Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/6/2013 8:25:15 AM EDT
LGS has a CMMG 1/7 twist 300 AAC Blackout $1399.

Always wanted a 300 blackout but just don't know if I want another caliber right now.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 8:26:03 AM EDT
[#1]
nope.. pass on it its a flavor of the month round.. and ammo is too expensive!
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes.

What's not to love about a .30 cal rifle that is easily reloaded for?
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 8:27:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You're just being greedy.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 8:30:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

BRB 5.56 brass into 300 blk brass.
BRB lots of 308 bullet options
BRB cheap to reload...
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Unless you've got a suppressor, then it's worth it for subsonic loadings...

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 8:31:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes.

Because it has the ballistics of 7.62x39.  What's the point.  Might as well just get an AK.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 8:33:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Heck, all ammo is too expensive right now.

I really don't need another caliber, but I love guns and don't have this caliber. After I just decided to try and standardize too.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 8:33:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

Because it has the ballistics of 7.62x39.  What's the point.  Might as well just get an AK.

And the BLK is limited to a number of bullet shape that will feed form a standard mag.. Its not like the Whisper with its multitude of bullet choices..
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

And the BLK is limited to a number of bullet shape that will feed form a standard mag.. Its not like the Whisper with its multitude of bullet choices..

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 8:34:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's why I wanted it. Subsonic surpressed hog killer.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

maybe sort of

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 8:36:07 AM EDT
[#12]
$1400 is pretty steep for CMMG. My litmus test for .300 blackout goes like this:

1. do you have a .308 or larger suppressor (a 9mm pistol suppressor is ideal)?
2. are you going SBR?
3. do you reload?

Answer yes to two of the three and you should get one.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 8:39:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm a big 300BLK fan, but in all honesty, if it isn't short barreled and/or suppressed, it's probably not worth it.

But on the other hand... it is another gun, so you can't really go wrong....
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 8:39:46 AM EDT
[#14]
If things calm down, that will be my next build.  Now the question is whether to SBR it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 8:46:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

Yeah! Why would I want a rifle with good ergonomics, easy optics, and great flexibility

when I could have a rifle with terrible ergonomics, bad sights, and a horrible trigger>
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If things calm down, that will be my next build.  Now the question is whether to SBR it.

why not, it begs for a supressor and its a low pressure round

one of the rare instances where sbr is ideal
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 8:46:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I passed.

My next build was going to be one in SBR. Then the bottom dropped out. This has a 16" CMMG WASP 1/7 barrel.
I just can't see $1400 for another caliber even though I reload.

Although they do have a Remington 798 in 375 H&H for $599.

I got to get out of here. The pressure is too much and my bonus check is saying NO! NO! Stay the course!
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

I don't like AK's.  Even if I did, where can I find one for under $200?  That's what it cost me to convert a 5.56 rifle to .300 blackout.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

I don't like AK's.  Even if I did, where can I find one for under $200?  That's what it cost me to convert a 5.56 rifle to .300 blackout.

All it requires different is a barrel swap?  Everything else is the same as 5.56?

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 8:51:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

All it requires different is a barrel swap?  Everything else is the same as 5.56?

Yep.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 8:58:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Do it, you know you want to.  Besides, the reloading possibilities are endless.  If you cast your own, there are even more options.  EXTREMELY CHEAP to shoot for reloaders.

Noveske 8.2" barrel

300-BLK-Pistol-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

300-BLK-Pistol-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#22]
And it has issues feeding things like this out of a standard non modified mag..

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

Yeah! Why would I want a rifle with good ergonomics, easy optics, and great flexibility

when I could have a rifle with terrible ergonomics, bad sights, and a horrible trigger>

Get a 7.62x39 AR then smart guy.  Those were all the rage years ago.  Your problem is solved.

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Try reloading for 7.62 x 39.  Almost no bullet options and VERY pricey brass (can't reload that steel cased stuff).
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:06:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Try reloading for 7.62 x 39.  Almost no bullet options and VERY pricey brass (can't reload that steel cased stuff).

Oh yes you can!
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:07:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

Get a 7.62x39 AR then smart guy.  Those were all the rage years ago.  Your problem is solved.

Swire, not trying to be an ass or anything, but what is with your dislike of the 300blk?  What about it, specifically, fosters what appears to be hate from you?
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:08:41 AM EDT
[#27]
I've been thinking about it despite not wanting to SBR or suppress it.   Got a lot of 30 bullets sitting around.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

In soviet russia steel case reloads you
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

http://imageshack.us/a/img138/714/img0736k.jpg

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:11:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://imageshack.us/a/img138/714/img0736k.jpg

ya thats 230Gr of fun..
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:12:42 AM EDT
[#31]
It's awesome, and easy to get on target-target penitration is also good with sub-sonics.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:12:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've been thinking about it despite not wanting to SBR or suppress it.   Got a lot of 30 bullets sitting around.

I wanted a good intermediate cartridge without having to touch commie shit.

Bullet selection is awesome
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:13:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

maybe sort of

Oh boy! Our resident expert on the subject is back with his M16!
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:15:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wanted a good intermediate cartridge without having to touch commie shit.

