User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/19/2004 1:16:20 PM EDT
www.herfersparadise.net/portal/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=60

US tightens ban on Cuban cigars
Thursday, October 7, 2004
WASHINGTON, USA (AFP): US President George W. Bush's administration has tightened a ban on Americans importing Cuban cigars.

"There is now an across-the-board ban on the importation of Cuban-origin cigars," said a notice released this week by the Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control.

Previously, the rules allowed Americans licensed to travel to Cuba to bring back to the United States up to 100 dollars' worth of Cuban goods, including cigars.

That loophole was closed in the latest regulations.

The anti-Cuban cigar rules were already strict.

For example, Americans are barred from buying a Cuban cigar in other countries, even to smoke it outside the United States.

"The question is often asked whether United States citizens or permanent resident aliens of the United States may legally purchase Cuban goods, including tobacco and alcohol products, in a third country for personal use outside the United States," the notice said. "The answer is no."

Breaking the rules can lead to criminal penalties, including fines of up to one million dollars for corporations and 250,000 dollars for individuals and up to 10 years in prison, the department said.

Not only are they telling me what to do in the States...now they are telling me what to do when I'm not even in this country.  They want to restrict the importation into the USA.  Fine, that is their business.  BUT telling me to abide by US law while in other countries....WTF?

So while I was deployed overseas, and I was lucky enough to score and smoke a Cuban cigar....I was breaking the law.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:17:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Duh, there is an embargo on Catro's  communist dictatorship.  

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Do we have a ban on Cuba, or do they have a ban on us?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Not to mention that Cubans are over-rated.  They used to be the shit, now they are just a mediocre smoke.
The best nicaraguans and dominicans beat the shit out of any cubans now.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WASHINGTON, USA (AFP): US President George W. Bush's administration has tightened a ban on Americans importing Cuban cigars.

"There is now an across-the-board ban on the importation of Cuban-origin cigars," said a notice released this week by the Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control.

Previously, the rules allowed Americans licensed to travel to Cuba to bring back to the United States up to 100 dollars' worth of Cuban goods, including cigars.

For example, Americans are barred from buying a Cuban cigar in other countries, even to smoke it outside the United States.

"The question is often asked whether United States citizens or permanent resident aliens of the United States may legally purchase Cuban goods, including tobacco and alcohol products, in a third country for personal use outside the United States," the notice said. "The answer is no."

Breaking the rules can lead to criminal penalties, including fines of up to one million dollars for corporations and 250,000 dollars for individuals and up to 10 years in prison, the department said.

Not only are they telling me what to do in the States...now they are telling me what to do when I'm not even in this country.  They want to restrict the importation into the USA.  Fine, that is their business.  BUT telling me to abide by US law while in other countries....WTF?

So while I was deployed overseas, and I was lucky enough to score and smoke a Cuban cigar....I was breaking the law.  

You're stupid.  

Read the article DIPSHIT!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're stupid.  

I read it fuckwad.  

So, you must support the communist Castro if you want to do business with his muderous regime.  

Are you a communist?  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're stupid.  

I read it fuckwad.  

So, you must support the communist Castro if you want to do business with his muderous regime.  

Are you a communist?  

Go piss up a rope bitch....I'm serving my country.  Go back to grazing my little sheep.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Not to mention that Cubans are over-rated.  They used to be the shit, now they are just a mediocre smoke.

I dunno. I really like a Montecristo #4.

However, that being said, I can't think of a better smoke than an Arturo Fuente Hemingway.

Ok. I agree. They taste as good as a Cuban....but with only half the buzz......  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
As far as banning me from doing anything out of the country, they are full of shit. You fall under the jurisdiction of the local country not USA when on foriegn soil. I'd love to see someone prosectued for smoking one in europe.

mike

Someone gets it.  Thanks Mike.

The article isn't about if you like Cuban cigars or not.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, since you are so smart, then you must understand that, even though you are not necessarily on US soil, you may be subject to prosecution in the States for acts having effects on the US.  

How do you think Manuel Noriega was brought to justice?  He was indicted on Federal drug charges and yet hadn't actually done any of the smuggling himself here in the US.  

Do you think that it was ok for the US to bust him?  

If you aren't a communist, then why would you economically support a communist regime?  

YOU are the sheeple because you don't THINK--you just believe that you can run around doing whatever the fuck you want with no repercussions.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
YOU are the sheeple because you don't THINK--you just believe that you can run around doing whatever the fuck you want with no repercussions.  

That gave me a really good laugh!  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:35:42 PM EDT
[#12]
If I had hair I would pull it out over the hypocrisy of a forty year embargo of Cuba.

How can Cubans in this country support the suffering of their own family members back in Cuba after seeing what freedom did to the Iron Curtain?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That gave me a really good laugh!  Thanks.

