work for tips and they'll say tips all day.

Bingo!

Why would they want to do that?  Because they make more money that way, thereby eliminating the "it would cost more" argument?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:47:03 PM EDT
[#8]
WOW some of you guys are ridiculous, I worked in the restaurant business several years before doing what I do know (car business) I cooked and served tables while serving tables I rarely received a pay check because I made 2.13 an hour and that's where they take the taxes from. Also there is a big difference between good service and none, take your ass to mcdonalds or eat in if your not gonna tip.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Having traveled to several EURO countries it is just two ways of doing things. In Europe the wait staff is paid a good wage but the food is more expensive than in the US. In the US food is cheaper and the customer tips the wait staff because most folks know they make like 2 bucks an hour.

Which system is better ? I like ours because there is a incentive to give the customer good service as it reflects in your pay. In Europe they get paid the same whether you like them or not. Just two different ways of doing things. I got good service in Europe but it wasn't all smiles and ass kissing. Just straight business. What would you like, no frills and little small talk. I enjoyed that method too as a chatty waitress can be to chatty and annoying.

ETA: If the US stopped the tipping style prices would increase because the wait staff would need to paid a decent wage. I really think you spend about the same whichever method is used.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:49:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
WOW some of you guys are ridiculous, I worked in the restaurant business several years before doing what I do know (car business) I cooked and served tables while serving tables I rarely received a pay check because I made 2.13 an hour and that's where they take the taxes from. Also there is a big difference between good service and none, take your ass to mcdonalds or eat in if your not gonna tip.
View Quote

Start pay for servers here is 10$ an hour.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#11]
This is why I eat at home 99% of the time.

Not only do I save money on food, but I also save money by not having a waiter do the things that I can do myself.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Toot sweet?

Do you even culture bro?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#13]
then eat at luby's.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#14]
My wifey and I go dancing every Friday night.  We sit at the bar.  I rarely buy alcoholic drinks but rather diet colas or OJ.  Wife likes Sprite.  When wifey lets me, I order bar food.

I over tip.  If the bill is $25, I tip 7.50.  I never tip less than that.  If the bill is $10, I tip $7.50.  I am paying for the privaledge of sitting at the bar and getting great service all the time.  

I know that my purchases are not that great.  But there are always spots at the bar because we go on slow nights.  But the bartender is going to get paid.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
then eat at luby's.
View Quote

Never heard of this place.  Google says they "consistently been serving good food at reasonable prices."  What do you have against good food at reasonable prices?  
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#16]
The gratuity has turned more into an obligation. People just tip, I ordered, they brought it, I ate it , here's 20%. How bad would service have to be before we tip 0? Is it more the patron not wanting to be a jerk because "after all the restaurant doesn't really pay them much and anyone can have a bad day" that changed this custom?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:01:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Never heard of this place.  Google says they "consistently been serving good food at reasonable prices."  What do you have against good food at reasonable prices?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
then eat at luby's.

perhaps it's a texas thing--luby's is a cafeteria with no tableside service, hence tipping is not part of the transaction.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm old enough to remember when 10% was considered a good tip. Now it's crept up to 20% or more, and the cost of a meal has escalated along with it. If you order a $20 steak now, you have to add in the cost of the side dishes, the drink, the sales tax, and a 20-25% upcharge for the tip. That could easily take you to $50 or more for that 20-dollar stake dinner. Damn!

To be honest, I try to go to self-serve places that don't involve tipping as much as possible.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

perhaps it's a texas thing--luby's is a cafeteria with no tableside service, hence tipping is not part of the transaction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
then eat at luby's.

I must disagree. They now expect you to tip the lady who comes around and asks you how everything is, and refills your iced tea.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I must disagree. They now expect you to tip the lady who comes around and asks you how everything is, and refills your iced tea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
then eat at luby's.

