Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Your superiority complex is shining through.

Quoted:
I was in a shop with a buddy, BS'ing with the owner. Some total rookie was in there, looking at an SKS. I was looking over an old SAMCO Import Swede Mauser.
He asks what gun I was looking at. I tell him "A Swede Mauser"
He says- "Lemme guess. 6.5X55- Right?"
He knew the answer. He just wanted to say it out loud, so we would think he knew something.
I replied, "No, it's one of the rare Swede Mausers- The one chambered in .416 Rigby. They are very valueable. Don't tell the owner. He must've mispriced it- This gun is worth a FORTUNE!- But I don't have the money to buy it [:(]"  The rookie took it hook, line, and sinker.
I shot Will (shop owner) a wink, and left. Next time I came back, he was rolling laughing, telling me about how that fool had raced to the ATM, got out $250, and bought the gun, thinking it was some rare variant...

Another one was this kid who called a FAL Rifle (Fusil Automatique Leiger) A "fall"
He kept saying
"Man, that's a nice "fall" you guys got up there" Like, he was pronouncing the abbreviation for FAL, thinking it was a word.
I asked him what a "fall" was-
He got all snooty, and pointed to the rifle on teh rack (Thinking he was giving me a lesson)

I told him that i'd never heard an AR called an "are", nor had I ever heard anyone call an AK an "ack", so calling a F.A.L. a "fall" was a bit foriegn to me.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Another one was this kid who called a FAL Rifle (Fusil Automatique Leiger) A "fall"
He kept saying
"Man, that's a nice "fall" you guys got up there" Like, he was pronouncing the abbreviation for FAL, thinking it was a word.
I asked him what a "fall" was-
He got all snooty, and pointed to the rifle on teh rack (Thinking he was giving me a lesson)

I told him that i'd never heard an AR called an "are", nor had I ever heard anyone call an AK an "ack", so calling a F.A.L. a "fall" was a bit foriegn to me.
View Quote

Hey Landon, I call them FAL's too!  
c-rock
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The most stupid question:

Is it loaded?
View Quote

Yep, I'd have to agree with that one.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How about "What do you need another mag for?"  or "30rds? isn't that a lot?"

My favorite is the "what do you need that for?" asked by a salesman at a gunstore. I handed him back the gun and walked out, I don't have to justify my reasons for buying one.
Ice
View Quote

That is stupid!
c-rock
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#5]
No, [b]THIS IS STUPID!...[/b]
I was told by a guy that the police used hollowpoint bullets because they shatter apart when they hit the target!  He went on to say that the police dont want to kill people so they use these.  "They just leave a really big welt."  

[b]NOW THATS STUPID!!!!![/b]

we went round and round about this until I realized what I was doing!  -DUH!  Give it up!

-still seems unbelievable to me.

Nuckles.   [smash]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No, [b]THIS IS STUPID!...[/b]
I was told by a guy that the police used hollowpoint bullets because they shatter apart when they hit the target!  He went on to say that the police dont want to kill people so they use these.  "They just leave a really big welt."  
quote]

(Frothy spray of Pepsi covers the monitor and keyboard) ROTFLMAO. Nuckles, you've done it again!![puke]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#7]
In a gun store with a buddy about a month ago, when in walks average joe america with his wife and small baby! Goes to the rifle counter and asks to see an AR, but he wants one "that shoots that military ammunition not that .223 shit".
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#8]
The one I always get asked....

"What do you want something like that for?"
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#9]
This happened about 6 weeks ago.  I was at the local range shooting my Garand.  After I finished my 8, I set the rifle back on the rack and was approached by an off-duty LEO.  His first question was where he could get an authentic 03A4 scope for his 03A3.  His next question was; Did you put that flash suppressor on that AR15 over there?  Later that day, I overheard him telling this other guy that he only shoots Black Talons, because he heard a story that a guy got shot in the shoulder and it blew the guys arm off at the elbow.  The best one of the day was that he had 6 guns at home he could not shoot because each one had a bullet stuck in the barrel.  So much for them reloads.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Took the AR to the Bristol WI range. Lot's of hunters doing the once a year sight in.

Most common question:

"Aren't those illegal?"

Av.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#11]
"Can I buy a full assault subguns in a foreign country and bring it back into the US without breaking the law? Can I ship it back?"

[;)]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This happened about 6 weeks ago.  I was at the local range shooting my Garand.  After I finished my 8, I set the rifle back on the rack and was approached by an off-duty LEO.  His first question was where he could get an authentic 03A4 scope for his 03A3.  His next question was; Did you put that flash suppressor on that AR15 over there?  Later that day, I overheard him telling this other guy that he only shoots Black Talons, because he heard a story that a guy got shot in the shoulder and it blew the guys arm off at the elbow.  The best one of the day was that he had 6 guns at home he could not shoot because each one had a bullet stuck in the barrel.  So much for them reloads.
View Quote

I saw enough of Indiana law enforcement at the range to really scare me sometimes. Most of the time.