Hmm, no constructive rebuttal to my argument though.  

Interesting.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Its called jurisdiction.  Outside of the US, the .gov laws have no effect. Therefore, you can toke on Fidel's cruddy smoke all you want overseas, and the .gov cannot do anything about it, to include not being able to  prosecute you for it when you returned.  So the announcement isn't really worth the paper its written on in that regard.

I wouldn't buy a Cuban cigar anyway.  There are much better ones out there now.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As far as banning me from doing anything out of the country, they are full of shit. You fall under the jurisdiction of the local country not USA when on foriegn soil. I'd love to see someone prosectued for smoking one in europe.

mike

Actually, US jurisdiction over its citizens can and does extend to extraterritorial acts.  Here's a newsflash: Americans living abroad are still required to pay income tax to the IRS or risk prosecution.  How about an American who goes to Iran and turns over nuclear secrets?  Can he be convicted for treason even though the treason is committed on foreign soil?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:42:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok, so we can't smoke a friggin cuban cigar but we can play baseball games with them? WTFIUWT?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I disagree with this policy towards cigars, but it does apply to child molestors and pedophiles when they go overseas and visit child brothels to sleep with children as young as eight years old. I heard about a recent 48 hours or other show having coverage of a doctor that was arrested for just that. Can't really argue that it's a bad thing in that case.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Actually, US jurisdiction over its citizens can and does extend to extraterritorial acts.  Here's a newsflash: Americans living abroad are still required to pay income tax to the IRS or risk prosecution.  How about an American who goes to Iran and turns over nuclear secrets?  Can he be convicted for treason even though the treason is committed on foreign soil?

I was overseas four months this year.  I was not required to pay State nor federal tax.

Nukes vs. a bunch of twisted up leaves.  Apples vs. Oranges.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

mike

Nicely said.   Bears repeating.  

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:45:40 PM EDT
[#20]
When we are the only ones who participate in the ban, and even our own citizens don't respect it, it is not going to work.

Like I said, Cuba pretty much has a ban on us.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Amen. True as the sun coming up every morning....
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was overseas four months this year.  I was not required to pay State nor federal tax.

Are you military? Were you in the Gulf?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So do you also have a problem with businesspeople who go to foreign countries to sleep with young children who are prosecuted under American Pedophile and Statutory Rape laws?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I thought cubans sucked now.  I quit smoking a year and a half ago, but i heard that cuba f'd up its land and all good cuban seeds were taken to dominico and thats where the best come from now.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you military? Were you in the Gulf?

Got back in June.  Came back when I broke my foot.  Sitting here with pins holding it together as I type.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

That"s my understanding too.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So do you also have a problem with businesspeople who go to foreign countries to sleep with young children who are prosecuted under American Pedophile and Statutory Rape laws?

This hasn't been tested in our court system yet.  The best the gov will probably get is conspiracy to commit, asin, they booked the flight in order to go have sex with children.  The actual act will have to be prosecuted in the country in which it occurred.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok...child rape vs. smoking a cigar.  DO YOU SEE A DIFFERENCE?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#29]
yet china, a country with just as bad if not worse human rights record, and a bigger threat militarily has most favored trade status
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#30]
*YAWN*

who gives a shit?

Cuban cigars suck.  You want to give your money to Castro so you can smoke his shitty cigars, be my guest.  

Leaves more of the good stuff for me.  

Wake me up when you guys find an issue I should care about.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Got back in June.  Came back when I broke my foot.  Sitting here with pins holding it together as I type.

Sorry to hear about the foot. But that's why you didn't pay any taxes. The Gulf is a Congress mandated tax-free zone. Pretty sweet of them, eh?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:02:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amen. True as the sun coming up every morning....

Construction....Yes  

Taste......no f'n way
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#33]
OK, It states you cannot buy a cuban and smoke it. The article does not say you are banned from smoking them. So as long as you are not the one who buys it you can still smoke it according to the law.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#34]
While overseas...I smoked these...

On the way back...I stopped in Ireland and drank beer that was over the accepted alcohol level in the states!

I'm a bad person.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In fact, yes.  

In principle?  No.  

Anyway, if you don't get it by now, not sure you will.  

Sorry about the foot.  Get well.  

Thanks for serving.  

Nice shoes...don't they pay you enough not wear holey ones?  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:10:08 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry to hear about the foot. But that's why you didn't pay any taxes. The Gulf is a Congress mandated tax-free zone. Pretty sweet of them, eh?

And while I was a contractor overseas working for Lockheed, I wasn't required to pay income taxes.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:11:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In fact, yes.  

In principle?  No.  

Anyway, if you don't get it by now, not sure you will.  

Sorry about the foot.  Get well.  

Thanks for serving.  

Nice shoes...don't they pay you enough not wear holey ones?  