That's basically how Ryan's and those kinds of places work.  Self-serve food, drinks are refilled by a server, tipping is expected.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

If a employee is providing bad service in any profession then they are let go or do not make it far. Quality of service does not come from the potential to make more money through "tips" but by training, management, and hiring practices.
Go to any Chic-fil-a and see the level of service you will receive,I guarantee you that it will be as good or better than many sit down restaurants. Do they receive tips for their service? no, in fact it is against company policy to accept tips. Why is this? They have a more stringent hiring practice, actually train new employees on customer service, and require management to actively be part of the customer experience and making sure employees do the same.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Do you guys still give 20% at a buffet as opposed to a full service restaurant ? I tip slightly less at a buffet but still leave a few bucks if my drink stays full and she clears the plates in a reasonable time.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#23]
good servers work for tips, bad servers get another job where they don't have to be good to the public like a cop
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did catering in college for not much more than minimum wage.  We had our own facilities (multiple), served large, lavish events, and no tipping.  You worked or you didn't have a job.  Assuming a, frankly magical, cultural shift from tipping servers to not tipping servers (with appropriate increases in pay), I don't see why it wouldn't work out the same way.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't eat out. Problem solved.  >shruggs<

Sir James...
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
then eat at luby's.

yikes.

point stands though--the mr. pinks of the world complain about tipping, but somehow usually wind up in places that have tableside service.  they want the service, but they don't want to pay for it.

and apparently, they aren't bright enough to figure out that a direct tipping service model is everything that's good about capitalism.  want high prices + shitty service?  go to a service compris place, where a server's compensation is part of the unit price, and is fixed regardless of their level of effort.  

incentive--how does it work?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#27]
If the food is cold or late it is the waitress fault. Tip accordingly.

If your needs are met then spread a little love.
Proper waitressing is hard work when they are busy.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Lol.  Thanks for reminding me why I don't go out to eat with most arfcommers.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The cheapness of gun owners boggles the mind.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Goverment employees.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:32:55 PM EDT
[#31]
1 of my New Years resolutions is going to a 10-15% tip margin

WA state just boosted their min wage to $10 and hour and wait staff in this libtard state get FULL minimum wage PLUS tips. Your average schmo at a mid range eatery is banging down $40 an hour waiting tables ? Step up to a nicer restaurant where each tables tab is $200 or so and a waiter is banging down closer to $100 plus an hour. And they are getting $10 hour wages also.

Alittle excessive I think.

I have always been a 15-20% tipper and higher on some occasions in the past. rarely would I stiff a zero tip even when deserved.

My thoughts have changed on this. Give me shitty service and you WILL get zero tip. Good to exceptional service is now 10-15% for me

Others may agree or not - is OK. I aint cheap - its just my new tipping policy for the entire year. I may change next year .... will wait and see how this works out
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We really do show our ass on this forum

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#33]
I pay for quality of service. If I want to tip for extraordinary service I will. But when I tip because I am required too. No, it isn't a tip.

I pay top dollar for folks to work on my house, my car, etc... I don't tip them. They either do the job well and get paid or they don't and not get paid.

Why is waiting tables different?

But the incentive of a good tip will make them work harder. Bullshit.

Want to know what will make them work harder? Merit based bonuses through customer reviews. Continued customer returning for business, etc...

It is the role of the business owner and employer to pay the staff properly and to maintain a proper atmosphere. If an employee slacks off... the employee is terminated. If the wait staff sucks, the owner will learn about it because of a drop in customers. If wait staff is good. Customers will come and come.

Same in retail. Go to some very high end stores and you are waited on hand and foot. No tip at all yet you are treated like a god. Why? Merit based bonuses, sales commission, etc... but no tip at all.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Step up to a nicer restaurant where each tables tab is $200 or so and a waiter is banging down closer to $100 plus an hour.

View Quote

i think your stance is reasonable, but be advised that this particular bit isn't entirely accurate.  in general, servers at restaurants of this price point will often have no more than one seating (3-4 tables) in an entire night.

$100/hr is elite bartender money.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Unless I'm a frequent repeat customer how does giving a 30% tip after service affect the service I have already received?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You don't tip on the quality of the food, you tip on the quality of the service.  And anyone who thinks tipping doesn't affect the quality of service is probably too cheap to ever tip well.

Unless I'm a frequent repeat customer how does giving a 30% tip after service affect the service I have already received?

This.

