Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Posted: 11/5/2017 10:38:48 PM EDT
I wrote this up so folks don't have to search through the entire big thread to find out what happened
Multiple updates

Short version of events, a gunman equipped with an AR-15 rifle and wearing body armor drove to a small church and opened fire. An armed citizen with an AR-15 rifle ran to the church and seeing he was wearing body armor shot him in the side between the front and back of the carrier. Upon being shot with the gunman dropped his rifle. The gunmen fled in his vehicle and was hit a second time by the armed citizen. The gunman returned fire with a handgun and was hit a third time. The gunman fled the scene in his SUV and was chased by the armed citizen and another citizen. The gunman went off the road and was found dead in car. The armed citizen stopped the attack and prevented the gunman from killing or injuring any others.

Detailed version of events.

According to initial reports the gunman,Devin Patrick Kelley, drove to the store across from the church and exited his vehicle. He was dressed in all black, with a black face mask with a skull on it and wearing a plate carrier with a hard plate in the front. He was armed with a Ruger 5.56x45mm AR rifle equipped with an inexpensive red dot sight, white light, sling and a vertical grip. He began shooting walking towards the church, moved to the right of the church and continued firing and then entered the church shooting. He fired as he walked to the front of the church, stopped, turned and continued shooting as he walked back out. It is believed his rifle was loaded with Hornady TAP or VMAX ammunition based upon a loaded cartridge left at the scene. 23 people were killed in the church, two outside the church and one died at a hospital. 20 more were wounded. Ages of the victims range from 18 months to 77 years old.

A neighbor, 55 year old Stephen Willeford, heard the gunfire. His daughter went to investigate and returned saying a man dressed in black was shooting people at the church. Stephen Willeford responded by grabbing an AR-15 rifle from his safe and a handful of loose ammunition and a magazine. He ran towards the church, bare foot, loading rounds into the magazine as he went. He took up a shooting position not even knowing how many rounds he had in the magazine, loaded and made ready his rifle. The gunman exited the church and appeared to be reloading. Stephen Willeford saw that the gunman was wearing a body armor plate carrier (he had a plate in the front) and, being presented with a shot at the gunman's side, aimed at the strap between the front and the back of the plate carrier. He fired and hit the gunman, who dropped his rifle, a Ruger AR, after being struck by a 5.56x45mm round. The gunman fled to his vehicle and Willeford shot him a second time. The gunman fired back at Willeford with a handgun through the blown out back window of his SUV. Willeford fired a third shot hitting the gunman attempting to stop him and prevent him from fleeing.

Link to interview with armed citizen's cousin describing how the shooter was stopped

The shooter drove away at a high rate of speed and called his father telling him he'd been shot and he didn't think he was going to live due to the gunshot wound he'd received. In order to prevent the gunman from escaping and causing further harm, Stephen Willeford  flagged down a vehicle. Stephen Willeford quickly informed the driver of the pick-up truck, Johnnie Langendorff, of the situation and entered the vehicle. Johnnie Langendorff set out in pursuit of the fleeing gunman while contacting the police via his cell phone. During the pursuit Johnnie Langendorff closed the distance with the fleeing gunman while reaching speeds of 95 mph. He was able to get within a few feet of the fleeing gunman's vehicle, which then slowed, before the gunman lost control of his vehicle and went off the road at an intersection. It is believed the gunman, believing his was dying from multiple gunshot wounds he had received at the church and that escape was impossible, shot himself with a handgun prior to the vehicle going off the road. Which gunshot wound he actually died from is currently unknown.

Stephen Willeford exited the pick-up and covered the gunman's vehicle with his rifle to prevent the gunman's escape. Johnnie Langendorff stated the gunman made no movements inside his vehicle. Johnnie Langendorff placed his vehicle in park and informed the police of the gunman's location. The police arrived on location approximately 5 to 7 minutes later. The gunman died at the scene, and Johnnie Langendorff stated the gunman made no movements and there were no shots fired for the 5 to 7 minutes before police arrived. Police stated the gunman's vehicle contained a Glock 9mm pistol and a Ruger .22LR pistol and he may have been headed to another location to continue his shooting spree, but was killed instead.

The shooter, Devin Patrick Kelley, was 26 years old, father of two. High School classmates of his are quoted as saying he was an outcast who preached "atheism" and said "anyone who believes in God is stupid". He served in the US Air Force from 2009 to 2013 and was Court-Martialed and discharged in 2014 after assaulting his wife and child and serving 12 months in the brig. Under Federal Law a Domestic Violence conviction would prohibit him from legally owning a firearm. The Air Force has now come and said they failed to forward the information, as required, to the FBI which would have prevented him from passing a NICS check. His mother-in-law sometimes attended the church he attacked, and he was having family problems. While she was not there during the shooting, it is believed be a domestic issue.  

