Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/24/2001 9:28:07 PM EDT
I don't know if some people are green or just plain dumb.  What is the most stupid gun related question you have ever been asked? -- Mine would be a toss up between, "If I drill the brake and barrel and weld in a pin, how will the bullet get out, wont it hit the pin?" or "you say a .22 rifle is good for squrrel hunting, would'nt I be better off with a 30-06, I could shoot them from a long way off."-- These were all serious questions, makes you wanna say, Whaaaat.--ALLONS11
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:31:34 PM EDT
[#1]
One of my favorites is "Why do you want a garand?  Just get a standard remington 30-06."

I heard that one just a couple of days ago.

Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:36:39 PM EDT
[#2]
"why do you need one of those?"
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

OOOOO Good one!
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Is that legal to have?
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:47:04 PM EDT
[#6]
After being asked what caliber my AR was, I responded .223. He didn’t think too much of it and said how his dad had a copy of a M16 that was .22 caliber. Then this was his response after seeing the .223 cartridge, “Holy crap, those are long range rifle bullets!" I should have laughed at him, but I just thought to myself what a tool he was.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:54:43 PM EDT
[#7]
This wasn't a stupid question, but just plain stupid. I tell a friend that a TEC-9 shoots 9mm Luger's. He tells me that they don't. I asked, "what do they shoot then?" He said, "TEC-9 bullets." I laughed in his face... LOL

A stupid question I remember is, "If I take the disconnector off my rifle, wouldn't it be a full-auto?" Yeah, if you want to die.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:08:05 PM EDT
[#8]
How about this one eveyone heres "Why do you need another gun? you already have one"[:(!]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:14:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#10]
"Is that gun legal...???"
Yes, I always bring a bunch of illegal firearms with me everytime I go to the range.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#12]
If it's gas operated were do you put in the gas???
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:39:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:56:44 PM EDT
[#14]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=63011[/url]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 11:49:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 2:12:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Must have been the wife asking, I hear the same thing every time I come home from the gun show / shop  [:)>]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 2:19:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Another vote for "Aren't those Illegal?"

I get that constantly.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 2:33:37 AM EDT
[#18]
I was in a shop with a buddy, BS'ing with the owner. Some total rookie was in there, looking at an SKS. I was looking over an old SAMCO Import Swede Mauser.
He asks what gun I was looking at. I tell him "A Swede Mauser"
He says- "Lemme guess. 6.5X55- Right?"
He knew the answer. He just wanted to say it out loud, so we would think he knew something.
I replied, "No, it's one of the rare Swede Mausers- The one chambered in .416 Rigby. They are very valueable. Don't tell the owner. He must've mispriced it- This gun is worth a FORTUNE!- But I don't have the money to buy it [:(]"  The rookie took it hook, line, and sinker.
I shot Will (shop owner) a wink, and left. Next time I came back, he was rolling laughing, telling me about how that fool had raced to the ATM, got out $250, and bought the gun, thinking it was some rare variant...

Another one was this kid who called a FAL Rifle (Fusil Automatique Leiger) A "fall"
He kept saying
"Man, that's a nice "fall" you guys got up there" Like, he was pronouncing the abbreviation for FAL, thinking it was a word.
I asked him what a "fall" was-
He got all snooty, and pointed to the rifle on teh rack (Thinking he was giving me a lesson)

I told him that i'd never heard an AR called an "are", nor had I ever heard anyone call an AK an "ack", so calling a F.A.L. a "fall" was a bit foriegn to me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 2:51:50 AM EDT
[#19]
When I worked as a Range Officer on a public shooting facility, I heard and witnessed som of the most amazing things. They lead me to agree with training courses before being allowed to purchase a firearm. Including Military personel.

1. Watched a guy take a new muzzle loader T/C hawken 50 cal. Proceed to fill it to the muzzle with 3f powder and ask me , while holding the wrong size ball in hand this. " Now where is this supposed to go? " . Mind you there wasnt a patch in sight or even a proper fitting projectile.

