BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What defines a "drone"? Just being able to fly and having a camera on board streaming back to the controller?

View Quote

It is every model aircraft (flying object) that ways 0.55lbs to 55lbs.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Our nation's leaders should not live in an impenetrable bubble, while simultaneously working against everyday American's right to self-defense.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

What defines a "drone"? Just being able to fly and having a camera on board streaming back to the controller?
BTW I don't see how they can enforce these "rules/laws" worth a damn. Regulatory law is getting more and more annoying to citizens since it's all because the "powers that be" just don't want you to do something.. I think more and more people are beginning to get the "fuck you" attitude.
View Quote
remote controlled flying craft, weighs over .55 lbs.  (in fact, I think airplanes on a string that fly around you in circles also fall under this new rule)

that's right.... 1/2 a pound foam airplanes like this are now regulated.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#4]
This seems like a great thread to ask this question. It came to me after the one quadcopter crashed on the White House lawn.

This is a hypothetical situation that I'm not suggesting anyone do. What would the response be to this scenario. It's night at the White House where someone routine event is going on when 6 drones with laser pointers strapped to them lifted off, flew towards the White House and flew over the fence? These are cheap quads with cheap FPV systems. The laser pointers would have to be assumed as a threat. Would a Phalanx pop up and try to take them out? Can a Phalanx even see a 1/2 point piece of plastic? Jamming the 2.4Ghz radio signal would probably cause them all to land on their own although a homemade quad to built that would just hold altitude and hover until the battery died. EMP blast?

Just like with firearms there are a lot of "what ifs" that could be considered. Obviously the government does not trust the people of the this country or they wouldn't make blanket rules based on fear of what if scenarios. Otherwise I bet there would be a 30 mile gun free zone around DC as well.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:05:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

BTW I don't see how they can enforce these "rules/laws" worth a damn. Regulatory law is getting more and more annoying to citizens since it's all because the "powers that be" just don't want you to do something.. I think more and more people are beginning to get the "fuck you" attitude.
View Quote

Anything that flies over .55 lbs and under 55, with control input from a pilot.  Basically anything radio control.  Even a kite could be considered one, it doesn't matter if it is tethered or not.

It's like the ATF saying anything that makes a loud noise is a gun.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/faqs/

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#6]
The shittiest part of this is that there are kids who live in the suburbs outside of DC, who got a toy drone for Christmas, and like two days after Christmas the government decides it's illegal to fly the thing in their back yard.  Talk about a total fuck you.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#7]
A small piece of me is happy.

The more people the government fucks over, the closer we are to some change.

Model aircraft owners are not the most firearm friendly at times, and this has the, feeling just like firearm owners have felt for a very long time. They feel the sting of the government tsking your love away with the stroke of a pen.

And for the record, I have been flying RC for the last 25 years, so I a, very pro RC.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:17:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The shittiest part of this is that there are kids who live in the suburbs outside of DC, who got a toy drone for Christmas, and like two days after Christmas the government decides it's illegal to fly the thing in their back yard.  Talk about a total fuck you.
View Quote

Sucks to say, but I think it's great tens of thousands of people just got a primer on what more government looks like.   I hope some poor kid from the inner projects gets nailed with a hefty fine and it gets spread all over the news.  

The unwashed masses need a bath.  

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:20:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:20:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is it a demand or a request?
View Quote

Sounds like a request that will be enforced by law enforcement.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Meanwhile heli and model aircraft are allowed to fly. AmIRight?
View Quote

You would be wrong.   Any RC model aircraft over .55 lbs qualifies under the FAA edict as a "drone".  The FAA edict is in direct conflict with legislation passed by congress in 2012.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Who cares? This is what happens when anyone can do something. All the idiots end up screw it up for the large majority. It's part of aviation, stop bitching about it and get used to it.
View Quote
Statists gonna state

Why don't you run back to DU?
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Anything that flies over .55 lbs and under 55, with control input from a pilot.  Basically anything radio control.  Even a kite could be considered one, it doesn't matter if it is tethered or not.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unacceptable. I will agree with the guy that said a little part of him is happy. Regulatory law has gotten way the fuck out of hand.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, until January 15th you are still free to tell the FAA how you feel.  I suggest everyone do so.  

http://1.usa.gov/1Jegj0C
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

"We're from the government, and we'll help you fly safely."

Pricks.

As of midnight last night, I am no longer AMA Member #998XXX.

Fuck 'em.
View Quote
Good for you.. I dropped out of that fake member association back in the early 90's. It's just another good ol boys club...and now an arm of the feds...
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Good for you.. I dropped out of that fake member association back in the early 90's. It's just another good ol boys club...and now an arm of the feds...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"We're from the government, and we'll help you fly safely."

