Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/28/2014 2:23:32 PM EDT
Well...6 months after applying...I have been approved for a NYC handgun license...valid ONLY for possession in the home, and for target shooting. Not for carry.

I primarily live in upstate NY, where I have a lifetime CCW permit, and where I keep most of my guns...but I have an apartment in Manhattan that I use for work quite often...so I figured I would get permits to possess some guns there.

What did it take to apply for a NYC handgun possession / target permit?

First, fill out the application, get passport photos taken, and get all kinds of notarized forms together. Notarized leases, notarized utility bills, notarized disposition reports from ANY run in the law you have EVER had (even speeding tickets), notarized letters stating you know NYS laws regarding use of deadly force and handgun laws, a notarized letter stating that you give up ALL privacy rights to your medical records...even notarized letters from anyone you may live with saying they are OK with you owning a handgun in the home...

Oh and a $340 fee to apply, plus $99 for fingerprinting. Non-refundable...even if you are denied. Oh and you have to renew your permit, and resubmit $340 every 3 years. Where does that money go you ask? Since they don't do any more extensive background checks for renewals? It goes RIGHT into the NYPD pension fund...NONE goes to fund the actual handgun license renewals.

What could you be denied for? ANYTHING. Too many speeding tickets? Denied. Not currently employed? Denied. Have a disability like epilepsy, a missing finger, or take any anxiety medications? DENIED. Have tax problems? Denied. Child support problems? Denied. Don't show proper respect to the NYPD gun license clerks? Denied.

Seriously. It is all typed up in their official rules.

So anyway, once you get all the applications and forms together, you have to take a half day or full day off work to submit the application, and get fingerprinted.

Then you wait. About 1-2 months for a letter, asking you to bring in MORE paperwork, and schedule a personal interview with the investigator. Now I have to get notarized pay stubs from my work, or letters of employment...W2s and tax returns from the past few years, AND 3 character reference letters, from 3 people that have known you for 5 years or more, and that live in NYC. Non family members. How many non-family people do you keep in touch with closely for over 5 years?? Not easy to find. The character reference letters must say that they approve of you owning a handgun, and that you aren't crazy.

What happens if all the people you know are anti gun? Or if you don't have any close friends? DENIED.

So after getting all these additional forms together from friends and work and your accountant...you have to go in for your interview.

So you take yet another day off from work, go to 1 Police Plaza, and get interviewed by some low IQ liberal that doesn't speak proper English...and is only 1 step from being a full blown ghetto rat. Not kidding.

Then you wait...and wait...and wait...about 5 months. Then one fine day, you get a letter saying you are approved.

But wait - there is a catch...if you don't return to 1 Police Plaza within 30 days to physically pick up your handgun license, your license approval is cancelled and you have to start over from scratch. And pay again.

So what if you are out of town or on a long work trip for 4 weeks? Denied. Start over. Sorry.

So you have to take yet ANOTHER day off work to go to the NYPD, pick up your license, and get a "purchase authorization card" allowing you to buy a handgun. And again, YOU MUST BUY A HANDGUN WITHIN 30 DAYS of picking up your license...if you don't, your license is cancelled, and you start from scratch.

So you have your little plastic card license...and you have to buy a handgun within 30 days. What if you can't currently afford a handgun at that time? Sorry. Buy one NOW or your license is revoked forever. What if you want to spend more than 30 days researching the best gun for you (since you were never able to even TOUCH a handgun in NY until you have a permit in your hands)...Sorry, buy a handgun NOW or you are denied.

So you buy a handgun, either from an FFL, a family member with a NYS handgun license, an LEO, or another NYS resident with a handgun license (but you must now get a background check for private sales, unless it is immediate family).

So you bought a gun and you take it home...FINALLY right?

NOT SO FAST...NOW, within 72 hours of purchase, you have to take YET ANOTHER day off work, return to 1 Police Plaza, and present the gun for "inspection."

Here, they make sure it is legal in NY and NYC, and that you have only mags that are 10 rounds or less. They record the serial numbers, and print out a new plastic card with the handgun listed on the back.

Now you legally own the handgun. Finally. But don't take it out of your home, unless you are going DIRECTLY to and from a shooting range or DEC hunting area. Hell, the NYPD even had to give a special "amnesty" to NYC handgun owners when Hurricane Sandy hit, and some people had to evacuate...just so these people could "temporarily" relocate their handguns to a safe place.
The long gun permit you ask? So I can possess rifles or shotguns? Pretty much the same process, except they don't make you bring the gun in for inspection. What guns can you own in NYC? Well if it is semi auto, it can't have ANY evil features. No pistol grip, bayo lug, tele stock...nothing. Oh and NO long guns can have a capacity of more than 5 rounds. No long gun mags can be over 5 rounds. Pretty much eliminating ALL long guns suitable for self defense, no??

Oh and you can only buy / register ONE gun every 90 days.

So...I guess my question is...

NRA / SAF / NYSRPA / SCOPE...where are you? Fighting the unSAFE act I suppose...

But honestly, everyone in the US needs to focus on getting the courts to toss NYC gun laws...they are BY FAR the worst in the entire nation...and until these are tossed...laws like this can and WILL spread to "free" states.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Say what, you need a license to have a handgun in your home
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
No, you have to pay the government to not be arrested if they find it.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#3]
They don't want us owning guns in NY.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes...that is actually for ALL of New York State...not just NYC.

