Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#1]
That just solidifies the point, I only thought he missed once.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#2]
double post
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great shooting, horrible hunting ethics.
View Quote

yep

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Nice.

One of my favorite shows, those Davidson boys out of Cody.
View Quote

Actually Burlington.  I have one of their rifles and rangefinders.  Makes it much easier.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Does it hurt, the sand that is, because you seem really fixated on this FSA shit? You need to get past the point of jealousy. Just because you aren't capable of this, or are not "comfortable" with this doesn't make this bad. Anti-gunners subscribe to this mentality as well. Don't read too much into that either. It seems you like to find any excuse to let that sand rub.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So the flight time is your only issue?   Is that what you are saying?   If so,  you probably should not comment any more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh no,  something might go wrong!   Yes,  I hunt.   I also know the flight time of my 300wm bullet is about 2 seconds at 1350.   A less skilled shooter could make all other sorts of errors at closer ranges too.   What is your point exactly?  

Hunting isn't an exact science no matter what.   You try to eliminate the variables,  and drive on.   I know I have the skills to take shots like that,  so you cannot say I shouldn't  take that shot unless you are there and have a comparable level of skill.   Otherwise,  you are talking out of your ass.  

Now you're just being obtuse. My point is obvious-- if the flight time of the bullet is excessive (for example, two freaking seconds), the animal can move and the shot is thrown despite any amount of skill on the shooter's part. Hunters need to take shots within their ability, of course, but should also accept that no matter how well they are able to shoot some shots will always present an excessive risk of wounding an animal.

Yes, I can say you shouldn't take certain shots. 1376 yds on an elk is irresponsible because there is a significant risk of only wounding the animal. My level of skill, your level of skill, Papa Smurf's level of skill has nothing at all to do with the topic at hand.  Why do you keep throwing that out there?

So the flight time is your only issue?   Is that what you are saying?   If so,  you probably should not comment any more.

No. It was only one reason:

Quoted:

Do you hunt? Are you not aware that animals don't always stand still like steel? What's the bullet's flight time to the elk? How far might it move between the shot and the impact if it decides to start walking, trotting, laying down, turning, etc.? This is just one good reason not to try a shot like this or celebrate those who do.

And no, I'm not going to shut up just because you or others disagree with me.

Reasons not to take stupid trick shots like this:

- Shooter's own abilities (unknown in this case)
- Rifle and load's inherent accuracy (also unknown)
- Wind conditions
- Terminal ballistics at greatly reduced velocity
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That just solidifies the point, I only thought he missed once.
View Quote

I think this entire discussion is above your pay grade.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

yep

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep

Exactly if you can't make the shot everytime, dont take it. Wait until you know you can kill it clean.

Hunting without ethics isn't hunting at all.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Guys saying it was a bad shot are just saying that because they don't have skills like this kid and his dad.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#11]

The kid? Really? He's just the retard pulling the trigger. The dad did the hard work. We used to have shoots where the brass and other VIPs would come out and shoot our sniper rifles. We'd set the range and windage. All they'd do is pull the trigger, like that kid. They'd hit targets all day long. Anyone can pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#12]
That looked like a great hunt for the kid.

Dad did a great job coaching him and setting him up right.

And geeze, the fudds are getting as bad as the petas in these threads.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

- Wind conditions
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh no,  something might go wrong!   Yes,  I hunt.   I also know the flight time of my 300wm bullet is about 2 seconds at 1350.   A less skilled shooter could make all other sorts of errors at closer ranges too.   What is your point exactly?  

Hunting isn't an exact science no matter what.   You try to eliminate the variables,  and drive on.   I know I have the skills to take shots like that,  so you cannot say I shouldn't  take that shot unless you are there and have a comparable level of skill.   Otherwise,  you are talking out of your ass.  

Now you're just being obtuse. My point is obvious-- if the flight time of the bullet is excessive (for example, two freaking seconds), the animal can move and the shot is thrown despite any amount of skill on the shooter's part. Hunters need to take shots within their ability, of course, but should also accept that no matter how well they are able to shoot some shots will always present an excessive risk of wounding an animal.