Pricks.

As of midnight last night, I am no longer AMA Member #998XXX.

Fuck 'em.

And the government/FAA is going to help you fly anywhere, either?
And good luck with obamacare when your prop slices your arm, or someone elses'.  Say hello to povertyville, paying for medical bills plus other damages out of your own pocket.

Soon this 30 mille exclusion spzone will be 300 miles, then 3000.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't understand the hate for the AMA.  They followed the law and attempted to work with the FAA.  Most of the people in the r/c community completely misunderstood the FAA, everyone thought the FAA was looking for common sense regulations.  Most of the people in the gun community understand what "common sense" means.  

On the upside, there are now a million + new people that have a new understanding of "common sense laws".
View Quote

I follow a few drone/legal pages on Facebook and as I read I keep thinking that these guys are like us but without an NRA or 2A rights.
I have been waiting for the hammer to fall on them as they continually appease .gov and rat each other out to the FAA for shooting commercial video and posting it without a form 333. It was like watching the ATF sig brace letter campaign all over again.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:49:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Unacceptable. I will agree with the guy that said a little part of him is happy. Regulatory law has gotten way the fuck out of hand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My buddy sells vaping supplies as a side business. The FDA is after this industry and last night I saw some woman on FB posting in tears about an upcoming cease and desist order from the FDA for selling home made craft soap. Both have small business licenses and pay taxes on their earnings.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:56:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Million drone flight over D.C.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:01:54 PM EDT
[#22]
If you like your drone, you can keep your drone.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Call it a recon drone for you militia and get it covered under 2a? Anyone? Anyone?
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This seems like a great thread to ask this question. It came to me after the one quadcopter crashed on the White House lawn.

This is a hypothetical situation that I'm not suggesting anyone do. What would the response be to this scenario. It's night at the White House where someone routine event is going on when 6 drones with laser pointers strapped to them lifted off, flew towards the White House and flew over the fence? These are cheap quads with cheap FPV systems. The laser pointers would have to be assumed as a threat. Would a Phalanx pop up and try to take them out? Can a Phalanx even see a 1/2 point piece of plastic? Jamming the 2.4Ghz radio signal would probably cause them all to land on their own although a homemade quad to built that would just hold altitude and hover until the battery died. EMP blast?
View Quote

no.

backdrop.

the office and apartment buildings located behind and beyond the drone get shredded and 25 people die.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Government... Lol

This is one of those times I love living where I do
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:08:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I follow a few drone/legal pages on Facebook and as I read I keep thinking that these guys are like us but without an NRA or 2A rights.

I have been waiting for the hammer to fall on them as they continually appease .gov and rat each other out to the FAA for shooting commercial video and posting it without a form 333. It was like watching the ATF sig brace letter campaign all over again.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't understand the hate for the AMA.  They followed the law and attempted to work with the FAA.  Most of the people in the r/c community completely misunderstood the FAA, everyone thought the FAA was looking for common sense regulations.  Most of the people in the gun community understand what "common sense" means.  

On the upside, there are now a million + new people that have a new understanding of "common sense laws".

It has been interesting to watch.  I have flown R/C for about 30 years and just now getting into the FPV part of things.  They are two separate groups.  There is a lot of crossover of course, but there are a lot of FPV guys that have no ties to model aviation or the AMA.  It is a bit like the fudds and the EBR guys.  The shakeout is going to be interesting.  

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:14:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Who cares? This is what happens when anyone can do something. All the idiots end up screw it up for the large majority. It's part of aviation, stop bitching about it and get used to it.
View Quote

I don't like you.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Who can enforce the new rules?  Can the average police officer do that or does someone from the FAA need to be there to enforce it?

View Quote

They're sending flyers to local PD's all across this great land of ours.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Who can enforce the new rules?  Can the average police officer do that or does someone from the FAA need to be there to enforce it?

I'm sure every cop can't wait to be the first to arrest little Johnny for flying his unregistered drone.  

#DronePilotsMatter

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm sure every cop can't wait to be the first to arrest little Johnny for flying his unregistered drone.  

#DronePilotsMatter

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

#DronePilotsMatter

I can see them lining up to enforce federal regulations on matters that they have had no more training on than a smart card.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#31]
You mean the SIG on the wing of my Flitestreak...

Was referring to a 226 ?
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I love how the AMA tried to get in bed with the FAA.

All they got was bent over the table and fucked in the ass.

