Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/13/2007 10:42:49 AM EDT
Has anyone ever seen this classic movie with Charleston Heston? No one at my work has ever seen or heard of it. I thought it was an awesome movie.  I wonder why  you never see it playing on any cable stations. I had read that they are doing a remake but Wil Smith will be the main guy this time & white people will be the zombies..
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Classic Heston movie!!! Love it...and yes they are ripping it off. I think it will be called   Legend.

IIRC Omega Man was a 'rip off' of "I am Legend" which was a book first.

No,No...Making the first movie based on a book is not ripping it off. Re-making the movie under a diferent title is!!!

In that case, Omega Man was a ripoff of "The Last Man on Earth," starring Vincent Price (which was also based on the book "I am Legend").  

That movie sucked,so it doesn't count!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:03:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

"I am Legend").  

That guy posts on here.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:08:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Trailer

BAD LINK!

It works for me.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Classic Heston movie!!! Love it...and yes they are ripping it off. I think it will be called   Legend.

I think "I Am Legend" was the name of the original story.  It will be interesting to see how Will Smith does.  He has some big shoes to fill.

<Matthias>"The bad dream is over.  Neville is dead!"</Matthias>

Omega Man was based very loosly on a book called I Am Legend from the 1950s IIRC.

The new movie with Will Smith is called I am Legend and is based more closely to the book then Omega Man.  Therefore anyone would be hard pressed calling I am Legend a rip off of Omega Man.

+1

The Omega Man was only very loosely based on the original book, I Am Legend. How is making a new movie that follows the source material quite a bit more closely ripping off another movie that barely follows it to begin with?

The Omega Man was kind of cool and was probably much better when compared to movies of its day. Today, its age shows. The cultist aspect was retarded too.

That said, I am eagerly awaiting this new movie.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Trailer

BAD LINK!

It works for me.  

Works fine for me.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I saw the Heston film not long after it came out.  I enjoyed it. I also read the book, which, as is so often the case, was far better than the movie.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:13:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think "I Am Legend" was the name of the original story.  It will be interesting to see how Will Smith does.  He has some big shoes to fill.

Omega Man was based very loosly on a book called I Am Legend from the 1950s IIRC.

The new movie with Will Smith is called I am Legend and is based more closely to the book then Omega Man.  Therefore anyone would be hard pressed calling I am Legend a rip off of Omega Man.

+1

The Omega Man was only very loosely based on the original book, I Am Legend. How is making a new movie that follows the source material quite a bit more closely ripping off another movie that barely follows it to begin with?

Well, as long as the new movie has Will Smith greasing lotsa albino hippies in black robes it should be good.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Well, as long as the new movie has Will Smith greasing lotsa albino hippies in black robes it should be good.  

You're probably going to be very disappointed if you are looking for a remake of the Omega Man. The creatures he will fight are vampire like in nature, not cultists, at least in the original book they were.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#9]
awesome movie it randomly comes on the movie channels so keep an eye out.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:31:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
.. The cultist aspect was retarded too.

Not when you consider what was going on with Cults/Communes at the time.

The movie reflected some of the day's issues (as sci-fi often does).

It was very relevant, because there was alot of paranoia about biological warfare at the time.  President Nixon had just renounced the use of bioweapons a year or two before the movie came out.  The movie was a kind of nightmare scenario of what would happen if any biowarfare organism got out.

Plus, "The Family" were very anti-technology.  They were symbolic of the Hippies/Flower Children of the day.

I saw it when I was about 13 years old and it made a big impression on me. At least the guns did.

Omega Man was one of Charlton Heston's late '60s early '70s "Apocalypse" trilogy, Planet of the Apes and Soylent Green being the others.  While they all may seem simplistic and silly nowadays, they reflected real societal problems and concerns of the time.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Its going to be just as good as IROBOT!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
.. The cultist aspect was retarded too.

Not when you consider what was going on with Cults/Communes at the time.

The movie reflected some of the day's issues (as sci-fi often does).

It was very relevant, because there was alot of paranoia about biological warfare at the time.  President Nixon had just renounced the use of bioweapons a year or two before the movie came out.  The movie was a kind of nightmare scenario of what would happen if any biowarfare organism got out.

Plus, "The Family" were very anti-technology.  They were symbolic of the Hippies/Flower Children of the day.

I saw it when I was about 13 years old and it made a big impression on me. At least the guns did.

Omega Man was one of Charlton Heston's late '60s early '70s "Apocalypse" trilogy, Planet of the Apes and Soylent Green being the others.  While they all may seem simplistic and silly nowadays, they reflected real societal problems and concerns of the time.

Yea!!!....What he said...so there!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Loved it in the 70's or was it the 60's? Seems like such a long time ago.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Excellent movie, one of my favorites.  Got the DVD.  And the VHS.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a feeling that I Am Legend will be much better than The Omega Man, and I am a huge fan of The Omega Man. I have it on DVD and watch it frequently.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Will Smith.  Damn.  That sucks.  Why does Hollywood keep screwing up cool Sci-fi stuff with Will Smith?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:01:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Will Smith.  Damn.  That sucks.  Why does Hollywood keep screwing up cool Sci-fi stuff with Will Smith?

He is a good actor that has a bog box office draw?

I dont know, just a guess...
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#18]
GREAT MOVIE
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Dude are you on dope? I have seen better acting on elementary school playgrounds!
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Caesar and I have seen it
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I have a feeling that I Am Legend will be much better than The Omega Man, and I am a huge fan of The Omega Man. I have it on DVD and watch it frequently.

I'm also a big fan of Omega Man, and I hope that "I Am Legend" will be better.