Yes, I can say you shouldn't take certain shots. 1376 yds on an elk is irresponsible because there is a significant risk of only wounding the animal. My level of skill, your level of skill, Papa Smurf's level of skill has nothing at all to do with the topic at hand.  Why do you keep throwing that out there?

Quoted:

Do you hunt? Are you not aware that animals don't always stand still like steel? What's the bullet's flight time to the elk? How far might it move between the shot and the impact if it decides to start walking, trotting, laying down, turning, etc.? This is just one good reason not to try a shot like this or celebrate those who do.

- Wind conditions

I will contact them and let them know that in the future they are to run all of this by you in order to get your permission before they hunt. I will also be notifying all other hunters as well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

- Wind conditions
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

- Wind conditions

None of those are variables for me.   You are a joke is why you should shut up.   You have no idea what you are talking about.     You must be an Obama voter.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No.

Your skill level should have no impact on how I use my equipment at all.  That would be akin to having a graduated licensing system for driving, hunting, conceal carrying, etc.  

I just killed this little feller a few days ago at 577 lased yards.  One shot, dropped where he stood.  

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu240/Skg_Mre_Lght/tmp_20131021_163427796666037_zpsb84eeb65.jpg

I took the shot because I was more than comfortable in my abilities to shoot that distance.  Shoving everyone into a box based on someone else's limitations is asinine. I am of the mindset of letting people choose their own limitations based on their skill sets.  While not perfect, it is much better than limiting people based on the lowest common denominator.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Plus it was an unethical shot.  How many times have these so called long range shooters or hunters gone out and gut shot or only wounded an animal at those extreme ranges?  We will never see that on TV or youtube.  

If you can't get within a few hundred yards of an Elk then you are a pretty piss poor hunter.

Just my opinion of course.

I take it you are not very familiar with elk hunting in the West. If you aren't hunting black timber, there are many times you aren't going to get within 300 yards of an Elk. 300 yards is a chip shot to most western hunters out of necessity.

I have hiked and hunted in terrain matching where that kid shot his Elk.  I have stalked up on Elk and Moose in Wyoming, Colorado and Montana.   I agree 300 yards is a chip shot, so let's extend it to 500 and call it good.

No.

Your skill level should have no impact on how I use my equipment at all.  That would be akin to having a graduated licensing system for driving, hunting, conceal carrying, etc.  

I just killed this little feller a few days ago at 577 lased yards.  One shot, dropped where he stood.  

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu240/Skg_Mre_Lght/tmp_20131021_163427796666037_zpsb84eeb65.jpg

I took the shot because I was more than comfortable in my abilities to shoot that distance.  Shoving everyone into a box based on someone else's limitations is asinine. I am of the mindset of letting people choose their own limitations based on their skill sets.  While not perfect, it is much better than limiting people based on the lowest common denominator.

I am not saying there is a set range where no shots can be taken past it, the comment about 500 yards was tongue in cheek.   I said in my first response that it is just my opinion that the shot he took was unethical, based on distance and the fact that he missed.  577 yards is a hell of a difference when compared to over 1300.  

Hunt however you want to hunt, call it ethical or unethical, it is your choice.  I would never tell someone they couldn't hunt the way they wanted to unless they were doing it in an unsafe manner.    

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Exactly if you can't make the shot everytime, dont take it. Wait until you know you can kill it clean.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep

So you have NEVER missed a shot on ANY animal in your life?  How is it living in a life of absolutes?
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Guys saying it was a bad shot are just saying that because they don't have skills like this kid and his dad.
View Quote

Skills?  He missed.  Mad skills, those.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I am not saying there is a set range where no shots can be taken past it, the comment about 500 yards was tongue in cheek.   I said in my first response that it is just my opinion that the shot he took was unethical, based on distance and the fact that he missed.  577 yards is a hell of a difference when compared to over 1300.  

