Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/26/2006 8:20:36 AM EDT
Well shoot...there goes the neighborhood!  NASCAR officials announced earlier this week that Toyota will be competing in the NEXTEL and Bush races starting in 2007.

The little nippers are going to race their Camrys.

There will be three teams and six cars.

One team will be led by Bill Davis, one by Michael Waltrip.

Honda has been kickin butt in Formula 1 and CART for some time now...and it was only a matter of time before one of the furriners broke into NASCAR...BUT...this is still strange.  I just never figured to see an Accord or Camry going fast and turning left!

Amazing...

So...how many think that Honda is next...followed closely by Nissan?  How long before they begin dominating the sport?

NASCAR News
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:23:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, Ford & Chevy are losing money hand-over-fist in the U.S. Domestic market, no reason Toyota shouldn't take over NASCAR, too.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#2]
They have been in Nascar for a few years in the truck series, of course they would take the next logical step.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Honda has been kickin butt in Formula 1 and CART for some time now...and it was only a matter of time before one of the furriners broke into NASCAR...BUT...this is still strange.  I just never figured to see an Accord or Camry going fast and turning left!

Honda hasn't won a race in F1 in 15 years. They did dominate in CART, but left 5 years ago for Tony George's abortion, the IRL, to race in front of empty grandstands.

What should scare the big 3 is that Toyota has no problem spending money on racing. They are currently spending ~$500 Million a year to run mid-pack in Formula 1.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Was never a NASCAR fan... but when Ford dumped the Thunderbird and went to the Taurus, I threw up in my mouth a little.

At least Chevy has it right.  They went with the Monte Carlo, which is still a little bit respectable.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:32:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Breaking news: Daytona 500, Toyota teams take the take 10 finishing positions.
Other teams whine and cry, new rules are established to "even" the playing field.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:33:14 AM EDT
[#6]
This could be good...Toyota builds a race engine that goes the 500 miles on one tank of gas.  No need for the pits other than new tires
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:34:40 AM EDT
[#7]
NASCAR is afraid of Toyota and will not allow them to run a "factory" team, because Toyota has the financial and technical resources that would blow the other 3~4 company's out of the competition. Remember, before Toyota decided to race in NASCAR trucks, they didn't even make a pushrod motor and they have competed strong against the other brands that have been developing their same motors for 40+ years.
If Toyota were to dump Formula 1 type money into their NASCAR program, they would easily become the taxi car to beat at the taxi races.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:34:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Was never a NASCAR fan... but when Ford dumped the Thunderbird and went to the Taurus, I threw up in my mouth a little.

At least Chevy has it right.  They went with the Monte Carlo, which is still a little bit respectable.

Its not like the cars are based of the real ones.

BTW Ferrari owneds F1 not honda
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:38:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Not anymore it doesn't.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:50:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I think this is great news.  I saw a truck the other day with a sticker on it that said "Toyota- it's what's for dinner."  I think it's funny how all the red necks are fired up about this.

~Dg84
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Good,hope they kick Ford's and GM's arses
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:53:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Honda hasn't won a race in F1 in 15 years. They did dominate in CART, but left 5 years ago for Tony George's abortion, the IRL, to race in front of empty grandstands.

What should scare the big 3 is that Toyota has no problem spending money on racing. They are currently spending ~$500 Million a year to run mid-pack in Formula 1.

You're correct.  I meant Indy Car Series.  Honda IS doing well on that circuit.  Empty stands...really?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:56:15 AM EDT
[#13]
It was only a matter of time.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:57:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You're correct.  I meant Indy Car Series.  Honda IS doing well on that circuit.  Empty stands...really?

Well, they're the only manufacturer left in the series this year, so it's kind of hard not to do well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I think it is good, because this rivalry could add a more excitement to the sport, and maybe spur the GM and Ferd to build better cars instead of whining about their labor problems.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Maybe 20 years ago. Most of the competitive cars are powered by Honda engines.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Sweet!

I hope they kick ass.  I like the Toyota Atlantic series, and hopefully they can transfer some of the technology to NASCAR.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:02:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:02:47 AM EDT
[#19]
What seems to be the problem?  Because Toyota is a foreign owned company?  Or the fact that Toyota builds more vehicles in the US than Ford, GM or chrysler do?  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTW Ferrari owns F1 not honda

duuhhhh, Michael Schumacher has 7 World Driving Championships (the first in 1994) so what the heck you been watching for the last 12 years???????