2. I watched one guy lay on top of the shooting bench. ( 2' x 3' ) . feet and arms dangling off with a remington 30-06 semi-auto. As he was trying to load it I kindly explained to him this practice is frowned upon. Then re-read the instructions i gave him earlier. Along with everyone else. He was so pissed off showig me Military ID and screaming this is how they do it in the army! To make him not look like an ass I explained this is a civilian range. But he was so mad . He started packing. Then he tried to walk downrange to retrieve his target ! while 35 guys were blazing away !
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 2:58:14 AM EDT
[#20]
The most stupid question:

Is it loaded?

And to be honest, if someone doesn't know the answer, in my mind it really isn't a stupid question. The only truly stupid statement I've read so far is what the Armani suit replied to the suggestion that he take a safety course. after buying what appeared to be his first firarm.

Sure you'll figure it out but will you survive the experience??

(edited for clarity of thought at 7:00 am after a graveyard shift)
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 3:12:29 AM EDT
[#21]
You all forgot the most famous of all...

"Is that a Machine Gun?"
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 3:24:53 AM EDT
[#22]
From my sister (left-coast, left-wing variety), "For target shooting, why can't you just use blanks?".
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 3:48:46 AM EDT
[#23]
"That's easy to turn into a machine gun.  All you have to do is file down the shear pin."

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 4:14:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Customer, checking out a Browning Composite Stalker...

"Where's that thing that goes on the end of the barrel?"

Clerk, "Excuse me sir, thing?"

Customer, "Ya, that thing that is supposed to be on top of the end of the barrel!"

Clerk, "Do you mean...the front sight?"

Customer, "Ya, that's it."

Clerk, "Sir, this rifle is intended to be used with a scope, it does not have open sights."

Customer, "Oh, O.K.  I'll take it."

Clerk, "Sir, do you want to look at some scopes?"

Customer, "Na, I'll get a scope a day or two before my hunt."

Next time you hunt public lands remember...He is out there, somewhere!
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 4:50:14 AM EDT
[#25]
I watched a guy come down to the range about 40 minutes before closing. He had just purchased minutes ago a ruger 77. It was a limited run 7.62x39 stainless with synthetic stock. No sights . He put the rings on and then started shooting. I asked what are you doing ? He said " trying to sight this sucker in" , " why ? what did you think i was doing? " . I then clamly explained how guns, scopes, and the world operates. He cooled off. I quit minutes later when he almost shot me in the chest with the mini-30 he just bought . The gun fired and he was so excited he swung around to talk to his buddy. Not realizing the gun reloads itself. He apologized. But i remember the " do all semi-auto matic reload like that ? " , " I mean, man thats dangerous! "
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:02:46 AM EDT
[#26]
"Why doesn't the Glock have a safety?  Isn't that dangerous? It could go off..."
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:08:32 AM EDT
[#27]
I was trying to explain how a cartridge works to a co-worker. I showed her some slugs I recovered downrange to demonstrate the "mushroom" effect. After my little presentation she asked, "where did the rest of the bullet go?". I started to explain jacket separation when I realized she was talking about the brass case. Even though I covered case extraction and ejection she thought the whole cartridge went down range. I probably should of explained the concept better to begin with but I guess I assumed too much. When I finally got her straight I could tell this was a major revelation to her.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 6:04:36 AM EDT
[#28]
"Is this thing loade..."
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 6:16:31 AM EDT
[#29]

The most stupid gun question??  
View Quote

Is AK better than AR?
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 6:37:57 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Is AR better than AK?
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:11:34 AM EDT
[#31]
How about the stupidest thing you've seen someone do while operating a firearm.

1: The mag falls out of the grip on a pistol while the person firing is looking for the safety.
2: Anyone who takes the mag out of a loaded pistol then begins treating it like an unloaded firearm.
3: Trying to stuff a 12 gauge shell in a 20 gauge shotgun.
4: Sighting a rifle in without a rest.
5: Using a coke can on a dirt mound to sight a rifle in.

