Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/22/2005 9:21:25 AM EDT
I was in town today and saw a woman in a van in front of me hit a little dog that wandered across the road. The sad part was the little boy standing on the sidewalk watching his pet be killed. The boy reached out his arms and cried while the dog's legs twitched and then went limp. I had to swerve myself to miss the animal. The woman just kept going without a care in the world. Normally I don't care about roadkill, and I'm not a freekish animal lover, but seeing the little boy watching his pet die in front of him while it's killer ran off made me sad.
Merry Christmas lady
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:22:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you get her plate number?  Do anything to help?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:23:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Merry Christmas lady

no shit!

sorry little fella...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:24:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:25:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Was it a police van?  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Keep your dog out of the road, that way it won't get hit.  

I hate the idea of the kid watching his pet get nailed, but really, don't let kids or dogs play in the street.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#6]
She was probably running late for her PETA fundraiser.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:31:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Did you get her plate number?

For what?  Did she do anything illegal?

Did she even know she hit it?

(was she chatting on her cell phone?)

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:33:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Somebody ran over my boy's dog a coupla months back.

Bad deal, my heart goes out to the kid.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:34:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
She was probably running late for her PETA fundraiser.

This is really sad, but that right there is funny I don't care who ya are.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn.  I read that and I started crying.

Brings back a very vivid mental snapshot from when I was
a kid.

Damnit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:43:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm sure she was way too busy talking on her cell phone to even notice.   Damn bitch!  

TC

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:44:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Its a bad situation...espically with small dogs.  I feel bad for something that happened with me this past fall.  I live in a rural area.  My wife and I run...probably 4-5 times a week for a total of 20 miles over the course of that week.  People in the country don't keep their dogs tied up and some, espically the rat sized ones, like to come out on the road and chase you for a couple hundred feet.  We weer running (with the baby stroller in toe).  We were coming up on a trailer that had a small terrier that liked to chase us.  We were to the extream far left of the road and a car was coming up behind us around 40-45 mph.  You guessed it, the small pouch saw us coming and ran out to meet us.  The woman in the car wasn't paying attention and going a little too fast.  The second that little dog stepped out of the yard (which we weren't even to yet) the little dog was hit.  I know it didn't see the car coming because the dog and I had fixed eyes on each other...at least the pooch didn't feel anything because it sure didn't see it coming...that bothered me for a while.  

I love dogs and have a vizsla that sleeps in the bed with the wife and I.  But he knows to stay off the road...its almost like those little dogs are just so wound up that they can't help but chase pedestrians.  

Theres a big old Rot on one of our routes that every now and again makes us have a speed work out.  That beast scares the daylights out of my wife.  Its funny to watch the random little dogs, you can tell they want to bite you, btu your moving to fast and their to short to get a hold of you.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:50:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Would you rather her hit the dog, or swerve to miss the dog and hit the kid?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Same thing happened to me as a kid. Life ain't fair and you might as well start learning young. Also got shown a good lesson about how not to be in the bitch just driving off.

When I was about 21 I hit a weiner dog. Did everything I could to miss it but it happened so quick. It was sickening. The dog had a collar with an address. I put him in the back of the truck and took him there. No one home him
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#17]
that's horrible
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Did you stop to help the kid?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#19]
That's awful. Now I want to find out some way to make some kids christmas better around here.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:55:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Did you stop to help the kid?

Next thing you know your a child molester/pervert. Sad, but true.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#21]
    The stupid bitch wasn't paying any attention to her driving.Probably on the cell phone talking to her libtard friends.I feel sorry for the little boy and the dog.Too bad he didn't use a leash.  
                             Very sad.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#22]
The first Christmas me and the wife spent together we watched a dog (nice reteriver) get run over by a complete fucktard on a snow covered hill.

The kids of the owner of the dog had let it out to play in the snow (complete residential neighborhood), the dog was a "runner", so when it got bord of playing with the kids it took off and ran out into the middle of a semi busy snow covered street with a hill.

The dog was just running around, fucktard turned down the street and kept on going even though he saw the dog. Fucktards wife was yapping away, I was driving and had approached the hill when I told the wife that fucktard was going to hit the dog. I stopped and started flashing my lights and honking the horn and told the wife to get out of the car and try to get fucktards attention or get the dog to move (without going after the dog).

All fucktard had to do to TRY to avoid hitting the dog was get into the left lane.
That's why I stopped, fucktard had plenty of room to move over before he got to the dog.
In my opinion fucktard had plenty of time to stop and avoid the dog if fucktard had been paying attention to driving instead of talking to his cunt-whore wife.

