BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I think it is an excellent flavor of the month. But only get it if it is what you want.  

Part of the fun with Blackout is reloading - but you should already be set up to do that anyway, Right?

Part of the fun with Blackout is suppressed - but you should already have a can or two laying around as well, Right?

Part of the fun with Blackout is it works really well with a short barrel - no problems there either, Right?

Blackout can really shine, with the right ammo, and as a sbr and/or suppressed rifle.  If you are just getting a 16" rifle that you want to blast with and not suppress - there are potentially other very good options.

That said, finished my first Blackout Build on Monday (err - finished accept for waiting for the ATF)...  I have another potential 2 builds (sb and fudd rifles) on it I might start someday (in the next 2 months), with a 3rd and 4th (integrated suppressed, and lever action) that are highly unlikely, but would be a lot of fun.

My first blackout build - opps, its a fudd gun (300/357 using blackout dies and reamer).

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s571/Mousehunter1/contender_zps6c7474b5.jpghttp://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s571/Mousehunter1/rabbit_zps659b8559.jpg

more info on the 300/357 please..
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

What's not to love about a .30 cal rifle that is easily reloaded for?

Because it has the ballistics of 7.62x39.  What's the point.  Might as well just get an AK.

um' because AR's shoot better than AK's? and better/more bullets are availabe.

but ya, right now its roll your own...

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Will post just a bit on the 300/357 (kind of my name for it, as it is
full on wildcat).  Quick research shows you the 300wtf issue.  There
have been quite a few different flavors that have pre-existed the now
standardized AAC Blackout.  The most common were the 300/221 and 300
whisper.  Someone in the TC community came up with a 300/221 rimmed.  In
a perfect world, you can take a 357 maximum and cut it down to 300/221
length and get a rimmed cartridge that avoiding a head spacing issues
(due to the small bottleneck) and simplified extraction on an action
designed for rimmed cartridges.  Meanwhile, at one point, rossi
attempted a 300/357 project of their own for a 1892 calling it a 300
Puma (I could not find actually specs for that one, only 1-2 posts even
acknowledging it existed).  Anyway, playing arround on the internet - I
found that E. Author Brown catalogs a 300/221 rimmed falling block
rifle, and someone on some forum mentioned that MGM had made some
300/221 rimmed barrels.  I also noticed a small handful of forum posts
playing with the idea - including using 357 mag rather than 357 max
brass (you give up 0.1" of neck).  
So we have a modern incarnation of a 32/20 - using very common, high
pressure 357 bass.  Unless I push the edges, it should be able to
duplicate most 300 AAC Blackout loads (and as I want it for suppressed, I
am really not worried about pushing the pressure limits).  I ordered my
barrel +/- December 14th.  It came in last week (got held up for 2
weeks because the rim was not cut).  It is 300 AAC Blackout barrel (I
got a little "humm" when I tried to order it with a WTF headstamp),
rebated for a 357 mag rim.  Since it is spec 300 AAC Blackout reamed,
should be no issue with using longer bullets.
and I am holding my breath to take it to the range and see what it
does...  I am really hoping I do not have any sizing issues due to
rimmed versus non-rimmed shell holders (ie, hoping I will not have play
with die depth), and also hoping I do not get too many neck splits for
using nickle plated brass and sizing w/o annealing (not much sizing
involved starting with 357 mag brass).  So far my only known problem is that 0.1" has been crimping.  I am pretty sure the standard crimp die will not work, and the collet crimp can barely crimp it (might end up modifying that die).
here are a few of the posts I found before I started down this rabbits hole.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?156786-30-357-or-300-rimmed-BLK general discussion on idea

http://www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2438 more specific with problems of the 357 max

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/05/09/interesting-300-aac-blk-357-wildcat/probably the post that got me started

oh, and I can not leave out http://www.silencerresearch.com/covert_whisper_300_whisper_article.htm the suppressed Thompson Contender page.

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Do eeeeet!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 6:57:44 AM EDT
[#5]
just a bump to keep the thread alive.

Took my 300 blackout (rimmed) pistol out this weekend.  The small handful of subsonics I had loaded fired nicely.  Learned a lot though.  1) cheep scopes whiteout around 7:30pm looking due west.  I managed a few shots with my free hand blocking glare before my chrono could not see anything either.  2) don't forgot the shields for chrono.  3) Accuracy goes to hell when your scope starts to twist in the mounts (should have cleaned the oil off the scope and possibly used some locktite).  

That said, before the cross hairs started to move it was pretty much shooting a single hole group at 25 yards - accurate enough for a pistol.  Need to work up the load a bit as it was shooting about 600fps.  Funny how that works when cycling is not an issue.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I just saw a Remington 700 16 inch barrel in 300 Blackout.....Threaded barrel.....

DAMN!!!!

Just gotta get the can FIRST!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
nope.. pass on it its a flavor of the month round.. and ammo is too expensive!

This..
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:04:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I was thinking of a 300 BLK but have decided on a 6X45 instead.  I believe it will be a great Deer or Pig killer and very easy to reload for.  Not hating on the 300BLK just decided against it at this time.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:13:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I can't believe people don't know who Fat_McNasty is, replies telling him about the 300blk make me laugh

He's the mack daddy of 300blk!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top