Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/10/2006 7:24:08 PM EDT
I am a big Glock person, very loyal to them although I have several other types of handguns.  It has been quite some time since I made a purchase and am considering an XD, what are the pros and cons to this gun and how much of a difference will I notice over a Glock.....
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#1]
With the XD, you can actually hit your target!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I was never happy with mine.  It rusted, had it refinished, had site lamp fall out.  Replaced again and sold.

Springfield fixed it, but I didnt care much for gun after awhile
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#4]
LOL I was waiting for either that or a Kaboom comment, I actually have no problems with my Glocks, most of them that is, there are a couple that aren't all that accurate.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#5]
how would you compare it to the Berreta Elite?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#6]
It fixes the two main problems of the Glock:

- grip angle
- trigger
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I love my XD, both of 'em. NEVER had a failure and they are more accurate then my eyeballs.Real nice to shoot. I can't compare to Glocks because I've never owned one.

ETA; I've had mine for two years with zero rust.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I prefer the glock...don't own an XD but have shot a few...Yes they are composite similar to the glock, and yes this is personal...but to me they just don't feel right...glock fits my hand well...the XD just does not.

Also, I don't like that very small grip safety...if you are holding the gun properly it is fine...but if you get in a situation where grip angle is off and you need the gun to go...it won't go bang.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
how would you compare it to the Berreta Elite?

Its hard to compare the two.  The Beretta Elite series are damn near, if not, world class, and one of the truly underated handguns of our time.  Especially the E1As.

The XD series on the other hand is a great service pistol, at a great price.  I've owned two, and foolishly let them get away.  I live in North/Central Texas, where its very humid, and I never had a rust issue.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#10]
The stock sights are better on the XD than on the Glock.

XD fits better in my hand, which one fits better in yours?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#11]
the slide has a much less durable finish
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I prefer the glock...don't own an XD but have shot a few...Yes they are composite similar to the glock, and yes this is personal...but to me they just don't feel right...glock fits my hand well...the XD just does not.

Also, I don't like that very small grip safety...if you are holding the gun properly it is fine...but if you get in a situation where grip angle is off and you need the gun to go...it won't go bang.

I found the opposite, the Glocks didn't feel right in my hands, the XD is perfect in my hands. I did not like the grip angle or the trigger pull of the Glocks. I felt that I had to always point the barrel downwards to align the sights properly, with the XD's there is no need to do this, the sights line up almost instantly.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The stock sights are better on the XD than on the Glock.

XD fits better in my hand, which one fits better in yours?

Thats what it really comes down to is which gun fits you best.  You're going to get all sorts of pro XD and anti GLOCK and Pro Glock and anti XD.  Ive shot the entire XD line but own none of them.  There are a few things I like about the XD more then Glock but I dont own a Glock either.  The XD has a better trigger IMO and I like the fact you dont have to dry fire the gun to take it apart.  I like the fact that Glocks are better finish.  The XD feels better to me although neither the Glock nor XD feels super nice to me.  I'm partial to my USP.   Dont let anyone tell you what you already know.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I shoot my glock 22 and 23 better than my XD40.
After years of Glocks, the XD just doesn't feel right to me, so I'm selling it..
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The XD has a better trigger IMO and I like the fact you dont have to dry fire the gun to take it apart.

Actually, you do have to pull the trigger to disassemble.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I like my XD9 tactical just fine.  Never have been a Glock fan though.  The XD fits me more like a 1911.  No function problems, although the tigger lever will get warm if you go through 300+ rounds in less than an hour.  I don't use mine for CCW and normally shoot at an indoor range, so no issues thus far with the slide finish durability.  Fairly accurate, but not as good as my Kimber Gold Match (not a fair comparison, Kimber is 2x the cost).
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Owned a 4" XD40 and liked the pistol.  Here's my take:

Pros:
grip safety
loaded chamber indicator
cocked striker indicator
nice mags

Cons:
poor finish on metal parts
higher bore axis than Glocks
not nearly as accurate as my Glocks

Notice I didn't mention the grip angle?  In my mind it's a non-issue.  Shoot whatever you shoot - you'll get used to it and adapt.