In slow motion, after fucktard could do nothing about avoiding the dog, fucktard realized that the dog was not going to move and that fucktard could do nothing at that point but hit the dog.
Fucktard slammed on his brakes and fucktards car started sliding.
It slid and hit the dog and ran over the dogs back end with the front tires.
Fucktard then let off the brakes and hit the dogs body square in the middle of the dogs back. By this time fucktard had hit the bottom of the hill and was able to stop.

I was so fucking pissed off at this point that I was about ready to drag fucktard through his window and show him what he did to the dog.

When fucktards cunt-whore wife started wailing and crying about it not being fucktards fault about hitting the dog, that was it for me.

I let fucktard and his wife have it full bore at about 2 inches from fucktards face.
I ended up telling fucktard he should go find the dogs owner as by now the wife had gotten the ID tag from the (now dead) dog with the owners name and address on it.

Fucktard turned really white, jumped back into his car and took off.
I had gotten fucktards liscense plate number.

I left the wife to stay by the dog and went looking for the dogs owner.

I broke my heart to see a couple of 8-12 year old kids running around the neighborhood looking for their dog.

I found the dad and told him what happened, he got in his car and followed me.

A cop had seen my wife standing by the dog, so he stopped and was calling it in when me and the guy showed up.

I gave the info to the cop and to the guy and asked if the cop would be able to do anything about it.

He told me that if anything he would have to give the owner of the dog a citation (which he didn't do)
for failure to control his dog in city limits.

That kind of ruined me and the wifes Christmas day that year.  

15 years later and I swear if I ever saw fucktard again I would kick the living shit out of him.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Lets see here:  You let your dog run loose in the street and it got killed.  In what way is it anybody's fault but the boy and his parents??????
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I hate the idea of the kid watching his pet get nailed, but really, don't let kids or dogs play in the street.

We have a dumbass neighbor that has a mean border collie. I have shot at it once while riding my bike and being attacked. They have lived on our street for less than two years and I have already had them cited for dog at large. Now they have a border collie puppy that is taking lessons from the old turd dog and now will run out into the street. I will swerve to hit the little F***er.

But I must admit, the first story was sad.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The first Christmas me and the wife spent together we watched a dog (nice reteriver) get run over by a complete fucktard on a snow covered hill.

The kids of the owner of the dog had let it out to play in the snow (complete residential neighborhood), the dog was a "runner", so when it got bord of playing with the kids it took off and ran out into the middle of a semi busy snow covered street with a hill.

The dog was just running around, fucktard turned down the street and kept on going even though he saw the dog. Fucktards wife was yapping away, I was driving and had approached the hill when I told the wife that fucktard was going to hit the dog. I stopped and started flashing my lights and honking the horn and told the wife to get out of the car and try to get fucktards attention or get the dog to move (without going after the dog).

All fucktard had to do to TRY to avoid hitting the dog was get into the left lane.
That's why I stopped, fucktard had plenty of room to move over before he got to the dog.
In my opinion fucktard had plenty of time to stop and avoid the dog if fucktard had been paying attention to driving instead of talking to his cunt-whore wife.

In slow motion, after fucktard could do nothing about avoiding the dog, fucktard realized that the dog was not going to move and that fucktard could do nothing at that point but hit the dog.
Fucktard slammed on his brakes and fucktards car started sliding.
It slid and hit the dog and ran over the dogs back end with the front tires.
Fucktard then let off the brakes and hit the dogs body square in the middle of the dogs back. By this time fucktard had hit the bottom of the hill and was able to stop.

I was so fucking pissed off at this point that I was about ready to drag fucktard through his window and show him what he did to the dog.

When fucktards cunt-whore wife started wailing and crying about it not being fucktards fault about hitting the dog, that was it for me.

I let fucktard and his wife have it full bore at about 2 inches from fucktards face.
I ended up telling fucktard he should go find the dogs owner as by now the wife had gotten the ID tag from the (now dead) dog with the owners name and address on it.

Fucktard turned really white, jumped back into his car and took off.
I had gotten fucktards liscense plate number.

I left the wife to stay by the dog and went looking for the dogs owner.

I broke my heart to see a couple of 8-12 year old kids running around the neighborhood looking for their dog.

I found the dad and told him what happened, he got in his car and followed me.

A cop had seen my wife standing by the dog, so he stopped and was calling it in when me and the guy showed up.

I gave the info to the cop and to the guy and asked if the cop would be able to do anything about it.

He told me that if anything he would have to give the owner of the dog a citation (which he didn't do)
for failure to control his dog in city limits.

That kind of ruined me and the wifes Christmas day that year.  

15 years later and I swear if I ever saw fucktard again I would kick the living shit out of him.

Should have controled his dog.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

<snip>

Are you really that heartless?  You know absolutely nothing of the circumstances preceding the event.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lets see here:  You let your dog run loose in the street and it got killed.  In what way is it anybody's fault but the boy and his parents??????