FFAA and FAMA
View Quote

All organizations that choose to suck govt. dick should take note.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I can imagine how that went down:

"Hi, we're from the FAA, we're here to help! By the way your club is shut down."

There is a saying that the FAA is not happy until you're not happy.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the felating mindset that got us "compromise" on guns.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So a 60 lb. big-ass model would be GTG?

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:53:00 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Different rules, but yes.

And ironically, as I read it, if I program a "drone" to fly a completely automated flight because it doesn't require any interaction with a "pilot".

This is an AWB level of stupid from the FAA.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#37]
It only takes a couple assholes to screw a good thing up for everyone else.

There were murmurings years ago, when auto stabilizing electronics were first making their inroads to our hobby. Giving know-nothings the power to control miniature planes that flew 100+ mph with capabilities to pierce right through a car body, that required no skill thought nor training and very little money, if ran by a misguided brain, was probably going to be a bad idea.  

Turns out it was.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#38]
If you didn't know why the capitol looks like this

It's because someone flew their RC flying saucer into it

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#39]
If I've learned anything in GD its that if something bad is happening people in GD will tell you to "just move".

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Sucks to say, but I think it's great tens of thousands of people just got a primer on what more government looks like.   I hope some poor kid from the inner projects gets nailed with a hefty fine and it gets spread all over the news.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If history is any example,"we" will roll over and take it like we have everything else.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It only takes a couple assholes to screw a good thing up for everyone else.

There were murmurings years ago, when auto stabilizing electronics were first making their inroads to our hobby. Giving know-nothings the power to control miniature planes that flew 100+ mph with capabilities to pierce right through a car body, that required no skill thought nor training and very little money, if ran by a misguided brain, was probably going to be a bad idea.  

Turns out it was.
View Quote

[handwringing]OMG stop the technology because it might outpace personal responsibility.[/handwringing]

Maybe it was a bad idea to add sights to rifles because one or two assholes might screw up a good thing for everyone else.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My buddy sells vaping supplies as a side business. The FDA is after this industry and last night I saw some woman on FB posting in tears about an upcoming cease and desist order from the FDA for selling home made craft soap. Both have small business licenses and pay taxes on their earnings.
View Quote

"Anything not under government control is,by definition,out of control"

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If I've learned anything in GD its that if something bad is happening people in GD will tell you to "just move".
View Quote

So true.

Its always the assholes that live 2 miles from their birthplace that say it the loudest, like they somehow chose where to be born.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#44]
by mid January it will be a seen as a success and pushed to ALL airports in the nation....this will shut down drone use in the US.

This link shows 485 just in the state of Missouri.  So, you place that 30 mile buffer zone and there is no place to fly in this state.

http://www.airport-data.com/usa-airports/state/Missouri.html
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

So true.

Its always the assholes that live 2 miles from their birthplace that say it the loudest, like they somehow chose where to be born.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So true.

You should move.

Born and raised upstate and left 14 years ago.Wasn't the easiest thing to do,but staying on a sinking ship isn't the answer.

NY is lost (has been for a long time).Your vote is completely wasted there and should be taken to another state where it could be of help.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#46]
I really do wish people would stop calling them "drones".

That is as annoying (and incorrect) as calling AR-15s "assault weapons".
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:21:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Call it a recon drone for you militia and get it covered under 2a? Anyone? Anyone?
View Quote

Sure just like your machine guns and RPG, unregulated.
Gubermens respects constitutionz.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

No, but it sure has hell makes it easier to find and track when NO ONE is supposed to be flying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So that'll stop some nut from flying his "drone" around the White House..........?

No, but it sure has hell makes it easier to find and track when NO ONE is supposed to be flying.

Uh no....

How is it going to make it easier to track when the "drone" can literally be launched/flown from absolutely anywhere?  Some nut isn't going worry about going to his local R/C field to launch his drone, helicopter or plane.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Drones are banned but terrorist operators get green cards....ok a little off
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

For a couple of decades the model aircraft hobby was ignored by the FAA and left to self-regulate. It is the explosion of quadcopters that don't have a steep learning curve that broke that paradigm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love how the AMA tried to get in bed with the FAA.

All they got was bent over the table and fucked in the ass.

FFAA and FAMA
The AMA is a prime example of what would have happened if the NRA became best buds with ATF.  

For a couple of decades the model aircraft hobby was ignored by the FAA and left to self-regulate. It is the explosion of quadcopters that don't have a steep learning curve that broke that paradigm.

The thIng is, Congress,passed a law a year ago in advance of this ruling that remove the FAA 's ability to regulate model aircraft flight. AMA has been playing nice, but there will be a day in court.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top