In the end I sold the XD40, though.  Nice pistol, but I much prefer the tenifer finish on Glock pistols and my seemingly better accuracy with the Glocks...

YMMV
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I just bought a Springfield XD-40 SubCompact tonite ( used - excellent condition for $370 )

I also have a Glock 21  ( 100% reliable for years )

I will run the XD-40 thru the gauntlet this week. It looks like a nice set up for the price. I wasn't shopping for a new firearm ... but couldn't pass up on the deal I got. The XD came w/ 3 mags - original case and tac lite for the rail. I am pretty sure would be around $525-550 new.

edited to add photo:

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I have an XD for the wife, very reliable pistol.   I like the grip safety but I'm a 1911 guy anyhow.   It has several improvements over the glock but in the next couple years I'm sure glock will change a few things to keep up.    Glock does have a tougher finish but the wife's XD has never had an issue and if you do Springfield will apply armory coat to the slide for free anyhow.  

I've owned both the glock and XD both had their ups and downs.   Will likely ditch the XD40 for the new 45acp version to cut out 40 cal altogether if it fits the wife as well.    

All that said, I still dont care for any of the plastic pistols.  

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#20]
had an xd40 tact and xd9 sub. I sold and got a glock 19 and g26. The glocks I carry every day(no, not both at the same time) I am not professional enough yet for a glock footay.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:53:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I have an XD9 (4" Service Model) and I like it.  If I miss the target it's because of me, not the gun.

I'm now eyeballing the XD in .45 ACP.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:38:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a Glock 27 and my wife has an XD9.  I carry the 27, she carries the XD9 S.C.  I like the XD better and it shoots better for me.  If I see a XD40 Sub-compact and I have cash, I will pick it up.

To each their own.  I don't see one as decidly better than the other without figuring an individual into it.

Some people have complained about the finish, but we have had no problems, and for the price difference I could have a better finish put on the slide and still be ahead.

Dan
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:39:21 AM EDT
[#23]
I have two XD's and will be buying my third on as soon as I save up for the new .45 ACP.  I have a XD9 4" and just purchased a XD40 3" sub compact.  Both guns are very reliable, very accurate and I have no rust problems what so ever and I live in the Pensacola, FL area (gulf coast; high humidity).  I don't have anything against Glocks.  I've never shot one.  I just don't like the way they feel in my hands.  They just doesn’t feel right to me.  On the other hand the XD fits my hand perfectly and the ergonomics are such that when I take aim, I’m automatically on target.  Love these guns!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:42:53 AM EDT
[#24]
I bought a HS2000 when they came out (the XD9 before Springfield). I liked it so much I bought another one and sold my Glock 19 (which paid for both my HSs).  I regularly use them in IDPA competition and beat a lot of Glock owners with them.

I kept my Glock 22 but I eventually bought an XD40 which I like very much.

The XD has a steel trigger, steel sights, metal mags, ambidextrious mag release, grip safety, loaded chamber indicator, cocked indicator.  

They are coming out with an 13 shot  XD45 which just might be the cat's ass in terms of a carry 45.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:44:38 AM EDT
[#25]
We need to put a collection together to buy a XD to send to Bigbore for torture testing.  I don't think that the pistol will hold up like his 21 has so far.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=13658

SBG

ETA -Link
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:48:19 AM EDT
[#26]
I put my life into my .40, I have never had a problem with it. I did, however, get the slide chromed because the finish was wearing off.

