Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2011 9:46:37 AM EDT
It happens to me a lot; I author a work of sarcasm and it is too subtle to be perceived by most. There is a reason for this; I always though sarcasm was best when it was just barely perceptible, too obvious and it looses all its charm and impact. That it should try and convey the full flavor of the fallacy, sophism, or idiocy that inspired it.  

So the question is what is good satire?

The response to this post prompted this thread.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#1]
This is the best post I've ever seen on ARFcom.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

plusone
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:00:44 AM EDT
[#4]
IBTL.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#6]
You are the most intelligent, insightful member of the forum.
Sarcasm, to me at least, is easier perceived when spoken than written.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ouch
see too obvious.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:05:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

This certainly meets the OP's definition of sarcasm...
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#9]
You didn't consider your audience.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#10]
When I think my sarcasm may be taken seriously, I add a disclaimer.

This post captioned for the humor-impaired.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Sarcasm rarely translates well.  I usually try to throw in a , or something to indicate 'not serious'...

ETA: or, a
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I have found most people don't even get it in person let alone in writing....
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It happens to me a lot; I author a work of sarcasm and it is too subtle to be perceived by most. There is a reason for this; I always though sarcasm was best when it was just barely perceptible, too obvious and it looses all its charm and impact. That it should try and convey the full flavor of the fallacy, sophism, or idiocy that inspired it.  

A very insightful post. You make several good points.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:35:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Sarcasm is lost on children and fools.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ouch

see too obvious.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Isn't that the point, though? For it to release all of its charm and impact?

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You failed, it wasn't even a respectable effort at sarcasm.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#19]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Understanding

Understanding the subtlety of this usage requires second-order interpretation of the speaker's intentions. This sophisticated understanding can be lacking in some people with certain forms of brain damage, dementia and autism,[11] and this perception has been located by MRI in the right parahippocampal gyrus.[12][13]

This explains a lot.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:55:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The OP might have missed that one.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:58:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Use my patent-pending method of conveying your sarcasm through The Sarcasm Indicator, or "@" at the end of your post.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate when I do that. I feel like such a looser.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:14:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate when I do that. I feel like such a looser.

*GASP!!*   I was only being sarcastic. Calm down.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#24]
See sigline.

Or don't.*
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Here's a tip: Repeating an opinion some dolts actually have - not sarcasm, unless the reader knows who the hell you are and that it's impossible you would hold this opinion.

Here is a very slight rewrite of your statement in the other thread that might not have confused as much.  I think the key is to include references to facts that are obviously untrue - as opposed to opinions you might have.

Economy is _not_ recovering

All Obama did was...nothing.

Obama has no plan

The rich pay most taxes, certainly more than their "fair share"

etc...

It is without question that the so called "tea-bagger party" hacks are actively
trying to damage our obviously recovering economy simply so they can delight in saying
"neener neener neeener" to the American people. President Obama narrowly
brought us back from the brink of disaster today due to his verbal restraint and patient inactivity.   The carefully detailed and cunningly crafted plan he has presented the American people will see us through the coming decades in prosperity - we can _all_ be rich, not just fat cats with corporate jets who don't pay their fair share.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Here's a tip: Repeating an opinion some dolts actually have - not sarcasm, unless the reader knows who the hell you are and that it's impossible you would hold this opinion.

Here is a very slight rewrite of your statement in the other thread that might not have confused as much.  I think the key is to include references to facts that are obviously untrue - as opposed to opinions you might have.

Economy is _not_ recovering
All Obama did was...nothing.
Obama has no plan
The rich pay most taxes, certainly more than their "fair share"
etc...

It is without question that the so called "tea-bagger party" hacks are actively trying to damage our obviously recovering economy simply so they can delight in saying "neener neener neeener" to the American people. President Obama narrowly brought us back from the brink of disaster today due to his verbal restraint and patient inactivity.   The carefully detailed and cunningly crafted plan he has presented the American people will see us through the coming decades in prosperity - we can _all_ be rich, not just fat cats with corporate jets who don't pay their fair share.

Fantastic!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top