Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why?  He missed.
View Quote

And then he killed it with the follow up shot in a hurry.  

90% of being a carpenter is knowing how to hide your mistakes.  Just sayin'.  

I would have missed both shots most likely, and I'm a decent shot.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Good shot.

I know your joking about sniper school, but that would have been a great statement if he adjusted the elevation and windage on his own accord.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Plus it was an unethical shot.  How many times have these so called long range shooters or hunters gone out and gut shot or only wounded an animal at those extreme ranges?  We will never see that on TV or youtube.  

If you can't get within a few hundred yards of an Elk then you are a pretty piss poor hunter.

Just my opinion of course.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why?  He missed.
View Quote

A second round hit at 1376 is good work.   Wind doping is key at that range.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Plus it was an unethical shot.  How many times have these so called long range shooters or hunters gone out and gut shot or only wounded an animal at those extreme ranges?  We will never see that on TV or youtube.  

If you can't get within a few hundred yards of an Elk then you are a pretty piss poor hunter.

View Quote

Why was it unethical?    He made a kill shot.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:04:46 AM EDT
[#10]
After missing the first, which could have easily been in the guts.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit.  The Dad goes on to say they routinely ring a 24" gong at that range.  If they can do that, they're in the KZ for an elk.  The fact he made a clean kill shot on the follow up tells me he was fairly solid at that range.  I'd have been freaking out.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At great risk of wounding the animal. That was a stunt shot, and not something folks should be proud of teaching their kids to do, regardless of how well they shoot.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice.  Real nice.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

At great risk of wounding the animal. That was a stunt shot, and not something folks should be proud of teaching their kids to do, regardless of how well they shoot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you know there was great risk of wounding?  I really don't think you are in the position  to judge that.    I don't think the second shot was luck based on their ability.   I hit steel at that kind of range regularly that would be a kill shot on an elk.   Depending on  the conditions  I would take that shot without worry.

It's funny to see what non long range shooters think about shooting game at any distance past a couple of hundred  yards.   Most 'hunters'  have no idea what they are doing shooting past 300 yards.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

How do you know there was great risk of wounding?  I really don't think you are in the position  to judge that.    I don't think the second shot was luck based on their ability.   I hit steel at that kind of range regularly that would be a kill shot on an elk.   Depending on  the conditions  I would take that shot without worry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cause like you and me, he couldn't have made the shot with a fake elk and a case of ammo........so he's jealous.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Damn these so called hunters and their fancy ass equipment.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you hunt? Are you not aware that animals don't always stand still like steel? What's the bullet's flight time to the elk? How far might it move between the shot and the impact if it decides to start walking, trotting, laying down, turning, etc.? This is just one good reason not to try a shot like this or celebrate those who do.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:15:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Once again we have a case of if you don't like it or can't do it then no one else should either.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Cause like you and me, he couldn't have made the shot with a fake elk and a case of ammo........so he's jealous.
View Quote

Yes, that's exactly right. Because I think what you posted is a terrible idea I must be jealous. You have seen right through me.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:16:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Wow - strong work kid.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yes, that's exactly right. Because I think what you posted is a terrible idea I must be jealous. You have seen right through me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm glad you admitted it.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Great shooting, horrible hunting ethics.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

What should they be using? Let us know so we can make it federal law.

Quoted:

Great shooting, horrible hunting ethics.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spears and bows made of wood and rocks!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:23:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Do you hunt? Are you not aware that animals don't always stand still like steel? What's the bullet's flight time to the elk? How far might it move between the shot and the impact if it decides to start walking, trotting, laying down, turning, etc.? This is just one good reason not to try a shot like this or celebrate those who do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh no,  something might go wrong!   Yes,  I hunt.   I also know the flight time of my 300wm bullet is about 2 seconds at 1350.   A less skilled shooter could make all other sorts of errors at closer ranges too.   What is your point exactly?  

Hunting isn't an exact science no matter what.   You try to eliminate the variables,  and drive on.   I know I have the skills to take shots like that,  so you cannot say I shouldn't  take that shot unless you are there and have a comparable level of skill.   Otherwise,  you are talking out of your ass.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.  At what magical range is it an "ethical"  shot?   Please,  instruct us.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:30:47 AM EDT
[#30]
good shooting and the dad must be/is very good . i would love to spend some time with him ,i am sure i would  learn allot
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:30:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can't argue with the part in red...

edit:  Deer hunting I'll take high to medium % shots all day.  I don't like to wound animals but I'm out there to kill them and eat them... there are plenty of deer to go around.  I haven't gut shot a deer yet but I'm sure there will come a day.  I won't take a shot unless I'm pretty damn sure it will be a clean kill but I won't pass up on a deer just because I can't GUARANTEE a clean kill.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I take it you are not very familiar with elk hunting in the West. If you aren't hunting black timber, there are many times you aren't going to get within 300 yards of an Elk. 300 yards is a chip shot to most western hunters out of necessity.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I take it you are not very familiar with elk hunting in the West. If you aren't hunting black timber, there are many times you aren't going to get within 300 yards of an Elk. 300 yards is a chip shot to most western hunters out of necessity.

True, but missing the fist shot by a good margin shows that it could have been just as easily sunk into it's guts. Had he not lucked out and got a clean miss on that first shot the Elk would have been 5 miles away in short order, slowly bleeding out and may or may not have been recovered that day or before the meat spoiled.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Oh no,  something might go wrong!   Yes,  I hunt.   I also know the flight time of my 300wm bullet is about 2 seconds at 1350.   A less skilled shooter could make all other sorts of errors at closer ranges too.   What is your point exactly?  