If people say they rust, it is because they do not know how to take care of a weapon.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:48:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I have 3 XD's

subcompact  9
service .40
service .357sig

i alternate carrying each one in my 2 comptac  holsters.  never had a major issue with them (the .40 was ammo picky at first)
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:54:05 AM EDT
[#28]

i have a Springfield XD9 and an XD9 Subcompact.

i also have a Glock 17 and a Glock 19.

my impression:

the springfields are just better firearms *IF* you don't mind a gun that will rust if left in a humid car for an afternoon.

i think the springfields are fit better. the trigger is larger and flatter, i like the grip angle better,  they are plenty reliable (i have about 13K through my fullsize XD with only 1 or 2 problems that happened in the first mag), the triggerguard is more open, etc.

but they WILL rust (slide) just in humid weather. i have to constantly keep a light coat of lube on my subcompact (being my CCW piece) because body heat and sweat will rust the slide.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:03:05 AM EDT
[#29]
For those of you having problems with rust on the slide you may want to try this.  The price is $45 to Duracoat the slide and that includes return shipping.  I think I the turnaround time is something like 5 days.

www.xd-hs2000.com/duracoat.html
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:09:08 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
For those of you having problems with rust on the slide you may want to try this.  The price is $45 to Duracoat the slide and that includes return shipping.  I think I the turnaround time is something like 5 days.

I got mine for free, the LIFETIME warenty covers it, well... for life.

They armorykote it and its just fine. mine is entirly OD now =)
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:20:04 AM EDT
[#31]
SIG RULES!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:24:07 AM EDT
[#32]
I really like my .357 Sig XD.  It is very accurate, easy for me to grip and obtain a quick sight picture and easy to conceal.  Lately it has also become my carry piece.  

Haven't seen any rusting yet.  Mine sits in a dry place though...

I recommend it.  

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:48:24 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
XD is a rust-o-matic...

check out www.hs2000talk.com/index.php?sid=4952747c34a3e38afb3e833e80ef74ad

I had a 9 SC.  Operated well, but rusted if you looked at it funny.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:57:11 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got mine for free, the LIFETIME warenty covers it, well... for life.

They armorykote it and its just fine. mine is entirly OD now =)

Did you send it back to SA?  They are great on warrenty stuff.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:08:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Just a couple of notes:

I don't believe SA will warranty the finish any longer, or at least they are getting more picky about doing it.  According to posts on hs2000talk, they are now calling it natural wear and no longer automatically refinish any slide with finish wear or surface rust that wipes off with oil.

People have said the XD mags are nicer than the Glock mags.  I think the Glock mags are better.  The are metal lined with a plastic coating that seem to function much better than the SA mags.  My shiney SA mags jam up pretty easily if they get the slightest bit of dirt/dust in them.  My Beretta and Glock mags do not have this issue.  Although the 16rd SA mags seem to be a bit better with the different follower than the 10 or 15rd mags.

I like the grip much better on the XD than on the 3rd gen G17 with the finger groves.  The 2nd gen G17s feel much better in my hand than the 3rd gens.

I do shoot better with my XD service than I do with my G17.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:17:07 AM EDT
[#36]

If people say they rust, it is because they do not know how to take care of a weapon.

That's a big +1.  I own an XD 40 Service and use it as my primary carry piece.  The finish certainly isn't as hardcore as the tennifer finish on the Glock, but it5 isn't a "rust-o-matic" either.  Such claims are the height of absurdity.

I don't mind Glocks, but I vastly prefer the XD's grip angle and trigger.  I also like the grip safety and the chamber/striker indicators.  Ultimately, it's an issue of personal preference.  I'd recommend going to a decent range (if available) and renting one to see for yourself how you like it.

-James
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:21:01 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

That's a big +1.  

My XD-9SC came from Croatia with rust in the rear sight dovetail.  Therefore, Croatia does not know how to take care of a weapon.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:23:38 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
It fixes the two main problems of the Glock:

- grip angle
- trigger

imo, yes.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:28:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Better grip angle and much better trigger than glock.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:33:08 AM EDT
[#40]
I've shot a few of them, I prefer my G23.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:35:10 AM EDT
[#41]

xd on the hip
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:36:39 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Just a couple of notes:

I don't believe SA will warranty the finish any longer, or at least they are getting more picky about doing it.  According to posts on hs2000talk, they are now calling it natural wear and no longer automatically refinish any slide with finish wear or surface rust that wipes off with oil.