= 5

In F1, even though they had a bad year last year Ferrari is still the car and driver to beat.

Mike

ETA - from here:
http://www.mcz.com/f1/stand.htm

1990 - Mclaren - Senna (Mercedes)
1991 - Mclaren - Senna (Mercedes)
1992 - Williams - Mansell (Honda)
1993 - Williams - Prost (Ford)
1994 - Benetton - Schmy (Ford)
1995 - Benetton - Schmy (Renault)
1996 - Williams - D.Hill (Renault)
1997 - Williams - Villeneuve (Renault)
1998 - Mclaren - Hakkinen (Mercedes)
1999 - Mclaren - Hakkinen (Mercedes)
2000-  Ferrari - Schmy (Ferrari)
2001-  Ferrari - Schmy (Ferrari)
2002-  Ferrari - Schmy (Ferrari)
2003-  Ferrari - Schmy (Ferrari)
2000-  Ferrari - Schmy (Ferrari)
2005 - Renault - Alonso (Renault)

So since 1990 Honda only won one F1 championship, in 15 years............, nuff said.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:08:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah real competative

Pos   Team        Points
1 Renault  191
2 McLaren 182
3 Ferrari    100
4 Toyota          88
5 BMW-Williams 66
6 BARHonda 38
7 Red Bull   34
8 Sauber             20
9 Jordan              12
10     Minardi           7
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:17:38 AM EDT
[#22]
IIRC Toyota buys the engine from the usual NASCAR engine folks (Yates, etc...)

The key to winning is teamwork and strategy, and they appeared to have a strong grasp of those concepts when they first hit the NASCAR Truck series. All the teams would practice together and discuss changes so that every team racer would be in top notch shape for the race. This intimidates the other teams since you're seeing Toyota in practically all of the top finishing positions (or close to it).

I've noticed the same thing when tuning Fords. There are a lot of smart folks at SCT Tuning, and just about the same number of smart folks who use SCT's pro racer package to completely tune the Ford cars. However, not many of the tuners and individuals with the tuners are willing to share notes. Condescending attitudes and egos flare up all the time.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Toyota will transition over their TRD facility in Cali to build Nascab engines.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Toyota will transition over their TRD facility in Cali to build Nascab engines.

Thanks!

I'm sure they will do quite well in manufacturing engines.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:29:02 AM EDT
[#25]
TOYOTA- The same good folks who brought you Pearl Harbor.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:32:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

And the massacres throughout Asia.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:33:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:33:47 AM EDT
[#28]
You guys do realize that the cars we're talking about bear absolutely no resemblance to a production car, right? The normal Domsetic vs Import arguments do not apply here. These are purpose-built race cars, having nothing in common with either manufacturer's production cars. Hell, the Toyota cars will be carbuerated, for God's sake.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
What seems to be the problem?  Because Toyota is a foreign owned company?  Or the fact that Toyota builds more vehicles in the US than Ford, GM or chrysler do?  

Care to back that up with some numbers or are you just making crap up?  toyota does some final assembly in the US but Ford and GM build more here and have higher US parts content then toyota does.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Toyota have done extremely well in Formula 1. Their advance through the field has been much faster than most new teams.

NTM
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Someone will have to replace Ford and Chevy...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Do you own anything made in Japan? Or China? Or Germany?

The same types of ignorant comments can be made about them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And the massacres throughout Asia.

After some thought, I'll leave it at that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Rednecks aren't ready to see Toyota win.  Ford and GM haven't been able to accept or adapt to Toyota and the like kicking the shit out og them in sales.  Now they and their fans aren't prepared for it to move to the track.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Japan is no more that same country than the U.S. is the same as the country that defeated them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

that's about as ignorant as saying "Ford - from the country that slaughered hundreds of thousands of Indians and supported slavery"

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:13:45 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

FORD- Founded by a nazi sympathizer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:17:08 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

As you play Playstation on your Sony TV with Panasonic surround...

ETA: If it bothers you that much then you better look inside that computer you're using and tear out all the Japanese stuff.  Might as well do the same for Chinese gear because I'm sure you feel just as strongly about Tiananmen Square.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to back that up with some numbers or are you just making crap up?  toyota does some final assembly in the US but Ford and GM build more here and have higher US parts content then toyota does.