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:18:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is AK better than AR?
View Quote

Quoted:

View Quote

Is AR better than AK?
View Quote

Man, that's just weird!!!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:27:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I quit minutes later when he almost shot me in the chest with the mini-30 he just bought . The gun fired and he was so excited he swung around to talk to his buddy. Not realizing the gun reloads itself. He apologized. But i remember the " do all semi-auto matic reload like that ? " , " I mean, man thats dangerous! "
View Quote

No kidding - I had a step-sister do that to me
with my own AK once - [b]AFTER[/b] I'd explained
to her how it operated.  I hit the f'in deck
[b]NOW[/b] - as soon as she realized why I was
on the ground she pointed the rifle downrange -
laughing.  "You should've seen the look on your
face!"  No shit.  Give me the damned rifle -
you're done here.  Some people are too stupid
to handle firearms.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:34:37 AM EDT
[#34]
him: you hunt coyote with that AR?
me: yeah, why not?
him: that's a great way to get someone killed!
me: you mean like a coyote?
him: no, people! aren't those rifles meant to kill people?
me: [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:38:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Thats a scary rifle...(MY AR)
Do you kill babies with it....actually asked by a women she must of been a vietnam era hippy [:D]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:46:25 AM EDT
[#36]
where do I put the bullets in?
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:48:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:58:24 AM EDT
[#38]
How about "What do you need another mag for?"  or "30rds? isn't that a lot?"

My favorite is the "what do you need that for?" asked by a salesman at a gunstore. I handed him back the gun and walked out, I don't have to justify my reasons for buying one.
Ice
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:01:39 AM EDT
[#39]
A guy took one look at my new ar 3 weeks ago and said "wow, is that thing a cannon?"
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I was trying to explain how a cartridge works to a co-worker. I showed her some slugs I recovered downrange to demonstrate the "mushroom" effect. After my little presentation she asked, "where did the rest of the bullet go?". I started to explain jacket separation when I realized she was talking about the brass case. Even though I covered case extraction and ejection she thought the whole cartridge went down range. I probably should of explained the concept better to begin with but I guess I assumed too much. When I finally got her straight I could tell this was a major revelation to her.
View Quote

She probably grew up watching old bugs bunny elmer fudd cartoons. They always showed the bullet coming out of the gun with the brass case still attached (even in a shotgun if i remember). Of course we all learned the bugs bunny weapons disarmament technique from those cartoons also...put you finger in the muzzle and when the gun goes off the barrel explodes and you are fine. (except for elmer [B)])

As far as most stupid question...I was at the range the other day shooting IPSC targets with the AR and two goofs show up and start setting up their stuff. I talked to them a little and they seemed goofier by the minute. The one doof was an 'expert shooter who has trained many people how to shoot' and the other guy was the newbie trainee.

They asked what i was shooting with and i told them "Bushmaster AR-15".  The 'expert' (i just love that term) said his protege..."yeah that is a lot like an AK-47".  

"Well, I replied, "it is alot closer to a M-16 than an AK."

'Yep, he said, just like an AK-47'[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#41]
I have a Tec-9 customed tapped with a PDP3 mounted.  It has an extended barrel shroud, assault sling, and a 50 round mag.  I get odd questions/comments about the gun every time I take it out of the case.

Aren't those illegal?
Only gangsters use those, don't they?
You better not let a cop see that.
You don't need a gun that looks like that, do you?

Friend: What kind of bullets does that take?
Me: 9mm
Friend:  Just regular 9mm?
Me:  Umm, yeah, what other kind would it use?
Friend:  Oh, I thought it used Tec-9 bullets.
Me:  No.
Friend:  Then why is it called a Tec?
Me:  ...

These people are my true definitions of idiots!
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#42]
An ex-girlfriend picked up a .22lr and said 'Aw isn't it cute. This couldn't hurt anybody!' Maybe that's why she's an ex!
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#43]
"I thought those M16 thingys were illiegal"

"Is my shotgun barrel bent? It always hits right behind the duck."

From an "expert" 'Nam vet,
"You see, M16's aren't good for combat 'cause they just fire a .22."

"What do you mean I can't fire .357's in my .38?"

"Why do you need high cap mags?"

"Glocks can go through medal detectors because they're made out of wood. That's why they stopped making them."