Those were the ones I was wearing when I broke my foot!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Whe should ask people who's lives will be impacted by this new regulation. Now how do I get in touch with Bill and Monica?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:18:38 PM EDT
[#39]
This story is BS.
They HAVE NOT tightened any laws regarding Cuban Cigars.
This is nonsense.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:20:15 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Actually, US jurisdiction over its citizens can and does extend to extraterritorial acts.  Here's a newsflash: Americans living abroad are still required to pay income tax to the IRS or risk prosecution.

That's ONLY true if that person is NOT paying income taxes in the country the live in outside the U.S.   American citizens living in Europe pay taxes in whatever country the live in, and NOT in the U.S. (as a general rule).  The U.S. has tax treaties with most countries in the world that are designed to allow this.

Believe me, because U.S. taxes are ridiculoulsy low, most U.S. citizens living in Europe would LOVE to be paying U.S. taxes !!!  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That"s my understanding too.

This is also nonsense.

If you know your cigars and smoke enough of them, you'll learn this, as well.

While true, that you will come across Cohibas with poor QC...

A Montecristo #2, Bolivar Belicoso Fino, or Partagas #4 is untouchable by any Nicaraguan or Dominican Smoke.
I've smoked them all, and base my judgement on THAT.

If you haven't smoked AT LEAST  several boxes of several brands of top Cubans, you have no business making such claims.

So start smoking.  Enjoy.  Get back to me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:24:34 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm a Partagas fan.  I like the Cubans better than the Dominicans.  If I can get ahold of Cuban Partagas then I will smoke the hell out of them.

You all know that there are plenty of elected and appointed public officials who smoke Cubans and will continue to do so.  Nobody is going to get in trouble over this unless you smuggle in mass amounts for resale.

And hypocritical arguements of "principle" are flatly ridiculous.  If you want to set your feet on that platform then tell me all about how murder and speeding are so similar.  

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:33:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So it's rape when the kids charge money? Not according to the foreign laws, just American laws. It's called prostitution. So, now that we got that out of the way, do you have a problem with American prosecution under American law for these actions?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So it's rape when the kids charge money? Not according to the foreign laws, just American laws. It's called prostitution. So, now that we got that out of the way, do you have a problem with American prosecution under American law for these actions?

I have a problem with any adult having sex with any child, any where.

However I can see the difference between that and smoking cigars.  CAN YOU?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, you can use a large font to oversize your opinions. Congrats.

Lemme get this straight....

You don't want the US to give out criminal charges to Americans who consume Cuban cigars while abroad because it's against the US laws, but is legal in the country of consumption..

But you have a problem with Americans having sex with underaged people in foreign countries legally, but can be given criminal charges in America for breaking an American law.

You want to say (in a large font that you think somehow makes your response better than mine) the actions are different and therefore invalidate the argument, however the situations are the exact same and you're contradicting yourself.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#47]

Awful lot of bullshit over a few fucking cigars.  Meanwhile, anyone can sneak a dirty bomb across our open borders.   But hell, it's a lot easier to catch some dumb bastard buying cigars
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:49:49 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Actually, US jurisdiction over its citizens can and does extend to extraterritorial acts.  Here's a newsflash: Americans living abroad are still required to pay income tax to the IRS or risk prosecution.

That's ONLY true if that person is NOT paying income taxes in the country the live in outside the U.S.   American citizens living in Europe pay taxes in whatever country the live in, and NOT in the U.S. (as a general rule).  The U.S. has tax treaties with most countries in the world that are designed to allow this.

Believe me, because U.S. taxes are ridiculoulsy low, most U.S. citizens living in Europe would LOVE to be paying U.S. taxes !!!  

All income of US citizens abroad is subject to federal taxation in the US.  There is an income credit, which if IIRC allows the first $85,000 to be taxed at a 0% rate.  There is also a system of foreign tax credits through various tax treaties which give some relief as well.  But at the end of the day, 100% of your foreign income is subject to tax, even if no tax is due as a result of the aforementioned credits.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, you can use a large font to oversize your opinions. Congrats.

You don't want the US to give out criminal charges to Americans who consume Cuban cigars while abroad because it's against the US laws, but is legal in the country of consumption..

But you have a problem with Americans having sex with underaged people in foreign countries legally, but can be given criminal charges in America for breaking an American law.

You want to say (in a large font that you think somehow makes your response better than mine) the actions are different and therefore invalidate the argument, however the situations are the exact same and you're contradicting yourself.

do you see the difference between having sex with a child and lighting a cigar?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

So you are blind to your personal morals and ethics and lock-step into place with any and every U.S. law on the books?

Do you exceed the speed limit by just 1 mile over?  Then according to you - you should be given no less slack than someone who is a serial killer.

Hypocritical.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top