Air Force admits it failed to pass info to FBI about domestic violence conviction

Without a doubt the armed citizen, Stephen Willeford, is a hero who likely saved many more lives by his quick thinking and willingness to step in and take action. His ability to properly employ a long gun against an armed and moving gunman while under great stress saved lives and put an end to the shooting spree. His actions demonstrate how a legally owned firearm can be used to save lives if the person behind the gun has the mettle and ability to properly put it to use.  Johnnie Langendorff is also a hero for putting his life at risk, while unarmed, and pursuing the gunman to ensure he did not escape.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The above information is from LE accounts, statements made by the driver of the pick-up and armed citizen, the gunman's father and the gunman's high school class mates.
It has been updated as more information has come in.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:40:48 PM EDT
[#1]
We still don't know about the Kennedy bros murders, 09-11, the recent Vegas murders....we don't anything about this one yet...for sure.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Here a witness to the shooting who lives across the street describes what happens, watch the video
at this link
http://www.kens5.com/news/local/witness-describes-seeing-church-shooter-flee-church/489320049

Plus here is an
interview with driver of the pick-up who pursued the gunman with the armed citizen who had engaged the gunman

Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the great summary.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:42:50 PM EDT
[#4]
The bad guy with a gun is stopped by a good guy with a gun. I'm ok with that. Thank you, sir.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:43:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Good summary.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:43:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the summary.
You certainly will not learn that story from mainstream media.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:43:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, OP.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The bad guy with a gun is stopped by a good guy with a gun. I'm ok with that. Thank you, sir.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:45:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the summary.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#10]
We really cannot say that it was soft armor and that it was penetrated by the Good Samaritan's round(s). The round may have entered in a area that was not covered by the vest.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:45:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:46:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Excellent. Thank you OP.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:46:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the write up.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for the summary.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Thank you for the summary and link.

God bless those two men, and may that piece of shit burn in hell.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:47:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks OP for the summation. A tragic incident ended by a law abiding gun owner.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Great summary.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:47:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We really cannot say that it was soft armor and that it was penetrated by the Good Samaritan's round(s). The round may have entered in a area that was not covered by the vest.
View Quote
I never said that is what happened.

I wrote, "If he had body armor on it was likely soft body armor penetrated by the armed citizen's rifle."
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thought I read in the main thread that he was shot in the neck and bled out.
Nice summary OP, thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#20]
OP did a very good job.

You won't EVER hear a wrap up like that on fox, let alone from those shitbags on cnn.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank you. 
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#22]
With your permission I would like to repost your summary to my FB page, with a credit if you wish to give it.

It is clear, concise, and to the point.  Well done, sir.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:52:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Thank you, OP. That almost read like a CMH award.

No doubt the man deserves the civilian equivalent.  MOF..?
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
With your permission I would like to repost your summary to my FB page, with a credit if you wish to give it.

It is clear, concise, and to the point.  Well done, sir.
View Quote
Yes

credit it
David M. Fortier
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I wrote, "If he had body armor on it was likely soft body armor penetrated by the armed citizen's rifle."
View Quote
I believe he was shot in the neck causing him to bleed out during the pursuit...and crash...and die. 
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:54:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice summary, thank you.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:54:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Thank you for the summary OP.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:54:59 PM EDT
[#28]
The two heroes that ended this deserve the highest civilian honor we can give them, god bless those who died and who were injured.

I truly wish this stuff would stop, I don't even have the words.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:56:03 PM EDT
[#29]
OP is a schill for the gun lobby.

Good job OP.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks. A much shorter read than the other thread.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:56:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:56:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I believe he was shot in the neck causing him to bleed out during the pursuit...and crash...and die. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have not seen a source for him being shot in the neck, but I agree with you.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:57:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks, OP.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:57:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:58:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Thank you for the summary, I couldn't fallow the news or  read about it without losing it today.  Anytime this happens it is devastating, but in a fellowship of worship and children as victims is too much for me.  I tuned out the news channels.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:59:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks OP. The fact that he started shooting outside of the church will be something to think about for a lot of us going forward. 
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:00:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:02:02 PM EDT
[#38]
... good synopsis, thanks 
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:02:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Thanks OP. The fact that he started shooting outside of the church will be something to think about for a lot of us going forward. 
View Quote
Yes, I agree.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:02:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks OP. Better reporting here than the networks
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Well done.

I'm afraid you'll have to edit to include his family pretty soon.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:04:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Perpetrator's death will be recorded by gun confiscation groups as a homicide victim.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Anybody know what this guy did for a living?
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Thank you for the summary.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks Mr. Fortier
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:07:51 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm sure it will come out in the near future that he (the shooter) was an extreme leftist.

Statistically, it always is.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:08:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks OP
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:08:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks for the summary.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:09:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks OP. I've been working all day, away from radio, T.V., and the Internet. Trying to get up to speed and this has been a big help.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top