Although that didn't stop me from doing so at a restaurant out in Katy (Houston suburb). When the waiter came back, I thought he was gonna cry. Evidently, Katy people who eat at Italian restaurants are cheap SOBs. Our waiter did an incredible job while being really busy with some borderline jerks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:40:36 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

WA state just boosted their min wage to $10 and hour and wait staff in this libtard state get FULL minimum wage PLUS tips. Your average schmo at a mid range eatery is banging down $40 an hour waiting tables ? Step up to a nicer restaurant where each tables tab is $200 or so and a waiter is banging down closer to $100 plus an hour. And they are getting $10 hour wages also.

I have always been a 15-20% tipper and higher on some occasions in the past. rarely would I stiff a zero tip even when deserved.

My thoughts have changed on this. Give me shitty service and you WILL get zero tip. Good to exceptional service is now 10-15% for me

Others may agree or not - is OK. I aint cheap - its just my new tipping policy for the entire year. I may change next year .... will wait and see how this works out
View Quote
Waiters are paid $10 an hour in Washington State? I have fucking cops in my neighboring agencies making $12-$15 an hour. Fuck thay noise....

$10 an hour plus tips. No.... sorry but no. Waiting a fucking table isn't rocket science.

Fancy restaurants are different, but the majority of the wait staff at fancy joints aren't as cultured and informed to offer a good pairing. They're the fucking same as the bottom crap on the wall slags.

I'm of the opinion if I have good staff, I'll tip them myselfs because I feel they deserve it. But to be expected to fucking tip. Fuck that.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Same in retail. Go to some very high end stores and you are waited on hand and foot. No tip at all yet you are treated like a god. Why? Merit based bonuses, sales commission, etc... but no tip at all.
View Quote

thank you for proving my point.  the exact same shirt that you buy in high end retail stores for $100 is sold at outlets for $15.  this is a standard part of the high-end retail business model.  so you pay a tremendous premium for all that service...and you have absolutely no choice in the matter.  whether you get good service or bad, you're still going to pay what's on the price tag.  sure, your CSR might get in trouble if you complain, but no one is going to cut you a financial break.

compare this to a tipped establishment, where you have the complete freedom to withhold compensation for unsatisfactory performance.

guess it's not a surprise that a government employee doesn't understand capitalism.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Don't eat out. Problem solved. >shruggs<
Sir James...
View Quote

I don't eat out that much. A 20% tip on top of a 11% food tax on over priced food has caused me to vote with my wallet accordingly.

The thing that baffles me about tipping in food service argument  is places that serve "cheap crap" like McDonalds and Subway have to pay their  employees minimum wage, no one is expected to tip them and they aren't starving,  yet someone that works at a uber expensive steak restaurant that charges $8 for a side of steak fries or $4 for an iced tea gets away with paying their employees far less than McDonalds and would starve if it weren't for tips.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

i think your stance is reasonable, but be advised that this particular bit isn't entirely accurate.  in general, servers at restaurants of this price point will often have no more than one seating (3-4 tables) in an entire night.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Step up to a nicer restaurant where each tables tab is $200 or so and a waiter is banging down closer to $100 plus an hour.

I doubt that.

You are saying the server is waiting on 3-4 tables for an hour and that's it for her / his entire shift ? 1 single hour work at a higher end restaurant and serve 3-4 tables for 60 minutes and then they split ?

Not a chance ...

They are working from around 5pm till 11pm knocking down $100 hr in tips alone during the busy 3 hours ( 6-7-8pm ) That is 4 tables leaving a slim $25 tip each - most likely close to $40-50 tip per table if a bill is $200-300 set of 4 diners. I can see things being slow 5-6 pm and after 9 till closing and maybe they get $80 an hour in tips PLUS wages.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

SARCASM: When I buy tires I don't wanna pay for their SERVICE charge.  The mechanic should just add that service charge into the price.

Restaurant owner here.  

I have seen servers BOLT from the door when a known non-tipper comes in.  Not too long ago we finally had to tell one lady that she wasn't welcome here anymore because she never tipped, NEVER.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#42]
meh I don't tip.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
[douchebag haute cuisine asshole rant on]

In higher end restaurants the gratuity is a sign of appreciation not for the menial physical tasks of bringing you your food, but for the input and pairing abilities of the waiter or sommelier.

