BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/1/2016 12:06:25 PM EDT

The FAA Shut Down Every Drone Club Within 30 Miles of Washington, DC

December 29, 2015 // 11:49 AM EST

The Federal Aviation Administration has shut down at least 36 model aircraft clubs in the Washington, DC area, citing a new, extended no-fly zone for drones around the nation’s capital.

The FAA has been worried about the proliferation of drones for several years now, and in September extended a 15-mile no fly zone surrounding Washington, DC’s National Airport to 30 miles. The FAA has cited national security issues and airspace safety as the main reasons for its DC no-fly zone, called a "Special Flight Rules Area,” but many of the sites shut down have existed for years with no safety concerns. It’s unclear if or when the sites will be allowed to reopen.

Many of the clubs exist in huge fields many miles outside the Washington, DC border in suburban Maryland and Virginia. Fourteen of the 36 sites are accredited by the Academy of Model Aircraft, meaning they generally comply with baseline safety guidelines and are not located near airports.

The DC area has one of the country’s largest drone hobby organizations, called the DC Drone User Group, the existence of which is threatened by this new action. It regularly has fly-ins and meetups in large open fields to introduce people to the hobby. Christopher Vo, the president of the organization, said that the FAA enforcement action is a "show-stopper.”

"In 2016 we're going to try to do more indoor flying events to get around DC area restrictions because the demand is so high to find a place to fly,” Vo told me. "Many of these fields could be down and out for many more months to come.”

Last week, FAA sent an email to the AMA demanding that it shut these sites down because they are within a 30-mile radius of Washington National Airport. A new guideline issued in September made flying drones or model aircraft anywhere within this radius illegal, according to the FAA.

"We are hearing reports that some individuals may be flying inside the SFRA even though they know it is in violation of the current airspace restrictions,” Brian Throop, manager of the FAA’s special operations security group, wrote in an email to the AMA and several flying sites in the area. "We are asking for your help in spreading the word to the National Capital Region model aircraft community that such activity is subject to enforcement action.”

"UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE THE FAA HAS REQUESTED THAT ALL FLYING OPERATIONS BE DISCONTINUED. THIS IS A NO FLY ZONE."

The AMA then passed this message along to its 14 independently-owned and operated clubs in the area, asking them to shut down and imploring them, "Do not contact the FAA on your own.”

"We have every reason to believe that this is a temporary situation,” the AMA wrote in an email to its members. "Persons operating aircraft within the SFRA are subject to civil penalties and or criminal charges.”

Several clubs in the area posted notices on their websites and Facebook groups telling their members that operations are suspended indefinitely. In a separate email, the AMA told clubs in the area that it expected the FAA to reopen the clubs sometime in mid-January, though the agency has rarely made exceptions to its no-fly zone in and around DC.

"You will not need to close the field, only cease operations temporarily, no flying of anything, until mid-January when we expect to get permission to continue operations for all fields … the FAA did indicate they were going to use law enforcement to enforce this,” an email sent by the AMA’s Ray Stinchcomb said. The AMA added that it is working with the FAA to get special permission for its flying clubs to continue operations.

"Effective as soon as you can please post this suggested sign at your flying site:

THIS IS A NO FLY ZONE

UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE THE FAA HAS REQUESTED THAT ALL FLYING OPERATIONS BE DISCONTINUED.

THIS IS A NO FLY ZONE”

It’s worth noting that a 30-mile radius around Washington National Airport encompasses not only the most heavily populated areas of the DC metro area, but extends well into rural areas in southern Maryland; rich, spacious suburbs in Northern Virginia and Maryland; into parts of the Chesapeake Bay; and nearly all the way up to Baltimore. As a native of the area, some of the areas encompassed by the no-fly zone are hardly what anyone would consider the "metro area.”

"AMA seems to think that this whole situation will be resolved by mid-January, but we all know how slow things roll at the feds,” Vo said.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-faa-shut-down-every-drone-club-within-30-miles-of-washington-dc

--

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:14:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the f list FAA

FFAA
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Who didn't see shit like this coming?
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Welcome to the f list FAA

FFAA
View Quote

Anyone with a pilot's license or work in the industry has thought that for years.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just overdoing it like they did with the whole DC flight restrictions.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Oh boo fucking hoo... we must protect the special snowflake politicians so that they never have to experience any part of real life.

Editted out comment because it may offend politicians and you know that can't happen.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I love how the AMA tried to get in bed with the FAA.

All they got was bent over the table and fucked in the ass.

FFAA and FAMA
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#8]
FPNI.

FFAA!

And I don't even own a drone or any other RC aircraft.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will probably have to file a flight plan and follow ADIZ proceedures to continue flying drones.  No biggie until you find out the drone rules and ADIZ rules are incompatible.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Oh boo fucking hoo... we must protect the special snowflake politicians so that they never have to experience any part of real life.

If North Korea nuked D.C. while every professional politican was in office, we would need to send them a 'Thank You' card.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Meanwhile heli and model aircraft are allowed to fly. AmIRight?
View Quote

Nope. I was looking into getting an electric park flyer as a hobby about a year ago and discovered that under the current rules, any outdoor RC aircraft flight is prohibited within 15 (now 30) miles of Washington DC. At the time, I didn't have a car down in VA so there was no way for me to reasonably get outside of the prohibited radius so I dropped the idea.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:24:51 PM EDT
[#12]
In a way this is good, it shows they are aware that there are people in the general population that are tired of there hunger for power and money.

