Posted: 10/26/2013 12:33:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:51:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet! Learn something new every day.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I think naming helicopters after Indian tribes is racist.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#4]
OV-10 with rotors?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My favorite of the ones that never were.
View Quote

+1 - Bad ass!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Impressive amount of firepower.  I wonder how it's range/payload compare with the Apache?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#8]
If I recall correctly, they canceled it in part because some of the new Soviet AA and SAM systems coming online would of made sausage out of it.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Simultaneous target engagement makes me moist.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:06:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I got to tour the Army hangers out at Edwards when it was there.  The turret was sci-fi like back then.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#13]
The 56 was badass. The S-67 is still my favorite gunship that never was.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think naming helicopters after Indian tribes is racist.
View Quote

I'd be embarrassed to even be shot by it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#15]
The AH-56 Cheyenne was 54 ft 8 in in length. In comparison the AH-64 Apache is 58.17 ft (17.73 m) (with both rotors turning). So I don't see the Chyenne as being over sized.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Wish I could scan and imbed, I have a full sleeve of slides of this this taken during testing in Yuma and the rotor testing in Rye canyon at the rotor test facility in southern CA.

My father was the test director of this bird. 9 built 8 remained after testing. The one lost was bad....did not end well for anyone with a rotor mast failure.

Could hover in a 30 degree nose down attitude and reverse the pusher to allow backing with nose down on target orientation. One test was popping up over a hill, putting weapons and aiming computer on target and then backing back over hill for cover. Popping up and engaging targets plotted. Very effective for it's time. Computer simulation against a fully armed destroyer had the destroyer sunk.

The army evaluation pilots used in Yuma were affectionately refereed to as APES  (Army evaluation pilots) and I had the honor to meet one of their sons when I took my son to the Williams AFB closing. He was a Apache driver.....small world.

One of my fathers team, later went to McDonald Douglas and work on the Apache program.

I have some fond memories of Yuma and great pictures of the testing and in flight pics from the King Air chase plane used during in flight tests. The only bad memory was the look on Dad's face when he came home late (2AM) the day the one bird went down. White sheet recovery and crash investigation....Damn!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My favorite of the ones that never were. Gunner cockpit was a tad too over the top tho.
View Quote

I agree. If it's going to have a turret, the turret should have a 105mm gun, if not more. IMO, this failure is why they didn't adopt it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Ya, I think so too. The official line on the "crash", as always, is not quite "accurate"......."which part?" LOL

Several items that were in their infancy on this bird. Rigid rotor system (rotor wing guys will get this) and the requirement from the Army for possible ejection ability. They looked into blowing the mast/plate or rotors to clear, but eventually came up with a downward ejection. The bottom of the seats had a large hardened ram point that would pierce a special panel. This had an altitude safety as you could imagine. No live testing was ever done.....LOL.

It was during this time I also had the pleasure to meet Ben Rich and some of the other gurus of the time.

Hey dad, I miss ya a lot!!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Imagine the cost difference between it and a Cobra...

Had a model of it when I was a kid.
Got pictures of the one at Ft. Rucker museum.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:50:32 PM EDT
[#24]
They landed a Cheyenne next to the PX at Ft. Rucker just shortly before I graduated from Flight School.  I was excited to see it, especially since I already knew I was headed off to Cobra School at Hunter AAF.  At that time, the Army was well on the way to bringing the Cheyenne into the inventory and I couldn't wait to get my hands on one.  It was a sad day when they announced the program had been cancelled.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#25]
My professor told me the air force scrapped it because it "Was able to shoot down and defeat most of their fighters" and that they saw it as a threat. Which is why they scrapped it.

Sounded like a bunch of BS to me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#26]
A-10 was procured specifically to kill the AH-56.
If not for the AH-56 there never would have been an A-10.

How is that for a badass airplane.  It destroyed aircraft before it ever took flight.
impressive.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My professor told me the air force scrapped it because it "Was able to shoot down and defeat most of their fighters" and that they saw it as a threat. Which is why they scrapped it.

View Quote

Wasn't the AF's decision.
It was the SECDEFs.

The only thing the AF hates more than providing CAS to the Army is the Army providing CAS to the Army.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:01:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I wonder what the AF will have to say when the V-280 and SB-1 have their fly-off.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#29]
What is the purpose of the smaller rotor on top of the main one? Does that help with the tail rotor's job of counter rotation or is it something totally different?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It was the SECDEFs.

The only thing the AF hates more than providing CAS to the Army is the Army providing CAS to the Army.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was the SECDEFs.

They don't care who provides it for them, as long as they keep getting the money
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What is the purpose of the smaller rotor on top of the main one? Does that help with the tail rotor's job of counter rotation or is it something totally different?
View Quote

Just for fun, man... just for fun.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#32]

Silly question -

Do the weapon stubs (or whatever they're called) provide for any lift or are they designed to be aerodynamically neutral?

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#33]
The comanche would have been a bit better.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:13:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The comanche would have been a bit better.

View Quote

There were only a few decades between the two, and I don't think they really had the same mission anyway.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They don't care who provides it for them, as long as they keep getting the money
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was the SECDEFs.

I'll get around to bitching about the army later.
Gray Eagle opens up some possibilities.
we'll see.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Silly question -

Do the weapon stubs (or whatever they're called) provide for any lift or are they designed to be aerodynamically neutral?

View Quote

one of the arguments against it was that they did provide lift and therefore violated the laws of physics.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csGWV541yjw

It seems the Key West Agreement did it in more than anything else.

It looks like an Attack Helo if Silvan designed it.
View Quote

That looks a lot like a gyro-copter
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

we'll see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was the SECDEFs.

we'll see.

The Gray Eagle is a good platform, you watch your mouth.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:21:51 PM EDT
[#41]
"First shot from the 30mm cannon, consistently hit inside a 10" circle at 2 miles"....NICE.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I remember reading about it. One of the prime reasons it was killed off wasn't Key West, it was it's performance envelope and attack profile put it square in the MANPAD sweet spot.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Tag.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I remember reading about it. One of the prime reasons it was killed off wasn't Key West, it was it's performance envelope and attack profile put it square in the MANPAD sweet spot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Aren't Apaches using a similar attack profile in places like Afghanistan today? It is my understanding that the hovering-behind-shit attack profile the Apache was designed for has been abandoned. Can anyone enlighten me?

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AF argued, correctly, the A-X (which became the A-10) would be more survivable.
Which was correct.
Ironically we still bought the AH-64.

we kill things, then reagan resurrected zombie weapon systems.

B-1 program dated from 1963.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Aren't Apaches using a similar attack profile in places like Afghanistan today? It is my understanding that the hovering-behind-shit attack profile the Apache was designed for has been abandoned. Can anyone enlighten me?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

these were designed to fight central europe, not 3rd world insurgents.
check out syria videos.  Helos are getting their ass handed to them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But are they getting their ass handed to them due to non-existent training, a lack of combined-arms practice, and shitty quality of the equipment being used...or because it's just that dangerous of a speed/altitude space to occupy on the modern battlefield?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hovering behind shit only works during peace time while you practicing with unarmed helicopters.  Try hovering a loaded gunship full of fuel and armaments at 10,000 ft. like in Afghanistan.  When we came back from Vietnam and they introduced the hovering behind trees & hills to make long range guided rocket kills against armor concept, we said say what?  I laughed when I heard that the Apaches quickly abandoned their hovering fire in favor of diving running fire much like we employed in Vietnam.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I wonder what the AF will have to say when the V-280 and SB-1 have their fly-off.

View Quote

What's the J in JMR stand for?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top