People have said the XD mags are nicer than the Glock mags.  I think the Glock mags are better.  The are metal lined with a plastic coating that seem to function much better than the SA mags.  My shiney SA mags jam up pretty easily if they get the slightest bit of dirt/dust in them.  My Beretta and Glock mags do not have this issue.  Although the 16rd SA mags seem to be a bit better with the different follower than the 10 or 15rd mags.

I like the grip much better on the XD than on the 3rd gen G17 with the finger groves.  The 2nd gen G17s feel much better in my hand than the 3rd gens.

I do shoot better with my XD service than I do with my G17.

I sent my SA light weight compact 45 back last year and asked them to polish the ramp which was going to cost me $60 bucks at a gun dealer and asked if they could fix the scratch I had put on the finish.  They not only polished the ramp, but they change out the springs in it, put a full guide rod in it, and reparkerized the whole gun.  I have been extremely happy with SA in all matters.  I don’t know why they wouldn’t fix a problem with a rusting slide.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:40:01 AM EDT
[#43]

My shiney SA mags jam up pretty easily if they get the slightest bit of dirt/dust in them.

I drop mine all the time when I shoot Production with it. I pick them up, wipe them on my jeans and move on.

I have yet to have a FTF due to 'the slightest bit of dirt/ dust' on the mags.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:42:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Recently purchased my 3rd XD if that tells you anything.  The rust issue there again has to do with folks that don't properly take care of the weapon.  A coat of Blue Wonder Armadillo or something similar will help protect it along with proper care.  The rust is the result of the owner, not the weapon itself.

Love the grip angle and after getting used to the trigger, they shoot great.  The 40sub is my daily ccw.

Click Here For XD Articles-Reviews-Tests
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:50:44 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Just a couple of notes:

Thats just wrong.

I sent mine in about 6 months ago, and one of my friends sent his in 2 weeks ago.

Springfeild is very good about thier warenty.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:51:15 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
XD is a rust-o-matic...

check out www.hs2000talk.com/index.php?sid=4952747c34a3e38afb3e833e80ef74ad

Not true, at least not with mine.  I've had mine as a truck gun for over two years and I've never had a spot.  It gets quite a bit of abuse and is exposed to hot/cold/humidity every day.  Holstered and unholtered, no problems.  I take it out and wipe it down every couple of months if I haven't fired it.

Don't be scared of the XD, in my opinion.  I like it a lot more than the Glocks I've had, which were good as well.  I found the ergonomics of Glocks did not suit me so I sold them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
The rust is the result of the owner, not the weapon itself.

A specious comment at best.

Springfield refinishes guns for free because they have to - not because XD owners are idiots.  

The orgin of the problem rests squarely on the IM Metal production facility in Croatia.  SA assumes the responsibility for it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:54:49 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I have a Glock 27 and my wife has an XD9.  I carry the 27, she carries the XD9 S.C.
Dan

Funny, my girlfriend and I are the opposite.  She carries her Glock 27 and I carry one of two XD40s.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:55:29 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The rust is the result of the owner, not the weapon itself.

A specious comment at best.

Springfield refinishes guns for free because they have to - not because XD owners are idiots.  

The orgin of the problem rests squarely on the IM Metal production facility in Croatia.  SA assumes the responsibility for it.

Dolomite, though that is a good argument, and I see where you make a vaild point....Why is it then some people NEVER have a problem ( I did have a problem with wear not rust ) with rust and some do?

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:57:58 AM EDT
[#50]
i duracoted 1 for a friend, his rusted every time he touched it...

gave it a triger job as well, the factory trigger is crappyer then the glock..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top