I would like a 30 mile drone free zone around me, I am just as important as they, if you don't believe me ask me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

A new guideline issued in September made flying drones or model aircraft anywhere within this radius illegal, according to the FAA.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Washington D.C. is just a large (failed) HOA.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup. And unfortunately, its tentacles keep extending outward into NOVA and beyond. The only thing that makes living in Arlington better than DC (in my opinion) is the fact that I can carry where I live.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Typical .gov

Can't control it so we will just ban it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:36:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was thinking it (DC) was more like executive operated section 8 housing unit.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Mean while the people doing the banning are also the ones wanting to import people who would be likely to try to kill someone with a drone in the

first place.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Is it a demand or a request?
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

FFAA and FAMA
View Quote
The AMA is a prime example of what would have happened if the NRA became best buds with ATF.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Ray Stinchcomb mentioned works for the FAA. Article says he repped AMA, I doubt it. Unless things have changed,he's been the FAA guy overseeing Warbird type ratings.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Mean while the people doing the banning are also the ones wanting to import people who would be likely to try to kill someone with a drone in the

first place.
View Quote

Indeed they are.

Crazy shit isn't it?
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:57:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The AMA is a prime example of what would have happened if the NRA became best buds with ATF.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FFAA and FAMA

For a couple of decades the model aircraft hobby was ignored by the FAA and left to self-regulate. It is the explosion of quadcopters that don't have a steep learning curve that broke that paradigm.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#24]
lol. multiple drones using the same frequencies in a given area.  Prove it in court... though, I don't want to prove it in court
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

For a couple of decades the model aircraft hobby was ignored by the FAA and left to self-regulate. It is the explosion of quadcopters that don't have a steep learning curve that broke that paradigm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FFAA and FAMA

Don't forget the Estes scare around 2003. They were looking to kill model rocketry. Did that ever happen?
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#27]
These clubs should go to the NRA and see if they can develop land into gun clubs
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nothing more than a request if the article is correct.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#29]
http://www.dc-rc.org

these guys used to fly in my old neighborhood

25 miles away from the whitehouse in Germantown MD

A NOTAM for pilots until further notice...

From the AMA...  

THIS IS A NO FLY ZONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

THE FAA HAS REQUESTED THAT ALL FLYING OPERATIONS BE DISCONTINUED.

The AMA is trying to obtain permission to continue normal operations but Wednesday December 23rd the FAA asked that we stop ALL flying for now.

Walt Good Field is a no fly zone for the duration.

We are within the temporary SFRA area.

Please do not attempt to fly until notified.

You may read the AMA details by downloading this PDF file:   AMALetter to Clubs

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Requests don't have threats of arrest and civil fines associated with them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#31]
So that'll stop some nut from flying his "drone" around the White House..........?
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Genius. Shut down the organised and regulated clubs, now only outlaws fly drones.

"Do not contact the FAA individually"

Ok

866-835-5322
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#33]
"We're from the government, and we'll help you fly safely."

Pricks.

As of midnight last night, I am no longer AMA Member #998XXX.

Fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Step 1: Import terrorists

Step 2: Restrict Freedom for "safety"

Step 3. Enjoy the New Amerika.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

TL/DR???  
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is more akin to shutting down High-Powered MOdel Rocketry after 9-11
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

FFAA and FAMA
View Quote

Same thing happened to Tripoli with BATFE
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:35:23 PM EDT
[#38]
FFAA
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Don't forget the Estes scare around 2003. They were looking to kill model rocketry. Did that ever happen?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FFAA and FAMA

They never went after Hobby Rocketry...it was the High-Power community that got fucked. the Over-the counter class motors that didnt require any cert (Up to G IIRC) were fine and readily available it was the big stuff  and Re-useable casing motors that were affected, it pushed a lot of people out of the hobby altogether because of the BATF Requirements
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#40]
30 freaking miles!!!  On a clear line of site I can barely get my drone to go over 2 miles.  That is freaking ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#41]
If you like your drone you can keep your drone.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
These clubs should go to the NRA and see if they can develop land into gun clubs
View Quote

It'd be pretty amusing if the FAA went by to check that nobody was flying drones anymore and instead found a large group practicing their rifle marksmanship.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

FFAA and FAMA
View Quote
This is a perfect example for any special interest group in the future

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
It'd be pretty amusing if the FAA went by to check that nobody was flying drones anymore and instead found a large group practicing their rifle marksmanship.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

With FAA uniform/logo Target Silhouettes

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#45]
I guess the FAA is putting in a req order for stingers and shotguns now.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't understand the hate for the AMA.  They followed the law and attempted to work with the FAA.  Most of the people in the r/c community completely misunderstood the FAA, everyone thought the FAA was looking for common sense regulations.  Most of the people in the gun community understand what "common sense" means.  

On the upside, there are now a million + new people that have a new understanding of "common sense laws".
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#47]
What about Pigeons?
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#48]
What defines a "drone"? Just being able to fly and having a camera on board streaming back to the controller?

BTW I don't see how they can enforce these "rules/laws" worth a damn. Regulatory law is getting more and more annoying to citizens since it's all because the "powers that be" just don't want you to do something.. I think more and more people are beginning to get the "fuck you" attitude.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:59:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Who can enforce the new rules?  Can the average police officer do that or does someone from the FAA need to be there to enforce it?

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#50]
And people wonder why we don't have flying cars yet.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top