On the flip side, the only time I ever had my P-95 jam, I could not get the mag out, or the slide to operate.  The guy next to me showed how you just have to yank the hell outa the magazine.  Turns out he was a LEO and was very knowledgable about firearms.  It scares me that I don't think he is the majority.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#13]
1."If I put my eye real close to the end of the barrel and a little to the side,Do you think I could see the bullet come out?"
2."Oh whats that bad black thing on the end of the barrel?" Poly Choke, extremly scarey to some folks.
3."Can I buy more than 100 rds of ammo at a time?"
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 12:09:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Looking down a muzzleloader to see if its loaded
using a lit cigerette, really this did happen
unfortunately the guy lost his life over it!
i belieave in gun rights but there is just some people that do not need to keep there hands off
of them period...
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
"Why doesn't the Glock have a safety?  Isn't that dangerous? It could go off..."
View Quote

I think it's a generational thing because my father-in-law says exactly the same thing. He's also real nervous about carrying a pistol with a round in the chamber, even with the newest models, that are specifically designed not to fire unless the trigger is purposfully pulled. I guess old habits die hard. [smoke]

My favorite dumb gun line...

I was serving as a pistol instructor at the Naval Academy when my plebe took aim downrange and pulled the trigger. Nothing happened. He turned to me and, [b]pointing the damned thing straight at my gut[/b] said, "Sir, my gun won't work..." [>:/]

I was helping his classmate at the time, so I didn't see him turn. I turned around to answer his question only to find a 9mm Beretta pointing at me from about six inches away with a round potentially cooking off in the barrel!

[SHOCK]

A quick maneuver and the weapon was again pointing safely downrange. The round never did go off, fortunately, but I could have [b]KILLED[/b] the little bastard! [:(!]

I spent the next ten minutes giving him a good old-fashioned Navy "calibration"... [stick]

Believe it or not, he went on to shoot Expert while I only managed Sharpshooter. Go figure... [:\]

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#16]
heres a couple. i was out shooting one afternoon and had my normal wide assortment of guns.while i was shooting a couple of guys came over to oggle a little.one guy says "what the hell is that" pointing to my 45-70 contender.i told him it was a hand cannon and asked if he wanted to shoot it.i asked if he had ever shot a pistol with a scope on it."oh yeh shoot'm all the time". he proceeds to hold the scope about 2-3" from his eye. i thought  oh shi* thats going to hurt. i caught my pistol as he went flying backwards already bleeding profusely.as he was rolling around crying i couldn't help but think about how many stiches it was going to take to close his eye. it had a 3"gash. when he got to his feet he asked if he could shoot it again. i guess dumber than a rock is an appropriate description...[sex]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Why doesn't the Glock have a safety?  Isn't that dangerous? It could go off..."
View Quote

I think it's a generational thing because my father-in-law says exactly the same thing. He's also real nervous about carrying a pistol with a round in the chamber, even with the newest models, that are specifically designed not to fire unless the trigger is purposfully pulled. I guess old habits die hard. [smoke]
View Quote

What gets me is about 75% of the people who say that either started shooting by using revolvers or have revolvers now...........Where's the safety on a revolver??????????
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Took the AR to the Bristol WI range. Lot's of hunters doing the once a year sight in.

Most common question:

"Aren't those illegal?"

Av.
View Quote

I got some funny looks there too, but when I went to go check my targets at the 100 yrd range, and smile.........
c-rock
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 12:54:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What gets me is about 75% of the people who say that either started shooting by using revolvers or have revolvers now...........Where's the safety on a revolver??????????
View Quote

Dang!  Ya beat me to it.... [:D]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 12:59:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I get so sick of the "what do you need that for?" question.  All it takes is a heavy barreled Rem. 700 and I get that question.  Like they automatically figure I'm gonna use it to take people out at 1000 yards.  Too many people in this world are just damn ignorant.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Don't know if this one has come up.......married guys more than likely hear this...

"Do you really need another gun?"