+1

.....not much else to say.

Shit happens....unless you're on a motorcycle (I've ran over a cat that darted across the street), you really can't feel anything when you hit it.  a 3500 lbs vehicle, versus a 20lb animal.

I've run over countless dead animals in my car, and only realized it when its too late, and I can say for certain, I could not feel any impact at all.

She/they probably didn't know what they hit, or they hit anything at all.  Its not so much as being heartless........but really, what can you do?!  I've pulled over to try to help a injured animal....these are the choices you have, do nothing, watch it die.  Call the police, who will tell you to call animal control, they pick it up, do nothing, it still dies, or YOU take it to a Vet, and pay to have it cared for......and let me  tell you, its not cheap!

IMHO
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

Are you really that heartless?  You know absolutely nothing of the circumstances preceding the event.  

Like what?  
Space aliens chased the dog into the street?
The kid is a Jeffrey Dahmer in training and tossed the dog into the street?

The dog was in the street and got hit.
Nuff said.

Streets are for cars, not kids and dogs.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted By giacutter

How do either of you know if it was "loose on the street" or "playing in the street?" Last time i checked it's a free country, & a little kid can walk his dog on the sidewalk if he wants to. What if the dog got away from the kid, afterall he is just a kid, i've had dogs take off on me with the leash before. Not everyone in the world is as perfect & mistake- free as you guys seem to think you are.    

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:49:52 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

Like what?  

Nuff said.

So what if your kid ran into the street (chasing a ball for example) and was killed by a car.  By your rationale you would just shrug your shoulders and say that it was your kids fault and move on with life.  God forbid, if I ever hit a kid in my car, I sure hope that the kid has parents like you.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

Like what?  

Nuff said.

So what if your kid ran into the street (chasing a ball for example) and was killed by a car.  By your rationale you would just shrug your shoulders and say that it was your kids fault and move on with life.  God forbid, if I ever hit a kid in my car, I sure hope that the kid has parents like you.

I would be upset, but it is not the fault of the driver. I would be just as upset for the driver having to live with the result of the accident. My father-in-law hit and killed an indian drunk and passed out, laying in the road, in the dark on a remote highway with a 75MPH speed limit when he was young. Yeah, it was unfortunate and all but you have to get over it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#32]
I was driving thru the inner city of Toledo a couple of years ago, and not 1 but 2 dogs ran out in front of my F-250.  I slammed on the brakes but too late.  thump-thump.  I pulled over and one of the dogs owners came out, man was he pissed.  I apoligized several times.  Apparently the 2 dogs were enemies, and one had snuck across the street to get into the others food bowl.  The one dog was chasing the other one.  

The guy wanted to literally kill me.  There was nothing I could do, and felt extremely bad.  2 medium sized dogs, maybe 50 lbs each.

The funny thing about the whole deal, this old codger of a neighbor came out, said I should drive down the street more often.

The one owners son startng getting real mouthy, I offered to pay him 100 dollars.  Just kept running his mouth, was gonna fuck me up for killing his old mans dog.  I decided to split, before there were 2 dead dogs and a dead son.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:14:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I was driving thru the inner city of Toledo a couple of years ago, and not 1 but 2 dogs ran out in front of my F-250.  I slammed on the brakes but too late.  thump-thump.  I pulled over and one of the dogs owners came out, man was he pissed.  I apoligized several times.  Apparently the 2 dogs were enemies, and one had snuck across the street to get into the others food bowl.  The one dog was chasing the other one.  

The guy wanted to literally kill me.  There was nothing I could do, and felt extremely bad.  2 medium sized dogs, maybe 50 lbs each.

The funny thing about the whole deal, this old codger of a neighbor came out, said I should drive down the street more often.

The one owners son startng getting real mouthy, I offered to pay him 100 dollars.  Just kept running his mouth, was gonna fuck me up for killing his old mans dog.  I decided to split, before there were 2 dead dogs and a dead son.

Yeah, you don't suppose that's why more people don't stop, do you?

The dog owners who can't be bothered to control their animals and then try to equate them to a human life when they get hit in the street. It isn't like you hit it on purpose. There's no need to act like an asshole to make yourself feel better.

Sad story, but as was said earlier, things in the street tend to get killed when struck by cars. You can't stop on a dime and you don't always see things (especially small animals) dart into the street. Even if you do, there's no sense in killing yourself or someone else, trying to avoid a dog.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

Like what?  

Nuff said.

No.
The rationale is that "if you keep kids/dogs out of the street, THEY WON'T GET HIT BY CARS!"

It doesn't matter if my kid runs into the street to get a ball, a toy, or to check out his squished dog.  He's still dead.  No amount of explanation or justification for the kid's presence in the street will bring him back to life!  Wether the car was speeding or the driver was not paying attention will matter NOT ONE BIT.