Hunt however you want to hunt, call it ethical or unethical, it is your choice.  I would never tell someone they couldn't hunt the way they wanted to unless they were doing it in an unsafe manner.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Plus it was an unethical shot.  How many times have these so called long range shooters or hunters gone out and gut shot or only wounded an animal at those extreme ranges?  We will never see that on TV or youtube.  

If you can't get within a few hundred yards of an Elk then you are a pretty piss poor hunter.

I take it you are not very familiar with elk hunting in the West. If you aren't hunting black timber, there are many times you aren't going to get within 300 yards of an Elk. 300 yards is a chip shot to most western hunters out of necessity.

I have hiked and hunted in terrain matching where that kid shot his Elk.  I have stalked up on Elk and Moose in Wyoming, Colorado and Montana.   I agree 300 yards is a chip shot, so let's extend it to 500 and call it good.

No.

That's exactly what you are doing now!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The kid? Really? He's just the retard pulling the trigger. The dad did the hard work. We used to have shoots where the brass and other VIPs would come out and shoot our sniper rifles. We'd set the range and windage. All they'd do is pull the trigger, like that kid. They'd hit targets all day long. Anyone can pull the trigger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Retard huh? Guess you started off right out of the gate with super sniper skills. This is a good way for a young man to start learning about shooting. At that range it is not just pulling the trigger either.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The kid did a little more than pull the trigger,  but I agree mostly that dad did most of the work.   Still,  good shooting and a great experience for father and son they will always have.

More people should get off their asses  and get their kids out there shooting and hunting or we will lose it as a culture.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#21]
The fudds are exposing themselves in numbers here.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I will contact them and let them know that in the future they are to run all of this by you in order to get your permission before they hunt. I will also be notifying all other hunters as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Wind conditions

Yes, because that's exactly what I have been suggesting all along.

Quoted:

None of those are variables for me.   You are a joke is why you should shut up.   You have no idea what you are talking about.     You must be an Obama voter.

You are immune to the laws of physics? Doesn't that sort of argument make you even a little embarrassed for yourself?
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Lol at all the people getting so worked up over the opinions of others.  

That little "you can't like something that I don't like" jab can go the other direction.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why can't you accept that it is possible to be a hunter and a shooter and still think this shot was a bad idea?

Will you be surprised if PETA and others use videos like this, showing a kid missing at long range, to call for further limits on hunting?
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
So the flight time is your only issue? Is that what you are saying? If so, you probably should not comment any more.

Do you know of that elk can be mortally wounded in the heart or lungs and run for hundreds of yards? I had to shoot an elk twice at almost 500 yards, both shots through the heart, to bring him down, and he still ran almost a hundred yards into some nasty brush, and it took him over 30 minutes after that to die. If that can happen at 500, do I need to be closer?

Have YOU ever hunted or shot an elk?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh no, something might go wrong! Yes, I hunt. I also know the flight time of my 300wm bullet is about 2 seconds at 1350. A less skilled shooter could make all other sorts of errors at closer ranges too. What is your point exactly?

Hunting isn't an exact science no matter what. You try to eliminate the variables, and drive on. I know I have the skills to take shots like that, so you cannot say I shouldn't take that shot unless you are there and have a comparable level of skill. Otherwise, you are talking out of your ass.

Yes, I can say you shouldn't take certain shots. 1376 yds on an elk is irresponsible because there is a significant risk of only wounding the animal. My level of skill, your level of skill, Papa Smurf's level of skill has nothing at all to do with the topic at hand. Why do you keep throwing that out there?

So the flight time is your only issue? Is that what you are saying? If so, you probably should not comment any more.

Do you know of that elk can be mortally wounded in the heart or lungs and run for hundreds of yards? I had to shoot an elk twice at almost 500 yards, both shots through the heart, to bring him down, and he still ran almost a hundred yards into some nasty brush, and it took him over 30 minutes after that to die. If that can happen at 500, do I need to be closer?

Have YOU ever hunted or shot an elk?