Sorry just wrong… Toyota does far more than final assembly in the US.

Toyota is the number 2 producer of US cars and will likely be number one by next year.

Toyota cars have as high or higher US part count than many if not most GM cars.  US auto companies use a lot of foreign parts and most US auto makers small car lines are not domestically produced. We have a 2 local plants that make parts used in Toyota’s.

Toyota directly employs more people (140,000+) than Ford (less than 100,000 after the current cutbacks) and there are between 300,000 - 400,000 people employed making parts and supporting Toyota’s US operations. Toyata is adding US job not cutting them.

BTW… Chrysler is not a US company it is a German company.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Woohooo! Driving in circles just got more interesting.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
You guys do realize that the cars we're talking about bear absolutely no resemblance to a production car, right? The normal Domsetic vs Import arguments do not apply here. These are purpose-built race cars, having nothing in common with either manufacturer's production cars. Hell, the Toyota cars will be carbuerated, for God's sake.

Yup...I understand...it's more for PR than anything else.

I would like to see a return to the "Run-what-Ya-Brung" racing of the '60s.  During that era, each factory provided their teams with engines.  A Dodge or Plymouth WAS a Dodge or Plymouth...powered by a highly modified HEMI engine.  Same thing for the Fords.

I remember when Richard Petty drove that Old '43 Plymouth around Daytona at unbelieveable speeds...with the Fords in hot pursuit.

Now I guess all the teams just buy their metro-engines from the same sources...and the motors aren't really manufacturer specific.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Who cares anyway?

NASCAR is a pathetic excuse for a racing series, and provides NOTHING in the way of development of new technologies that trickle down to everyday drivers.  

NASCAR sucks.  

I'd rather watch Olympic curling.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup...I understand...it's more for PR than anything else.

I would like to see a return to the "Run-what-Ya-Brung" racing of the '60s.  During that era, each factory provided their teams with engines.  A Dodge or Plymouth WAS a Dodge or Plymouth...powered by a highly modified HEMI engine.  Same thing for the Fords.

I remember when Richard Petty drove that Old '43 Plymouth around Daytona at unbelieveable speeds...with the Fords in hot pursuit.

Now I guess all the teams just buy their metro-engines from the same sources...and the motors aren't really manufacturer specific.  

You need to check out WRC
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:33:30 AM EDT
[#44]
I always thought NASCAR was an American sport!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:34:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Nascar teams win because of people.

Nascar makes/ changes the rules constantly to keep the playing field even when it comes to equipment. This is the polar opposite of Formula 1.

If and only if Toyota get a Yates/Roush/ Hendrick type team to convert then they would have success on par with the guys having success now.

Bill Davis/Micheal Waltrip are NOT going to win a championship for Toyota. Win some races....possibly. Nextel Cup championship.....no fucking way.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Chrysler/Dodge is a German company.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chrysler/Dodge is a German company.

Which explains why they are not hurting nearly to the extent that Ford and GM are hurting.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Nascar teams win because of people.

Nascar makes/ changes the rules constantly to keep the playing field even when it comes to equipment. This is the polar opposite of Formula 1.

Not for much longer.

F1 is going the way of NASCAR… equalizing equipment and backpedaling as fast as they can from very expensive cutting edge technology.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#49]
I want my German 2008 Challenger
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry just wrong… Toyota does far more than final assembly in the US.

Toyota is the number 2 producer of US cars and will likely be number one by next year.

Toyota cars have as high or higher US part count than many if not most GM cars.  US auto companies use a lot of foreign parts and most US auto makers small car lines are not domestically produced. We have a 2 local plants that make parts used in Toyota’s.

Toyota directly employs more people (140,000+) than Ford (less than 100,000 after the current cutbacks) and there are between 300,000 - 400,000 people employed making parts and supporting Toyota’s US operations. Toyata is adding US job not cutting them.

BTW… Chrysler is not a US company it is a German company.

Not to mention they are building a multibillion dollar tech center in Ann Arbor, MI.  Its interesting they took all their facilities and moved them to Michigan.  Pissed off a lot of the libtards that worked for them and refused to move.  They had to find new jobs and there were more jobs for the midwest while GM and FORD are gutting their operations.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top