NYC just makes it extra special...
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Congrats... I think.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I've only been to NYC once, but you have to have this permit just to have one in your house in a safe?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

But honestly, everyone in the US needs to focus on getting the courts to toss NYC gun laws...they are BY FAR the worst in the entire nation...and until these are tossed...laws like this can and WILL spread to "free" states.
View Quote

Will never happen, NYC residents won't allow it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#8]
What is this "handgun license" you speak of?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#9]
You should also add in once you get it how easily they can suspend or revoke it for trivial shit.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#10]
My license was the debit card I used to buy my last gun, but congrats none the less.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#11]
You have to buy a new gun ? You can't transfer one you already own upstate into the city to be inspected ?

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Communists gonna communist

Now pick up the can, com . .er, citizen
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#13]
At least they didn't infringe on your rights.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've only been to NYC once, but you have to have this permit just to have one in your house in a safe?
View Quote

Yes. You can't even TOUCH let along possess a handgun in NY State without a license...which takes 6-13 months to get for most people.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#15]
unSAFE act makes you register your pistol lic every 5 years bro no more none expiring CCW.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You have to buy a new gun ? You can't transfer one you already own upstate into the city to be inspected ?

View Quote

That is an option, yes.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#17]
May ten thousand fucks be upon NY politicians.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Very good, subject.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Whoa!
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I will say this. It isn't worth the bother.

If I were you, I'd be willing to put up with that bullshit to carry but to possess inside my home only ? No thanks. The additional $340 fee every three years kills that.

Options left would be either leave them all upstate, or bring one in without approval.

I know which I'd do, but for the sake of the COC I will leave it at that.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, I know family jobs and all that but no way I would live there.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
May ten thousand fucks be upon NY politicians.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Come out from behind the iron curtain
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:31:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
unSAFE act makes you register your pistol lic every 5 years bro no more none expiring CCW.
View Quote

I know...but at least it's not a full-on start from scratch renewal...It sounds like we just respond to the NYSP letter saying we aren't dead, and telling where we live. For now at least...
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I primarily live in upstate NY, where I have a lifetime CCW permit, and where I keep most of my guns...but I have an apartment in Manhattan that I use for work quite often...so I figured I would get permits to possess some guns there.
View Quote

Will they let you list the same handguns on both your upstate and NYC permits?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Come out from behind the iron curtain
View Quote

Eventually I will.

Fuck NYC liberals.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#27]
If it makes you feel any better, your lifetime CHL from upstate now expires every five years.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#28]
What's keeping you there? Family? Job?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I would either move or just not bother.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:34:56 PM EDT
[#30]
So much derp in that state, I feel sorry for the people (not sheep) that live there, you guys are getting so fucked, I'm surprised they don't pass out depends at every election.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I would either move or just not bother.
View Quote

I would have to be making a boat load of money to stay in that state.

Edit: then get out after I did
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:37:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Sorry, I would not do all that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:37:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If it makes you feel any better, your lifetime CHL from upstate now expires every five years.
View Quote

Well kind of...it doesn't necessarily expire...you just have to send in the renewal letter every 5 years, or else it is revoked.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:38:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What's keeping you there? Family? Job?
View Quote

Both. I have a family business upstate, and business in NYC.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#36]
So you picked up the can...

What you tolerate, you deserve. What other infringements would you endorse via participation?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Just how in the blue fuck is that legal?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Wow
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:40:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Nice job.  Nice write-up.  Way to go.  I love it.  You navigated their waters with deft speed and accuracy.

Curiosity - what if you're unemployed because you're independently wealthy?  Go/NoGo?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#40]
I thought NJ was bad. And I didn't go through 1/8 of that nonsense.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:41:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Why even bother with that shithole?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for the write up. That is a sickening tale of government taking a dump on your rights.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:42:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Nice job.  Nice write-up.  Way to go.  I love it.  You navigated their waters with deft speed and accuracy.

Curiosity - what if you're unemployed because you're independently wealthy?  Go/NoGo?
View Quote

They would force you to prove that you have "sufficient" money in your accounts to "support yourself."

What is sufficient? Who knows. Up to them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Let them have New York. Let them drown in their own ignorance and tyranny.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Thank God I live in PA. I just wish all the NYC big city thinkers and New York pieces of shit would stop moving to the Pocono's.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yes. You can't even TOUCH let along possess a handgun in NY State without a license...which takes 6-13 months to get for most people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes me hurt in my no no place
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
laws like this can and WILL spread to "free" states.
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#48]
You're doing it wrong.  Just be a liberal politician or donate big bucks to the campaign fund of such, they'll have you in and out in half an hour.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
laws like this can and WILL spread to "free" states.

No.

Colorado?

IF YOU WANT TO HELP STOP LAWS LIKE THIS, DONATE TO THE NYSRPA

https://www.kintera.org/AutoGen/Register/Register.asp?ievent=1033970&en=5oKIKOOjG9LDJLNqE4IALOMyGoKUIYNtF7IFJVPBJhKNK1MIF
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Hold the phone there chief,  are you trying to tell me New York has retarded gun laws?

Congrats on the license,  I hope things get better for you guys.  Hopefully the rest of the country fights for you guys so we don't have to fight here.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top