Exactly.  With a heart or lung shot, the brain has to run out of oxygen before they go down often times.  They are some kinda tough.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You are immune to the laws of physics? Doesn't that sort of argument make you even a little embarrassed for yourself?
View Quote

The more you post, the more apparent your insecurities, jealousy, and desire to suppress the freedoms of others manifest themselves. You should really stop posting.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#27]
snip
View Quote

Ummm, ValleyGunner, when you pulled your head out of your ass you didn't get all the shit out of your eyes.

Nowhere in any of my posts have I said they can't hunt that way.  What I have said is that they are hunting in a less than ethical manner, which is my opinion.  Go back and reread if you are still confused.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Wind conditions

Quoted:

No,  I use the laws of external ballistics to reduce the variables so I can kill elk at longer ranges.   It's pretty simple actually.  

I would bet $100 you don't shoot past 500 yards on any regular basis,  and hence have no idea what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL. So post your videos of making 1300+ yard shots. They missed, recalculated for wind a bit more and made a perfect 1376 yard kill. That took a lot of talent and skill.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:00:01 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote
Generally a clean miss is a bad shot.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Why can't you accept that it is possible to be a hunter and a shooter and still think this shot was a bad idea?

Will you be surprised if PETA and others use videos like this, showing a kid missing at long range, to call for further limits on hunting?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You live in fear. I will try to enjoy my hobbies and my ways of life.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

And you are foaming at the mouth. Give it a break.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

- Wind conditions

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh no, something might go wrong! Yes, I hunt. I also know the flight time of my 300wm bullet is about 2 seconds at 1350. A less skilled shooter could make all other sorts of errors at closer ranges too. What is your point exactly?

Hunting isn't an exact science no matter what. You try to eliminate the variables, and drive on. I know I have the skills to take shots like that, so you cannot say I shouldn't take that shot unless you are there and have a comparable level of skill. Otherwise, you are talking out of your ass.

Yes, I can say you shouldn't take certain shots. 1376 yds on an elk is irresponsible because there is a significant risk of only wounding the animal. My level of skill, your level of skill, Papa Smurf's level of skill has nothing at all to do with the topic at hand. Why do you keep throwing that out there?

Quoted:

- Wind conditions

Those guys have a TV show and build very expensive custom rifles.  They know what they are doing.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So you have NEVER missed a shot on ANY animal in your life?  How is it living in a life of absolutes?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep

I've never regretted being an ethical hunter. I've had to eat $500 out of state tag soup more than once because I wasn't willing to pull the trigger on a sketchy shot. But then I've never lost an animal that was gut shot either. I'm cool with it.
This kid completely missed an animal the size of a fucking sofa with all the time in the world standing still because he was 3/4 of a fucking mile away.
Yeah, he lucked out and hit it the 2nd time thankfully, but it could have gone the other way just as easily had that first shot missed to the left instead of low that elk would have been gone, and likely wasted. Simply so the show could boast a bit. The kid fucks up, they show another hunter with another guide that week...no big deal right?
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Derp.   Clearly,  a clean miss permitted a correction for a clean kill shot.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
I shot an elk with a 50 caliber muzzle loader at 250 yards. I estimated the range at 200.

Luckily there was snow. Unluckily I had to backpack it out a mile.

If the first bullet had hit three inches lower, it would have been DRT.

I don't shoot 30-06 that often, but if I practiced with 30-06 and 308 enough to get my dopes right, I would have no qualms shooting elk out to 600. If I had a 300 win mag or 338 win mag, and practiced enough to get my dopes right and bought a very nice range finder, I would have no qualms shooting out to 1000.

I think I'd only engage at 1000+ with a God awful huge round like 338 lapua though. I kind of want to get a 338 Lapua and shoot an elk in the middle of Mormon lake. They always stand in the middle and stare at hunters that can't get close enough.