Therefore, it is my responsibility to train and keep my kids from entering the street because a two-ton automobile shows no remorse.

"It cannot be bargained with.
It cannot be reasoned with.
And it absolutely will not stop ..."
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

sure it may be their fault, but geez have some fucking sympathy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sure it may be their fault, but geez have some fucking sympathy.

It's not about "sympathy".
It's a response to "Did you get her plate number?", which is somewhat of an assignation of blame.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

+1 Nobody here knows any of the details. It's an unfortunate incident for the child that he will remember the rest of his life.  I'm always amazed at how unthoughtful some can be on this board.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#38]
If anyone was careless, it was the kid's parents who allow their dogs to run free, even with the kid.

Our dog started running, and the first thing we did was get a wireless fence.  He now stays in the yard at all times and we don't have to worry about it.  He hasn't even had his collar on for a few months.  We did that because WE CARE ABOUT OUR DOG AND DON'T WANT HIM HIT.

It amazes me when I drive through town and see cats, dogs etc. just running around the streets with collars on.  The owners can't care that much about their animals if they let them run in the streets like that.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#39]
In some states I believe it is illegal to leave the scene of a domesticated animal being hit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Sad story

I can train a dog to stay out of the road in 15-30 minutes. Not sure what some people's problem is.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#41]
I agree people should keep thier dogs under control. I just said it was a sad thing to see the little boy reach out like that as the dog went limp. It is slow motion in my mind still. I did not get her plate number , because those things just happen. It's just sad that's all.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:51:25 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Shit happens....unless you're on a motorcycle (I've ran over a cat that darted across the street), you really can't feel anything when you hit it.  a 3500 lbs vehicle, versus a 20lb animal.

You sit in your 3500 pound vehicle with the engine running, and have someone swing a 20 pound sledge into the front of your car.  Bumper, hood, fenders.  I'll bet you feel it.

I had the unfortunate experience of running over a cat once.  It ran under the tire of the Volkswagon I was driving.  I definitely felt that.

Jim
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:19:36 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
We have a dumbass neighbor that has a mean border collie. .

We had a neighbor with a dumbass golden retriever that would chase me on my motorcycle.  I would see him waiting for me to ride by and I would swing way out into the middle of the street and then when he lunged at me I would swing into him and kick the shit out of him with a size 10 Full Bore MX boot.  Dumb ass dog never did quit chasing me. They should make it an Olympic sport to see how many full rotations the rider can get out of the dog !!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Should have controled his dog.

I agree 100%.
I am sure that the owners kids learned a lesson they'll never forget on that Christmas day.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:31:47 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Yeah, reminds me of once several years ago when Mrs. NMSight drove into town to shop and came home bawling her head off. She was in town and traveling at the posted speed of 25 when this puppy shot out from between parked cars and she killed it. Turns out this family had just got this new puppy and they were playing with it in the front yard when it shot off.

Of course the whole family was bawling which got my wife going. They didn't blame her. If they had just used a little common sense it wouldn't have happened.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:48:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#47]
I've hit dogs and cats, (and other critters) and always felt them. I never stopped for one though.

If you don't want your pet to be road pizza, show a little responsibility and actually take care of it, rather than rely on others to constantly go out of their way to avoid the problem you've unleashed on them.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:33:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Am I going to be the first person to suggest that the dog should have been on a leash?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Am I going to be the first person to suggest that the dog should have been on a leash?

That was mentioned before, and that the kid could have dropped the leash. Either way, the dog was where it shouldn't have been, and it would have done no good for the lady to go back and watch it twitch.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:02:08 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was mentioned before, and that the kid could have dropped the leash. Either way, the dog was where it shouldn't have been, and it would have done no good for the lady to go back and watch it twitch.

Sucks for all parties involved. If the kid dropped the leash, then perhaps he isn't old enough for the responsibility of walking the dog. Maybe it'd be best for the parents to wait a few years til he can handle the responsibility. Dog runs into road, gets killed, hard life lesson for the kid.

I've had a problem with the neighbors allowing their dogs to roam. That shit has apparently stopped after the last incident where I brought the dog in question into my fenced yard (dog was fairly friendly). The owner came onto my property to retrieve the dog, and I saw him leading it away. I told him that "gee, thought it was a stray, and I was just getting ready to call the cops and have them haul it off to the pound". He didn't like the idea of his $700 purebred dog going to the pound apparently, and has been keeping it leashed since. Or it could be the subsequent visit from Animal control to have a chat with him.  The "No Tresspassing" signs went up on my property shortly thereafter, needless to say.

The point there is that some people are just dumbasses, and are going to let their animals roam unless you get some govt help with the situation. With my neighbor, no amount of complaining was going to do the trick.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top