Hunting isn't an exact science no matter what.   You try to eliminate the variables,  and drive on.   I know I have the skills to take shots like that,  so you cannot say I shouldn't  take that shot unless you are there and have a comparable level of skill.   Otherwise,  you are talking out of your ass.  

View Quote

Now you're just being obtuse. My point is obvious-- if the flight time of the bullet is excessive (for example, two freaking seconds), the animal can move and the shot is thrown despite any amount of skill on the shooter's part. Hunters need to take shots within their ability, of course, but should also accept that no matter how well they are able to shoot some shots will always present an excessive risk of wounding an animal.

Yes, I can say you shouldn't take certain shots. 1376 yds on an elk is irresponsible because there is a significant risk of only wounding the animal. My level of skill, your level of skill, Papa Smurf's level of skill has nothing at all to do with the topic at hand.  Why do you keep throwing that out there?

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

They obviously train for these long distances. They seem to be about the pursuit of their perfection, the challenge to continuously seek and surpass the limits of their abilities. It's nice to see people doing that in these days of the FSA mentality.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have hiked and hunted in terrain matching where that kid shot his Elk.  I have stalked up on Elk and Moose in Wyoming, Colorado and Montana.   I agree 300 yards is a chip shot, so let's extend it to 500 and call it good.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I applaud your dedication to mediocrity.

Stand proud, American
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:35:32 AM EDT
[#37]
IT was a 7mmRem.  I'd be more worried about how my bullet was going to perform at that range/velocity.  Seems like a good way to wind up tracking all night.  Great shooting/gun though.
Quick calculations:
7mm @ 3050 MV
165gr. bullet .625 BC (im just assuming)
1400yrds: impact velocity= <1350fps
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Great follow up! Good shooting little man.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Once again we have a case of if you don't like it or can't do it then no one else should either.
View Quote

BINGO!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Stand proud, American
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stand proud, American

Is it somehow not as great a feat to hit steel at that range? Mediocrity has nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Part of being a sniper is knowing when not to shoot.
View Quote

And apparently, that wasn't one of those times.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Stand proud, American
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stand proud, American

Yes, because if I consider it unethical to risk an extremely long shot during a hunt I must be a member of the FSA.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:39:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Is it somehow not as great a feat to hit steel at that range? Mediocrity has nothing to do with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stand proud, American

Not on his part, but in your mindset.........
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:40:39 AM EDT
[#44]
What about my mindset? enlighten me
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

They obviously train for these long distances. They seem to be about the pursuit of their perfection, the challenge to continuously seek and surpass the limits of their abilities. It's nice to see people doing that in these days of the FSA mentality.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, do it on a steel plate that can't take a step, or slowly die if a burst of wind at the 1000 yard mark moves the bullet a fraction of an inch.  

I am not disputing that there are people out there who can make shots like that.  I am not claiming that I can make a shot like that, but I bet I can.  Dial in my scope for that exact range, for the wind conditions they think they have and all I have to do, like the kid in the video, is put the cross hairs on his front shoulder and pull the trigger?  

Like someone else mentioned, you try to cut the variables out as much as possible.  The hunter controls the rifle and everything associated with it and firing it.  Everything else is uncontrollable.  The wind, the movement of the animals, all play a part.  2 seconds is a long time to hope the animal doesn't take a half step.

Since he missed it on the first shot, his shooting companions are wrong for letting him shoot again.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yes, because if I consider it unethical to risk an extremely long shot during a hunt I must be a member of the FSA.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stand proud, American

If that's what you got out of my statement, you need to worry less about hunting ethics and more about critical thinking, lack of reading skills, improvement through education, common sense, etc.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Now you're just being obtuse. My point is obvious-- if the flight time of the bullet is excessive (for example, two freaking seconds), the animal can move and the shot is thrown despite any amount of skill on the shooter's part. Hunters need to take shots within their ability, of course, but should also accept that no matter how well they are able to shoot some shots will always present an excessive risk of wounding an animal.

Yes, I can say you shouldn't take certain shots. 1376 yds on an elk is irresponsible because there is a significant risk of only wounding the animal. My level of skill, your level of skill, Papa Smurf's level of skill has nothing at all to do with the topic at hand.  Why do you keep throwing that out there?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the flight time is your only issue?   Is that what you are saying?   If so,  you probably should not comment any more.

Do you know of that elk can be mortally wounded in the heart or lungs  and run for hundreds of yards?   I had to shoot an elk twice at almost 500 yards,  both shots through the heart,  to bring him down,  and he still ran almost a hundred yards into some nasty brush, and it took him over 30 minutes after that to die.   If that can happen at 500, do I need to be closer?  

Have YOU ever hunted or shot an elk?
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What about my mindset? enlighten me
View Quote

I don't think I can. Either you are one that strives to find their level of perfection or you are one resigned to walk the path of the safe and mundane.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If that's what you got out of my statement, you need to worry less about hunting ethics and more about critical thinking, lack of reading skills, improvement through education, common sense, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stand proud, American

Yeah, because you weren't actually trying to imply anything with this sort of BS:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I agree, do it on a steel plate that can't take a step, or slowly die if a burst of wind at the 1000 yard mark moves the bullet a fraction of an inch.  

I am not disputing that there are people out there who can make shots like that.  I am not claiming that I can make a shot like that, but I bet I can.  Dial in my scope for that exact range, for the wind conditions they think they have and all I have to do, like the kid in the video, is put the cross hairs on his front shoulder and pull the trigger?  

Like someone else mentioned, you try to cut the variables out as much as possible.  The hunter controls the rifle and everything associated with it and firing it.  Everything else is uncontrollable.  The wind, the movement of the animals, all play a part.  2 seconds is a long time to hope the animal doesn't take a half step.

Since he missed it on the first shot, his shooting companions are wrong for letting him shoot again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially since he missed the second shot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top