Bullet selection is awesome

If you are using modified mags. If not your limited to 8s Ogives or better. There are a few making very pointy bullets now for it. But the really heavy Subs, most need a modded mag to run right.

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Pic of my hot dog lobber:
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

Swire, not trying to be an ass or anything, but what is with your dislike of the 300blk?  What about it, specifically, fosters what appears to be hate from you?

People here talked it up so much and made it sound like an awesome cartridge.  Then when I took the time to research it I found out it is basically 7.62x39.  Why pay for high priced ammo and reconfigure your AR just to get that type of performance?   So you can use you same mags, so I guess it saves you money.  But it costs you a ton more to shoot it so there is no savings.

If 7.62x39 ballistics were so great then everyone would have converted their AR15s over to that caliber.  It didn't happen and 7.62x39 ARs are the red headed step children of the AR world.  Yet 300 Blackout which has similar performance is awesome?  I don't see the point.  Just another gimmick for someone to sell something.

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

People here talked it up so much and made it sound like an awesome cartridge.  Then when I took the time to research it I found out it is basically 7.62x39.  Why pay for high priced ammo and reconfigure your AR just to get that type of performance?   So you can use you same mags, so I guess it saves you money.  But it costs you a ton more to shoot it so there is no savings.

If 7.62x39 ballistics were so great then everyone would have converted their AR15s over to that caliber.  It didn't happen and 7.62x39 ARs are the red headed step children of the AR world.  Yet 300 Blackout which has similar performance is awesome?  I don't see the point.  Just another gimmick for someone to sell something.

Do you own a .30 cal silencer?
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

Do you own a .30 cal silencer?

thats about the best selling point of the round.. the can is what makes it fun.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

come on

The 300blk is an awesome round

there's really truly nothing bad to say about it

you got a 220 grain subsoinic and a AK power class supersonic round loaded into 223 brass and feeding from a standard mag

and you can switch the gun back to 223 in 30 seconds

the fact that it happens to be an "expensive" factory round is more than offset by the dirt cheap reloading you can do.

there no rifle on the planet that can hold a candle to the AR platform in terms of pure utility, its an incredible erector set modular gun platform, the range of spare parts and accessories is stunning

as soon as the panic tards stop running the price of guns to the moon I'm getting a 300bk upper

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#41]
I got into it because I wanted a .30 cal AR for deer hunting in the Sierra without spending a butt load of money.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:31:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Except the limiting factor is the 7.62godlesscommieshit cartridge itself.

7.62S AR mags suck, are expensive and not easy to find.

7.62S 's shape doesnt lend itself to the AR

bullet selection sucks in .311

reloading is expensive

and this is murica damnit we like new shinies to buy
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#43]
After I get some things paid off it will be my next build. 8" noveske with a can. I live in WA so of coarse it'll be put on a registered pistol lower.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Meanwhile somebody is shooting their CZ 7.62x39 bolt gun and wondering how to drop it from .5 MOA to .25 MOA.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Meanwhile somebody is shooting their CZ 7.62x39 bolt gun and wondering how to drop it from .5 MOA to .25 MOA.

I thought that people were complaining about less than stellar accuracy from CZ 7.62*39 bolt actions...?

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:39:46 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought that people were complaining about less than stellar accuracy from CZ 7.62*39 bolt actions...?

The people handloading for them were happy last time I checked. I can't handload for my AKs cheaper than I can buy ammo so I never really bothered. I got some good brass cased and found out that my AK was a 2MOA gun and then went back to steel. It's more accurate than I am offhand anyway.

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:41:59 AM EDT
[#47]
if you plan on SBR'ing it and getting a can, then yes, totally worth it.  This is where the round truly shines.  

Want just a basic 16" unsuppressed rifle?  Not as appealing to some but whatever floats your boat.  

BTW, unless you reload prepare to have limited at best opportunities to shoot it.  300BLK ammo (especially plinking stuff) is hard to find nowadays

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:57:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's why I wanted it. Subsonic surpressed hog killer.

Looks like you have your answer, you want it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#49]
I got a UPS notification that my 300BLK barrel will be here on Friday.  Deer Beware!
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#50]
I think it is an excellent flavor of the month. But only get it if it is what you want.  
Part of the fun with Blackout is reloading - but you should already be set up to do that anyway, Right?
Part of the fun with Blackout is suppressed - but you should already have a can or two laying around as well, Right?
Part of the fun with Blackout is it works really well with a short barrel - no problems there either, Right?
Blackout can really shine, with the right ammo, and as a sbr and/or suppressed rifle.  If you are just getting a 16" rifle that you want to blast with and not suppress - there are potentially other very good options.
That said, finished my first Blackout Build on Monday (err - finished accept for waiting for the ATF)...  I have another potential 2 builds (sb and fudd rifles) on it I might start someday (in the next 2 months), with a 3rd and 4th (integrated suppressed, and lever action) that are highly unlikely, but would be a lot of fun.
My first blackout build - opps, its a fudd gun (300/357 using blackout dies and reamer).

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top