ETA: I tend to take long range shots since I suck at hunting. For me, the end justifies the means so long as it is within the scope of the law. For muzzle loader hunts, my tactic is to carry three rifles between my dad and I. We both fire at the same elk simultaneously. If it isn't DRT, I shoot the third shot while dad reloads. Then, if we have to track it, we both reload and then advance. It works really well.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Ummm, ValleyGunner, when you pulled your head out of your ass you didn't get all the shit out of your eyes.

Nowhere in any of my posts have I said they can't hunt that way.  What I have said is that they are hunting in a less than ethical manner, which is my opinion.  Go back and reread if you are still confused.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
snip

I could barely stand to read your ignorant, emasculated, and liberal fudd drivel the first time. You re-read that horseshit if you want to. Your sentiment is transparent to everyone else.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I could barely stand to read your ignorant, emasculated, and liberal fudd drivel the first time. You re-read that horseshit if you want to. Your sentiment is transparent to everyone else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Did you learn to argue at the DU?
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Contribute something or you're just wasting bandwidth.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

As is your intelligence, please continue.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:05:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Followed up within seconds by a dead on 1300 yard kill shot.  They had the elevation a bit wrong,  The kid corrected, and fired again, quickly and smoothly, scoring a 1 shot kill where the animal went what looked like about a hundred meters.  Not bad.  

The fudd crowd here that thinks it's unethical to test yourself while hunting is just.....wow.  

Ooh!  You might trip and bump the gun on the way up, and knock the zero off.  Better just stay home and swap lies about the deer we let get away due to our superior ethics, while we munch on tofu....
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Those guys have a TV show and build very expensive custom rifles.  They know what they are doing.
View Quote

Three shots for one hit? I think I'll pass on that show, thanks.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

NO, I was too busy hunting. How about you?
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

I don't think you want to go there.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are arguing without even knowing the facts. How many shots did the kid take?
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Wow, there are a few people in this thread that need to calm the fuck down.

I would never dictate to someone at what range they should not take a shot, but in my opinion it was an unethical shot to take while hunting large game.

That has nothing to do with the FSA or Obama or PETA. That is based on my experiences as a hunter, and the general opinion of many hunters I have hunted and/or conversed with. 1300 feet is too fucking far for elk. Coyote? sure, take the shot.

With my 300WSM, a good rest, and a calm animal, I might take a shot up to 500 yards, because I know I can. If that kid can hit a 24" target regularly at that range, then it is his call on whether to take the shot. But it doesn't change my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:09:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Those who haven't missed or wounded an elk haven't hunted elk a lot generally.

It's not tree stand hunting.  You are often out of breath and the wind in the mountains can be vertical as well as horizontal.

Do you try and do your best not to wound them, sure.  I know this, if you don't shoot you will never get one.  Seen it many times, people waiting for the perfect shot.  You only get so many chances.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:10:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Followed up within seconds by a dead on 1300 yard kill shot.  They had the elevation a bit wrong,  The kid corrected, and fired again, quickly and smoothly, scoring a 1 shot kill where the animal went what looked like about a hundred meters.  Not bad.  

The fudd crowd here that thinks it's unethical to test yourself while hunting is just.....wow.  

Ooh!  You might trip and bump the gun on the way up, and knock the zero off.  Better just stay home and swap lies about the deer we let get away due to our superior ethics, while we munch on tofu....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 shot kill, or was it three?  Anything more than one was too many.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Wow, there are a few people in this thread that need to calm the fuck down.

I would never dictate to someone at what range they should not take a shot, but in my opinion it was an unethical shot to take while hunting large game.

That has nothing to do with the FSA or Obama or PETA. That is based on my experiences as a hunter, and the general opinion of many hunters I have hunted and/or conversed with. 1300 feet is too fucking far for elk. Coyote? sure, take the shot.

With my 300WSM, a good rest, and a calm animal, I might take a shot up to 500 yards, because I know I can. If that kid can hit a 24" target regularly at that range, then it is his call on whether to take the shot. But it doesn't change my opinion.
View Quote

You're talking about ethics while admitting that your choice of risky shooting depends on the game. So apparently, humane hunting is specie dictated.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top