"I hold 1 foot high when the deer is over 50 yards away so I can compensate for the drop of my 20g."

"My unlce is a gun expert. He has a 7mm and says he can hit a deer at a 1000 yards easy."

"You see son, the faster a bullet goes, the more accurate it is."

"Where's the scope on this thing?"

"I'm pretty sure I'm a better shot than you. I go deer hunting almost every year."

"Can I fire my glock under water?"
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#44]
"the bullet from my deer rifle doesn't start to drop until 200 yards"
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:03:56 AM EDT
[#45]
I took two ex-friends (women) to a gun store while making a beer run.  "You don't mind, I just need to pick up some ammo."  They agreed.

We walked in the store, and I went up to the range to make my purchases.  Meanwhile, these two adult females were huddled together, fearful.  I got some strange looks.

We walked out and I asked them what the matter was.  "That man had a gun!"

"Well, duh, it is a gun store."

"But he could have killed someone!"

[:|]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:13:04 AM EDT
[#46]
*** IS THAT GUN YOU ARE CARYING LOADED?***

I worked parttime at a gunshop for a year or so and I carried my G-21 most nights.  I had a customer ask if it was loaded....

I also dated a girl and I was at her place working and I removed my gun from an IWB holster.  While she didn't seem to mind the gun, she did ask if it was loaded....

**** AS A RELATED ASIDE ****

The funiest question/reaction came one night when I was out deer hunting and a game warden was sitting at my truck waiting.  He asked to see my gun and instead of me handing him my rifle, I reached under my vest and pulled out a 44 MAG.  His eyes about bugged out and I laughed!
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My favorite is the "what do you need that for?" asked by a salesman at a gunstore. I handed him back the gun and walked out, I don't have to justify my reasons for buying one.
Ice
View Quote

I got one of that too when I asked about special ordering a target pistol: "That gun is expensive.  Why do you want one?" from a gun store OWNER.  I just tell him "Gee, you sounded like my wife".

"Is that a Japanese one?  Can't have bayonet on that."  A range officer pointing at my Russian SKS with attached bayonet.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
He asked to see my gun and instead of me handing him my rifle, I reached under my vest and pulled out a 44 MAG.  His eyes about bugged out and I laughed!
View Quote

Well at least you did not pull your pants down (this is my rifle..this is my gun) [:D]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:38:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Everytime I go to the public range at redlands, I hear and see stupid, dangerous things.  My favs: redneck dumps major cash on Weatherby 7mmWeatherby, buys one box of Weatherby 7mm weatherby at $40 a box and proceeds to "sight her in" at 50 yards (huge 50mm $50 scope on "see thru" rings no less) firing off the back of redneck #2.  "She'll be good to 6 to 800 I recon"  He smiles as he walks off.   2.  Redneck #3 shows off new 7mm weatherby (boy they are popular around here) saying he had to get rid of his '06 because his bullets weren't getting "half way there".  Sheesh.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#50]
From a Filipino girl who IMed me one night:
"Why do you need a handgun to feel safe?  Do you think everybody is out to get you?"

From a girl that one of my daughters went to school with when she came home for a study group:
Girl, "Why do you have soooooo many guns?"
Me, "I collect them."
Girl, "Why would you want to collect thing that kill people?"
(I knew that this girl's father collected and restored classic cars)
Me, "Why does your father collect cars?"
Girl, "Because they have historic significance and they are cool."
Me, "Your dad's cars have killed more people than my guns."
Girl, "That's not true."
Me, "Take driver's ed."

Instructor (female) at a 'Safe Woman' seminar I attended with my wife:
Instructor, "Police say you shouldn't carry a gun because they will only be used against you."
Me, "Then what the Hell are you supposed to use?"
Instructor, "Pepper spray, sirens, martial arts training, and stun guns."
Me, "Why are those things any less likely to be used against you?"
Instructor, "Because that's what the police say."

And the classic ending right before we got up and left:
Instructor, "Do you want to kill somebody?"

"Do what you will,
just don't expect intelligence from non-gun owners."
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top