A good waiter can tell you off the top of their head exactly what is in a dish, what is done to prepare it, what drink goes best with it, what is a good appetizer to lead into it, etc. That skill and knowledge is learned and developed, it is an indicator of a person who enjoys their trade... and is what you are grateful for as it increases the enjoyment of your meal. A good waiter / sommelier can turn a ho hum meal into a real treat.

I think it has already been said but that level of knowledge and input is virtually nonexistant at Chillis or Hooters. Heck, the wait staff at family feed bag shit on the walls restaurants barely know what is on the fixed in stone same thing at every location menu let alone have any of their own input on it outside of "I, like, really love the, like, nachos". Basically it means you are tipping Amber (or Cherri or Lynne or whoever) to not fuck up and to keep your drink filled, pure and simple. But you can't punish them because the system gives them pennies and you have to make up the other half of their paycheck.

I'd love to see chain places and glorified McDonalds with utensils joints just drop the pretense and pay their people a fixed wage and leave the gratuity for the professionals.

[/douchebag haute cuisine asshole rant off]
View Quote

At our favorite restaurant, our regular waitress also remembers our allergies and food and wine preferences. My fiancee has enough American Indian genes that she got the "ability" to taste celery--for people with that gene highly expressed, celery is really, really bitter to the point where it will drown out all other flavors. (Cilantro and parsley are in the same family.)

ETA: While tasing celery might be fun, she's actually tasting celery.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
thank you for proving my point.  the exact same shirt that you buy in high end retail stores for $100 is sold at outlets for $15.  this is a standard part of the high-end retail business model.  so you pay a tremendous premium for all that service...and you have absolutely no choice in the matter.  whether you get good service or bad, you're still going to pay what's on the price tag.  sure, your CSR might get in trouble if you complain, but no one is going to cut you a financial break.

compare this to a tipped establishment, where you have the complete freedom to withhold compensation for unsatisfactory performance.

guess it's not a surprise that a government employee doesn't understand capitalism.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I owned and ran a FFL... nice try though. We shut down do to expanding into fishing. That killed us.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:46:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Honest question:

How many folks here actually have a "favorite" wait person they actually know by name? Have any of you called your favorite restaurant and asked if your favorite waiter / waitress was working that night? And then asked if you could be seated in or have a reservation in their section? I've done it.

Good wait staff is indispensable in fine dining. The waiter I like has never steered me wrong and I actually credit him with expanding my palate with choices I myself would never had made. I will always request to be seated in his section if he is working on the nights we go to that restaurant and he always exceeds my expectations and gets a hefty tip from me. He even knows my wife and I by name, and we only eat there perhaps once every two months or more.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

SARCASM: When I buy tires I don't wanna pay for their SERVICE charge.  The mechanic should just add that service charge into the price.

Restaurant owner here.  

I have seen servers BOLT from the door when a known non-tipper comes in.  Not too long ago we finally had to tell one lady that she wasn't welcome here anymore because she never tipped, NEVER.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Restaurant owner here.  

But.. mechanics do add the service charge to the price...  I'm told up front the total I'm expected to pay for the service I'm asking them to perform.  Is that not normal?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Waiters are paid $10 an hour in Washington State? I have fucking cops in my neighboring agencies making $12-$15 an hour. Fuck thay noise....  

$10 an hour plus tips. No.... sorry but no. Waiting a fucking table isn't rocket science.

Fancy restaurants are different, but the majority of the wait staff at fancy joints aren't as cultured and informed to offer a good pairing. They're the fucking same as the bottom crap on the wall slags.

I'm of the opinion if I have good staff, I'll tip them myselfs because I feel they deserve it. But to be expected to fucking tip. Fuck that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup $10 hr MINIMUM - many are making higher I am certain as that is state MINIMUM wage here.

Exactly why I went to my New Years 10-15% tipping policy
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because the cooks make $15 an hour and the waitresses $2.65 (here in MI).

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#49]
FSA much? A tip is an incentive.

I wouldn't dine at a place where the waiters are paid less than what I would tip them.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't believe there are people willing to be a cop for 12-15 bucks an hour. Fuck that noise.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top