The answer is no. Do I really want another gun? Yes
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I usually get in arguments about the 2nd amendment and the "It can't happen here... this is the USA!"  Also the usual questions, "Does it need to be registered?"; "Is it legal?"; "Why do you need so many guns?"  Just the usual crap.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#24]
What I like is the people who don't know the difference between cartridge and caliber, but yet they can tell the difference in the hole made if it was a .30 carbine or a .300 Win. Mag., without the brass around. Or a 9mm vs. a .38 spl., even though they are with'in a couple mills. of each other. They can tell with the naked eye.
I like when they ask what CAL. my AR is, and I just say a .22, or that my 45/70 sharps is the same cal. as there 1911 .45 auto. and they are all confused. Than I just tell them that a cartridge is the complete unit, caliber is just the bullet diam. There is a big difference.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 1:41:47 PM EDT
[#25]
"Did you buy another gun?"
Dumb question from my wife since she already knows the answer!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 1:43:05 PM EDT
[#26]
"Why do you need more than one bullet?"

"You want a toddler to be able to get an assault weapon that can be easily converted to be a machine gun, don't you?"

"Do what you will,
just keep the liberals away mommy."
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#27]
I used to have a friend that worked in a gun store in Baltimore City, so I used to go in there and hang out sometimes....

One day these two guys come in, pants around the knees, one with a bloody towel sticking out of his nose. One of the guys proceeds to ask for .38 Special 9mm hollowpoint bullets and a clip, my friend starts explaining that there is no such thing as a .38 Special 9mm bullet and he needs to know what gun the 'clip' is for in order to sell him the right one. Well after arguing with the guy for about half an hour about there being no such caliber, he goes out to his car and comes back with a .380 Makarov that the serial # had been ground off of.

My friend told him that he didn't carry that kind of ammunition (just to get this idiot out of the store)and that carrying a gun around with the serial # ground off would land him in jail if he was caught with it, he replied that he wasn't allowed to have a gun anyway because he had a record and was buying it for a friend............

Gotta love the city
-John
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
him: you hunt coyote with that AR?
me: yeah, why not?
him: that's a great way to get someone killed!
me: you mean like a coyote?
him: no, people! aren't those rifles meant to kill people?
me: [rolleyes]
View Quote

LMAO!
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 2:39:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Don't know if this one has come up.......married guys more than likely hear this...

"Do you really need another gun?"

The answer is no. Do I really want another gun? Yes
View Quote

I use a variation of that line...it goes like this.

Do I need another gun....no

Do I want another gun....yes

Did I need to marry you ....no

Did I want to marry you....yes

Any more questions??

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Did you sign that out from the base armory?
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Courtesy of my cousin--"If you get too many guns its classified as an arsenal and you can be arrested!"  Yeah, OK, whatever.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Had the "What do you need one of those for?" from a co-worker. Ansewered him "to scare the hell outta ppl like you."

Best one I ever had was another co-worker asking "If I saw 6 inches off my 16ga Belgium Browning, will it open up my shot pattern?" [shock] I offered to buy it from him so he could buy something that patterned better, like maybe give him enough for an 870, hehehe, but he insisted his dad gave it to him and he wanted to keep it.

Also had the "Why do you need another gun?" from the wife.  I was amazed.  First time she ever asked me that.  I asked her why she needed another ceramic bear.  End of questioning.

Stupid things I've seen:

Recruits at Parris Island.  One shot the tip of his finger off.  Claimed he was trying to unwrap his sling from end of barrel.

Had countless recruits point loaded M-16's at me.  Snatch thier rifle and pull them off line.  Let there Drill Instructor know why and hand them over.  Stand back and watch the fun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Just had a horrible thought...If they ever combine shooting ranges with boatramps, we are truly screwed.              oh yes, Stay safe
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#34]
".22 bb caps are just like blanks, you can use these in nail guns, too." from a gun shop employee in Azusa, Ca.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I only show pics of my rifles to people that are close to me and that I know well enough that I am sure they will keep their mouths shut.  Yet I still recieve this on occassion.
"Are you a psycho?"
Some people just don't get that they are enjoyable to shoot and a good hobby; which I then try to explain.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#36]
When people asked what I collected, I used to say "Guns from WW1 and 2." Never semed to go over well.

Now I just tell them I collect paper currency from around the world.... [%|]

Av.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Here's one I got day before yesterday.  I'm out trying out my new SBR that I built.  Guy walks over, asks "Is that a MG"?  I tell him no that I can't afford a RR M-16.  He looks around kinda like to make sure no one else is around then asks "Can you make into one"?  At this point I roll my eyes and proceed to tell him how I don't really want to be Bubba's girlfriend in a federal pen.  Truth be told I don't think a damn bit of it registered in that thick skull.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Here's one I got day before yesterday.  I'm out trying out my new SBR that I built.  Guy walks over, asks "Is that a MG"?  I tell him no that I can't afford a RR M-16.  He looks around kinda like to make sure no one else is around then asks "Can you make into one"?  At this point I roll my eyes and proceed to tell him how I don't really want to be Bubba's girlfriend in a federal pen.  Truth be told I don't think a damn bit of it registered in that thick skull.
View Quote

Truth being he could have been a Federal Agent setting you up! i would strictly say a big NO!
just a thought, i get mad! and nervous when they
ask...
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
From my sister (left-coast, left-wing variety), "For target shooting, why can't you just use blanks?".
View Quote

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nothing else to say....you win!

