Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:08:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I am very pleased w/ my both my XD 9's (4" and subcompact), I also like the fact that it has a similiar feel to my 1911. NO rust problems and FWIW I carried daily in Seattle for a year and a half, have shot it in the snow and rain, etc. I have introduced at least 8 different people to shooting, (5 men 3 women) they all liked the XD very much. (they fired the XD, Walther P22, CX4 Storm, and my Kimber)

sst7
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:12:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got 2 Glocks and 2 XDs. I like the grip angle on the XD better. Accuracy is similar. I never had a problem with the finish on either XD. I will get the 45ACP XD when it comes out this spring. Best of all, I haven't heard of any XD kabooms.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:17:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Dolomite, though that is a good argument, and I see where you make a vaild point....Why is it then some people NEVER have a problem ( I did have a problem with wear not rust ) with rust and some do?

Oh geez – I don’t know; could it possible be the factory?  

WI is not exactly the gun rust gun rust capital of the world.  Most XD owners I know do not have or have yet to experience rust issues, ‘most’ – not all.  At matches, I hear more complaints about XD’s rusting than any other make.  I’d probably chock it up to “kaBoom”-esque mass hysteria too if I hadn’t seen it myself, but to deny this is happening, or misplace the blame to the purchaser is simply kool-aid drinking.

Most of the price in these guns goes to pay for the aggressive marketing and advertising Springfield’s been throwing around, not instituting and enforcing quality manufacturing practices – because, damnit – there’s money to be made!

The Pištolja HS 2000 is worth $299 new tops.  If this gun was made in Austria or the US, then maybe it would be worth the $450+ dealers here are asking.

Quoted:
Best of all, I haven't heard of any XD kabooms.

Check back in again after they've sold 4,500,000 here in this country.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:19:08 AM EDT
[#4]

for those saying that the rust could be an owner problem, and not a gun problem...

i am one of those "freaky clean" gun people. my guns are ALWAYS immaculate. they are ALWAYS spotless clean with a light rub-down from an oiled cloth. i have experienced the slide rust. i found out about the problem on my subcompact first, when it was locked in my jeeps center console for during a very humid day. when i took it out [much to my surprise] there was a *light* surface rust on much of the slide. it all wiped off, but that's not the point.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:22:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
the springfields are just better firearms *IF* you don't mind a gun that will rust if left in a humid car for an afternoon.

I think this must be an isolated problem because I have had no such problems.  Mine has taken the Texas heat/humidity for two years.

I don't think the problems can always be narrowed down to just one cause such as quality.  I think there are other factors at play most of the time.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:11:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I've never had any problems with rust with my XD40.

but this could be because I've got a stainless...

I love it though. Accurate, easy to shoot and maintain, lightweight and relatively easy to conceal on my skinny waistline. (I've got the 4inch model)
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:15:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I own 3 of them Love them all!
I carry a 3" XD 9mm as my BUG.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I was waiting, with baited breath, to buy an XD when they came out in .45...but alas.....they are .45 GAP and not .45 ACP.......I guess I'll never be an authority on whether they rust or not.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:48:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I was waiting, with baited breath, to buy an XD when they came out in .45...but alas.....they are .45 GAP and not .45 ACP.......I guess I'll never be an authority on whether they rust or not.

.45ACP is out I have fondled one in my local Funstore.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Anybody read the 20000 round torture test in Testfire?..................anyway I love my XD ,no rust yet ....
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am a big Glock person, very loyal to them although I have several other types of handguns.  It has been quite some time since I made a purchase and am considering an XD, what are the pros and cons to this gun and how much of a difference will I notice over a Glock.....

Just like Glock in every good way. Nothing like Glock in the bad ways.

Love mine.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#12]

I've never had any problems with rust with my XD40.

but this could be because I've got a stainless...

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

for those saying that the rust could be an owner problem, and not a gun problem...

i am one of those "freaky clean" gun people. my guns are ALWAYS immaculate. they are ALWAYS spotless clean with a light rub-down from an oiled cloth. i have experienced the slide rust. i found out about the problem on my subcompact first, when it was locked in my jeeps center console for during a very humid day. when i took it out [much to my surprise] there was a *light* surface rust on much of the slide. it all wiped off, but that's not the point.

Well, many times I've gone to the range and not cleaned my XD for weeks. One time it poured rain as I continued to fire, I wiped off the water, but did not clean it for at least a week afterwards. Not a hint of rust. I have mine for a little over two years now and no problems. Maybe you clean your too much. Besides, they offer FREE slide refinishing if it rusts, so if mine does rust, it's a non issue( free refinish).
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:15:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Use BreakFree and there is no problem.  Save $100+ and get the XD!

Seriously though mine has never rusted or had a problem firing.  I like the feel of it in my hand and as others have said that's what it comes down to really.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Had a buddy shoot a home invader with a Springfield XD .40 caliber, took four hits to the chest to knock the guy down and stop him.  He loves his Springfield XD (as soon as the cops give it back to him of course)
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:59:07 AM EDT
[#16]
My 12 year old daughter took to my XD-9 like a fish to water...

Of all my handguns it's the one I can put first shot on target the quickest and then get the follow up shots there fastest with.

Never had a single failure, cheap mags, easy to care for, rugged as hell.

Only issue I have is with the slide finish.  It's a bit "ratty" compared to my P99 and USP but that in no way detracts from the fit and function of the weapon.

I'd trust my life to it without hesitation.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

.45ACP is out I have fondled one in my local Funstore.

You are correct, Sir!! w00t! I just found out at the funstore the other day!!
I have one on order. The OD green model to match my od green 1911 springy!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It fixes the two main problems of the Glock:

- grip angle
- trigger

how? by having a trigger just like a glock but with four times the reset length?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Slide will rust , but can be sent back for a factory refinish, as many, many have
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Slide will rust , but can be sent back for a factory refinish, as many, many have

or man up and learn to use gunkote
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#21]
I have both and like both.

Check out this thread:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=23132
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I have the .45 gap which I like, but I can confirm the slide is prone to some rust, also the grip safety has some rust.
I'm gonna duracoat the slide myself in the army's acu pattern.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#23]
What's the street price on the new XD 45?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
What's the street price on the new XD 45?

Fitty dolla from a banger.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top