The previews look awesome.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Ok, to be the best authority on I am Legend you have to do the following:

1. Read the book "I am Legend"

2. Watch the first movie adaptation of the book  "The Last Man on Earth" made in 1964 starring Vincent Price. You can watch it or download it free here...
www.archive.org/details/the-last-man-on-earth

3. Watch the second movie adaptation. "Omega Man" with Charleston Heston

4. Go to see I am Legend when it comes out and then write an essay comparing all of them.

Bonus question...What was the gun Charleston Heston used in Omega Man?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:30:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

2. Watch the first movie adaptation of the book  "The Last Man on Earth" made in 1964 starring Vincent Price. You can watch it or download it free here...
www.archive.org/details/the-last-man-on-earth

VAMPIRE ZOMBIES!
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:31:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Easy, Smith and Wesson M76 SMG.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't forget the M3 carbine with the active IR sight.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#26]
"What kind of rifle did Al Pacino Charlton Heston use in the movie HEAT The Omega Man?"
seriously, what was that thing?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In that case, Omega Man was a ripoff of "The Last Man on Earth," starring Vincent Price (which was also based on the book "I am Legend").  

That movie sucked,so it doesn't count!!!

HEY!! I liked "Last Man on Earth." Flipped me out as a kid...
I found it for $1 last summer on DVD, totally sweet. It's cheesy and slow but oh so enjoyable.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
"What kind of rifle did Al Pacino Charlton Heston use in the movie HEAT The Omega Man?"
seriously, what was that thing?

M76 SMG

M1 (or M2, M3) Carbine with IR light.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mmmm, I'm pretty sure that was a BAR.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm looking forward to this. I don't get nearly enough SHTF movies. Dawn of the Dead 2004 was basically the last one, so I've been jonesin'.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:08:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude are you on dope? I have seen better acting on elementary school playgrounds!

His millions in the bank and many blockbuster successes seem to say otherwise...

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It will be even cooler in the new movie, when Robert Neville uses a M4 to dispatch blood sucking scum.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:35:10 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

His millions in the bank and many blockbuster successes seem to say otherwise...

Some are just lucky like that.. Fall in shit and come out smelling like a rose..

For me I just smell...  
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#34]
It was a British Sterling subgun.  He also had a BAR with an IR scope on it that he used to plink the bad guys with from his balcony.  He actually had a pretty nifty setup for living quarters.  The only thing missing was Barbie the blow up doll.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

No,No...Making the first movie based on a book is not ripping it off. Re-making the movie under a diferent title is!!!

I believe some "original" movies have blown massive chunks, and then remakes made things right.  I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, though.

It's rare to find a movie that's actually true to the book, like The Abyss (which, of course, is as true as it can be, considering all of the "internal" stuff card writes).
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont know, just a guess...

Well thats just what I want to see.  Fresh Prince vs Zombies.  Guess who I will be rooting for.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:22:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Just finished reading the book for the first time.  Author is Richard Matheson, who was one of Steven King's favorite authors when he was a kid.

P.S. In the book, teh zombiez win.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Awesome movie, part of the inspiration for my name. I try to use Omega for login ID's, or some variation thereof.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Just finished reading the book for the first time.  Author is Richard Matheson, who was one of Steven King's favorite authors when he was a kid.

P.S. In the book, teh zombiez win.  

The original screen play for the 90's version was online not too long ago when they were considering the movie with Arnold Shwarzenegger. It was pretty good. If they follow that it won't be like The Omega Man except for location. Would have likedto see the fortified house in LA but doubt it translates well to NY. Will Smith was excellent in Enemy of the State so I have high hopes. I  Robot was ok.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Has anyone ever seen this classic movie with Charleston Heston? No one at my work has ever seen or heard of it. I thought it was an awesome movie.  I wonder why  you never see it playing on any cable stations. I had read that they are doing a remake but Wil Smith will be the main guy this time & white people will be the zombies..

Got it, good movie. You can buy it new or used on amazon.com
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Just Bought "Omega Man" Soilent Green" and "Death Hunt" at Amazon...very cheap!
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:34:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Just turned in the book to the library today, it sucked.  They could make a movie with that purple fucking dinosaur playing Nelville, and it could only help.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Why do they always fuck up remakes?

Worst so far was the rock playing Buford Pusser.

Gotta throw in Wild Wild West with, uh....Will Smith.
I really hope he does a better job with I am Legend.

Quoted:
It's rare to find a movie that's actually true to the book, like The Abyss (which, of course, is as true as it can be, considering all of the "internal" stuff card writes).

Actually, the novel Orson Scott Card wrote is based on James Cameron's screenplay.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#45]
IM a bit torn

I think they could have picked many other better actors than will smith

but he is soild and I think will do a OK job

I am looking forward to seeing it
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:26:43 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Will Smith was excellent in Enemy of the State so I have high hopes.

What?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#47]
So is Will Smith going to bang a white chick in this one?  
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:20:26 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Will Smith was excellent in Enemy of the State so I have high hopes.

What?

Thought 'Enemy of the State' was an excellent movie is all. Read the screen play for when Arhnold was supposed to play the part- thought it was very good. Supposedly that screen play followed the book very well. Always been a fan of 'the Omega Man'. Previews look good for the Will Smith movie so being a fan of this genre of movies...
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 2:14:46 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mmmm, I'm pretty sure that was a BAR.

Yep, BAR.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 2:17:27 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
It was a British Sterling subgun.  He also had a BAR with an IR scope on it that he used to plink the bad guys with from his balcony.  He actually had a pretty nifty setup for living quarters.  The only thing missing was Barbie the blow up doll.

It was a true Honky Paradise.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top