No_Expert
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Variation on a Theme.

As a teenager,(long ago), I was shooting the China Lake Gun Club's .22 LR target rifle at the pratically deserted range one night, trying to get my trigger control down, and shrink my groups.  Only one other guy was there, shooting a pistol.

During a lull in the firing, I asked him if he bothered shooting military firearms.  I mentioned that I had a Springfield, and my brother had a Mauser.

Our fellow was one of those gun-snobs.

"I don't own any military firearms.  No one needs them. blah blah blah..."

It only occurred to me on the drive home that the guy had been shooting a stock Government Model .45 acp!
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:57:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The most stupid question:

Is it loaded?
View Quote

Yep, I'd have to agree with that one.

God Bless Texas
View Quote

got it beat, today at work, I'm talking to my coworker about my CCW class I'm going to Saturday, and we have gone to look at guns a couple times duriing lunch lately. So he starts asking if I'm gonna carry that "big gun" like I looked at or buy a new smaller one. I said I planned on carrying the one I got (or maybe the other one I got)...and he says...

"you not actually gonna have that thing loaded and stuck in your pocket are you?"

NO, I'll have it in a holster, and loaded... sort of defeats the purpose of carrying if you have the magazine out of the gun and in another pocket!

This guy is former Navy aircraft mechanic. knows nothing about weapons (cause in the Navy guns are 16" barrels on ships) had a dummy rifle for "drill" in boot camp, and thde only pistol he ever fired was the one day in boot camp...firing a .45 with a .22 conversion!

I rag him mercelessly, as a jarhead should!

No_Expert
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:11:40 PM EDT
[#42]
This Tuesday I was showing a friend here at college a picture of my AR, AK, and SKS. After I explain the to him what he is looking at he points to the AK and AR and asks if they are the same gun. I said "Yes, yes they are" while making a mental note to never ask for his help in anything concerning academics.

Kyle
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#43]
I've heard most of those posted but the best for me was the guy looking all over for ammo for his 22 handgun. It seems all he could find was 22 Long "Rifle" ammo. LOL
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm working behind the counter at Treasure Island Armory in Fairfax, VA. A customer walks in and wants to know about pistols because he wants to buy his first one and get a CCW.

Over the course of a week he comes in almost every day, and we literally spend hours with this guy, showing him every gun in the inventory, how it operates, how to strip it, features, calibers, etc. He handles them all, dry firing, magazine changes, etc. I can't think of a single gun in the shop that doesn't have this guy's fingerprints on it. By the end of the week, it looks like he's leaning toward a SIG P239, but hasn't decided yet.

The next week he comes into the shop, carrying his brand new SIG P239 that he bought at a gun show because it was $5 cheaper than our price. But he wants to buy a cleaning brush from us for $1.39.

A week later he storms into shop, absolutely fuming about the defective brush we sold him, claiming that it ruined the barrel by gouging out the inside. He's also demanding that we immediately give him a brand new SIG P239 to replace it, or else he's going to call the sheriff and have us arrested! And we better make it quick, because we're making him late to his first CCW Class, and he may make us pay for that, too!

The owner steps up and asks what happened. The customer strips the SIG and hands him the barrel. "See? Look what your brush did to my barrel!!! It put those horrible grooves down the inside!! The barrel is ruined!!! I want another gun right now!!!"

The owner calmly starts explaining that those grooves are called "rifling" and, in fact, they're supposed to be there. The customer calls us "lying sons of bitches" and threatens to call the sheriff again. So we start stripping every pistol in the shop, showing him that all the bores actually do have grooves in them just like his gun, but not until we get to about the 7th or 8th one does he finally start to believe us.

He says "Well, ok then," turns and walks out the door.

What a way to make a living. But don't look in the phone book for Treasure Island Armory - it closed and went out of business. Between the Sports Authority selling Remingtons for $30 less than the shop could buy them for, to gun show dealers with zero overhead who still charge near gun shop prices for guns and rape the customers with no follow up or customer service, we just couldn't make enough to keep the doors open.

Keep that in mind the next time you're buying from a gun show vendor or picking up ammo at Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#45]

I used to think there was no such thing as a 'stupid question'...  only
'stupid answers'...

Then, a few years ago, while handing a firearm over to another fella it
suddenly dawned on me... there *is* ONE 'Stupid Question' for sure...

'Is this gun loaded?'

An that's the name of that tune...

db

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top